JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

As I investigated the Greek word translated “examine” (Strongs 1381), I was completely surprised by this entry from HELPS Word-Studies that immediately transformed my understanding of what this introspection is all about.

1381 /dokimázō ("to approve by testing") is done to demonstrate what is good, i.e. passes the necessary test.

1381 (dokimázō) does not focus on disproving something (i.e. to show it is bad).

The Strongs definition for the use of this word in 1Cor.11:28 is this:

to test, examine, prove, scrutinize (to see whether a thing be genuine or not), as metals

I think believers tend to take this verse only in a rather somber negative way, as we exhort ourselves to search our hearts for unrepentant and hidden sins that need to be confessed.  That is certainly a part of the self-examination we should do before participating in the Communion of the Lord’s Table.  Paul cautioned believers not to partake in a manner that disrespects this holy meal or our fellow participants.  To bring sin we secretly nurture or harbor into this holy remembrance without an attempt to face it, or to hypocritically participate as though this was merely a required ritual that has no personal meaning or impact, makes one “guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord.”  Paul issued a call to ask the Holy Spirit to reveal what is in our hearts (ulterior motives, core attitudes, selfish desires - not just a list of what we’ve done) and then be humbly willing to confess and repent of it to God so that His forgiveness can be applied.  Then we are spiritually fit to commemorate the physical sacrifice Christ made for our spiritual salvation. I know that this process can be something of a difficult “downer” that often leaves us feeling subdued and gloomy, even a bit condemned if we aren’t careful.

However, according to the full definition of the word dokimázō, the real concept here is positive, not negative.  This examination does require identifying what is not good and genuine, and then confessing/repenting.  But I think we’ve generally been taught to stop there.  What I now discern is that this process of cleansing is only a step (though a crucial required one) intended to move us forward to the exhilarating point of an awareness of God’s approval.  The ultimate focus of this examination of self is not to show something is bad, but to “demonstrate what is good” and prove what “passes the necessary test” of purity and authenticity!  The purpose is not to dwell on disapproval of our human failures with an adverse prideful focus on self, but to discern what abides in us that is good and genuine and acceptable to God with an affirming fresh focus on Him!  We’re to move through the negatives in order to land on the positives.  This makes my heart soar!

What I see here is that this self-examination should lead us to renewed gratitude and overflowing joy as we prepare to partake of Communion.  Once done dealing with the realities of what needs the application of God’s forgiveness, we’re prepared to renew our focus and commitment to all the glorious things that we possess in Christ, including His nature, character, and purposes that have been placed within us by the presence of His Spirit (Heb.12:10b; 2Peter 1:4; 1John 3:2-3).  That commitment leads us to put off the old self and to put on the new self of righteousness and holiness (Eph. 4:22-24), which means we don’t want to think, speak, and act like the unregenerate sinner we used to be.  We now desire to live according to the divine moral purity, love, and grace that dwells in us.

Just from Ephesians 1:3-14, we have an amazing list to celebrate: every spiritual blessing in heavenly places – holiness - blameless position before God - adoption as the Father’s child - the riches of His glorious grace - redemption through Christ’s blood - forgiveness of our trespasses against God - spiritual wisdom and insight - knowledge of the mystery of God’s will - a guaranteed glorious eternal inheritance - a hope in Christ that causes praise of His glory - and the Holy Spirit within as a seal of surety. These things are planted within us and they are for us to live by in a conscious way.  One of the primary things I think we are to celebrate in the Lord’s Supper is this transformation He accomplished.  We should rejoice in our death to sin as Christ defeated it forever on the cross, knowing that we're no longer bound to the old life and nature of the flesh. Our lips should be filled with unbounded praise for the resurrection of life in Him as new creations with the hope of future eternal glory united to Him, as co-heirs of all that is provided through His victory over sin’s consequence of death!

There is sunshine in my soul today, More glorious and bright
Than glows in any earthly sky, For Jesus is my light.

There is music in my soul today, For when my Lord is near
The dove of peace sings in my heart, The flow’rs of grace appear.

There is gladness in my soul today, And hope and praise and love,
For blessings which He gives me now, For joys laid up above.

REFRAIN: O there's sunshine, blessed sunshine,  While the peaceful, happy moments roll;
When Jesus shows His smiling face There is sunshine in my soul.

(SUNSHINE IN MY SOUL by Eliza E. Hewitt)

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of self-examination at the Lord's Table is appropriate? Unrepentant sin

How do confession and repentance fit with self-examination? Acknowledge sin to others or to God, Repent, go forward.

How do confession and repentance serve to bring spiritual health and character change?  Set yourself free

Q4. (1 Corinthians 11:28) What kind of self-examination at the Lord’s Table is appropriate? How do confession and repentance fit with self-examination? How do confession and repentance serve to bring spiritual health and character change? 

The self examination that we are to do as we approach the Lord's table is one in which we are mindful of the word's of the Lord's prayer "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." We are told "And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." (Mark 11:25) We must never forget the great commandment "Love your neighbour self." So as we come to communion we need to sort out our relations with our neighbours, mend our fences and than partake of the communion table.   For there the grace of God abounds and we partake of forgiveness of sins as we participate with our fellows in the meal provided by the Lord.

​another aspect we need to address as we come to the table is our care of the poor and the unfortunate. In verses 21-22 we see Paul criticizing the rich for shaming the poor as the bring big luxurious and delicious meals to be eaten at the common meal and not sharing with those who are in need. This sharing of our resources and the looking after the needy is a constant and important theme throughout the new testament and a major portion of the old testament. we should, before we come to the table,  see to those who are unfortunate, feed, clothe and visit them- than we come to the table.

We examine our self as we come to the table, confess our sins, repent of them and make our selves right with our neighbour and than present ourselves at the table.

I find it hard to comprehend that a God of Love will cause evil things to happen to people. It does not seem to be the character of the God I know and love. On the other hand Paul is quite clear that by being unworthy at the ord's table such evil things  happen to people. A question might be asked " How many people are turned from their sins by suffering and pain. Do not more turn the other way and course  God. Job was quite adamant that  God had not caused his troubles. 

Q4. (1 Corinthians 11:28) What kind of self-examination at the Lord’s Table is appropriate? How do confession and repentance fit with self-examination? How do confession and repentance serve to bring spiritual health and character change? 

The self examination that we are to do as we approach the Lord's table is one in which we are mindful of the word's of the Lord's prayer "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." We are told "And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." (Mark 11:25) We must never forget the great commandment "Love your neighbour self." So as we come to communion we need to sort out our relations with our neighbours, mend our fences and than partake of the communion table.   For there the grace of God abounds and we partake of forgiveness of sins as we participate with our fellows in the meal provided by the Lord.

​another aspect we need to address as we come to the table is our care of the poor and the unfortunate. In verses 21-22 we see Paul criticizing the rich for shaming the poor as the bring big luxurious and delicious meals to be eaten at the common meal and not sharing with those who are in need. This sharing of our resources and the looking after the needy is a constant and important theme throughout the new testament and a major portion of the old testament. we should, before we come to the table,  see to those who are unfortunate, feed, clothe and visit them- than we come to the table.

We examine our self as we come to the table, confess our sins, repent of them and make our selves right with our neighbour and than present ourselves at the table.

I find it hard to comprehend that a God of Love will cause evil things to happen to people. It does not seem to be the character of the God I know and love. On the other hand Paul is quite clear that by being unworthy at the ord's table such evil things  happen to people. A question might be asked " How many people are turned from their sins by suffering and pain. Do not more turn the other way and course  God. Job was quite adamant that  God had not caused his troubles. 

As I investigated the Greek word translated “examine” (Strongs 1381), I was completely surprised by this entry from HELPS Word-Studies that immediately transformed my understanding of what this introspection is all about.

1381 /dokimázō ("to approve by testing") is done to demonstrate what is good, i.e. passes the necessary test.

1381 (dokimázō) does not focus on disproving something (i.e. to show it is bad).

The Strongs definition for the use of this word in 1Cor.11:28 is this:

to test, examine, prove, scrutinize (to see whether a thing be genuine or not), as metals

I think believers tend to take this verse only in a rather somber negative way, as we exhort ourselves to search our hearts for unrepentant and hidden sins that need to be confessed.  That is certainly a part of the self-examination we should do before participating in the Communion of the Lord’s Table.  Paul cautioned believers not to partake in a manner that disrespects this holy meal or our fellow participants.  To bring sin we secretly nurture or harbor into this holy remembrance without an attempt to face it, or to hypocritically participate as though this was merely a required ritual that has no personal meaning or impact, makes one “guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord.”  Paul issued a call to ask the Holy Spirit to reveal what is in our hearts (ulterior motives, core attitudes, selfish desires - not just a list of what we’ve done) and then be humbly willing to confess and repent of it to God so that His forgiveness can be applied.  Then we are spiritually fit to commemorate the physical sacrifice Christ made for our spiritual salvation. I know that this process can be something of a difficult “downer” that often leaves us feeling subdued and gloomy, even a bit condemned if we aren’t careful.

However, according to the full definition of the word dokimázō, the real concept here is positive, not negative.  This examination does require identifying what is not good and genuine, and then confessing/repenting.  But I think we’ve generally been taught to stop there.  What I now discern is that this process of cleansing is only a step (though a crucial required one) intended to move us forward to the exhilarating point of an awareness of God’s approval.  The ultimate focus of this examination of self is not to show something is bad, but to “demonstrate what is good” and prove what “passes the necessary test” of purity and authenticity!  The purpose is not to dwell on disapproval of our human failures with an adverse prideful focus on self, but to discern what abides in us that is good and genuine and acceptable to God with an affirming fresh focus on Him!  We’re to move through the negatives in order to land on the positives.  This makes my heart soar!

What I see here is that this self-examination should lead us to renewed gratitude and overflowing joy as we prepare to partake of Communion.  Once done dealing with the realities of what needs the application of God’s forgiveness, we’re prepared to renew our focus and commitment to all the glorious things that we possess in Christ, including His nature, character, and purposes that have been placed within us by the presence of His Spirit (Heb.12:10b; 2Peter 1:4; 1John 3:2-3).  That commitment leads us to put off the old self and to put on the new self of righteousness and holiness (Eph. 4:22-24), which means we don’t want to think, speak, and act like the unregenerate sinner we used to be.  We now desire to live according to the divine moral purity, love, and grace that dwells in us.

Just from Ephesians 1:3-14, we have an amazing list to celebrate: every spiritual blessing in heavenly places – holiness - blameless position before God - adoption as the Father’s child - the riches of His glorious grace - redemption through Christ’s blood - forgiveness of our trespasses against God - spiritual wisdom and insight - knowledge of the mystery of God’s will - a guaranteed glorious eternal inheritance - a hope in Christ that causes praise of His glory - and the Holy Spirit within as a seal of surety. These things are planted within us and they are for us to live by in a conscious way.  One of the primary things I think we are to celebrate in the Lord’s Supper is this transformation He accomplished.  We should rejoice in our death to sin as Christ defeated it forever on the cross, knowing that we're no longer bound to the old life and nature of the flesh. Our lips should be filled with unbounded praise for the resurrection of life in Him as new creations with the hope of future eternal glory united to Him, as co-heirs of all that is provided through His victory over sin’s consequence of death!

There is sunshine in my soul today, More glorious and bright

Than glows in any earthly sky, For Jesus is my light.

There is music in my soul today, For when my Lord is near

The dove of peace sings in my heart, The flow’rs of grace appear.

There is gladness in my soul today, And hope and praise and love,

For blessings which He gives me now, For joys laid up above.

REFRAIN: O there's sunshine, blessed sunshine,  While the peaceful, happy moments roll;

When Jesus shows His smiling face There is sunshine in my soul.

(SUNSHINE IN MY SOUL by Eliza E. Hewitt)

I really like the way that you put a positive spin on examine and yes, we must also see the good that we have done.

wy

By asking God to reveal to us any sinfulness in our lives.  To keep short account of them. Confess & repent.

It's like looking in a mirror--we see the messy hair and just turn around & leave rather than combing our hair!  It is basically unfinished.

We become more aware of our sins and seek to live more holy lives.

I'll not ever forget the day our pastor began communion, then opted out for himself.  He said that the Holy Spirit had shown him something that had gone on with another individual that needed his confession and to right the wrong with that individual..  He didn't go into detail, but between services, took care of the problem by seeking the other person and making things right.  He could then participate in communion the next service with a clear conscience.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 11:28) What kind of self-examination at the Lord’s Table is appropriate?

Paul clarifies in v29 & 30 that he's speaking of eating and drinking "without discriminating and recognizing with due appreciation that it is Christ's body"....and that "careless and unworthy participation is the reason many are weak and sickly" etc. (Amplified) The Corinthians had been corrected for feasting and drunkenness while letting others go hungry at their gatherings. I believe Paul is admonishing them and any who followed to focus with gratitude on the Lord's sacrifice for each of us, and to not take lightly the great price He paid for our freedom and salvation

How do confession and repentance fit with self-examination?

Repentance means to "change your mind". This is key when we know we've sinned. Communion is a wonderful time to surrender my will and life afresh,  and to thank Him for His continual flow of cleansing and forgiveness, as well as for "strength for the journey" as was provided for 40 years in the wilderness after the lambs were slain at the first Passover. (the type and shadow of Communion and Christ's death)

How do confession and repentance serve to bring spiritual health and character change?

Recognition or acknowledgement is the first step in moving toward change. Until I see that I need to change direction or focus or behavior, I will continue on down the road. There can be no real spiritual health if I stay in denial about the need to change and heal, and refuse to surrender to His will and work. (In 12 step work it's called "keeping secrets from ourselves" which keep us "stuck")

To me, to approach the Lord's table in any way that is disrespectful or to approach it with offences against others requires us to be self examining. We can't come to the table of grace without gratitude and we also can't come to the table of grace withholding grace from a fellow Christian. Another aspect would be approaching the table of grace in gross sin. When we do these things we are in fact mocking the very name of Christ and what we as disciples profess to believe. If we do these things are we approaching in disrespect or disregard? Yes! Communion is a very sacred practice of proclaiming Christ and who He is and what He has done. It was at great cost and pain to Him so we should be very moved and reverent. I ask the Holy Spirit to bring to mind areas in my life that need addressed. Usually attitudes. I seek on this BEFORE communion and take them to Jesus and ask for help to change my heart in them. Then, when I take communion, my heart and mind can be freely on Him in gratitude and praise.

Repentance is to confess your sins and shortcomings and to be in agreement to turn from them. To have a change of heart and mind. We can approach the table confessing our sins, but unless we really desire to change and to follow Him as disciples, then we are just using His grace as cheap grace, like the person who is sorry he got "caught" in a crime but isn't really sorry he committed the crime. He's most likely to go out and do the crime again. When we examine ourselves we take real stock of the root of our sin or attitude and reflect on if we are really truly LIVING our faith. We don't make excuses....we are serious about being disciples because we love Jesus.

When we confess our sins and repent of them, we experience Godly sorrow. We realize how much we have need of His grace and how far we fall short. This produces humbleness and thankfulness and a softening of our heart and a renewed willingness to really follow this wonderful and beautiful Savior who has given His all for us. Our integrity is restored and we grow in good character because we become more like Jesus. He was what He taught! May we be so also!

1 Corinthians 11:28

Q). What kind of self-examination at the Lord's Table is appropriate?

A). Before we partake of the bread we need to examine our hearts, and then evaluate what we see. If the Lord reveals a problem, then we are to repent of it. The apostle Paul was instructing the Corinthians but his words hold true for the church today.

#

Q). How do confession and repentance fit with self-examination?

A). Self-examination is required so that we can know exactly what sins we should confess to and repent from.

#

Q). How do confession and repentance serve to bring spiritual health and character change?

A).  It is by confession and repentance that we are set free from the power of sin and the penalty of sin. And it is by our commitment to the spiritual practices of confession and repentance that He continues to sanctify our hearts.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

"I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins." Isaiah 43:25

Q4. (1 Corinthians 11:28) 

What kind of self-examination at the Lord's Table is appropriate? 

How do confession and repentance serve to bring spiritual health and character change?

The privilege we have of sharing in the Lord’s Supper demands the strictest form of self-examination. This is because, if we partake in a way that is unworthy of the Lord, we sin against His body and blood and make a mockery of His death on the Cross. In this examination we should not only examine our actions but also our words, thoughts and attitudes; even the things we did not do. We can ask ourselves the following questions. Can we truly call ourselves a Christian? Do we reflect the Fruit of the Spirit in our daily life with our family, in our business, among fellow believers or with the world? Can we truly say there is spiritual growth in our lives? All these questions and more are needed so that we can get a good idea of our standing in the sight of God. Now, that we have exposed all the things that are offensive to God, we can by confession and repentance come humbly before our Lord and ask for His forgiveness. This confession and repentance are absolutely necessary for spiritual growth in our lives. Holding grudges and allowing resentments to build up can affect both our spiritual and our physical health and character. Being spirit, soul, and body (1 Th 5:23); what affects one part of us affects all. So there is a vital link between the spiritual and the physical. More often than we are willing to admit, illnesses are caused by sin - such sins as gluttony, worry, anger, an unforgiving spirit, jealousy, selfishness, and pride. We should therefore confess and forsake sin as soon as we are aware it has come into our lives. The Lord’s Supper is a golden opportunity for this reflection. 

I have known of congregations where "Christians" will sit and examine other Christians as they partake, speaking out loud, their sins.  Self means self!  It does not mean your husband or wife or children or parents, but it does mean to look into your own soul and see if there might be something not quite right.  You know what is on your soul, so confess and repent.

The confessing and repenting are to be the result of a self-examination.

If a person truly confesses and then does repentance of that sin, spiritual health will grow stronger and it will change your character to that which God wants of you.  We do not just confess once and we are done, but every time we partake of the Lord's Supper we need to examine ourself.

The self examination that would be appropriate at the Lord's table is for us to examine our conscious for the sin's we have committed, to repent and remember what the purpose of the breaking of bread and drinking from the cup means to us.

By confession and repentance we have remembered our sin's we have committed against our brother's and the Lord. If need be to find our offended brother or sister and ask for forgiveness. Also to ask the Lord for our forgiveness for sin's against Him.

Confession and repentance are important to our spiritual health, it's clears our conscious and allows us to do the work the Lord has for us to do. It creates a good character for representing the Lord and shows our fellow man of His mercy and loving kindness.      

Q4. (1 Corinthians 11:28) What kind of self-examination at the Lord’s Table is appropriate?

Humbly confessing our sins to God and receiving the forgiveness of sins

Confession and repentance is the results of self-examination.

Set us free

Q4. (1 Corinthians 11:28) What kind of self-examination at the Lord's Table is appropriate?

I believe "Self Examination" should be done on a "Daily Basis", we are called to represent our Lord, our calling is to be a holy people - therefore, let us examine ourselves  "Daily" to see, are we a people of "FAITH" - faith like that of Abraham, as seen when Abraham placed upon the altar "Trusting Faith" and he brought his son.

We are called to be a people who live by the power of God, we are made strong in Him, and therefore, (2Cointhians 13:5) examine yourselves as to whether you are in the "FAITH". Test yourselves. Do you not know "that Jesus the Messiah is in you?

Let us be a people of "FAITH", let us not forget, it was the same night in which the Messiah was betrayed that "THEY" took bread and did partake "TOGETHER", let us not be like the one who "betrayed" the Lord and did partake in an unworthy manner, let us be a people who desire  to dine with the Lord, a time of great "CELEBRATION" - because we are a people tested and proved true, we are a people reminded of His love, it is because "Love" resides within our being, that we "Joyfully" lift our cup up and do partake.

How do confession and repentance fit with self-examination, how do confession and repentance serve to bring spiritual health and character change? They are all part of our being tested and proved true.

The kind of self-examination that is appropriate at the Lord’s Table is one that we can see the sins that we have committed. We are to confess and repent of our sins so that we can grow with the Lord. By confessing and repentance we can bring spiritual health and character change because we now have a clear conscience.

What kind of self examination at the Lord's Table is appropriate?

To question ourselves honestly to reveal any sin that has not been confessed, to ask forgiveness and repent.

How do confession and repentance fit with self examination?

It makes us aware of our sins and the necessity of repentance.

By confessing and with the act of repentance we are made right with God, out relationship is restored. We are now free to grow .

Q4. (1 Corinthians 11:28) What kind of self-examination at the Lord's Table is appropriate? How do confession and repentance fit with self-examination? How do confession and repentance serve to bring spiritual health and character change?

The self examination appropriate at the Lord's Supper is to check to see whether we partake in respectful manner to the Lord and the elements of the Communion. Further more, before partaking in the Holy Communion, we should  examine ourselves and confess all unconfess sin in us.

Partaking in Holy Communion in sin brings sickness and thus confessing our sins before the communion will keep us in good health.

• 2 weeks later...

1 Corinthians 11:28:  Self-examination is appropriate before and during communion.  Examination of the motives and state of the heart is a must to honor Christ and fuel spiritual development.  This examination should include our relationship with God The Father and others.  The confession of sin against God and others.  Communion should be taken with a pure heart and motives.  This comes with reflection or evaluation of self, confession of sin against God and others, and preparation to honor Jesus Christ in participating in communion.

A Christian doesn't grow spiritually without reflection/evaluation, confession, and a commitment to an intentional movement in our character toward Christ-likeness.

• 1 month later...

An honest and critical self-examination is required of each us believers prior to partaking of the LORD’s Supper to be sure that there is no unforgiven sin, that there is no uncompleted reconciliation hanging over our heads, that we have confessed and repented of these issues so that God can be free to bless us, forgive us and cleanse us through the elements.

By our confession and repentance, God forgives, cleanses, and further equips us so we can go forward to serve and worship Him more seriously.

• 1 month later...

What kind of self-examination at the Lord’s Table is appropriate? How do confession and repentance fit with self-examination? How do confession and repentance serve to bring spiritual health and character change?   

• We need to examine our own sins, hearts and motives.
  • We become aware of our sins and the need to repent. 
  • It helps our Christian growth.  When we self examine ourselves, it allows us to reflect on Jesus.  Gives us an opportunity to get back on the right track.

• 11 months later...

Every time I am going to partake in the Lord's Supper, I really look into my heart and soul. I try to remember and fix all that I have done wrong. I confess to God all that I have done in the way of sin. And I promise that I will try to be better. I never say that I will not sin again because we are very sinful in nature. But, I will promise to try harder. By doing this I am opening my heart and soul to receive God's graces in my life. I am once again taking control of my life and I am making a commitment to do better.

• 6 years later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 11:28)

It is important to look into my life and ask God to reveal if there is anything in my life that is displeasing to Him. Be it thoughts or deeds/actions. It is no good to then just become aware of them. They need to be removed. To get them removed you confess them and repent of them. (When you sweep the floor, it doesn't help to sweep it and just leave the accumulated heap one side. You have to pick it up and dispose of it. ) The confession means it is brought to the light and the repentance means a changing and not repeating of the same thing. A turn around as it were. It brings a lightness to the soul because you have unburdened yourself. now you no longer do that wrong action , so your character changes, with God's help.

• 1 year later...

Let me share the Anglican liturgy, what we pray before we take confession:
Most merciful God,
     we confess that we have sinned against you
     in thought, word and deed,
     by what we have done, and by what we have left undone.
We have not loved you with our whole heart;
     we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves.
We are truly sorry and we humbly repent.
For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ,
     have mercy on us and forgive us;
     that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways,
     to the glory of your Name. Amen.

This is beautiful as well as meaningful prose. One of the things that bothers me about the Anglican service is that there isn't enough time -- a lengthy pause -- to recall particular sins and repent of them. Liturgy becomes meaningless if it isn't taken to our hearts. 

It's impossible to self-examine honestly without seeing sin in ourselves which requires repentance, then confession. For a long time, I didn't take communion because I could think of sins I had committed and I didn't feel worthy ... I didn't trust Jesus' blood to cover these sins. Now, I approach the table as a sinner, but one forgiven. God forgives even our persistent sins (such as continued bitterness toward others who have wronged us in the past).

I remember reading about Luther, who, before His "conversion" was obsessed with confessing every little sin that was brought to his mind. He spent hours confessing sins, trying not to leave one out. The doctrine of grace was the answer to his problem -- God's unmerited favour toward Luther included forgiving sins he could not recall! Grace covers sin like a blanket over a child.