JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

Jesus is an entirely legitimate example of using spiritual gifts, although I have to admit I never thought of it this way before.  In setting aside His deity with all its rights and privileges and capabilities in order to come to earth in human flesh (Philippians 2:6-8), I’ve always believed that Jesus lived a fully human life (Hebrews 2:17) but was utterly dependent on His relationship with the Father and on the anointed fullness of the Spirit (John 1:32; 3:34-35).  He’s our example of what a life looks like that’s totally submitted to the Father’s will and fully given to the Spirit’s leading.  I just never considered it in terms of spiritual gifts, but it makes perfect sense!

While all believers are also anointed by/with the Spirit of God, I think perhaps Jesus had a specific anointing of the Spirit that enabled Him to remain unwavering in His faith in the Father, entirely focused on God’s kingdom, completely true to God’s Word, and absolutely capable of living a holy sinless life (Acts 10:38) – not an anointing like a magic wand that required no personal responsibility, but as an empowerment of grace released to Him as He constantly chose faith and submission.  With this perspective, I see how our Redeemer was also uniquely anointed with ALL the spiritual giftings we see in Scripture.  That makes Him an undisputed example for every believer with all our varieties and combinations of gifts!  We each can find lessons from His life that are patterns for the various ministries we’re called to.  Since Jesus is our model for living as we are being made like Him (2Cor.3:18), it stands to reason that we can and should look to His example of how to employ our spiritual gifts in service to Him and the Church, His Body.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? AN EXAMPLE, BY ITS VERY NATURE IS DESIGNED TO INSPIRE ACTION BY THE OBSERVER.  THE PERCEPTION OF THE OBSERVER WILL DETERMINE THE INTENSITY OF THE RESPONSE.

Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?  JESUS SAID WE WOULD DO GREATER THINGS THAN HE DID.  TO USE HIS PATTERN IS TO LIMIT HIS WORDS AND OUR EXPECTATION.

The use of Jesus as an example for spiritual can be seen as right and also wrong!

We can use Jesus as an example because He was fully human. Being fully human he had only the gifts that any Christian who believes in Him in faith and trust might have. However the Holy Spirit  was fully endowed upon Jesus so we cannot expect to  be so fully and adequately filled with the Spirit of God as God's own son was. On the other hand the Holy Spirit has been in the world, active and busy for over 20000 years so the cumulative effect of all this spiritual power is  must be greater than it ever was since the time of Christ. This power of the spirit is available to us and if we draw upon it we should be able to perform the acts and deeds that the apostles and the disciples were able to do.

If i want to be a disciple of Christ i have to follow Him and do what He did. It is thus obvious that i must follow Him in all areas.

The other thing i must realize is that Jesus didn't do any of His wonders because of His power as the Son of God. No. He came to be fully man, just as you and me.

He did His wonders through the Power of the Holy Spirit.

And He gave each of us the same Spirit. We all have access to the same Power and abilities Jesus had. We have God Almighty within us.

That is why Jesus said we can do even greater things than He did, because we have much more time to work.

I must also realize that the keys to use this power is faith and obedience. If i don't believe nothing will happen. If i truly want to use it i must seek God's will and use it according to His will and not to my desires or my glory.

It is spiritual, use His Power to His will to Glorify the King if Kings

The purpose of Jesus living in the flesh was to be an example, to model how we might live in this present world. To not consider Jesus as an exemplar of the faith walk is to limit ourselves to those other flawed, though redeemed, examples.

Now unto him who is able to keep us from falling... tells us that we can walk in a newness of life serving a holy God in righteousness.

Q2. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts?

Absolutely!

Or was he so different than we are that we can’t pattern our ministry after his example?

Jesus is not only our example...His Holy spirit lives IN us...The Holy spirit is the power behind and initiator of the gifts manifested through us, just as He was in Jesus. Jesus limited Himself here on earth to total dependence upon God, just as we are to live...and we are able to do what He did if we live in total dependence upon the Holy Spirit in all things. He is the vine and we are the branches....His love, life, power flow from Him through us to others, producing fruit for the kingdom of God.

Q). Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?

#

A). I believe that it is legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts. My spiritual gifts aren't usually manifested as miracles or signs and wonders. He has endowed me with a set of core gifts that I must continually develop by daily discipline and obedience to His will. There are times when I experience a unique anointing under some circumstances. I call those occurrences miracles. When those signs and wonders do occur it is always a result of His grace and mercy. There's nothing I can do to MAKE God perform a miracle for me or anyone else. Jesus was and is a miracle worker. He is the Son of God in the trinity. His example of using the spiritual gifts was to show us what perfection looks like in this world (...Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.). He gives me a high spiritual standard to work toward and the gifts I need to do His will. I must pattern my service after Jesus' example in order to use my spiritual gifts the way He intended.

Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of Spiritual gifts?

Yes, Jesus lifestyle and work was an example of how we, today, should do the work of God and make our lifestyle conform to that of Jesus.

Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?

I believe that Jesus was given a body like ours to be able to live like us and suffer like us.  Thus, His life is our example to live by.  At least to strive toward that goal.

Q2. 

Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? 

Or was He so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after His example?

I think Jesus expects us to follow His example. We are to use our spiritual gifts in imitating our Lord and by following His example as well as obeying His commands. To achieve this we must deny our own selfish desires and use our time and money in ways that will glorify our Heavenly Father. For example, we can use our gift of hospitality by imitating Christ in our relationships. Here we can love each other as Jesus loved us; remembering how He loved us enough to give His life for us. We too can practice this sacrificial love in many ways by listening, helping, encouraging, and giving to others. Following Christ might be costly now, but in the long run, it will be well worth the pain and effort. By living out His example we will be like a light in the fallen world. God wants us to become more and more like His Son, and we do this by growing in our knowledge of Christ and of course by modelling our ministry after His example. The deeper our knowledge of Christ, the deeper our understanding of Him, and the more like Him we become. 

It is absolutely legitimate to use Jesus as an example in the use of our spiritual gifts! Jesus is our example in everything! When we profess to be His disciples, we seek to follow what He did, said and taught us. When Jesus left this world, He sent us a helper so we would be reminded of all He said and did and it is by the power of this helper, the Holy Spirit that we become Christ like. If we are to be reminded of all He did, then His example was very important for us. So YES, we can and should be growing in Him, using our spiritual gifts to glorify Him just as He glorified His Father! That in itself is an example to follow.

Jesus was fully God and fully man so He was like us in every way except He never sinned but He WAS tempted just as we are, so His life is the perfect example for us in many areas.

Absolutely, Matt 16 v 24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. We must follow in His step.

Or was he so different than we are that we can’t pattern our ministry after his example?

Christianity is about Christ. there is no way the ministry can't be pattern after his example we will be doomed

Q2. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?

The Messiah is our example, he has revealed to us what a "Spirit Filled" person can do when they give themselves over to the Spirit's leading,  "REMEMBERING" it is because we are united with the Messiah, that we become a "New Creation" - This is why we are to be careful as not to cause divisions in the body by encouraging unseemly arguments, therefore, let the body of believers be balanced, understanding the importance that the body show forth both the "Gift's of the Spirit" (Charismata) and the "Fruit's of the Spirit", so that we can better serve God and each other. 

For if any man have not the Spirit of Christ working in him, he does not belong to him.

Q2. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can’t pattern our ministry after his example?

It is legitimate to use Jesus as an example of the use of spiritual gifts because He said greater things would we do because he was ascending to the Father and would Send the Holy Spirit to be with those who where His believers.

Jesus was different from us in that He was the Son of God, but he showed us how to be compassionate and loving in kindness. He is the head of His church and our example we are to follow.   

Q2. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?

Yes it is legitimate to use Jesus in the use of spiritual gifts because He is our example to follow. Further, the gifts are from Him.

Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was He so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?

Yes we are encouraged in scripture to become like Christ, although in our fallen state we will not attain His level of power with spiritual gifts.

As believers we have the Holy Spirit within us to enable us to give growth to the gifts that have been granted to us.

Q2. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can’t pattern our ministry after his example?

Of course we can use Jesus as our role model when it comes to using spiritual gifts. In our case we do this in the name of Jesus whereas He just went ahead and did it! We're so accustomed to not performing miracles though that when someone does, we think it's of the devil!

We see a gifted Christian healer touching people and making them well and accuse him/her of being a phony while in the Bible Jesus tells his disciples that they WILL do things like this.

This brings up the question of how many things Jesus said that were meant specifically for His disciples and how much is meant for us. We try to heal a loved one in Jesus' name and they don't get better so we look for unconfessed sin in our and their lives and/or put it down to it being God's will or something. The jury will always be out on that one. The thing we must remember was that Jesus healed people regardless of their personal spiritual state. He didn't wait for them to confess their sins and to be right with God before He healed them. Personally I think the instructions James gave in his letter are what applies to us. Some gifts are more readily accessible than others. Faith Hope and Love being the most accessible. Words of wisdom from God and prophecy are a real grey area these days. With whole religions springing up after a so called "word of prophecy" from God . . . and I think we all know who I'm referring to here . . . we're naturally cautious about taking as true everything a "prophet" may tell us from God.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus modeled the way for his followers to live and minister to those around them.  The Holy Spirit is the force and means for the Christian to do as Jesus Christ did.  Jesus said in John 14 that his disciples would be able to greater things than he did.  Jesus modeled what it means to be a complete human-being which includes the ability to minister to those around us in extraordinary ways. 

The same Spirit who descended upon Jesus at his baptism and raised him from the dead is the same Spirit that enters a Christian upon repenting from sin and asking Jesus Christ to enter their lives as personal savior and redeemer.

The Holy spirit enables Christians to do extraordinary things.  The lack of faith and belief limits the Christian.  Jesus is our example.

• 1 month later...

Q2. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can’t pattern our ministry after his example? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1365-q2-christ-our-exemplar/

It is absolutely legitimate to use Jesus as our example first because He is our role model in everything include the demonstration of the spiritual gifts with which we have all been grace and gifted. Because Jesus gave us His Spirit at the moment of conversion, we have been endowed with the spiritual gifts that can be used for the benefit of people with whom we come in contact.

Through the power, knowledge and wisdom of the Holy Spirit, we indeed can imitate the LORD in all we do and use all our spiritual gifts because this is the will of God. He loved us enough to die for all of us and all our sins that we, in gratitude, can reach out the fallen and corrupt and troubled world around us.  The more involved/closer we are the Jesus, the better equipped we are to live inside His will for this purpose.

• 1 month later...

Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can’t pattern our ministry after his example?      

• Yes, it is legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts.  Jesus is the perfect example to model after. 

• 11 months later...

Jesus is the perfect person that we should try to model. He understood the gifts in full and he knew how to use them to the best of the gift's potential. Even though he was so perfect, Jesus knows that we are not perfect at all. He was the ultimate teacher. And I am sure that he keeps teaching us through the bible each day.

• 6 years later...

Or was He so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after His example?

Yes, we can use Jesus as our example. What would be the use of recording His life among us if we can't?  He made the right choices. We too can make the right choices if we pattern our lives according to His.

• 1 year later...