JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Regular Giving

• 4 months later...

Paul gave us important insights about grace-giving in this verse.  1Cor.16:2 is almost always used in the context of exhorting Christians to tithe, but this isn’t talking about law-keeping at all.  Paul was teaching about Spirit-led free-will giving.  He laid out a wise plan for those who are following the Spirit’s leading. 

First, we aren’t to be random or careless in our desire to give.  Many times we respond emotionally to a need or to the Spirit’s prompting, and then within days we’ve talked ourselves out of it.  Paul says make a decision to do this and then consistently set aside something each week (in your own keeping, not at the church) so that when the time comes to collect the contribution you are already prepared.  It’s somewhat like deciding to make a payment each week into a fund to be used by the Spirit. 

Second, Paul says that we’re not in a competition or under any obligation to give what anyone else is contributing.  We’re only called to give in proportion to how the Lord has prospered us in any given week.  No percentage is assigned here, only that we are to evaluate our blessing and then give accordingly to help those less fortunate (the Holy Spirit isn’t limited by percentages!). 

Third, waiting until the last minute will likely mean you’ll be under-prepared when needs arise, you’ll have less to give, and you’ll receive less blessing in your giving.  And I think that it probably reveals an insecure or stingy or undisciplined attitude about giving to others.  And Paul indicated it also puts the recipient in a more awkward position of having to ask for the gift, rather than being able to freely receive thoughtful assistance that has been given deep consideration with deliberate preparation.  This gives me a mental image of celebrating a family member's birthday with whatever you can scrounge up around the house at the last minute rather than with a gift you carefully thought about and secured ahead of time.

Regular giving is essential for keeping each member of the church healthy.  It should be the first thing on everyone's budget.  I once heard that giving isn't essential every week, but when you get paid.  If you get paid weekly, then it should be weekly.  I personally, was paid monthly and I gave monthly.

Proportional giving is good to some extent.  The 10% tithe idea is a good place to start.

Planned giving is best.  If you wait until the last minute--you might have already spent it.  If you need to wait for an emotional appeal, it does not reflect a very strong Christian--giving with joy!

Q1. (1 Corinthians 16:2) 

What does this teach us about regular giving? 

About proportional giving? 

About planned giving, rather than last minute giving?

Paul suggests regular weekly planned giving. It should not be done spasmodically, just when we feel generous or when we give a token gift at the last minute. Rather, giving should be part of our worship – giving out of gratitude to the Lord. When we think about it, we are just stewards over what the Lord has provided – it is all His anyway. I don’t think any amount or percentage is required, but rather that we are to give from the heart. 

1 Corinthians 16:2
A weekly offering should be given: "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store..." (16:2)
#
Paul instructed them to give in accordance to their ability: "...as God hath prospered him" (16:2)
#
Paul's point is that they make preparations ahead of time,  "...that there be no gatherings when I come." (16:2)

Q1. (1 Corinthians 16:2) What does this teach us about regular giving? About proportional giving?

Giving is good. It is good for the giver and it is good for the receiver. The Lord teaches us in both the old and new testament to give. To look after the poor, the needy, the sick. In Leviticus 19. 9-10 we read:

“‘When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. 10 Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the foreigner. I am the Lord your God."

This leaving of the gleanings was a form of giving. Today our entrepreneurs are taught to leave nothing ' All is mine' is the cry. Dr. Ralph writes " Particularly significant for disciples who are seeking to give to the Lord appropriately is the instruction, "in keeping with his income" (NIV) or "as God hath prospered him" (KJV). Acts teaches us the same "The disciples, each according to his ability decided to provide help for the brothers living in Judea." (Acts 11:29) We see here in this chapter Paul urging the Corinthians to give for it is :

1. An acknowledgement by the Gentile churches of the spiritual debt they owed to the mother church in Jerusalem (Romans 15:27),

2. A practical token to the Jerusalem church of the genuineness of the Gentiles' faith, and

3. A means of binding Jewish and Gentile Christians more closely together                         

There are two other points in these verses. One we should give regularly, say, every Sunday morning and secondly we give according to our income.

Q1. (1 Corinthians 16:2) What does this teach us about regular giving?

It should be anticipated, thoughtful and planned for regularly, not hit and miss when the mood hits.

It is to be in proportion to what is earned or given.

The tithe and offerings are not meant to be an emotional issue, but are rather given as worship, and with a plan so that those receiving it may also plan for budgets, etc.

Regular giving should be practiced. It should not encompass only giving when we feel like it or when we have extra. A portion for giving should be taken first thing and set aside.

Proportional giving should be giving as according to your ability. Our regular giving will be measured by income but sometimes, if we are blessed with more money than usual, we should give more.

Planned giving is setting aside money for giving as a need arises. I don't know many Christians that do this and admit I've not thought to do so. I love this concept though! How much more often we could bless others this way! :)

Q1. (1 Corinthians 16:2) What does this teach us about regular giving? About proportional giving? About planned giving, rather than last minute giving?

1 Corinthians 16:2 teaches regular giving back a portion to the Lord and the Church should be a normal incentive for the wages we receive for our labors. After all everything we receive comes from the God Himself, unless of course we are imprudent, go against the Lords will and reap those benefits.

As gentiles we are not commanded to give a percentage of our income. 11 Corinthians 9:6-7 teaches that he who sows sparingly will reap sparingly, he who sows generously will reap generously. Let each one give as he has made up in his own mind and purposed in his heart, not reluctantly or sorrowfully or under compulsion, for the Lord loves a cheerful giver.

Though the Lord provides all our needs we still have to live and pay bills, it is a good idea to set aside a predetermined amount to the church. This way our giving will be steady and faithful. To wait to the last minute in giving is cheating ourselves, we throw in what is in our pocket and this helps no one, the Church or ones that are needy in the congregation.  

It teaches us that regular giving is the best way of giving. It means that we don’t have make a big sacrifice all at once to help others by giving on a regular bases. If we make it a planned event then it is easier to give and we don’t have to rush around the last minute to donate to God’s church.

What does this teach about regular giving?

Should be set aside to be available for any necessary requirement.

Our income should be an indicator of our ability to donate.

About  planned giving, rather than last minute giving?

I had not given this idea much thought, it is not until the problem is announced that monies are called for.

Yes it would be better to put money aside for such occasions.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 16:2) What does this teach us about regular giving? About proportional giving? About planned giving, rather than last minute giving?

That we should give regularly, plan our giving, and give in proportion to our income

• 5 weeks later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 16:2) What does this teach us about regular giving? About proportional giving? About planned giving, rather than last minute giving? http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/1382-q1-regular-giving/

1 Corinthians 16.2: a few comparative languages:

--“On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made."  - NIV

--"...whatever you can afford from what you earn..." -CEB

--"...store it up, as he may prosper..." – ESV

-- "...put aside a portion of the money you have earned..." – NLT

-- "...you should put aside some of your money..." – NLV

In each of these translations, the idea is that out of the money you have available, one should set aside a portion/sum/amount/whatever can be afforded so that it is handy when the church is ready to collect the offering. This idea is that when there is a need the planned and apportioned money that was set aside and planned for the purpose of giving is readily available.

According to our notes, this can be referred to as "proportional giving,". As indicated, this is not a new concept by comes all the way from the Biblical times as documented in the matchless Word of God.

“…Paul's point is that they make preparations ahead of time, "so that when …it is time there is no need for collections because the money is ready as it was put aside for this purpose.  Paul’s stance was/is to “plan their giving, not to give on the basis of last minute urgency or emotional appeals.”

• 7 years later...

Q1. (1 Corinthians 16:2)

Firstly the collection for the relief of the saints was something the congregation knew about. They had pondered about it. It was not suddenly thrown into their laps.

The suggestion is made that everyone gives in proportion as he is able. Do it on a regular basis and keep it one side. Plan what you will give and then live the balance of the week with what you have decided for you and your household. This can also be seen to live honorably and not cheat and take from what you have decided to give. So I understand it to be a prayerful exercise and not an emotional last minute decision to impress and try outgive your rival (there should not be one) It should all be done as unto the Lord.

• 1 year later...

In my secular family -- almost all atheists -- giving was a way of life, strangely. We were taught from an early age to be generous, to "give back." Many of Paul's teachings, here, were taught to me without the Christian foundation. My father regularly gave a large percentage of his income to charities and individuals he thought were worthy and taught me to do the same. 

Now, as a Christian, I look at giving differently. I see giving in a broader context, in all it's facets -- time, money, expertise, knowledge, care, etc. -- and do not reduce it to money. I believe we are all called to give generously, even self-sacrificially, in all the ways we can. Some of us have wealth ... others time and talent. We give as we can and always give when asked. 

Paul is clearly focusing on the giving of money, however. These verses are a tutorial to the poorer people on how to give, because in the past, they had never given. Giving had been viewed as something wealthy people do. The Corinthian church was not a wealthy church, on average, and therefore was unfamiliar with the discipline of generosity. And since the Corinthians were gentiles, not Jews, they weren't even familiar with the concept of tithing.

Paul, then, needed to teach the rudiments of generosity. He told them to put aside money for those who may need it, to physically set it aside. He explained that they weren't required to give large amounts of money as did the wealthy, but only what they felt God was leading them to give. And he told them to never forget to put money aside for future and unexpected needs -- a rainy day fund for others! -- so it would be available when the church asked for it.

This is practical advice.