JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 months later...

When we make plans without giving consideration to the fact that it is ultimately the Lord who is in control, we are being self-centered, prideful, and over-confident.  We are relying on our own logic, reasoning, knowledge, desires, and plans.  There is nothing wrong with making plans; Scripture actually teaches us to think ahead and consider the cost in any endeavor.  But we are to do that with a conscious awareness/acceptance that the Lord just might redirect us or change those plans, and we must include submission and flexibility!

He wanted to be in the Lord's will at every move.  It IS arrogance to think we're in charge! We can make plans, but it's up to the Lord whether or not he'll allow it.  As Pickledilly so aptly reminds us, we need to be open to His direction byour flexibility and submission.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 16:4-7) What does Paul's wording, "if the Lord permits" teach us about making plans? Why is planning without this mindset actually arrogant?

I sometimes think God must smile when we make plans for the days to come. Does God smile and say oh no your day will be different. Paul seems to be ready to make his plans in contingent with those plans which God has  for him. We should all plan 'if the Lord is willing' otherwise we may appear arrogant in front of the Lord. we should plan 'if the Lord permits.' 

Q2. (1 Corinthians 16:4-7) 

What does Paul's wording, "if the Lord permits" teach us about making plans? 

Why is planning without this mind-set actually arrogant?

As believers we know that we must trust the Lord and we are not to trust or rely only on our own understanding. Since we are children of God, we also know that He will only have what is best for us in mind, and He will only permit certain things to happen to us. Unless of course we decide to go it alone. We cannot have it both ways. Our Heavenly Father knows all, unlike us who only see part of the picture, so it makes sense to fully trust Him and let go of our pride, and our plans. For even our best-laid plan cannot begin to approach the magnificent wisdom of God's plan. "For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom" (1 Corinthians 1:25). Very often we will not understand or approve of God’s ways, then it is helpful to remember Isaiah 55:8-9, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts”. We know from Romans 8:28 that God is causing all things to work for the good of those who love Him. Therefore, for our own good, it will be best if we make decisions according to the unchanging Word of God. 

Is the matter arrogance or is it ignorance? I grew up in an era where most adults either began or ended a sentence with the tag, Lord. willing.

I think this reflects that more people have been brought up under the "before in a bottle" concept of faith in God where his will is collateral and is to be shaped by human wants and whims.

The admonition given by Paul points to the Christian culture that centralizes a life around the faith in the resurrected saviour and belief in a soon second coming.

As one person stated, some people make their own plan and then ask God to bless it. Wise people ask God's blessing and then trust that God will present, to them, a blessed plan.

I ascribe that the scripture, in all thy ways acknowledge him, literally means all thy ways and that it contains a promise that God will order one's steps if allowed. That is, what being a follower of Christ means to me and that is the difference between having a mindset that success is found add God's will is followed.

(1 Corinthians 16:4-7)
Q). What does Paul's wording, "if the Lord permits" teach us about making plans?
A). Paul prefaces his future plans with reference to God's will. Elsewhere in the New Testament, we see among God's servants a reverence rather than presumption about making future plans.
#
Q). Why is planning without this mindset actually arrogant?
A). The arrogance is in the presumptuous sin of expecting God to always grant us good fortune because we are so special.
"Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins..." (Psalm 19:13)

Q2. (1 Corinthians 16:4-7) What does Paul’s wording, “if the Lord permits” teach us about making plans?

We're exhorted in Phil 4:6....by prayer and petition (definite requests) with thanksgiving, to pray about everything. He alone knows the future, so it is wisdom to seek His guidance and will before and while making plans.

Why is planning without this mindset actually arrogant?

Whenever we go off on our own, as though we are sovereign we are moving in pride and arrogance....or foolishness. (Like the 2 year old who demands to do "it myself"...when they are clearly incapable, uninformed, inadequate, and headstrong.

I love that He has gone before and knows the path that we take...each of our paths designed uniquely for the individual. That's why seeking others advice without consulting the Lord is foolish, because their wisdom or path probably won't apply to where we are going with Him, and we certainly don't know what's up ahead.

The Lord illustrated this for me in a wonderful way that I've never forgotten: Several years ago while on retreat with several other women, we could see clearly how to navigate the steep, winding path to the meeting hall while the sun was shining. When the evening session ended it was pitch dark and we were disoriented and lost! One woman had thought to bring a flashlight, which she shined on the path up ahead...we stumbled along until someone suggested she shine it directly in front of our feet! Then we were able to make our way, one step at a time! As we went slowly along, the verse came to me: "His word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path." He quickens that memory to me when I'm going to make plans....

Paul is offering reverence and is showing he is submitted to the Lord's plan and guidance. Today, we can forget this reverence, but not everyone who makes plans without saying "if the Lord wills" is being arrogant in my own opinion. It is a good thing to do and learn per say, but more importantly God looks on our hearts. We may not say those words every time, but when we make plans and God directs us to another way or blocks those plans, we should be submitted to His will in that. Paul made plans to go many places, but when the Lord blocked his way, he did not continue on in his endeavor. To me, that's what is more important here. 

In Acts 16:6 Paul and his companions traveled through the region of Phrygia and Galatia. The Holy Spirit had already kept them from preaching the word in Asia. They "came to" the border of Mysia and they "tried to enter" Bithynia, but the spirit of Jesus would not allow them to.

In these passages Paul is following the direction of the Holy Spirit but he isn't actually "saying" if the Lord wills. If the most important point to be had was on what he "said" I think it would have been included and repeated. He isn't being arrogant, he is traveling, "planning" on spreading the message to specific places, but when the Spirit said "no" he submitted to that.

I don't think the magic of a few words shows being more submitted to God's will or less arrogant than those who do not say those words. It's the matter of our hearts and our wilingness to let go and obey God when He directs that is important. Men can say all kinds of reverent things with no follow through what so ever and vise versa.

Q2. (1 Corinthians 16:4-7) What does Paul’s wording, “if the Lord permits” teach us about making plans? Why is planning without this mindset actually arrogant?

1 Corinthians 16:4-7 Paul teaches us that when we make plans it would be a good idea to pray and as if the Lords will, will permit us to do what we intend to do the following day, the Lord may have other plans for us. As Paul states, "if the Lord permits" , we know not what time the Lord may require our souls to depart the realm of the living. 

Q2. (1 Corinthians 16:4-7) What does Paul's wording, "if the Lord permits" teach us about making plans?

Planning is an important element in living an organized life, for the believer, the important key is that we not forget, our plans stand only as God permits, we who delight to do the will of God, do so because the laws of God on written on the heart, this is why it is important that our plans declare our faithfulness is to God, for blessed is the man who in his planning understands, it is the LORD who directs his steps, "If the Lord permits".

There have been times in my life that God had a different plan for me - "If the Lord permits” for it was in those times that I learned from my mistakes and growth occurred, and for that I was, and am, most thankful!

Arrogant is the man who does not put their trust in the LORD, and instead, glory in their own wisdom, a man who devises his own plans, and will do things his way, an arrogant man is a foolish man whose plans will have a great impact on how he will face and cope with the challenges that come his way, whereas (Psalms 3:23) Blessed is the man whose steps are ordered by the LORD - "If the Lord will".

I think that Paul’s wording “if the Lord permits” teaches us that we can make plans but we have got to be listening to God in order to carry out those plans because He may have a different direction that He wants us to go. Planning without this mindset is actually arrogant because it means that we think we have everything in control. We have got to listen to God.

What does Paul's wording, "if the Lord permits" teach us about making plans?

This study has certainly taught me a lot, I have a lot of growing to do, to be aware of what God requires.

As Paul states in 1 Cor. 15:4-8 " If it seems advisable" & "if the Lord permits"

1 Cor. 4:9 " if the Lord is willing"

Romans 1:10 "by God's will"

Hebrews 6:3 " God permitting" he (Paul) shows his willingness to be obedient to God's will in all things including travel.

It is an indication that we still want to be in control.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 16:4-7) What does Paul's wording, "if the Lord permits" teach us about making plans? Why is planning without this mindset actually arrogant?

We do not know what tomorrow will be. Only God knows thus we should make our plans based on the will of God. If we fail to plan based on the fact that only God can actualise our plans then  we are arrogant

• 5 weeks later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 16:4-7) What does Paul’s wording, “if the Lord permits” teach us about making plans? Why is planning without this mindset actually arrogant?

In our lives it is our intent to control our lives and plan our destiny in that effort of control. Most of the time, these issues in which we are involved, after studying the options available, make some decisions about how to deal with/handle them.  In almost 100 % of the cases, these decisions are made on our own, and we do not understand and get confused when the situation does not get handled or gets all messed up and the matter becomes even worse.  Some of us never make any changes and continue in this manner and our lives become frustrated and anger/disappointment sets in.

The Word of God as stated by Paul tells us that we should include the LORD in our decisions to determine “if the LORD permits” or what really “is” God’s will in this matter or that project or the other decision.  In other words, all decisions to be made should have a plan that is “inside the will of God” and therefore will have His blessings. This will not be seen as arrogant and planned without consultation with the LORD.

• 7 years later...

Q2. (1 Corinthians 16:4-7) What does Paul's wording, "if the Lord permits" teach us about making plans?

It teaches us the importance of centralizing our life on God's will. Yes, it is important to plan things, but to realize at the same time that the broader picture is seen by God and He might just include or remove some things from those plans, for a more appropriate or riper time ahead.  

Planning without this makes it look like we know exactly what is going on all over the place and this is definitely arrogant as we are not all knowing (we are not God), we do not know if we will still be there at the time or have died. 

• 1 year later...

We make tentative plans because we don't know God's will, even in our immediate future. He unfolds His will to us as it happens.

But we live in this world, one that requires some planning and fore-thinking. We can't exist in our society without making plans. The way to make plans, then, is to make them lightly, be willing to turn on a dime, and admit to ourselves that we really don't know what we're doing, that only God Himself knows what He will do in our futures.