JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Testifying to the Light

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John the Baptist had one primary purpose: not to be light, but to bear witness of the Light.  His specific ministry was to call the Jewish people to repentance in preparation for the revealing of Messiah, the Light of the world who is the Glory of God, who was already in their midst. 

As believers, we are now actual vessels of the Light.  Not only are we to proclaim and testify about the Light, we are to bear witness to Him by living out the life of Christ generated by the Light placed within us.  We’re called to be like a beacon on a hill or a candle in a candle stand, not hidden but out in full view casting the Light of Christ in all directions, in all situations, at all times.  That is not always, even usually, welcomed or embraced.  John the Baptist suffered imprisonment and death, and we will be certain to face challenges and attack from the darkness as well.

Oh, for the courage and faithfulness of John the Baptist!  Oh, for the lack of concern for self and the ultimate concern for the way, truth, and life of the Light!  Make us willing, Lord, to put it all on the line for You!  Please give us the stanch conviction and unflinching resolution to represent Christ boldly, no matter the cost.

To testify to the Light, is to be a living reflection of the Light God gave us when he left and sent us the Holy Spirit.  We are to spread the Word and reflect that Word in our words and actions.  In my own life I work on this daily at work and home and at church.  I reach out to those who need the Word as much as I can. 

John died.  If we testify to the Word, we have to be prepared to die or be ridiculed for our beliefs.

The people who we testify to may come to believe in God and through Jesus be saved.

John was sent to be a witness to the light which is Jesus Christ.

As a believer in Jesus as Lord and Savior I too am called to testify there is one way and one way only to God and that is through the shed blood of Jesus on the cross.

The Bible says we will suffer persecution (we do not know what form that persecution will take). We are not to flinch and we are to count it all joy.  We cannot do it in our own strength we need the Holy Spirit in us to give us the strength and courage.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q2: What did it mean that John was sent to testify to the light? John the Baptist came as a herald, to point people towards the ‘light’. Hence, when he saw Jesus, he said to his own followers, ‘Behold the Lamb of God.’ People tried to stir up competition between John and Jesus but John was pleased when people left him to follow Jesus.

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of testifying to the light? As Christians we are all expected to testify for the light and against darkness. Depending on which church we come from this can be through vows made at adult baptism or confirmation. I was told to be a ‘soldier of Christ’. We are expected to use all our talents, heart, soul and mind for this purpose.

How are you doing in this regard? I have improved slowly over the years, although I am clearly a fallible human and there will always be an internal battle of light against darkness. When I was confirmed as a child of 11, I was terrified at the responsibility and it took a great many years of thought, church attendance and gradually becoming more involved in voluntary work for marginalised people of various types. These marched hand in hand with increased discipline in my personal life as I tried to give a more ‘Christ-like’ example to my family.

What happened to John the Baptist? John the Baptist paid with his life. ‘Darkness’ caused his death.

What might happen to you if you testify clearly? I am going to write about my own past experience. England is a bad place for Christians as atheism becomes more and more prevalent. A few years ago I faced (for me) the ultimate horror. Despite my attempts to bring my children up as Christians they decided to believe all the scoffers and lost all faith and respect for me as their mother. They turned their backs on me. As a result I lost my family. I was even unable to see my small grandchildren. The bottom dropped out of my world.

I then had a vision telling me to go to the Third World as a volunteer. As a result of the ‘darkness’ I faced before, I was rewarded with a wonderful new life. It turned out that God wanted me to work on removing barriers of various types and preaching the love of God for all. It is uphill work, but I believe that God meant me to have the terrible difficulties I faced earlier, for the experience and strength it gave me. I am in the position of mother to children who are in far greater need than my own children. I love them dearly and I have never received so much love in return as I have from these orphans. I testify to them all the time. There is a lot of darkness in South Sudan, which needs to be overcome with love of neighbour (other tribes and religions). Life here is far less predictable than in England. My wonderful new life could cause my death. To me this does not matter. I am extremely grateful for my chance to change my life and get this wonderful opportunity to testify to the light.

In case you are feeling sorry for me, don’t. A miracle happened during my first year in Sudan. My children’s hearts were softened and they are no longer out of communication. There has been forgiveness all around. I pray that the miracle will continue so that they have a Damascus experience to bring them back to Christ.

What might happen to the people to whom you testify? The people to whom we testify are given a wonderful chance that will not otherwise occur. They will have the joy of walking in the light rather than the violent, selfish and miserable darkness. Whatever troubles life throws at them they will have spiritual comfort. Yes, it is possible that they will suffer for their faith, but if that faith is strong, they will be rewarded richly. When they die, they will be with God.

Q2. (John 1:7-8) 

What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? 

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? 

How are you doing in this regard? 

What happened to John the Baptist? 

What might happen to you if you testify clearly? 

What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

John’s mission was to announce the coming of Christ and to tell them that Jesus was truly the Light of the world - the Son of God. By witnessing we are to reflect the Light of Jesus and in so doing point them to Jesus, and have them ultimately respond in faith and repentance – placing their faith in our Lord Jesus. In all honesty, I’m ashamed to say that I feel l I could have served the Lord better. Like John, we are to make sure that as stated in John 3:30, ‘He (Jesus) must become greater; I must become less.’ So, if we testify clearly, our lives will become a testimony for our Lord. And, hopefully those to whom we testify will come to accept our Lord Jesus as their Saviour. 

What is promanent for me in the first 3 chapters of the Gospel is that the author goes to some length to emphasise that John the Baptist was not the Messiah  but was "sent by God", he came to testify or bare witness to the light. He was not the light, Jesus was the "true light". John the Baptist also said "he (Jesus) must increase and I must decrease" (John 3:30). Some people, hearing about John the Baptist and seeing what he did, must have thought that he was the Messiah (see John 2:19). So John the Baptist's purpose was to prepare the way and to tell the people about the light, to prepare the way for Jesus' eathly ministry.

So I expect our purpose is to be witnesses also. See Matt 28:16ff.

How good am I at this, often not good. My life has to match that what I say, its called congruence

What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light?

• John was sent by God as witness to testify that Jesus is the true Light.

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light? How are you doing in this regard?

• We are to be witnesses also.  We are to point the unbelievers to Christ.  I am going okay, but could do much better.  I find it easier to witness to those that already know Christ than to those that really need to know Christ.

What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?  

• John the Baptist was a vessel that was used to announce the coming of Christ.  Unfortunately, he suffered persecution and eventually was killed.  Those that tell the Good News will suffer persecution also.  There are still some countries that people are being slaughtered because of their faith.  If we testify about the goodness of Jesus and give our testimonies, people may be want to get to know this man and be saved.  

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light?

John was sent from God to prepare the way for his cousin Jesus whose public ministry on earth was about to begin, as was prophesied in Mal. 3:1 "Behold I send My messenger and he shall prepare the way before Me..."

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light?

I'm here to enjoy God and to share His love and message with others....He is the Light of the world...I'm to reflect His light to those still in darkness.

My mission field has become quite limited at present due to circumstances, but I share whenever I have opportunity. I have the gift of encouragement and see others "light up" when He is lifted up and they are refreshed in their discouragement....I believe that is also being a light.

Regarding testifying to the light:

When I had been a believer for only a few weeks and knew little about the Bible, I had a roll-over car accident with my two little children in the car with me. Just before we hit black ice and skidded across 3 lanes of freeway in heavy commute traffic, then spun in the muddy median and rolled, our car lit up inside brighter than looking at the sun, and I "saw" the accident happen, heard the screech of the metal twisting, and saw blood on the back seat where my children were strapped.  I was supernaturally at peace in that blinding rainstorm and wondered if I should pull to the side of the road and stop to avoid what I had just seen happening. Before I could do so, a mighty invisible hand cleared the steady stream of trucks and cars aside as I slid sideways through the the space He cleared. When we stopped, I was lying on the roof in the backseat area and as I looked up at my children hanging upside down from their car seats, the blood I had seen in the vision was there on the seat from a cut on my daughters arm. I sustained a back injury, but that is a story for another time as it was healed miraculously. ...After the accident I called the Minister of the church we had attended before we moved and asked him what that all meant...that I had seen and heard the accident happen before it happened and what the bright light was that my children had excitedly cried "What is that bright light, Mommy?" as the chrome inside the car glistened while it was dark outside the windows. He didn't really answer my questions, but said "May you always be a Light-bearer". (I also had no idea what that meant at the time)....But since then I have endeavored to be a Light-bearer wherever I am. 

What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

John was beheaded. If the rapture doesn't come first, ISIS may behead me for refusing to renounce my faith. The same might happen to those to whom I testify. I know that Christians are being beheaded in Syria and Iraq and tortured and persecuted in other countries as well. I pray for courage and boldness for each of us to keep on being His Light in the darkening world around us!

Paul Said: "To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ" That is our promise and our future, no matter how we die if we are in Christ.

I see this as witnessing to the light, i.e telling others about what he knew about the light. Ok it can be difficult telling people about what you don't know i.e. the things that you are in the dark about. Yet all of us who have encountered the light have some kind of expereince about it that we can share with others. 

What do we know about the light? Many of us have been in dark places but then found that the light of God has reached us. Because of this experience it means that it is easier for us to share the way this light can shine into dark places or even lead the way out of them. 

There have been times when I have done really badly with this and hindered rather than helped people because I did not understand how to be a light in that situation. It did not help that it was hard to keep my own personal light lit at that time. In one such case I have been led to believe that their darkness is now so deep that they will never escape from it. Zechariah tells us that there are some people who have heard other people so much that even if they scream for help he will no longer hear them. This fits in with proverbs 1 and also where the writer of Hebrews suggest for for some people there is no way back to the Lord after they have succumbed to persecution. So although is not a commonly accepted idea it does pass the test of having 2 witnesses to it. 

He said he must decrease and then lost his head! Ok that is not the sort of decrease he meant. However, his truth-telling did make him some powerful enemies who made sure that he met his end. 

There are some of us who are called to shine a light to reveal truths within the church itself. You only have to look at 16th century Europe to see the consequences of this. I once went to a church where the vicar said if you go a few yards that way along the street you will find the site where we burnt them. If you go a few yards that way along the street you will come to the site were they burnt us. I am not sure about how clearly they were testifying of the light but it does show what people who call themselves Christians can do to each other. So sure their viewpoint was right that they literally set light to members of another church.

What is worse is that the UK has a sort of folk celebration that started as a result of how the political/religious situation developed during that  period. At that "celebration" a representation of one particular man is burnt on a fire. We call November 5th Fireworks night or Bonfire night. Yes trying to blow up parliament was not a good idea to say the least, but his terrorism was fueled by religious disagreements. Strange to think how some people telling the truth as they understood in the 1500s led to that kind of social event in the 21st century. It has also provided an excuse to sell fireworks in the shops for a few weeks a year, fireworks which have damaged property and injured or killed people on occasions. There again as a child my dad used to persaude me to go with him and the rest of the family to the "celebration" put on by the organisation he worked for. It was dark, cold and worse still sometimes damp therefore not always a pleasant experience. 

We still have some disagreements and misunderstandng these days but the consequences are not nearly so dire. Although one of the major reasons why there have been so many church splits and even new denominations created is because some have shone the light on the basis of their understanding and problems have erupted. These kind of consequences have sometimes lasted a long time. 

Why start on this tack? I feel called to testify to some of the things that I have been shown by God to my brothers and sisters. There again I had a somewhat unusual response when they were talking  about making cutbacks because giving had gone down, i..e. what is the church doing to help people earn more. People cannot give what they do not have. When I told some people this it made them see things in a different way. Well how many church leaders have been asked what they are doing to help their church members set up business so that other people have jobs and therefore more money to give to good causes like the church? There were definitely some very surprised people when I shared that approach!

If you shine a light on a situation then surely your hope is that they would see it in a different light. Sadly not everyone who sees things differently does so in a possitive manner. It could have a negative effect. 

John, being the cousin of Jesus, was sent by God to testify before the nation of Israel that the light was coming in which all the "darkness" of man's sin was going to be revealed.  John spoke of Jesus - "behold the Lamb of God".

I've been called of God to be a preacher of the gospel and as a preacher, to testify to the light the gospel shows us of Jesus and our wicked sins.

I am still preaching (48 yrs.) Jesus at 71 years of age, with oxygen, set at 10, 24 hours a day.

John the Baptist was beheaded in prison as a gift to the step-daughter of Herod Antipas.

A preacher is supposed to preach the truth, only.  Sometimes the truth can be ugly and convicting.  When the one who sins feels the guilt, he may do something that is physical or do something that could hurt your reputation in the community.  We still need to speak the truth to cleanse the sinner and uphold Jesus the Christ.

They will repent if they sinned or not repent and cause problems for the church or they will rejoice with the truth spoken.

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light?

John was Jesus' herald, the voice of one crying in the wilderness preparing the way for the Messiah to come.

In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light? How are you doing in this regard?

The great commission is given to us to go unto all people and preach the Gospel. How am I doing? . .  not too great at the moment.

He was imprisoned for speaking out against Herod for his blatant sin. Despite Herod's seeming affection for John, he still gave in to his wife's (and step-daughter's) request to behead John because John's main focus in criticizing was on Herodias, Herod's sinful wife.

A wise man told me years ago that if you want to upset people, tell them the truth. I thought beheading wasn't done any more but now we have Islamic lunatics doing just that to Christians. While that may not happen here, there is still the deriding and the contempt that people show to "God-botherers".

Hopefully their heart will be open to hearing about Jesus and salvation.

John the Baptist was sent as a witness and to testify of Jesus the Light.   We are here also to testify for the the Light, Jesus, to tell others of His word and bring them from the darkness into the light of God.  I can only give my testimony of what Jesus has done for me,  Saved me, healed me, cleansed me, and I have felt some of the fire of the of the Holy Spirit. As I look at today's world with the beheading's taking place in Northern Iraq and I look at the fate of John the Baptist.  Is there much difference when we declare Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior before men and risk the fate of death.  This is something that we as Christian Americans may have to face in times to come as radical extremists take up arms and push their ideology's forward.  But there is a reward in this in that as we speak our testimony about Jesus and bring those that choose to believe into the light then they will be saved also.  The risk is high and just as John the Baptist stood up for the testimony of Jesus we are to also do...

John the baptist was send to be a witness,or a forerunner for Jesus

which is the light.So of us are call from our mother womb like john the

baptist was to be a light for jesus.I am doing good, but i can do better

John the baptist was beheaded.More people will get saved and we will

be persecued for witness for the light (JESUS). :rolleyes: 

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to “testify” to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of “testifying” to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

*John the Baptist was sent by father GOD (ahead of JESUS), , , to proclaim JESUS' arrival. John the Baptist was trying to warn the nation of Israel to repent.

*I should do better. I need to do better! Not only is king JESUS the prototype on how to live as a child of the Creator (our father GOD), , , but John the Baptist is also a prototype on how we should becomea reflection to JESUS' arrival as well!

* John was beheaded because of his consistant rebuke on king Herod and wife Herodias. Herodias' anger had John beheaded. If I testify clearly just as bravely like John the Baptist (GOD willing) I could help a lot of lost brothers and sisters think twice or at least have them consider and talk about my king JESUS. * I have to be prepared for ridicule and or be klash and indifference. *JOHN THE BAPTIST IS AN EXCELLENT EXAMPLE OF BRAVENESS FOR JESUS.

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light?

John was sent to be “WITNESS” of the “Light”. 

John’s testimony declared, Jesus is Israel’s promised Messiah,  Jesus is the Son of God, the Father’s Sh’khinah Glory, (deity) - John was testifying, if one will believe, will place their trust in the Light, they will receive eternal life. = (John 20:30-31)  And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: These are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

The results of believing in the Messiah of Israel is that our lives “will” reveal to those who walk in “darkness”, lives that have been changed, in hopes that they too may also see the “Light” and will have “eternal life”.

John the Baptist was beheaded by those who walked in “darkness”, it was under the oath of Herod Antipas to Salome, “Ask me what you want, up to half my kingdom, and it is yours” and in her indulgence and hatred for this Jewish man John that she requested he be beheaded.

All we have to do today is look around and see how “darkness” has filled the air, not only in the world, but here in America, and with darkness comes hatred for the Jewish people, and for those who believe in Jesus, the Messiah of Israel.  We see “darkness” working hard in America to shut down the “Light” therefore dispelling the “TRUTH”. 

We see “darkness” in the Middle East beheading, torturing, and murdering those who testify that Jesus is the “Son of God”, that he is the promised Messiah.

The “CHURCH” is called to stand strong for our testimony; the church must get down on its knees in prayer and “Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem” pray “for the believers” pray for those Christians in the Middle East who are being put to death because they are testifying of the “light” to those who walk in darkness.

Our lives “MUST BE” a “testimony” to what we say and believe, in hopes that they too may come out of darkness and believe on the Son of God.

John announced Jesus the light, that was his purpose. Our purpose in being a light is to show others what it means to follow Christ who is the Light of the world. Dying as John did a physical death is one way to testify to the light another is by dying to self taking up your cross daily and follow Christ thats being a witness to the light. For me my mantra is when people whom I interact with leave me they must feel a sense of peace and love the peace and love of Christ. I teach religious knowledge once a week to 10 and 12 yr olds my purpose to be a light to them to plant a seed for Christ to grow. The kids said once to me they can see and feel that I believe Jesus is real that was my witness to the light.

What did it mean that John was sent to 'testify' to the light?

John's mission was to prepare the people for Jesus--to help them begin the thinking processes that would allow them to change old ways of understanding God and open their hearts to the things that Jesus was going to reveal as he helped them to understand the great love God has for his creation. 

As a follower of Jesus, I am not the light, but I can reflect the light as a mirror reflects the light of the room in which it is placed. I strive to live my life as a reflection of the love and grace that I have been shown, but I do not always do this perfectly. I am a wife and a mother; I was a teacher in my professional life--always striving to demonstrate the love of Jesus to my students; after I retired from teaching, I currently volunteer for a faith-based job training program for un- or under-employed adults, many of whom are recovering addicts and/or ex-offenders. I teach part of the curriculum of this program and am richly blessed as I participate in the life-changing aspects of this program. I pray constantly for all those God brings into my life who need His healing and His love. 

John, as we know, lost his head for testifying as he did. If my testimony is clear, recent events reveal that the same thing could happen to me as well as to those to whom I testify. This causes me a great deal of concern--sometimes approaching fear. It makes me aware of a tremendous responsibility to be clear in my own mind regarding what I believe and to be able to communicate clearly with others as I testify to what I believe.

John the Baptist was sent from God the Father to bear testimony and witness that Jesus is the Light.  There are many ways to testify to the Light.  At the very core are Scripture Reflection and meditating on the "Word".  I apply my knowledge to counseling, conversations with people, my ministry  and my work with Human Trafficking. 

John the Baptist was a martyr.  He had a large following and lived in the desert; perhaps because it was so dangerous to testify about Jesus.  If I testify clearly, people can be healed or saved.

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

Jesus is the Light of God and John came as forerunner to introduce Jesus to the people.

I am also telling people about Jesus and the goodnews he brought

John 

John was sent as an eye-witness, a leading witness. Light is a thing which witnesses for itself, and carries its own evidence along with it, but to those who shut their eyes against the light it is necessary there should be those that bear witness to it. Christ light needs not man's testimony, but the world's darkness does. John was like the night watchman that goes round the town, proclaiming the approach of the morning light to those that have closed their eyes, and not willing themselves to observe it. He was sent of God to tell the world that the long-looked for Messiah was now come. I think my mission is the same as John's. I am to let Christ's light shine in me so I can testify to this lost and dark world that Jesus is the light, love, and hope they are looking for. I pray everyday for the Holy Spirit to lead and guide me to reach someone that needs to know " the Word". John was killed because he spoke the truth, because he told of Christ and His love and that His light can overcome darkness. The same can happen to me. I could be killed, tortured, made fun of. To the people I have testified too, some have opened their eyes, some have turned away not wanting the light, the truth, the love.

What it meant that John was sent to testify of the light, John was sent by God filled with the Holy Spirit, to testify that Jesus was the light of God, to represent God, to declare that Jesus had come from God and he was with God from the beginning of time.

As believers in Christ, we are to testify that he was sent from God the Father to bring light into the world by the Gospel. It is our duty to follow his ways and commands, to be a witness for the light that Christ brought into the world.

In this regard of testifying to the light,  I'm not doing well at all. That is why I'm taking this course, to further my understanding of Christ.

John the Baptist was imprisoned and eventually beheaded because he had accused Herod of adultery and incest.

Today if we testify concerning Christ and accuse those who sin in this world, we are considered a phenetic, belittled and rebuked. In foreign countries being a Christian could eventually lead to our death by execution.

To the people we testify to and they accept that they are sinners and need a savior and come to Christ, they become believers in Christ and will share their testimony to others of eternal life with Christ and God the Father in heaven.    

John was the messenger..the one sent before to testify to the truth about Jesus Christ. John's mission was to "prepare" the Jewish people to receive Jesus Christ, who already walked among them unrecognized, as their savior, righteous, and holy, totally without blemish, a light in the world of darkness!John was trusted among the people, he was at the time baptizing the Jews through water baptism. The people would listen to John's testimony because he was established, and respected  among them. John's message would be heard, not all who heard believed. As ministers of God's word, we also testify. And may well be admonished for doing so.We must not be deterred.  John died as a result of preaching the righteousness brought to us through Jesus Christ. He was killed ( beheaded )for speaking out about acts of evil such as adultery and incest. We as Christians must be prepared to stand up, be strong and preach the Word of Jesus Christ. Many Christians throughout history, and even in some countries today are persecuted, and yes even tortured and killed for preaching the word to this very day. We must stand firm and strong! Fight the darkness of the world with the LIGHT of the World, Christ Jesus! fight the GOOD fight and don't give up.

John was first prophet in centuries and his purpose was to start the movement so people could accept the Messiah when he came.

Being a Christian should not be easy. There is persecution because of opposing evil forces on the Earth. If you are a Christian and comfortable- no one gets upset by your testimony- it probably means you are a watered down Christian- and Satan will leave you alone. You don't have to be rude but there should be a certain amount of uncomfort in this worldly existence.

Q2. (John 1:7-8) What did it mean that John was sent to "testify" to the light? In what sense are you put here with the purpose of "testifying" to the light? How are you doing in this regard? What happened to John the Baptist? What might happen to you if you testify clearly? What might happen to the people to whom you testify?

John was sent to prepare and tell the world about Jesus, who is the Light.

Beginning with the twelve disciples, we are to preach repentance and the forgiveness of sins in Jesus name to all the nations starting from Jerusalem.

John the Baptist rebuked Herod Antipas, Tetrarch of Galilee and Perea, for adultery and incest, and was imprisoned and later beheaded because of the tetrarch's wife Herodias's anger at John's rebuke.

If you testify clearly, Man may receive your testimony and accept Jesus as their Lord and Saviour. At the same time, Man may also reject your testimony and persecute you.