JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Becoming Flesh

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God “becoming flesh” so important to the basis of the Christian faith? What would Christ’s life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to “become flesh”? In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the idea of God "becoming flesh" so important to the basis of the Christian faith?

God is pure, without sin.  Man is sinful, but can only die for his own sin.  Thus comes the plan of God to become flesh - that is to have all attributes of a human person, as well as still fully being God.  Paul told the church at Philippi, that Jesus emptied Himself of God's powers to live in the flesh as a man.  Also in the Bible, it says that Jesus was tempted in all points as we are, but did not sin.  Therefore, Jesus, being without sin could become the payment for sin.  This He did on the Roman cross, taking all sins of mankind for all time upon His body, thus paying for them.  If Jesus had not become flesh, we, all mankind, would still be in our sins and without any hope of an eternity with God.

What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh"?

Jesus' life would have no spiritual meaning or benefit.  And we would still be in our sins.

In what ways have you personally experienced his grace?

I experienced God's grace when I surrendered to Him, believing in His atoning death for payment for my sins.  I also experience His grace each day when I sin.  Because I believe that all my sins have been washed away through being buried with Jesus in "baptism".

In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

My life had been point toward a career in science and math.  But Jesus got a hold on me and pushed me to Bible College where I met Him personally and became a speaker for His truth.

1 Corinthians 15:22 says As in Adam all die  so in Christ shall all be made alive.  Sin came through a man and if the blood of bulls and goats could not permanently satisfy  Holy God it had to be a sinless man.  Since there is no sinless man, God Himself came to earth in the form of God the Son who in obedience to the Father became the sacrifice needed to pay for my sins, your sins, the sins of the whole world.

If He were pretending (why would He) it would have made the whole birth, death and resurrection meaningless, worth nothing, invalid, pointless.  We would still be in our sins.

I experienced God's grace when He drew me to Himself so I could live with Him forever.  I continue to experience His grace everyday as He walks with me through this life.

Before I knew  Christ who is the truth I was a liar.  Now I know the truth.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

We need to pray for each other!

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God “becoming flesh” so important to the basis of the Christian faith? What would Christ’s life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to “become flesh”? In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

1 Corinthians 15

16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins.(AF) 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep(AG) in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.(AH)

The above verse answers the question. In addition Paul states, "...if Christ has not been raised our preaching is useless and so is your faith"  (v 14 NIV).

I experience God's grace in every part of my life, in the country that I live in, my family especially my wife, and by the way He has provided for me and continues to provide daily. Most importantly he has given me eternal life 1 John 5: 11, 12.

Thank you Jen.

Why is the idea of God “becoming flesh” so important to the basis of the Christian faith?

What would Christ’s life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to “become flesh”? In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?        

• Becoming flesh is important to the basis of the Christian faith because Christ became the perfect teacher, example and sacrifice.  He was unique, full of grace and truth.  If Christ's life, crucifixion and resurrection was only pretending to become flesh we would still be in our sins and not know God. There would be no death and resurrection.  No one to pay the price.  I have experience his grace simply because I am still here.  He woke me up this morning and it is not by my own doing but because of His grace and mercy.  I have a new attitude and I look at life differently.  I try to make a negative situation positive.

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God "becoming flesh" so important to the basis of the Christian faith? What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh"? In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

*God dwelling among us shows how much HE loves us. It says a lot about my Christian faith that i have a LOVING CREATOR. How important it was for HIM to manifest himself to " reach out to us" thru JESUS. . That is so incredible and beautiful. That is amazing love.

*JESUS' sacrifice and Christianity would be meaningless if HE only pretended to be flesh.

*I've experienced GOD's grace when I've humbled myself with sincerity before HIM after I "back slid" several times. Father GOD is good!

*JESUS is slowly changing my life. Conviction thru the Holy Spirit is always intense. Painful, but thankful. I'm slowly growing. But growing nevertheless.

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God “becoming flesh” so important to the basis of the Christian faith?

Jesus "came down" to become One with us...to experience physical life and it's frailties and temptations....yet overcame the world, the flesh and the devil on our behalf, so that in Him we are forgiven, cleansed and righteous and  can now live with Him for eternity. In the flesh He became the perfect, spotless sacrificial lamb on our behalf...none other than His sinless flesh dying in our place would have satisfied the wrath of God toward sin.

What would Christ’s life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to “become flesh”?

It would mean He is a deceiver, no better than the devil and we would be doomed and forsaken in misplaced faith. Praise God, He does not lie! And we now can clearly see who the deceiver is...the devil, the father of lies.

As a new believer I only wanted to "talk" to Jesus...wanted nothing to do with the Father, and told Him so.  The first area of grace in my life was to show me that He and the Father and the Holy Spirit are One....He revealed the loving Father to me. ("If you've seen Me you've seen the Father" "I only do what I see My Father doing" "I and the Father are One") Until then I saw the Father as a mean, finger pointing, white haired old man watching for me to make a mistake. The Father is now "Papa" to me. (Abba)

Jesus is the Person of Grace....I've experienced Him and His love and forgiveness every day for nearly 42 years of walking with Him. He delights me every day with His Presence, His truth, His gifts and the "winks" and "hugs" He sends to cheer me and brighten my days.

Before He tracked me down and opened His arms of love to me, I wanted to die nearly every day. The abuse and neglect from childhood had taken such a toll that I didn't want to get out of bed in the mornings. I was timid, depressed, self absorbed, with a poor self image, felt like a victim, could neither give nor receive love, saw no hope and no future and could not imagine living to old age in the hellish existence I experienced. He has been transforming me (as He promises to do for each of His own) step by step from glory to glory. I have a renewed mind, a purpose for living (to glorify Him, to share Him with others, to enjoy Him and to love Him with the love He has first given me and to love others, to reflect Him, to pray for others and for His kingdom to come on earth as it is in Heaven.... and to bring Him joy) He brought me out of darkness into His wonderful LIGHT and filled me with JOY and HOPE! How I praise and thank Him for all that He has done and continues to do!

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God “becoming flesh” so important to the basis of the Christian faith?

In order for Jesus to assume His role as our High Priest, He first had to become human to set us an example for righteous living. In order for Jesus to pay the penalty for our sins, He had to become human so he could actually die a physical death. God set out the requirement for the remission of sin . . . the sacrificial shedding of blood. God does not want human sacrifice and so He provided a system where animals were sacrificed, but at the same time He declared through His prophets that the blood of bulls and lambs can never truly wash away sins. Therefore He gave Jesus, His one and only Son, to be the perfect sacrifice. Jesus was truly human and truly Divine. Only that duality of being made Him perfect as God's atoning sacrifice.

What would Christ’s life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to “become flesh”?

I keep referring to God's holiness. We humans can't fully grasp what holiness truly is. It's perfection beyond perfection. Our world has become corrupted by sin, but it was made absolutely perfect in the beginning. It would take the perfect sacrifice to redeem the world and return things to the righteous state in God's eyes. Christ HAD to become truly flesh and not pretend simply because of God's holiness. God would not accept anything less. Jesus volunteered to die for us, knowing that only He could accomplish the Father's objective.

In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

God has seen fit to allow me to undergo continual physical and mental hardship. Any help He's given me to cope with that has been in the form of my "daily bread", so to speak . . . like the manna the Israelites were given in the desert. If they tried to gather more than enough it spoiled.

I've never had more than I need. He's given me just enough grace, just enough money, just enough healing, just enough peace of mind, to enable me to keep going. Very rarely have I experienced abundance in anything. Whenever I look like I'm going to have money left over to build up my savings, something will go serioulsy wrong with my car, my computer . . or even more frustratingly, my career, which will necessitate my spending almost all I have to rectify the situation.

I'm 60 now and in a profession (the music industry) where the emphasis is on youth. My retirement savings were HALVED by the Global Financial Crisis in 2008. My marriage ended in 2007. I'm on my own in the world's eyes. God's Grace has kept me going and is keeping me employed in spite of my age. He's allowed me to keep my guitar playing skill into mature age and the work keeps trickling in . . just enough to pay the bills and the rent.

The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory.” 1:14

No one has ever seen God; The only-begotten God [unique, one-of-a-class, only-born-God], who is at the Father’s side, He has made Him known.” 1:18

Jesus Christ is the Person of God who humbled Himself to take on human flesh and came into the world bearing the fullness of God.  I see at least three primary reasons for this. 

1) Through His unique life as God come to earth as a baby born in human flesh, He became the revealing of God to man, the only way that we could see the glory of God.  He is the only way we can know grace and truth from the mind and heart of God. Jesus would have been unqualified for this purpose if He was not pure and holy, with the unbiased/undefiled perfection, attributes, knowledge, and wisdom that are inherent only to God. (Leviticus 20:26; Isaiah 43:15; 1Peter 1:16)

2) Through His crucifixion death, He became humanity’s substitute who stood in our place of judgment for our rebellion and transgression against God. He conquered the wages of human sin, which is the rightful penalty of eternal death/separation from God. His very human blood was given in order to atone for our sin and secure the right to offer us forgiveness and salvation from destruction. But His blood would have been useless for our eternal redemption if it was not completely untainted by sin, and there is none other who is righteous and capable of accomplishing this. The Father would not have raised Jesus from physical death if the sacrificed blood had been unacceptable. (Hebrews 7:26-28; 9:12-14,22)

3) Through His resurrection, He became the victory for humanity to be transformed from being the perishable and mortal creatures that we are in our unredeemed state.  Jesus can offer this because He is imperishable and immortal, which is only true of God. (1Timothy 1:17)

If Jesus was not truly God, if He only came in the pretense of “becoming flesh”, then we would only have the pretense of salvation through Him.  (1Corinthians 15:14)

How have I personally experienced His grace and truth?  Hard to know how to begin to answer that question without writing a book!  One of the greatest “markers” of divine grace in my life is a peace that is not natural (Philippians 4:7).  Through an intact but difficult 41-yr. marriage, through the diagnosis of a serious chronic health issue for my daughter, through the years of praying to see my son come to faith in Christ, through the loss of employment, through the highs and lows, trials and failures, joys and sorrows of 60 years of life – He has given me a foundation of peace that so often has made no sense.  If I had no other evidence of His presence with me, that would be sufficient.  The truth of His Word has transformed my life, as my focus has turned from unsatisfying self-desires and unattainable self-preservation to a desire to discern and honor the good, acceptable, and perfect will of God (Romans 12:2) and a faith in Him and His Word that leads to victory (1John 5:4b).  His Word has given me calm hope, clarity, steady direction, strength, confidence, and an unwavering path to follow.  That is something worth having in this anxious, insecure, unreliable, volatile, destructive, shifting, uncertain world we live in!  My life has been filled with opportunities and blessings – and abiding JOY - because of God’s loving grace and unalterable truth.

Q4. (John 1:14) 

Why is the idea of God "becoming flesh" so important to the basis of the Christian faith? 

What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh"? 

The Word became flesh when Jesus came into the world in a human body. He had always existed as the Son of God with the Father in heaven but now Jesus chose to live a perfect life here on earth. Because of His sinless life as a man, He was qualified to pay the price for my disobedience and my evil ways. Jesus did this by sacrificing His life on the cross to pay for all my sins - past, present, and future. So, when I receive Him as my Saviour, God counts Jesus’ death as payment for all I have done wrong. What’s more, upon my salvation, Christ’s perfect life is counted as my own. His life here on earth is therefore basic to my Christian faith. His righteousness becomes mine through faith: ‘However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness’ (Romans 4:5). In the Son, I see the fullness of God’s kindness revealed. Christ’s life, crucifixion, and bodily resurrection is the centre of my Christian faith. It is because Christ rose from the dead, as He promised, that I can be sure that what He said is true and that I have the assurance that my sins are forgiven - He has defeated death. I have personally experienced His abundant grace, mercy, and love in my life. For which I am forever grateful. But more than this, I also experienced His saving grace. We read in 1 Corinthians 2:14, ‘The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.’ This was how I was before He opened my heart, eyes, and ears to His Word. By nature we are full of selfishness, pride and wickedness of all sorts. These things dominate our lives. Even living decent moral lives we are still spiritually blind. Then a sudden change! Jesus came into my life and all of a sudden I was able to perceive and understand in a new way, and saw things I had never known before. I was a sinner saved by grace! Now I experience an inner tranquillity and His peace - the peace of God and the peace with God. Thank You Lord Jesus! ‘And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus’ (Philippians 4:7). ‘Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ’ (Romans 5:1). 

God becoming flesh is extremely important to Christians because it demonstrates how much God cares for us all.  If Christ’s life were a pretence our faith would be misplaced.  It helps me personally, knowing that God has experienced first-hand the problems of life, including physical pain, temptations and the problems of human interaction.  As mentioned in a previous questions my life was utterly changed by God’s compassion following a very difficult time in my life.  I wept bitter tears and He turned my life around completely.

It is inescapable.  Jesus knows us and wants us to come to the Father through Him.   Becoming flesh makes Jesus human and becoming more accessible to us.  When Jesus became human he gave us the opportunity and experience to "take up our cross" and show us the way to resurrection.  Jesus understands in his human form how it feels to live a good life but be crucified for his Word.

Q4. (John 1:14) Why is the idea of God "becoming flesh" so important to the basis of the Christian faith? What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh"? In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

God had to come in human form to live and die for our sin since animals sacrifice were not effective. As God, he could not die and without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin. So it was necessary that God had to become human to fulfil the requirement of sacrifice by blood shedding and the righteous requirement of the sacrifice.

I am a beneficiary of his grace because he accepted me as his child despite my huge sins. The life I now live is by his grace.

It is important because John wrote that God himself became flesh in Christ. Jesus' humanity and divinity were complete, not partial. The two ideas, Jesus 100 percent divine and 100 percent human form the bedrock of a Christian understanding of Christ. The Father's glory was now present in Jesus Christ. If He was only pretending, it wouldn't mean a thing. We would not be children of God, our sins not forgiven, no eternal life. I have experienced His grace in so many ways. Sickness, saying something or doing something that is wrong, getting angry. Praise God for His mercy and grace. His truth has changed my life from a doubter to a believer. In knowing His truth, I am set free from sin, I have His light shining in me. I know of His love and that I can fully trust Him.

It is important that the idea of God becoming flesh for us because through his only begotten son, God has revealed the truth to the world. All that believe and accept him are not left alone in the world. God sends the Holy Spirit to bear witness with our spirit that he is true and we are his children.

If Christ life were only pretend then without  his life, calcification and resurrection, we would still be lost in our sins and there would be no hope for the world at all. We still would be lost sinners, with no way to heaven to be with the Lord in his glory.

I have personally experienced his grace by knowing he loves me before I knew him. He was willing to lay down his life for all that through his loving mercy and grace we are adopted into the heavenly glory of God himself, if we follow his commands and of course love him.

There are many things in life that the Lord has shown me, because of his love for me. I have felt many things in life that offend him, because he loves me, many things have left my life for good. For example, if one truly loves his parents or spouse, we would not do anything to offend them, so we are sanctified with help of the Holy Spirit to not do those things that would offend or cause a problem between us and the Lord.   

God becoming flesh is so important, because he come into this sinful

world to become one of us to go through some of the same thing thaat we

as human went through.  he don't have to go through some of the things

that he went through he did it all for you and me.

I have personal experience his grace by him let me feel his glory his presence

without this grace we couldn't He went on the cross to make us worthy.

By having his spirit he let me know the truth form a lie when I heard it

this have help me so much. Thank you Jesus for let me come to your

throne.

Jesus had to become flesh, to live as a human but without any faults/sin so his death carries enough weight to pay for the sins of man. His death was sufficient for mine, and yours, and everyone who chooses Him. He was the ultimate Passover Lamb.

I have felt His grace which gave me freedom from my past. I finally learned how to repent- to throw my worries in to the "ocean" of God's grace and leave them there. I now live on the promises of Jesus today and trust Him with my future. My past no longer haunts me... I no longer live with regrets.

(John ) Why is the idea of God "becoming flesh" so important to the basis of the Christian faith? What would Christ's life, crucifixion, and resurrection mean if he were only pretending to "become flesh"? In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was?

God is Spirit but we are flesh. If Jesus did not take come to earth, take on human form and suffered and died for us, it would be very difficult for us to accept God's word and promises. In our fleshly mind, there would always remain the question - "How would God know what I am going through, he has never experience what I am suffering/experiencing now?". But then God knows because Jesus became flesh and made his dwelling among us. It was because of this that Jesus was able to draw men to Himself when He was lifted up on the cross.

Jesus' life, crucifixion and resurrection would have been meaningless if He only pretended to become flesh.

Yes, I personally experience God's grace everyday. The most recent example was passing my real estate licence exam when all the odds were stacked against me. God is good and His mercies are new every morning! Amen.

To me, as a Christian, and I may have it wrong, God becoming flesh is important because He loved us.  He created the world and gave us everything.  What did we do with it?  We learned and very quickly to kill, lie, cheat and steal.  God flooded the world and started again.  Once again the wheel turned and we killed, lied, cheated and stole.  He sent prophets.  Same thing.  Kings same thing.  So after remaining quiet for 400 years, He sent a baby.  Born in a cave to poor but a proud people.  Raised among us he knew our pain.  He knew our hunger.  He knew love, sadness, and death. He came into His own and drew men to him.  He lived our lives!  This to me is important.  He walked this earth just like I do.  He came for me.  He died for me and the sins I will commit next year.  He defeated death for me so if I freely receive I will live in eternity with him.  Everything He did was for me.  I know He did this.  He has walked with me through my husband's cancer and he is still fighting.  I have MS and am not in very good condition right now, He is with me.  I know if I have do deal with anything He is always with me giving me strength.  My life has changed alot.  I have a chronic disease and at my age I know I am drawing to "a close" as is my husband.  We have no fear of death as He will walk with us.  We are both ministers and we know we have done our best.  He is waiting for us.

Why is the idea of God “becoming flesh” so important to the basis of the Christian faith?

God 'became flesh' so that we could see that he was like us. So that we could understand that He knew what sins we would have to deal with and that ​He did not succumb to sins the way that we do. l

Only one who was fully divine and fully human could save mankind from sin. His humanity enabling Him to die on our behalf and His divinity ensuring that he would conquer death and offer life to those who would believe in him.

When I think of Christ on that cross dieing that horrific Crucifixion and death for me I just weep.

In what ways have you personally experienced his grace? In what ways has his truth changed your life from what it was? 

I know that I am 'different' , and i know that I am being changed my thoughts are different and my reactions are different.

I know the grace and love and peace of God in my heart.

I have health issues and two years ago I was being sent to the hospital and i was so frightened I couldn't even 'think'.

I was shaking and walking up and down and saying 'O God what am I going to do'   and then I FELT  the peace of God come down over me, and I stopped shaking and I was calm and I had the answer to my question.

1. And the word was made flesh means becoming human.  By doing so Christ became: The perfect teacher.  In Jesus life we see how God thinks and therefore see how we should think.

2.The perfect example: shows us what we are to become and gives us the power to live that way

3.The perfect sacrifice:Jesus came as a sacrifice for all sins and his death satisfied God's requirements for the removal of sin

2. Everything we do as a christian  would be in vain.  After Christ came and walk as man we could fully know him.  Jesus is both God and man.

3. God brought me from a muddy pit to become one of his children. He made possible that I would always have someone to talk to and go to in my time of need..  The Lord is my light and my salvation.

4. When you try to do things without God we make a mess God's word has showed me to always go to him first. God will always be there for us.  

He had to become flesh to die that we may live

It would be a sham! And we would all be separated from God in the end because of our sin.

My salvation.

From a life of fear of horrible things happening to a peace that God will provide what I need in those times.   From nightmares to sweet sleep at night.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the idea of God “becoming flesh” is important to the basis of the Christian faith because we now know that God really and truly loves us. He gave his only son to die on the cross for our sins. His resurrection is very important because we now have an adversary. If he was only pretending to “become flesh” then we don’t have anything to base our hope on in entering the Kingdom of Heaven.

I can look back over my life and see that if it weren’t for Jesus intervening and saving me I probably would be dead by now. Not only once but a whole bunch of times.

The idea of God “becoming flesh” is important to the basis of the Christian faith because it is by this means God chose to save us.   If God were only pretending to “become flesh”, Christ’s life, crucifixion, and resurrection would be a mere sham.  There would be no power to save, no access to eternal life.  Thank God for Jesus, it is God's grace that gave us Jesus who came into this world, was crucified and resurrected so that I may have eternal life.  It is this truth, that Jesus became flesh and dwelt among man, to give me access to the Kingdom of God and the Holy Spirit that now dwell within to keep refresh the truth; that changed my life and will keep me until I see Him face to face.

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (John 1:14)

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us." (John 1:14a)

God through Jesus Christ became flesh. He showed how a man can do a journey in this world while relying in the promise and provisions of God by believing in Christ.

Then all will be in vain. The blood that was spilled would mean nothing and our sins have no remissions.

When He gave me light, he let me known of my sins and that my life is just a mist or just a breath. He showed His unconditional love by giving his life for me.

I got Peace, I got Patience, I learned to Pray - talk to him constantly, I have his Provisions, my hope is his Promises