JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Only Begotten God

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it mean that Jesus is the "Only God" or the "Only Begotten God"?

Man in his filthy mind has made this statement into a false teaching.  They want to say that by using the word "begotten", John is implying that Jesus is a "created" being, like the angels.  By not using the word "begotten" and using just "only God", we are putting forth the truth of the rest of the scriptures.  Jesus is God - Jesus is very God - Jesus is the very essence of God.

Does the Apostle John seem to make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son?

No, only man in his degraded mind have tried to make a distinction that is not there.  God the Father and Jesus the son are ONE !

What does all this mean for our understanding of the Trinity?

The word "trinity" is not found in the Bible.  But because man needs to label everything, we have put the word "trinity" to mean - Father - Son - Holy Spirit.  I believe scholars have tried too hard to make this fit.  We need to believe that God is God and that He is ONE ONLY.  

Why must we believe in the trinity to be a true Christian?  I believe in God the Father - Jesus as God the Son - Holy Spirit as God the Spirit.  Is this wrong?  Am I a heretic believing this?  Our trust is the truth that Jesus is God and He has redeemed us.

Q5. (John 1:18) What does it mean that Jesus is the “Only God” or the “Only Begotten God”?

It means He is the second Person of the Triune God...the only God. He has always existed with the Father and the Holy Spirit. At the appointed time, He came down from Heaven and was born of a Virgin with the untainted blood of His Father. (meaning He was not created...He is Creator God along with the Father and the Holy Spirit (as shown in Gen 1:26 Elohim....Plural, Triune "Let US make man in OUR image.")

Does the Apostle John seem to make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son?

I love how the Amplified renders V18: No man has ever seen God at any time: the only unique Son or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom (in the intimate presence) of the Father. He has declared Him (He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen: He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known.) John is saying the Three distinct persons are One God.

God is FATHER, Jesus is the WORD of the Father Who became (flesh) the visible expression of the Father on earth. The Holy Spirit is the PERSON  and the POWER of the Triune God Who was sent to indwell believers after Jesus the Son ascended to Heaven following the Resurrection. He is now the expression on earth of the other Two Persons of the Triune God in Heaven, and He is everywhere at once...like the air or the atmosphere.

It's no wonder to me that the Church is so impotent in the world today, as the Holy spirit's purpose is ignored or denied due to either fear or ignorance. Jesus said we will do the works which He did and even greater works....but that is possible only as we allow the full power of His Holy Spirit to live out His life in and through us.

(John 1:18) What does it mean that Jesus is the “Only God” or the “Only Begotten God”? Does the Apostle John seem to make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son? What does all this mean for our understanding of the Trinity?

I think it is taking it a bit far (perhaps not) translating this part of verse (John 1:18): "Only God" or "Only Begotten God". As explained in the study notes, some english translations use the term "The only Son (RSV). My bible explains in the footnotes that some Greek manuscripts read: "But the only Son (or the only Begotten Son)" (The Zondervan Parallel New Testament in Greek and English 1975). It would be fascinating to learn Koine Greek- the origional language of most of the new testament manuscripts. On my 'to do list'.

Yes the apostle John does in some places, make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son, and in some places does not. I find the following diagram helpful to explain the trinity

Q5. (John 1:18) What does it mean that Jesus is the “Only God” or the “Only Begotten God”? Does the Apostle John seem to make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son? What does all this mean for our understanding of the Trinity?

*Simple. King JESUS is the same and part of farther GOD. JESUS is not only son, but GOD himself. A son is a reflection of his dad. King JESUS is not only a reflection OF THE father, but is also originally GOD himself.

Yes there is a distinction. Jesus is one of a kind, so is Father GOD. Seperated they are "son" and "father". But together they are one of the same, , ,but seperated they are one of the same as well! It sounds contradictory, but it makes sense. Supernaturally speaking. King JESUS is the begotten God\son. ;-)

*Understanding the Trinity is simple. GOD, JESUS & HOLY SPIRIT are three different people, but the same as a whole. Seperated they are still ONE. The Holy Spirit was there with the Father and JESUS when creation of the universe began.

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Q5. (John 1:18) What does it mean that Jesus is the "Only God" or the "Only Begotten God"?

It means He is the One and only unique Son, who is identical with God the Father

Yes, the word tells us there is but only One who sits upon the throne, and from there all authority stems from, that the Son is at the Father’s right hand, and whose headship the Son is under, however, the word teaches us that the Son is kinship, identical in all ways with the Father except in that of position and authority, the understanding lies only in the very nature of God Himself. His ways and thoughts are not that of man, but to only trust and to have “faith” in He is who he says He is.

To believe in the “Trinity” is to believe in the “Three in One God” The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit, and that they are working as one, as the Son said in his last prayer to the Father, that we would be one as they are one.

Q5. (John 1:18) What does it mean that Jesus is the “Only God” or the “Only Begotten God”? Does the Apostle John seem to make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son? What does all this mean for our understanding of the Trinity?

John, as Pastor Ralph points out, is somewhat ambiguous in his writings. Then along comes a verse that really cuts to the chase. The first chapter of John's Gospel outlines who Jesus really is, from an earthly and Heavenly standpoint. We have to remember that John was perhaps Jesus' closest friend during His time on earth. John knew Jesus as a man and also as his God. Something so profound will have a huge impact on how John writes about Jesus. He saw Jesus as the Son of God and acknowledged Him as the eternal God as well.

Only during His time on earth was Jesus apart from God the Father. Therefore there is a distinction between God the Father and God the Son.

John was a fisherman, not a scholar. Even under the direction and inspiration of the Holy Spirit, his personality and humanity show through in his writings. I think John would have been a very humble unassuming man.

Contrast John's simple writings with Paul's . . who was very highly educated.

Of all the Gospels, John's Gospel gives us the clearest understanding that Jesus is God Himself. The whole Trinitarian thing is really difficult to understand.

Q5. (John 1:18) 

What does it mean that Jesus is the "Only God" or the "Only Begotten God"? 

It means that Jesus is God’s unique Son, the only one of its kind, and that there is no other son like Him. Jesus Christ is eternal God; He has always existed. We can see God revealed in nature, and also note His mighty works in history; but we cannot see God Himself. But Jesus is the image of the invisible God (Col 1:15), and it is through Jesus that God is revealed. Jesus Christ explains God to us and interprets Him for us. We simply cannot understand God apart from knowing His Son, Jesus Christ. Yes, John does make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son. When John tells us that the Word is with God, he shows distinction from God the Father (John 1:1-2). Another example is in John 14:26 where all 3 persons of the Trinity are named. John mentions that on the day of Pentecost the Holy Spirit would reveal more, having been sent by the Father in the name of Christ. As far as my understanding of the Trinity is concerned we are taught in Scripture that God is 3 persons; each person is fully God; and there is one God. 

I think ‘Only God’ means that Jesus is fully divine.  ‘Only begotten God’ means that this fully divine person was conceived and born (took flesh). Yes, John does make a distinction by saying that Jesus ‘made God known’, almost as though he is a separate being.  Jesus also often places himself as subordinate, for example as sitting at the right hand of the Father.  At this stage of the Gospel we hear a very clear outline of the unity and separate being of Father and Son.  This is very helpful to our understanding of the nature of the Trinity.  All that is required now is the addition of the Holy Spirit, who is mentioned in St Luke’s Gospel at the time of Mary’s visit to her cousin Elizabeth, in other words right from the beginning of Christ’s incarnation.

Q5. (John 1:18) What does it mean that Jesus is the "Only God" or the "Only Begotten God"? Does the Apostle John seem to make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son? What does all this mean for our understanding of the Trinity?

It means he is in every way and sense God too even though he is the son of God.

Yes he distinguished Jesus as different from God and seated beside God.

This further explains to us that God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are three distinct Beings but are

Jesus Christ stands unique in all of history.  His physical birth made the invisible God, who is spirit, visible to man, who is flesh.  His birth is the only time eternal God confined Himself in a human body and was born into the world, not as a beginning point of existence but as a beginning point of execution of the plan of redemption - a plan that triune God had intentioned before creation began.

John does make a clear distinction between God the Father and God the Son.  This was after having declared in vs.1 that Jesus Christ the Son is the Word who was with God from the beginning, and is God.  This reveals God first as a dual personhood (with the Spirit later revealed as the third person in vs.32).  All 3 divine persons are equal in power and authority as eternal self-existence God.  This confirms the use of the plural form of God’s Hebrew name (Elohim) in Genesis 1:1, which was also confirmed when God said “let us create man in our image…in our likeness” (Genesis 1:26).  God exists in a Trinity.

What it means it that all that Jesus is and does interprets and explains who God is and what He does. Jesus shares the substance of God's being. Yes, he does make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son, It helps us to understand that there are 3 God-head to the Trinity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

John1:1-3 declares that Jesus is the "only begotten of God", John tells us that Jesus is in the bosom of God, together with God. God sent him into the world to declare the true God and his will.

John seems to make a distinction between God the father and Jesus his son, yet it appears Jesus is fully God himself. Jesus is with God since before the beginning of time, yet he is God, a mystery we can not understand. If Jesus were God the Father, then he would not have to pray for guidance from heaven. Jesus prayed and was obedient to the father, thus he was part God and part human.

For the explanation of the trinity we can understand that God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one. The Father sent his son to proclaim the good news of the gospel, after Christ resurrection the Holy Spirit has come to bear witness to us of Christ authority, he speaks only what he hears the Father say.     

Lesson 1 Q5. (John 1:18) What does it means that Jesus is the "only God" or the "only Begotten God" I fear lest I take anything out of the word, or put anything. the scripture truly teaches that is the 'Only Begotten" of the Father. John i: 14 state that Jesus is the "Only Begotten" of the Father, full of grace and truth; John 1:18 teaches "God" the only begotten  son he hath declared. When I read 1 Corinthians 8: 1-6 this state that there is one God. Yes John clearly made a distinction between the Father and the son! Colossians 1:15 also state who is the image of the invisible God the firstborn of every creature. This means that there is three distinct member of the Godhead: there is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Genesis1:26 states "God said, Let us make man in our image; Gen. 3:22 states " man is become as one of us, to know good and evil, Matthew 3:17 "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Pertaining to the Holy Spirit  Scripture, also states in Luke 3:22 The Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove.      

Jesus (the Word) is the portion of God in unity that became flesh. He chose to dwell in the flesh as a man but He is eternal and has always existed. When God the Father, God the Word, and God the Spirit are together that is the full essence of God in whole. To think any differently puts human limitations on God the Eternal. I think John makes the distinction as a way of expressing how God is revealed to man, how man has different viewpoints/perspectives of a limitless God that can be expressed in various ways.

Q5. (John 1:18) What does it mean that Jesus is the "Only God" or the "Only Begotten God"? Does the Apostle John seem to make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son? What does all this mean for our understanding of the Trinity? 

If we take a closer look at Gen 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

and John 1:1-2 "1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2  He was with God in the beginning.

Lets' follow "In the beginning God"  "In the beginning the Word" John explains the distinction between God the Father and God the Son. Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father Eph 1:20. He is the way. Jesus declared I am the way and the truth John 14:6, I and the father are one John 10:30, so the distinction is clear. I believe in the trinity, we need to be careful when Jesus say "I and the Father are one" in what context perhaps think about it....God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit

(John 1:18) What does it mean that Jesus is the "Only God" or the "Only Begotten God"? Does the Apostle John seem to make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son? What does all this mean for our understanding of the Trinity? 

I believe that John was trying to explain that while Jesus is God, Jesus can also be seen as separate and distinct. John 10:38 says "... the Father is in me and I in the Father." John 5:26 says "For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself." It is sufficient for us to understand that while the Trinity exists and each person of the Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit, is separate and distinct, they are also the Only God or Only Begotten God.

Jesus is the "Only God" to me means He always was, is and will be.  Nothing before Him.  He was just there. I may be wrong but I do not believe John makes a distinction between God the Father and God the Son.  Understanding the Trinity - I explain it this way to the children.  I am my husband's wife, I am my children's mother, and I am me.  But, all are one.

• 2 weeks later...

What does it mean that Jesus is the “Only God” or the “Only Begotten God”? 

The uniqueness of our God, that Jesus is fully God yet fully man. There is only one God the Son. Only one way to God.

The Apostle John does seem to make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son yet he defines them as one.

John saw Jesus as a man knew His history here on earth and recognized that he was God the Son.  He was an eyewitness.

• 3 weeks later...

The meaning that Jesus is the “Only God” or the “Only Begotten God” is that He was fully Man and fully God. John even makes the distinction between God the Father and God the Son. So our understanding of the Trinity is that God is in three persons God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is the “Only God” or the “Only Begotten God” means that Jesus is fully God.  The Apostle John does make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son, as he speaks to the preexistence of Christ and that He is "at the Father's side."   This means that indeed our understanding of the Trinity should be that the Father God, Jesus Christ is God and the Holy Spirit is God; three of one.

• 4 weeks later...

Q5. (John 1:18)

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14b)

What does it mean that Jesus is the “Only God” or the “Only Begotten God”?

It is amazing and really a grace to know God. To know that he is GodMeaning you cannot compare it to any human mind or to any creature. That is why he is also being called Almighty God. Our Father revealed himself through Jesus as the only God and also revealed himself as the only Begotten Son. That is why whoever was given understanding was given a grace of wisdom of knowledge and understanding. This is the real good reason to say WOW!

John did not make any distinction between God the Father and God the Son.

Jesus in the flesh is the very Expression of God Himself, and that this Jesus IS God himself

"No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known." (John 1:18)

God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, the triune God in ONE

God the Father : By His Word he proclaimed his being God who created all things and who is the sovereign ruler of all things. The Divine. The Highness.

God the Son: God knows already that we cannot do the righteous things by ourself, we will not come to him by ourself. He came down and humble himself unto us to show how to be humble down and meek through Jesus.

God the Holy Spirit: Unseen God that only the Father knows who is always with us even before this world begun. And after the ascension of Christ many believers proved that its existing until now. The Teacher, the Chastiser, the Counselor, and the Comforter. This Holy Spirit resides in us.

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (John 1:18) What does it mean that Jesus is the "Only God" or the "Only Begotten God"? Does the Apostle John seem to make a distinction between God the Father and God the Son? What does all this mean for our understanding of the Trinity? 

There is really no way to understand the Trinity other than what Jesus said, especially in John 14, that the Spirit of Truth would come after Jesus returned to heaven. Clearly this identifies the Trinity, otherwise it is not something that we an understand.

We are lucky that we have a soul, and that the Holy Spirit is withing us and strengthening us, and our connection with God, the Triune God of love and truth.  

So clearly has John documented this from what Jesus said and what God spoke at certain moments, like after His baptism in the river. We here the Father, we know what the son did, and we feel the Holy Spirit, and we are more than blessed that this Trinity of Grace, Truth, and of miraculous power and love is always there for us.