JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Skepticism and Faith

• 5 weeks later...

How does Jesus deal with Nathanael skepticism?

Jesus commended Nathanael.  He didn't get defensive or argue.  He already knew Nathanael.  He was a modest devout man.  He also knew that  the Messiah was to come from Bethlehem.

The nature of the miracle was something between Jesus and Nathanael that they both knew what Nathanael was doing under the fig tree and it was commendable.

Nathanael immediately gives Jesus the title Son of God and King of Israel.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q4. (John 1:45-50) How does Jesus deal with Nathanael's skepticism?

He says something that convince Nathaniel that He knew who Nathaniel is. For Nathaniel it was a miracle that convinced him immediately.

This is why we receive Power to following miracles as well. It is not to impress people, it is to lead them to Christ

What was the nature of the miracle?

Wisdom

Upon coming to faith, what title does Nathanael bestow upon Jesus?

Son of God. Hrs knew Jesus same from the Kingdom

I admire Nathanael.  I believe that he was 'hungry' for God and His righteousness.  Jesus met Nathanael 'where he was and Nathanael responded.  How I long to see my nursing home residents do the same.  I think that Philip was wise when he said 'Come and see.'  Nathanael was 'open' to receive and when Jesus told him something that only he knew, he recognized Jesus as Son of God and followed Him.

Q4. (John 1:45-50) How does Jesus deal with Nathanael’s skepticism?

Nathanael could not believe that anything good could come out of Nazareth. He may have known the prophecy that Messiah would be born in Bethlehem....so he didn't think this could be He. Jesus knew this and told him things that only God could know.

Jesus greeted Nathanael by telling him he was an honest man from the tribe of Judah. (By the Holy spirit, Jesus knew Nathanael's heart condition and lineage) Then when asked how Jesus knew him, He answered "Before Philip called you, when you were still under the fig tree, I saw you." So whatever Nathanael experienced under the fig tree, he knew that Jesus both seen and knew which, convinced Nathanael!

"Rabbi, You are the Son of God!  You are the King of Israel!"

Q4. (John 1:45-50) 

How does Jesus deal with Nathanael's scepticism? 

Jesus must have surprised Nathanael by speaking to him as if He had known hin previously. The Lord had given Nathanael two proofs that He was the Messiah. Firstly, he describes Nathanael’s character (in whom there is no deceit), and secondly, He states that He had seen Nathanael, under the fig tree, when no other eyes could have seen him. These two proofs were sufficient for Nathanael, and he believed. But now the Lord Jesus promised that he would see even greater proofs than these. Nathanael’s eyes were opened to behold the divine glory and power of Christ Jesus and calls Jesus ‘the Son of God’ and ‘the King of Israel’.  

Q4. (John 1:45-50) How does Jesus deal with Nathanael's skepticism? What was the nature of the miracle? Upon coming to faith, what title does Nathanael bestow upon Jesus?

Jesus showed Nathanael that he saw him when he was under the fig tree meaning that Jesus is Omniscient God. Jesus has revelation knowledge, an ability to know even hidden things.

Nathanael declared that Jesus is the Son of God and the King of Israel.

How does Jesus deal with Nathanael’s skepticism? What was the nature of the miracle? Upon coming to faith, what title does Nathanael bestow upon Jesus?          

• Nathanael was skeptical because Phillip introduced Jesus as coming from Nazareth.  The Nazarenes were despised by the Jews.  When Jesus told Nathanael that he knew him because he saw him under the fig tree before Phillip found him.  Nathanael felt there was some kind of supernatural prophetic insight into his life and he called Jesus the Son of God, King of Israel.

Q4. (John 1:45-50) How does Jesus deal with Nathanael’s skepticism? What was the nature of the miracle? Upon coming to faith, what title does Nathanael bestow upon Jesus?

As the notes explain, Jesus said that he had observed Nathanael under a fig tree even before Philip had called him. Jesus seems to have revealed to Nathanael that he knew something about him that nobody else could have told him about. So Nathanael realised that this was an extraordinary happeing, As a result; Nathanael came to the conclusion that all that Philip had told him about Jesus was true. Nathanael stated: "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the king of Israel! (John 1:49b RSV). According to the notes this declearation is the equivalent of calling Jesus the Messiah. This is the Messiah that was promissed to the Israelites- the people of God, promised to them by Moses and the Prophets (John 1:45).

Q4. (John 1:45-50) How does Jesus deal with Nathanael’s skepticism? What was the nature of the miracle?

Jesus tells Nathaniel that he knows things about him that only a prophet would know. They've never met, nor set eyes on each other prior to this first meeting and Nathaniel is shrewd enough to recognize the miracle of prophetic insight in Jesus' words. I think Jesus gave Nathaniel the exact word he was needing to believe in Him. Jesus instantly overcomes Nathaniel's natural predjudice against all things Nazarene with the greatest of ease!

Nathaniel actually gives Jesus TWO titles! The Son of God . . and the King of Israel.

Q4. (John 1:45-50) How does Jesus deal with Nathanael's skepticism?

Jesus dealt with Nathanael’s skepticism with “truth” of who Nathanael was, you are a true Israelite, a Jew which is one inwardly; whose circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, in whom there is no guile, whose praise is not of men, but of God. Here is a stranger to Nathanael, and yet he seems to know just who he is, how can that be?

Q5. What was the nature of the miracle?

Jesus continued to tell, by prophesying to Nathanael, about a moment in times past, something only Nathanael knew, before Phillip called Nathanael to come and see the Messiah, Nathanael spent some time under a fig tree, that must have been a very important moment for Nathanael, for when Jesus spoke to Nathanael and told him he saw him there, it was an opener to him and faith came to life in the heart of Nathanael. (I have to wonder while he was there under the fig tree, was he praying that he might one day see the Messiah.)

Q6. Upon coming to faith, what title does Nathanael bestow upon Jesus?

He bestowed upon Jesus what every believer in order to be saved must also bestow; Jesus is the “Son of God”; the King of Israel.

Q4. (John 1:45-50) How does Jesus deal with Nathanael’s skepticism? What was the nature of the miracle? Upon coming to faith, what title does Nathanael bestow upon Jesus?

Jesus deals with Nathaniel's skepticism by saying, "Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false' . Jesus also tells him he saw him while he was still under the fig tree before Philip called him". this would let Philip know that Jesus knew Philip before he meet the Lord.

The nature of the miracle was the fact He heard and seen Philip under the fig tree and the comment he made about anything good coming out of Nazareth.

Upon coming to the faith Nathaniel tells Jesus "Rabbi, you are the Son of God". His faith had enlightened him to realize who Jesus was. 

He praises him as a ‘true Israelite’ and when Nathaniel asks how Jesus knows this about him, tells him that he saw him under a fig tree.  This must relate to an important incident in Nathaniel’s life, because it is enough for Nathaniel to realise that Jesus really is the Messiah.  The nature of the miracle is the ability to know something about Nathaniel’s life which could not be known under normal circumstances.  Nathaniel calls Jesus the Son of God and King of Israel.

How does Jesus deal with Nathanael's skepticism? Jesus immediately told Nathanael something only Nathanael would know.  I'm sure it shocked Nathanael but it also got his attention.

What was the nature of the miracle? Divine knowledge. Knowing without seeing. 

Upon coming to faith, what title does Nathanael bestow upon Jesus? Son of God, King of Israel.

Despite my attempts not to, I too pre-judge people when/before I meet them like Nathanael. What good could come out of Nazareth... As I get older (and grow in faith thankfully) I do not judge people as I did when I was younger- for their upbringing, background, ethnicity, culture, life choices, etc... I was really only comfortable with people I perceived to be "good" like me. Jesus knows our faults even if we do not and loves us anyway so He said something that only Nathanael would know so he may be confident in who Christ is. Nathanael then proclaimed Jesus the Son of God... believed in Him and was saved.

(John 1:45-50) How does Jesus deal with Nathanael’s skepticism? What was the nature of the miracle? Upon coming to faith, what title does Nathanael bestow upon Jesus?  

Jesus performs a miracle to convince Nathaniel - 'I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.' (John 1:48) - probably referring to some incident that Nathaniel experienced under a fig tree. Upon coming to faith, Nathaniel declared "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel." (John 1:49) which meant the Messiah, the promised son of David who would restore the throne of Israel once again.

• 2 weeks later...

Nathanael was not sure of anything good coming out of Nazarareth.  When Jesus saw Nathanael he told him he was an Israelite and no guile in him which means he was not fake.

The miracle was Jesus told him of some incident under the fig tree which Nathanael  alone knew about. 

Rabbi Son of God King of Israel

Jesus dealt with Nathanael's skepticism by revealing somthing to him that only comes with supernatural knowledge. This was indeed a miracle since Nathanael had not experienced such before.  Upon coming to faith, Nathanael called Jesus "Son of God" and "King of Israel."

• 2 weeks later...

How does Jesus deal with Nathanael's skepticism?

Jesus tells the others around Him that, "here is a true Israelite in whom is nothing false".

Jesus tells Nathanael that He saw him under the fig tree, before Philip called him.

Upon coming to faith, what title does Nathanael bestow on Jesus?

Rabbi, you are the Son of God, you are the King of Israel.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (John 1:45-50)

John 1:45-50 (KJV)
45  Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
46  And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.
47  Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!
48  Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.
49  Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.
50  Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.

How does Jesus deal with Nathanael’s skepticism?

Come and see. This was the best way to answer Nathanael. He did not sit down to reason with him, or speculate about the possibility that a good thing could come from Nazareth; but he asked him to go and examine for himself, to see the Lord Jesus, to hear him converse, to lay aside his prejudice, and to judge from a fair and candid personal inquiry. So we should beseech sinners to lay aside their prejudices against religion, and to be Christians, and thus make trial for themselves. If men can be persuaded to come to Jesus, all their petty and foolish objections against religion will vanish. They will be satisfied from their own experience that it is true, and in this way only will they ever be satisfied.

The miracle is when someone believe, it is the grace even though we are not worthy. Nathanael have faith at once to Jesus and that is the nature of the miracle. (John 1:47-48)

Nathanael responds with instant faith in response to this prophetic insight:

Verse 49. Rabbi. Master. Applied appropriately to Jesus, and to no one else, Matthew 23:10.

The Son of God. By this title he doubtless meant that he was the Messiah. His conscience told him that he had judged right of his character, and that therefore he must know the heart and the desires of the mind. If so, he could not be a mere man, but must be the long-expected Messiah.

The King of Israel. This was one of the titles by which the Messiah was expected, and this was the title which was affixed to his cross, John 19:18. This case of Nathanael John adduces as another evidence that Jesus was the Christ. The great object he had in view in writing this gospel was to collect the evidence that he was the Messiah, Matthew 20:31. A case, therefore, where Jesus searched the heart, and where his knowledge of the heart convinced a pious Jew that he was the Christ, is very properly adduced as important testimony.

(*) "the Son" Matthew 14:33, John 20:28,29

(*) "the King of Israel" Matthew 21:5, 27:11

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (John 1:45-50) How does Jesus deal with Nathanael's skepticism? What was the nature of the miracle? Upon coming to faith, what title does Nathanael bestow upon Jesus?

Jesus speaks of miracle knowledge impossible for him to know unless he is God. Jesus was "there" when Philip came to see Nathanael. Impossible unless He sees through everything. Oh what a wonder, to be trusted above all things! 

​How could he be not God; and Philip had said that maybe Jesus was the Messiah.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus knew about Nathanael before the two ever met. Jesus also knows what we are really like. An honest person will feel comfortable with the thought that Jesus knows him or her through and through. A dishonest person will feel uncomfortable. You can’t pretend to be something you’re not. God knows the real you and wants you to follow him.

Jesus saw him under the fig big tree before Philip called him

The name bestowed on Jesus, Jesus was son of God 

Jesus deals with Nathaniel's skepticism by referring to him as "a true Israelite, in whom nothing is false". Nathaniel replies, "How do you know me?".

Jesus refers to an incident Nathaniel had experienced "under a fig tree" before Phillip even called him.

The nature of this miracle is, Nathaniel responds with instant faith.

Upon coming to faith, Nathaniel bestows upon  Jesus the title of, "Son of God, the King of Israel".

• 2 months later...

Jesus knows what is in Nathanael's heart. Jesus was able to tell him what had happened under a tree. The miracle was that Jesus had not been near the tree, but he still knew what took place. Once Nathanael believes what he had been told, he announces that Jesus was the Son of God and the King of Israel. This would mean that Jesus might have been compared to King DAvid at that moment. He was the King of God's chosen people.