JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Seeing the Kingdom

• 1 month later...

Jesus teaches that the Kingdom of God is a spiritual place and to enter in we must be born again with water and the spirit. Born again in our thinking, in our relations with others in our relationship with God we must seek after heavenly things and thoughts. We must believe in all that God has revealed to us. Having believe our actions must reflect this new belief it goes deeper than just mouthing the words, being born again means our central point and focus is Jesus and God's Kingdom.

Nicodemus did not get pass the born again revelation, he was still caught up in earthly thinking. He believed it to be a physical action of being born again. Although he taught spiritual aspects of his faith to others it went no deeper than book knowledge. It was not shared on a spiritual level but one of rituals and expected actions where was the love and compassion and mercy of God? Nicodemus failed to grasp Jesus' meaning of born again thus to understand the nature of the Kingdom of God.

What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

Jesus was teaching that the nature of the Kingdom of God is 'internal' no 'external.  The Kingdom of God iss within us.

I do not believe that Nicodemus understood what Jesus was saying.  Conversely, just the fact that he 'came to Jesus' to have a discussion indicates that he was searching.  It is evident later in the Gospel that he and Joseph of Arimathea 'prepared the body of Jesus for burial.'  To me, that also indicates that Nicodemus came to believe in Jesus as the Son of God.

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

Nature of the kingdom of God

Jesus said that his kingdom is not of this world (John 18:36).

In John 3:3 Jesus said that one cannot see (discern the kingdom of God) unless one is born anew (spiritual regeneration, 1 Peter 1:3).

In addition the kingdom is entered in a spiritual manner, ...you must be born anew (John 3:7) before you can enter the Kingdom of God.

Jesus made a clear distinction between a physical birth and a spiritual rebirth (John 3:6).

Did Nicodemus understand?

We are not sure if Nicodemus understands Jesus in the end. Perhaps his understanding is progressive. He does not appear to understand the spiritual nature of the Kingdom of God- to begin with, if his question to Jesus is anything to go by, when Nicodemus wondered about being born again- he thought it was a physical act. All we do know is that Nicodemus tried to defend Jesus when there was a discussion with other Jewish authorities (John 7:51). In addition Nicodemus involved himself in preparing Jesus body for burial (John 19:14). The IVP New Testament Commentary Series InterVarsity Press.(p16) suggests that Joseph and Nicodemus would have put their lives at considerable risk, when they asked the Romans for Jesus body. According to this publication the Romans may have released the body to family but hardly ever to strangers. The Romans often left bodies to rot, while hanging on the cross.

What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the kingdom of God?

Nicodemus is looking at everything through the eyes of the flesh and Jesus is opening his eyes to the spiritual nature of the kingdom of God.

First the Kingdom of God is spiritually discerned meaning God alone can enable you to see it because it is discerned spiritually.

Second the kingdom of God is spiritually entered meaning we only inherit eternal life if we are changed spiritually which is only through the illumination by the Holy Spirit.

At this time I don't think Nicodemus understands however he does have an open mind and recognizes that there is more than he understands.  And I believe the pharisees thought for the most part that they knew everything.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God?

Jesus was teaching that the Kingdom of God is not a geographical place, but a spiritual transformation which must be received by an act of the will....a mystery...Christ in us the hope of Glory!

Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

No, not at first, even after a whole "chapter" of explanation he couldn't get his mind wrapped around the concept of grace....as he was a teacher of the law and it's outward conformity. But he was a seeker, and Jesus' arms were always open to these...I believe he "got it", or he wouldn't have gone to seek His body for burial after the crucifixion. But how could he understand? Jesus' disciples didn't understand either...they deserted him in confusion even after he explained on many occasions that he would die in order for them to live...I believe Nicodemus was "in the front row" at Pentecost to receive the gift of Salvation, and the Holy Spirit.

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God?

The Kingdom the Messiah was speaking of is a “Spiritual Kingdom” that comes through the purification of water, that of repentance, the teaching of John the Baptist, a symbol of putting away of the filth of sin, however, Jesus is teaching, it is far more than just the outward cleansing, It is the inward cleansing, the circumcision of the heart that brings forth the presence of the Holy Spirit and a “New Life Begins”.

The Jewish people were looking for the “Political Kingdom” that the promised Messiah would bring, this was a mystery they did not fully understand – They were looking for the King of Kings to come and sit on the throne of David, not understanding that the first work of the Messiah would be that of the “Lamb of God”. 

Q. Do you think Nicodemus understands him?

I believe Nicodemus who came face to face with the Messiah did come to understand what Jesus was teaching him as Jesus dealt with him at his need, which was to be born from above. 

Q. Why or why not?

Many teachings on Nicodemus are that of a negative nature, one being because he came at night, and that Jesus had to rebuke him for not knowing the answer to a question he asked, however, I see Nicodemus differently, I see a man who believed not in the miracles, but a man who placed his faith in “Him” - the One who did the miracles, he believed Jesus came from God, he knew that no one could do these miracles only if God was with him, his words speak to me of “faith” and when “faith” is lit in the heart of man, as it was in the heart of Nicodemus, you become hungry to hear more, therefore, no matter what time of day, or obstacles that Nicodemus felt were in his way, he did “GO” and seek Jesus out, he was hungry to hear more from the Rabbi, the title Nicodemus used when he addressed Jesus meant more than just “teacher” it meant “Master” a title of great respect and only given to a few – I believe it was Nicodemus faith and the drawing of the Holy Spirit that brought Nicodemus to seek Jesus out and to enquire of him, and as the word teaches us, “If you seek God with all your heart, you will find Him” – I believe Nicodemus was doing just that.

The Holy Spirit is able to turn a timid Nicodemus into a man of strength, a man who will stand up against his peers as Nicodemus did when he defended his Savior before the Sanhedrin, John 7:45-52;

After Joseph of Arimathaea, a disciple of Jesus, who secretly for fear of the Jews, sought Pilate that he might take Jesus body away, we see Nicodemus, which at first came to Jesus by night, bringing myrrh and aloes, and they wrapped the body in linen clothes that had spices, and they laid him in a new sepulcher, these to me are signs of great love and devotion, that of a true “born again” believer.

There have been times that I too have had times of timidity, when in my heart I want so to be brave for Him, I find the more I rely on the leading of the Holy Spirit and I feed on God’s Word, the stronger I become, I know how important it is that I not only feed on God’s Word, but that I follow after its teachings for I can hear that small voice in my ear saying, “If you love me, keep my Commandments”

One cannot even see or discern the Kingdom of God unless one is born again. That is, one cannot be in a place where God is in charge in our life unless we make radical changes in our life as to who is ruler - God or our self. Jesus further clarifies that one cannot enter this Kingdom unless they are born of water and the Spirit. The water, I believe, refers to a cleansing  or purification ,ie, getting rid of sin - that is, repentance. But more, the Holy Spirit is involved and is necessary.

Nicodemus was a partial believer. He believed the miracles where signs from God. But from this exchange of Jesus and Nicodemus, it is clear that his belief was an insufficient belief. Nicodemus is an example of the those who believed but Jesus did not entrust himself to them ( John 2:23,24). Jesus was teaching Nicodemus and us that our faith has to be more that a belief about what Jesus did - although this knowledge is important. Jesus is teaching us that a radical change is needed and that our faith has to be in the Person of Jesus Christ. This can only be accomplished by the work of the Hoy Spirit.

What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God?

1.  You cannot enter the Kingdom of God unless you are born again.  Jesus was talking about a spiritual rebirth. 

Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?    

2.  I do not think Nicodemus understood what Jesus was saying because he asked Jesus what did he mean and how could a old man enter into his mother's womb and be born again. 

Jesus is teaching that the Kingdom of God is not of this world, at least not yet. The kingdom of God can only be entered by someone who is enabled by God to be born of water (baptism) and of the Spirit (hearing and believing by the grace of God that the Son of God came to die for their sins). It's not a physical kingdom that has boundaries and a pollitical system.

Do you think Nicodemus understands him?

I don't reckon he does, at first. Unfortunately the entire conversation hasn't been preserved in John's Gospel. I'll never believe that Jesus only said to Nicodemus what is recorded in the Bible text and then Nicodemus just wandered away. He'd come seeking answers to questions that were burning in his mind. Such a learned man wouldn't have left it at that. He would definitely have sought further clarification.

What a conversation they must have had and what a pity it hasn't been preserved.

Why or why not?

Nicodemus was a very well educated man and knew the Scriptures inside out. Jesus' teaching would initially not make much sense to him, as we see in the text. Jesus probably went into greater detail, as much as He knew Nicodemus could accept at that time, THEN Nicodemus went his way, thinking deeply on the things Jesus had taught him. Eventually he did become a follower of Jesus, as we read later on.

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

Jesus teaches that the Kingdom of God can only be had by rebirth, being born again of the spirit. That those that the Father has chosen are given to belief in Christ.

I think perhaps Nicodemus may had a hard time understanding of Jesus explaining the Kingdom of Heaven and being born again. He was a teacher of the law, but some how missed the prophecy of the messiah. He knew Jesus had authority like no other prophet in history had. He knew that something was different about Jesus. We do know that he helped in the burying of Jesus, so possibly he could have become a true believer after the resurrection of Christ.         

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) 

Do you think Nicodemus understands Him? 

Why or why not? 

The Kingdom of God that Jesus is talking about here is the spiritual kingdom. A kingdom occupied by all who have been born again and now live under God’s rule. I doubt Nicodemus understood Jesus. Being a devout Jew, he most probably assumed that his place in the coming kingdom was assured, by virtue of his nationality and circumcision. However, I do think that he came to Jesus in an honest attempt to find out who Jesus really was. But Jesus turns Nicodemus’s thinking upside down. Jesus tells him that in order to enter this kingdom he must be born again. This totally confuses Nicodemus who misunderstands what Jesus is saying as he takes everything literally. Here we see that natural man cannot understand the things of the Spirit of God, as they are foolishness to him (1 Cor 2:14). 

Jesus teaches that no one can enter the kingdom of God (have eternal life) unless he is born again (enabled by God)

Nicodemus does not understand the new concept because he thinks of being born again in terms of biological birth but this is a spiritual issue involving the Spirit of God.  

Jesus teaches that it is hard to enter the Kingdom of God and can only be done through spiritual means.  I interpret this as through baptism in water and the Holy Spirit. 

I think that the miracles that Nicodemus saw were a revelation to him, which is why he wanted to talk to Jesus.  I think that Nicodemus did not understand at first, but he persisted as he truly believed that the miracles were from God.  If at that early stage he had been put off and ceased to believe that they were the work of God, he might well have joined the rest of the Pharisees in their condemnation.  His understanding must have grown, otherwise he would not have remained faithful to the end of Jesus’ ministry and stuck his neck out for him to the Pharisees.

(John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not? 

The nature of the Kingdom of God:

1. The Kingdom is spiritually discerned, that is, you can't see it or grasp it spiritually unless you are "born

from above," unless God enables you to see it. 

2. The Kingdom is spiritually entered, that is, you can't enter into the Kingdom, which is a synonym for inheriting eternal life, unless you are changed spiritually.

The Kingdom of God is hidden from unbelievers. Unbelievers can see that the Kingdom might be present from the signs or miracles that result, and this may cause them, like Nicodemus, to search further. But unaided, they can't see or discern the Kingdom, much less enter it. It is God's prerogative to reveal. We are blind, unless God graciously rescues us, saves us.

I think Nicodemus didn't quite understand the nature of the Kingdom of God as he thought that Jesus was referring to a physical re-birth but instead Jesus was referring to a spiritual re-birth.

Jesus taught that the kingdom of God is not physical in nature but it is spiritual.  The kingdom of God is seen by those born of the Spirit, the second birth.  At first Nicodemus understood "to be born again" was to enter once again in the mother's womb.  After Jesus’ teaching, Nicodemus understood that the kingdom of God is spiritually discerned and can only be entered into spiritually.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus taught that to enter into the Kingdom of God you have to be born again. Being born again is being born spiritually. You have to give your life to the Lord. After the rebirth into the Kingdom you will want to give your all to Jesus.

I don't think Nicodemus understood at this talk with Jesus but on over in this book of John he did and gave his life to him.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Jesus is teaching us that the nature of the Kingdom of God is spirit. We cannot go up to the kingdom in these body we must be born again in the Spirit. I don’t think that Nicodemus understood him because of the question he asked Jesus about returning to the womb and being born physically again.

• 4 weeks later...

Does this sound like the sovereignty of God and predestination? Yes, that is what it is. But as we'll see shortly, there is something that man can and must do to prepare himself to receive the gift.

This is an amazing part of this study; our teacher Dr Ralph speaks of predestination. And yet is not God knowing all, is He not the one who is unlimited, where time doesn't  impact people coming to Him. It is His plan, His will, His time, His revealing. God determines everything; when we surrender, we truly become His clay, to be molded at HIs speed, not mine or yours, His speed. 

Clearly Nicodemus is coming to believe, just a s we do, in dozens of steps, stages, that hopefully continue to evolve. This can only happen as we study more the Bible, hear his word in church, seek Him in prayer and meditation.

Q1. (John 3:3, 5)

Jesus is teaching that God through the Holy Spirit even before the beginning of this world he has chosen you to know and understand the spiritual Kingdom of God. And that you will entered it because you are born again. The spirit of the Lord is with you, the spiritual Kingdom. That is Nicodemus is missing before. He studied the old testament word of God but he don't have the Holy Spirit yet. God have mercy on the soul of Nicodemus and gave him a gift of The Holy Spirit, the salvation, being born again.

Do you think Nicodemus understands him?

At first Nicodemus can't understand him, but eventually he did understand. He is predestinated to be saved.

Why or why not?

Why? Nicodemus thought of physical born again, or getting back on a mothers womb. Then Jesus explained to him about the spiritual Kingdom and being change spiritually. Thats the Sovereignty of God to choose whom he pleased that will glorify him.

• 2 weeks later...

The Kingdom of God is not physical, but spiritual. It cannot be seen by the eye, but must be seen through the eyes of faith.

Do you think that Nicodemus understands him?

No!  I do not, but Nicodemus was only thinking along the lines of what can be seen with the eyes.

Why or why not?

Nicodemus knew the Law and could not see where "being born again" fit the words of God.

What Jesus teaches about the Kingdom of God is, it is spiritually discerned. You can't see it or grasp it unless you are born again and God enables you to see it.

I don't think Nicodemus understood Jesus when He was explaining about the Kingdom of God.

Nicodemus thought one had to be reborn physically in order to enter the Kingdom.

• 2 months later...

The Kingdom of God is a spiritually uplifting place where only believers will be allowed to live. It is the reward for our salvation. It is the ultimate blessing. I believe that Nicodemus really did understand Jesus. I think that Nicodemus was looking for spiritual refirmation. He needed to have the blessing and grace from Jesus. He had the need ot know that there was more to the teachings and laws than what he dealt with on a daily basis.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q1.  (John 3:3, 5)  What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

1. The Hebrews believed that the Messiah would appear, retake the throne of David and drive the Romans out.  Jesus taught that the kingdom that He spoke about was not a physical, earthly kingdom but rather a spiritual one without any physical boundaries.  2) No, I don’t believe he understood at all.  Although Nicodemus was a great teacher who knew “about” God, I don’t believe he actually knew God in a literal sense.  That’s why Jesus told him that those who are outside the kingdom of God can’t understand things concerning the kingdom.   Jesus reiterated this when he said; “You are Israel’s teacher, and do you not understand these things?“I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?