JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Rejoicing in Another's Success

Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus’ success? Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry – in your church or in your community or in your denomination? Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other?

• 1 month later...

Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus’ success?

John knew he had fulfilled his destiny...that of preparing the way for Jesus, who was now "increasing" while John "decreased."

Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry – in your church or in your community or in your denomination?

I do! We're all on the same team.....like John, for JESUS to increase, and for all to come to HIM. There are to be no "stars"..only Jesus should shine.

Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other?

Fallen human nature. Insecurity and pride stemming from perhaps feeling invisible, insignificant, not good enough, with unhealed wounds from the past....wanting to "win", to "be the biggest and best".....to fill a hole in their souls which only the love of Jesus can fill.

Hello,

When We are servants! We are not in competition. We must be happy with the success of others.
It doesn't matter the position, We always are going to be servants, just Jesus is the name above all names.

Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus’ success?

There is much joy to be had in success, especially when John knew what God wanted him to do. He was successful because he did God's will and put himself last. See also Luke 10:17.

Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry

First of all, its not my ministry. Im pretty sure that John the Baptist would not have seen the work that he was doing, as his work. When the Jews asked him "..what do you say about your self", he answered, "... I am the voice of the one crying in the willderness, make straight the way of the Lord".

Without trying to sound sanctimonius, yes I would find joy in others success, now. In the past when I was younger perhaps not so much.

A few years ago I became friends with a chap in my town, a person who some would describe as 'down and out' I suppose. I spent hours visiting him and talking with him and helped him out in practical ways, as much as I could. I told him the gospel and invited him along to our church, he came once and didn't come back. He then got talking with people who belonged to another church in the town, they asked him to their church, he went and enjoyed it and is now going along most Sundays. I wasn't upset but I am joyful that he is going to bible believing church. Even though he has been having a bad run of health, he is a much happier chap now. I believe that reaching people for God as team work (1 Corinthians 3:6).

In your church or in your community or in your denomination? Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other?

I hope that this would not be the case. Perhaps I am being naive in thinking that it would not happen. When it did, you would have to call it pride (James 4:10,

1 Peter 5:5,6). The work would be for nought, it would be like building your house on the sand or using hay of straw to build a house, (Matt 7:26, 1 Corinthians 3:11-13).

How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus’ success? Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry – in your church or in your community or in your denomination?

1.  John the Baptist find joy in Jesus' success because he recognized himself as a forerunner of Jesus and it was not about him, but about Jesus.  Jesus is now the focus point.  I do find joy in the success of others in their ministries.  I recognized when other ministries look good it makes my ministry look good.

2.  Unfortunately, some pastors are more concerned about material things and status instead of the people of God.  Jealously can be a deadly killer.

Q3. (John 3:29) 

How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus' success? 

Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry - in your church or in your community or in your denomination? 

John finds joy in Jesus’ growing success, and illustrates this by comparing himself to the best-man at a wedding. This is a good illustration as the most significant emphasis of Jewish weddings was joy. We also note that even before his birth, John the Baptist rejoiced in the Lord. “As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy (Luke 1:44).” He points out that Christ is the bridegroom and His people are the bride. The bride is the church, the elect, the people of God; and they belong to the bridegroom. The bride, then, must be brought to the bridegroom, and this is exactly what John has been doing – constantly pointing to our Saviour, hoping that many will take note and follow Jesus. John states that his role was to make the preliminary arrangements for the ceremony, and that the best-man is not jealous and envious of the bridegroom, but rather as a true friend loves the bridegroom and rejoices in His happiness. So, John was content to be the voice announcing Jesus to be the Word (John 1:23). Jesus was the Light, and John the Baptist was the witness pointing to the Light (John 1:6-8). We are all one in Christ. Therefore, I rejoice in anything that glorifies His name. There are pastors who measure their success by the size of their congregation and the income their church generates. I don’t think there are any bad intentions in it. What does disturb me are the false teachers who make millions out of religion. I feel for their followers who have no power of discernment and are being milked and led astray. 

Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus’ success? Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry – in your church or in your community or in your denomination? Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other?

John the baptist finds that he is the forerunner of the messiah, not the messiah himself. He is joyed in that Christ ministry is increasing while his is decreasing.

If the competing church of ours was increasing and ours decreasing would be great if they truly were preaching the word of the Lord and disciplining was successful. However, we do not want our congregation to shrink too much, because we are teaching the word of God also. Perhaps a younger generation needs to carry the Light for us, most are middle to upper aged congregants.

Some pastors may compete in one another especially in the ministry of prosperity, which I do not approve of this type of message. We are all the same in the body of Christ, there really should b no competition between churches. Some churches may be in an area that has lots of younger people and most churches try to create programs that would influence this younger bunch to come to church.     

John the Baptist finds joy in Jesus’s success because it is the fulfilment of his own mission.  As mentioned in my previous answer, I am not in the position of a minister so there is no competition.  I think if pastors compete with each other it is a sure sign that they are false shepherds with their eyes of the things of this world, not the next.

(John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus’ success? Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry – in your church or in your community or in your denomination? Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other? 

John the Baptist finds joy in Jesus' success because he knows and accepts that he is only the fore-runner and one greater than he, one whose sandals he (John) is unworthy to tie, will come after him. It is humility and this contentment in knowing and accepting his purpose in life that directs John's life.

Churches and ministries are made up of humans. Since the days of Adam and Eve, man has always been competitive - to be the best, to be the greatest, to be the richest, to have the largest gathering, etc. It is this spirit of competition, which in itself is not bad, but when directed at the Church and ministries, misalign and misuse God's word. And so, instead of preaching God's word, pastors preach messages which congregations want to hear. This will ultimately lead to a large congregation and give the impression of success.

Let's face it, not many people want to go to Church on a Sunday to be told that they are sinners and their righteousness are like filthy rags! 

John the B. finds joy in doing a job well. He was given the task and privilege of being a servant of the King. He knows he will receive the praise of the Father " Well done - my faithful servant." This brings much joy.

Why do any of us compete? Well, its is our sinful nature for sure. We are, as born again Christians redeemed sinners. But we are not yet perfect. It seems too easy to slip into the notion that we have to contribute to our salvation. We have to remind ourselves that we are saved by grace through faith and not from ourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works so that no one can boast. Eph 2: 8-9.

We should be over joyed when anyone is saved because this brings glory to God - all heaven rejoices.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus' success? Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry -- in your church or in your community or in your denomination? Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other?

John the Baptist jumped for joy in the womb of his mother when he felt the presence of the fetal Jesus near him. This is amazing, yet for God it is also another teaching of how important Jesus is. 

John knew Jesus was the Savior of the world, and that he was crying of of the wilderness to prepare for Jesus coming. I guess I'm mature, and don't feel there is any competition going on, and that is not how I would be measured by God or my savior.I have been slow to become deeper trusting. I need to focus on asking for more willingness to surrender more deeply to my savior. 

Pastors can be take  by the devil just like any other person, and can cause members to change churches.We must accept that this is possible beyond our influence and pray for such men who are sinners like us. Its not a big deal, we have the privilige to pray for them and must thank God to put it on our hearts.

John the Baptist find joy in Jesus’ success as he hears that Jesus' ministry is successful, He' reaching people, He is increasing.  John sees his mission to prepare the people as a forerunner coming to a close.  The success of others who are doing what God has called them to do is a blessing.  When people compete without the anointing to do so they err and their work is not successful.  Some pastors compete with others because they see the work that they are doing in the flesh.  They do not walk and submit themselves to the leading of the Spirit of God.

John had no jealousy at all toward Jesus ministry he was called to prepare the way to Jesus. 

I find joy anytime some is going strong in their ministry. If it does anything to me its to make me work harder.

I think each pastor thinks their way is the best way.What they   should do is work together. They are where their at because God called them.  They should always remember their job is to lead the congregation

and lead people to the Lord.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus' success? Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry -- in your church or in your community or in your denomination? Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other?

As a forerunner, John was happy to hear Jesus already baptising people as he anticipated.

Yes but there are times I struggle with a tinge of jealousy.

Pastors [some] are ,ore interested in the large congregation that will give them large offerings and tithes hence the competition.

John knew that he was just the forerunner to our Savior therefore to see that Jesus is successful would give him great joy. I do find joy in the success of others who are ministering to others. I don’t see it as competing with my ministry I just see it as accompanying my ministry. God has put us on the earth for a purpose and as long as I am fulfilling my purpose I feel great. I guess that some pastors seem to complete with each other is because they don’t understand their mission on earth.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (John 3:29)

How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus’ success?

"I find fulfillment in the bridegroom's joy." By hearing the voice of the bridegroom John is fulfilled enough.

Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry – in your church or in your community or in your denomination?

My joy is when that others are being used by God as a tool in converting many to Christianity.

Many pastors are just using Christ for their own profit.

• 3 weeks later...

John the Baptist finds joy in Jesus' success by regconizing that his ministry is coming to an end while Jesus' ministry is just beginning. He realizes that he is just the friend of the Bridegroom while Jesus is the actual Bridegroom.

I think some pastors seem to compete with one another because they care more about having a large church membership then they are sharing the gospel.

• 3 weeks later...

3:29 "He who has the bride is the bridegroom" It is striking that this marriage was describing the relationship between God and Israel ( Isa. 54:5; 62:4,5; Jer. 2:2; 3:20; Ezek. 16:8; 23:4; Hos. 2:21). Paul also uses it in Eph. 5:22 that Christian marriage may be the best modern example of a covenant relationship of God and man.

▣ "So this joy of mine has been made full" Instead of having a competitive spirit, John the Baptist obviously recognized his place and rejoiced in Jesus.

• 2 months later...

John the Baptist realizes that he has done his job well. He has started to open the hearts of men to a new way of life. He has helped people to face the reality of life as it was versus what life can be. I love to watch people shine. I love to see them open up and blossom into who they are to be. I feel that pastors get on an ego trip at times. They need to feel the adrenalin of competition. They need to have a reason to continue to grow and push themselves to higher limits.

• 1 month later...

John is pleased w/ Jesus's success, it's as it should be.

Yes, I am pleased with other's ministry success, The success is not mine, it's the Holy Spirit that is successful.

RE: pastors competing with each other, I ponder the question whose gain are they working for God's or their own? Unfortunately, it reflects that they are only for their own gain. 

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus' success?  Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry -- in your church or in your community or in your denomination?  Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other?

1) Jesus’ ministry fulfilled God's will for John’s life.  His own words are a clear indication that he was quite comfortable in his role and thankful for God's blessings. The fact that Jesus had finally revealed himself as the Messiah sent by God validated his life’s work and I can definitely see where there would be a huge measure of joy in that.  2) Yes I do.  Seeing others grow in Christ Jesus and in their own faith is the most rewarding thing that I can imagine.  3) Insecurity.  At times, our own personal insecurities manifest themselves through competition.  Competition isn’t necessarily a bad thing but when churches or preachers resort to “one-upmanship” it’s then that this seemingly innocent competitiveness spawns jealousy, more insecurity and mean-spiritedness.

• 6 months later...

John the Baptist knew his purpose and role as the forerunner who was to call the people of Israel to prepare themselves with repentance for the revealing of the Lamb of God (John 1:29-31). He never sought acclaim or fame for himself, but humbly equated his role to that of the bridegroom's friend. He made preparations and oversaw details for the wedding day, but he the celebration was not about him. His joy and satisfaction was in making sure everything was ready when the groom arrived.

I do find joy in seeing others find success in their ministry, although I will admit that I've had to grow into that. It's entirely human and tempting to be jealous. But I try to remember something I heard long ago from an unremembered source. When you see God pouring out blessing on another believer, be grateful and give praise because that means He is in the house! Remember that you don't know what the “success” has cost that servant. What He's done for others, He will do for you in just the right way when you have submitted all.

Even in my own church now I struggle with a difference between what I hear and what I see. Our pastor will often say “if God ever takes His hand off this church we would sink like a rock”. But then he constantly brags on accomplishments and numbers, behind the veil of humility. He admonishes that we are indebted to “this” or implies we should be ashamed if we don't do “that”. Anyone who disappoints him or disagrees in any way with his plans is intentionally and patiently (though very subtly) squeezed out and shunned. At the heart of that I see an insecurity that drives a need for control and pride that feeds the desire for an impressive public image. For all of us, it takes more than just saying the right words.

• 1 year later...

If I get caught up in "doing" without keeping my main focus on Jesus I can easily slip into a wrong frame of mind. Often I have  to seek the Lord, am I really hearing and doing what God wants me to do, then I can leave all the rest to Him.

It must be hard for many pastors when they see some churches rapidly increase (often because only the "easy" parts of the scriptures are preached) I sense it can be easy for them to feel discouraged particularly when their congregation stays small in numbers. I have a real prayer burden for them.

• 10 months later...

John the Baptist is the one that is clearing the way for Jesus and therefore whenever Jesus has success then John is proud of him. He knows that he has helped Him. I do find joy is the success of others in their ministry. I know at that times I have been able to help them and always find fulfillment in what they do. I think that sometimes pastors compete with others is because they don’t seem secure in what they are doing and they think that there success is built on the size of their congregation.

• 7 months later...

Q3. (John 3:29) How does John the Baptist find joy in Jesus' success? Do you find joy in the success of others who could be seen as competing with your ministry -- in your church or in your community or in your denomination? Why do you think some pastors seem to compete with each other?

He knows that Jesus is the bridegroom and he also knows that the work of the bridegroom is being done for the purpose of Heaven itself. Yes. I do and I realize that I can’t be jealous of other’s success who are working in the church  or community either. For they all are working for Christ. They want to be seen as the best pastors in the world.