JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Believers' Motives

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (John 6:26-27) Why were some of these “believers” following Jesus?

Some had seen the signs and miracles of Jesus but He said they were following Him because He had fed them the loaves and fishes and were filled and satisfied.

What were their selfish motives?

To be taken care of materially without partaking of Him as their True Bread ...Eternal Life. They could quit working and let Him supply their temporal needs, without committing to follow Him. Jesus told them: The work that God asks of you: That you BELIEVE in the One Whom He (the Father) has sent.

For what motives do true disciples seek Jesus?

True disciples seek Him for Spiritual nourishment...Eternal life, forgiveness and cleansing from sin, daily fellowship, renewed minds, the Fruit of the Spirit..the infilling of the Holy Spirit, and so much more.....and His promise is to provide our daily bread and needs because we now belong to Him and put Him first in our lives.

(John 6:26-27) Why were some of these “believers” following Jesus? What were their selfish motives? For what motives do true disciples seek Jesus? 

Some of the believers were following Jesus to satisfy their physical need i.e. hunger. Jesus answered them and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. (John 6:26)

This is not exactly wrong as Paul writes - "However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual." (1 Corinthians 15:46)

Nevertheless, true disciples seek Jesus to quench their spiritual hunger and give them Life. As Jesus said, "Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval." (John 6:27)

Q1. (John 6:26-27) Why were some of these “believers” following Jesus? What were their selfish motives? For what motives do true disciples seek Jesus?

​Some were following Jesus for what they could get out of Him i.e. a free meal.

​Their motives were for themselves, to satisfy themselves, me, myself and I.

True disciples will seek Jesus because they love Him, want to know Him, be like Him, to spend time with Him, to give Him praise, to ponder His every word.

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

It seems that Jesus was rebuffing some of his followers for their superficial attraction to him. They were seeking a super-hero to take care of their physical needs only. Jesus is teaching them that there is more. The miracles were meant to attract them to him. Jesus is setting the stage for his radical teaching that they need so much more; they need a food that will last forever and a food that will satisfy their deepest needs. They need him.  

The core of our motive for following Jesus is our heartfelt need to get right with God. We have to realize our brokenness. We have to repent and accept his offer of himself. We have to receive and believe in him.

1. Some of the follower and I call them followers to seek their own agenda. food and anything to could get for their own use. A true believer don't do that. 

2. A true believer follows Jesus because of his love for us. His dying on the cross for us and for the opportunity to be able to go to him with anything at anytime.  We can go to his words in the Bible for comfort at anytime.

Q1. (John 6:26-27) Why were some of these "believers" following Jesus? What were their selfish motives? For what motives do true disciples seek Jesus?

Because they were fed with the loaf and fish

They were just concerned about their physical needs rather than the giver of the physical needs

True disciples should be interested in the Master, the giver of living bread, for eternal life.

Q1. (John 6:26-27) Why were some of these “believers” following Jesus? What were their selfish motives?

These "temporary" followers had been fed in a miraculous way and were probably wanting to see Jesus perform another miracle. They were baffled at His disappearance as well. They'd wittnessed and partaken in something so extraordinary that their minds just couldn't grasp it fully.

They were also perhaps wanting another free meal.

True disciples seek Jesus to hear the words that lead to eternal life, to quote Peter. In another passage many disciples left Jesus because His teachings were "too hard". When Jesus saw Peter hadn't left, He asked him why he'd stuck around. Peter replied: Where else can I go? You have the words of eternal life!

Q1. (John 6:26-27) Why were some of these “believers” following Jesus? What were their selfish motives? For what motives do true disciples seek Jesus?

Hi all,

It appears that some were seeking Jesus because their physical needs were meet on the mountain. Most "believers" probably have selfish motives, from what I have observed in others and in myself.

This reminds me of 'The rich ruler' who walked away from Jesus because he couldn't (didn't want to) do what Jesus asked of him.

Why were some of these “believers” following Jesus?

1.  Some of the people were following Jesus for the physical and temporal benefits.

2.  Their selfish motives were they wanted to be with Jesus because He fed them. 

3.  True disciples seek Jesus because He is the way to eternal life.

Many of these people merely believed in Jesus as a miracle-worker who could magically produce food to meet their physical needs.  This was a superficial, misdirected belief.  They were looking to Him to stop the hunger pangs in their bellies and make their lives more comfortable.  It seems He wasn’t much more than an amazing side show to them.  They were missing the primary point of the miracle, that Jesus was indeed the promised Messiah, the divine Son of God.

In comparison, a true disciple of Jesus seeks Him as the One who provides for a need far deeper than the temporal one of hunger and physical sustenance, a need that transcends the life of a bodily existence.  A person who recognizes and confesses that Jesus is God’s approved and anointed Son seeks Him as the One who provides the sustenance required for the spiritual life that endures into eternity.  Christ is the only Way!

Q1. (John 6:26-27) Why were some of these "believers" following Jesus?   Many of the followers were conscious only of their own physical needs.

What were their selfish motives? Motives become selfish when it is placed only on “ME” and my physical needs, this hinders what the Messiah came to do, and to awaken mans consciousness of God.

For what motives do true disciples seek Jesus? A true disciple is one who reaches out in faith, a seeker of truth.

Why were some of these "believers" following Jesus?

Some of the people who were fed, followed after Jesus because they wanted more food to fill their physical needs.

Jesus had just blessed the two fish and five loaves of bread to feed the five thousand men, but the next day they were looking for Jesus to give them more free food.  They were hungry again! 

True believers seek Jesus because they can see the spiritual side of Jesus' miracles and know that they need to change their spiritual nature in following Jesus.

Q1. (John 6:26-27) 

Most of those following Jesus was because they saw an easy way to be fed – with free hand-outs. They were so obsessed with the material world that they failed to see the true blessing Jesus was offering them. They saw miraculous signs but failed to understand what it signified - that He was the Creator and the Messiah. He was trying to teach them that “man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God” (Matt 4:4). They had not yet learned that satisfying one’s physical appetite is not the most important thing in life. We consist not only of body, but of spirit and soul as well, so we should make sure that our soul is fed day by day with the Word of God. Physical food is short-lived but spiritual food leads to eternal life. 

People were following Jesus for worldly reasons such as physical healing, or the hope of freeing Palestine from the Romans.  True disciples seek Jesus to follow the way of life that he demonstrated by his actions because they recognised that he was the Son of God and wanted to obey him.

Q1. (John 6:26-27) Why were some of these "believers" following Jesus? What were their selfish motives? For what motives do true disciples seek Jesus?

True believers seek to hear God's will, have faith, and obey His will.

These early followers could perhaps see the miracles, but He did it so easily it was perhaps not in their heart to believe it deeply and consistently. It was easier to simply take what he gave them in the moment, and keep their old ways shortly afterwards

Some of the people who were fed from the crowd of 5,000 followed Jesus because they were poo and hungry no doubt. Jesus knew they were following Him for His healing's and the things they could get from Him. Surely they wanted Him to feed them again.

Their motives were indeed selfish, looking for or desiring what Jesus could give them physically.

True believers follow Jesus for the spiritual food which he gives them, eternal life for those who seek him     

Many of the believers were amazed with the miracles that Jesus did but they were also physically hungry and wanted to be fed again.   Jesus wanted to teach them about spiritual food vs natural food and the difference that spiritual food feeds the spirit and endures forever while natural food is short lived .  The true believer seeks the bread of life that satisfy spiritual hunger forever and living water that quenches thirst eternally.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (John 6:26-27)

Why were some of these “believers” following Jesus?

They are only following Jesus for their own physical needs.

"Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill.'" (6:26)6)

Just to be filled physically and only about this present situation and not thinking about the journey to the eternal life.

As we'll see, their motives for pursuing Jesus weren't out of spiritual hunger, so much as physical hunger -- Jesus as a means to feed them physically.

A true disciples motives is to be fed spiritually by the real manna or bread of life.

• 2 weeks later...

The crowd was following Jesus for their physical hunger. I suppose that their daily needs and desire for freedom from oppression overwhelmed any deeper kind of response to Jesus's miraculous multiplication of bread from the other day. I, too, suffer from the mentality that the crowd had. Often, I hunger for Guidance (someone to constantly tell me what to do so I am not responsible for my own mistakes, thus freeing me from a kind of anxiety), and perhaps if I had been one of the crowd on that day I would have also tried to compel Him to be King and try to get Him to feed me every day and fill my ears with something to distract me from the pain or mundaneness of life. How sad it truly is, that this is present in the human heart often, especially when not strengthened enough spiritually to forget your own needs and go for Love to follow what He would do.

Jesus criticized the people who followed him only for the physical and temporal benefits and not for the satisfying of their spiritual hunger. Many people use religion to gain prestige, comfort, or even political votes. But those are self-centered motives.

True believers follow Jesus simply because they know he has the truth and his way is the way to live.

• 3 months later...

These believers were possibly the type of people that love a good show. It could be compared to going to a circus and watching a magician. Others were there to see what Jesus could do for them. They might want him to do his magic on them.

True disciples will seek Jesus to have their souls filled with a special type of seed. They will want to hear all he has to say. They need to hear all of his words. They want a new type of life that only he can offer. They want to know the Father and they want to live the life that God wants them to live.

• 1 month later...

(John 6:26-27) Why were some of these "believers" following Jesus?  What were their selfish motives?  For what motives do true disciples seek Jesus?

They were hungry and believed that Jesus would feed them.  2) Their motives should have been based in faith because His miracles led them to Him spiritually.  Their “selfish” motives were simply wanting Him to attend to their physical needs.  3) A true believer (disciple) should seek Jesus because of a hunger and thirst to serve Him.  “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.”  (Matt. 5:6)

(John 6:26-27) Why were some of these "believers" following Jesus?  What were their selfish motives?  For what motives do true disciples seek Jesus?

They were hungry and believed that Jesus would feed them.  2) Their motives should have been based in faith because His miracles led them to Him spiritually.  Their “selfish” motives were simply wanting Him to attend to their physical needs.  3) A true believer (disciple) should seek Jesus because of a hunger and thirst to serve Him.  “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.”  (Matt. 5:6)

• 2 months later...

They saw Jesus as someone who might satisfy their immediate and temporary needs. Their seeking him was shallow in the sense of remaining only in the realm of the physical and temporary plane (earthly). They missed the spiritual truth because of their physical reality. It's true, some may have been selfish in the sense that they wanted Jesus only for what they might gain. But perhaps some were not really selfish - maybe they had an actual and legitimate physical need (for example, real hunger) and saw Jesus as a way to fulfill that hunger. That doesn't necessarily make you selfish. I mean when I'm starving and see a lonely McDonalds glimmering in the distance - you can be sure I will head in for a burger. I don't know if that automatically makes me selfish. But whether selfish or not, most of them missed the point of the miracle entirely. They missed the fact that here standing before them was the very Word of God personified, the one all the prophets of Israel spoke of. Here was the gift of eternal salvation and the fulfillment of God's Law - Jesus - the answer to true joy, peace, and eternal settlement - and they didn't know it, never comprehended it, and apparently couldn't see it. They were too earthly minded to recognize the spiritual truth before them. The miracle of the 5000 certainly was a 'miracle of compassion', but much more so a 'miracle of revelation' - a revealing of who Jesus really was. The question I'm left with is: do I do the same thing today? Am I so caught up in my life here on earth, my problems, my setbacks, my disappointments, my striving, my dreams, my goals, -- that I hardly give Jesus a second thought - until I really need him only when things go wrong. Or am i looking to Him every day, casting all to Him, resting in His presence, and learning to go by the way of trust. That is what He really wants, and I believe the mark of a true disciple.