JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Methods of Healing

• 1 month later...

I feel certain Jesus ministered healing in these seemingly random ways with defined purpose in each situation.  We don’t know those specific reasons, only the general objective of His earthly life to glorify the Father in doing the works and will of the Father.  His healing miracles were (are) always to the glory of God, with tremendous benefit to the people involved – both physical and spiritual.  The ways He healed reflected His knowledge of the impairment of the body and also the damage to the soul.  And I think people recognized some of His choices in cultural ways we don’t understand.  For example, making a poultice of mud with His saliva was in direct contrast to the eye salves of that day that perhaps had been tried but were useless for this man’s congenital blindness.

Jesus was so in tune with the Father and so utterly dependent on Him that it’s impossible for me to think the individual decisions to heal and the methods used were led by anything other than the Father’s direction.  When we seek to minister to others, this is an important lesson about our need to rely on the Spirit as He communicates the Father’s direction to us.  Only He knows the true need of body and soul, and the accurate remedy and method for healing in each individual situation.

Q2. (John 9:6). Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways?

He was obedient to the guidance of His Rather through the Holy Spirit. Also when Jesus healed the epileptic He said that these kind.d of demons could only be healed through fasting and prayer, thus Jesus knew how to react to different demons or different diseases. As the Son of God He could have used any method but i think He reacted as God directed Him

Our lesson from this is to always seek God. Don't try something because it worked once. Always be in contact with God so that you react though obedience. Else we become robots who just follow rules instead of living in faith.

Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.? How much do you think was at his Father's direction (5:19, 30; 12:49). All

Why is it important to seek God's guidance in how we should minister to a person?

Because God knows the situation completely

Our thoughts see only in part but Had knows the whole picture and thereby can fix the complete problem

Q2. (John 9:6). Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways? Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.?

God is the author of creativity...I think He just delights in not being allowed to be put in a box of expectations. I also think that when the Father chose the different methods for healing, each was tailored to the individual being healed, those around the individual and to reveal the different facets of His Character...for instance "Command" when the sick person wasn't present, that He transcends time and space. Some required an act of obedience to complete the healing, such as "pick up your bed and walk", or go and wash in the pool of Siloam, or go and show yourselves to the priest and you will be made clean, etc. The woman with the issue of blood was healed through simply "taking" her healing by touching His garment, but rather than just letting it pass unnoticed, He stopped and asked "Who touched Me", as healing virtue had left His body. He affirmed her faith, caller her Daughter, and saw that she is remembered in scripture.

How much do you think was at his Father’s direction (5:19, 30; 12:49).

Jesus said earlier, I only do what I see My Father doing....everything Jesus did was through His Father's direction.

Why is it important to seek God’s guidance in how we should minister to a person?

We "are not greater than our Master"....we too must seek direction from our Father as we minister. In praying recently for a woman with breast cancer who had agreed to several abortions long ago in her past, as I was seeking the Lord for wisdom, I heard "Self punishment", and prayed accordingly. That would never have occurred to me on my own.

Q2. (John 9:6). Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways? Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.? How much do you think was at his Father’s direction (5:19, 30; 12:49). Why is it important to seek God’s guidance in how we should minister to a person?

God doesn't work through formulas. If we do this then that and a littile bit of this, the problem is solved. God is almighty and powerful. He is unfathamable-incapable of being fully explored or understood (www.google.com/search?q=unfathomable&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8). Reflected also in His creation.

Perhaps it is guidence, perhaps God uses intuition, knowing what would be the most appropriate way of helping a person in a given situation. Everyone is unique so what might be appropriate for one person may not be appropriate for another.

Q2. (John 9:6).

Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways? Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.? 

Jesus healed in different ways [ laying of hands, command, mud on the eyes etc] depending on the leading of the Father who told him what and how to do it.

How much do you think was at his Father's direction (5:19, 30; 12:49).

I think in all instances, Jesus walked and worked with God in unity.

Why is it important to seek God's guidance in how we should minister to a person?

It is important to always seek and depend on God for wisdom  and power to minister in whatever ministry we are into

(John 9:6). Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways? Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.? How much do you think was at his Father’s direction (5:19, 30; 12:49). Why is it important to seek God’s guidance in how we should minister to a person?

• Jesus healed according to the Father's direction. He listens to the Father and then acts as he is led. It was all at his Father's direction because Jesus has said he does nothing by himself.  It is important to seek God's guidance because it is a fact he will never guide you wrong.  Jesus was the example to follow.  He never did anything without seeking his Father's direction and we should do the same.       

Q2. (John 9:6). Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways? Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.? How much do you think was at his Father’s direction (5:19, 30; 12:49). Why is it important to seek God’s guidance in how we should minister to a person?

It appears Jesus healed in different ways because it was the Father in Heaven who told Him how to proceed in healing certain individuals. Many times He just laid hands on someone, others with demon possession were just ordered to leave the individual.

I think some of the healings which were performed by Jesus just by his authority of being the Son of God. On others it appears he relied on God's command to perform the healing.

It would be very important that as a minister or disciple of Christ, we perhaps should let the Holy Spirit guide us when dealing with a person with infirmities of a particular illness, abnormality or a terminal disease. Perhaps the person needs to repent before receiving a healing.   

(John 9:6). Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways? Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.? How much do you think was at his Father’s direction (5:19, 30; 12:49). Why is it important to seek God’s guidance in how we should minister to a person? 

There is no fixed pattern to Jesus' healing. He listens to the Father and then acts. It is important to seek God's guidance before we minister to a person because God know what the issues are and this would enable us to pray appropriately. Acting on our own, we only see in the physical realm; whereas God sees in the spirit.  

​Why did Jesus heal in different ways?  I don't know except that doing it in different ways caught people unawares and it then involved trust, faith.  Also there was going to be no boasting because the methods Jesus used were rather down to earth, mud, fingers in ears, rather humbling to those who want to boast.  Once God touched me and I awoke spiritually, there was no drama except to me which I can take to my Lord and worship Him for finding me, for touching my heart.  So I think about how the blind man must have felt when Jesus touched his eyes, when he looked back and remembered the touch.  So it is with all of us.  No pat formula.

Everything Jesus did was at the Father's direction and everything we do should be at the Father's direction for His glory.

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q2. (John 9:6). Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways, laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.?

God’s ways are not mans ways; however, they are always the perfect way.

Q3. How much do you think was at his Father's direction (5:19, 30; 12:49)?

The Son came to do the will of the Father; this is why he does nothing of himself, because his desire is to do what the Father taught him.

Q4. Why is it important to seek God's guidance in how we should minister to a person?

The reason it is important is because our delight is in doing the will of God, there is no power in the works of man unless it is directed by God.

Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways? 

Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.? 

How much do you think was at his Father's direction (5:19, 30; 12:49). 

Why is it important to seek God's guidance in how we should minister to a person?

I don’t think it is important what method Jesus used, it is more important for us to believe in Him and then to trust and obey. He must have healed in accordance with each different situation and have taken into account the differences in the people involved. Jesus was linked with God the Father and therefore He did not act on His own. Jesus did have the power to do anything by Himself, since He is one with The Father, and not independent but fully equal with God. Our Lord Jesus clearly intended that the Jews would think of Him as equal with God. So He acted in unison with our Heavenly Father. For this to happen Jesus had to have continual access to the Father and complete knowledge of Divine matters. When Jesus says “by Myself I can do nothing” (5:30), it is His own self-limitation which He took upon Himself when He came down to earth. He came down as a man, not to do His own will but the Father's will. We can of course minister to a person in our own strength, but we would be foolish to do that; how much more powerful it will be if we first seek His guidance, and then act in accordance with the will of God. Believers in fellowship with our Heavenly Father will follow Jesus’ example and not act by ourselves but only in obedience to Him. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea why Jesus healed in different ways.  He is one with the Father, so I don’t think he constantly needed to check how to do things.  I believe he was (and is) capable of healing in any way he chooses.  As mere human beings we need to check all the time that we are doing the right thing.  It is so easy to make mistakes.  Jesus did not make mistakes in his earthly ministry.

Q2. (John 9:6). Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways? Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.? How much do you think was at his Father's direction (5:19, 30; 12:49). Why is it important to seek God's guidance in how we should minister to a person?

This is a fantastic question, and like in most cases, prayer is the answer; but prayer about healing some one is not likely to work if that is the only thing we pray to God about. Would God let a spiritually immature person become a healer? That depends on God, not me; so I have no real answer, except what is found in John 15... Jesus says He is the vine and we are branches. So staying in the presence of God is a way to 

1. do the right thing by letting God lead

2. respect the person soul who is in our presence, knowing we don't know him much compared to God's knowledge of him.

3. prepare ourselves when going on an evangelist mission knowing and asking God to create context he wants for our encounters. 

Everything happens for a reason, we must stay awake and not fall into sin, even a tiny sin of omission is a bad mark on our score card with God.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways?

Whatever ways Jesus heals it doesn't matter, he is just obeying the will of his Father who sent him.

"4  As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me.

Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.?

We can see no fixed pattern to the forms of Jesus' healing ministry. What ever the Father told him to do is what Jesus only do.

John 5:19 (KJV)
19  Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

How much do you think was at his Father’s direction (5:19, 30; 12:49). Why is it important to seek God’s guidance in how we should minister to a person?

The Father is the Maker and so he knows how to fixed everything and Jesus is following his direction step by step.

If you really are seeking for cure it is only God can do so. God is the real minister to every person and we are the channel, his tools.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (John 9:6). Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways? Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.? How much do you think was at his Father's direction (5:19, 30; 12:49). Why is it important to seek God's guidance in how we should minister to a person

Saliva was a Jewish medical home remedy. . The Gospels record three examples of Jesus' use of saliva  and here). By using this accepted, even expected, method of healing, Jesus was physically encouraging this man's faith, but also deliberately challenging the Pharisees' traditions and rules.

Because of his unity with God, Jesus lived as God wanted him to live. Because of our identification with Jesus, we must honor him and live as he wants us to live. The questions “What would Jesus do?” and “What would Jesus have me do?” may help us make the right choices.

We should seek Gods guidance when you minister to someone. Pray ask God for His guidance not your own making

• 2 months later...

I think Jesus used different ways of healing to teach the disciples that they have the power to do this within themselves. Also by changing his ways, no one could consider him a magician using the same magic trick each time. Jesus was always in communication with his Father. I feel that he was always doing the work of the Father with all of his thoughts, words and actions. I feel that we need to have open communication with God in all that we do. I feel that we need to pray for God's guidance when we talk to people so that we are giving them the right messages and advice.

• 1 month later...

Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways? Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.  Jesus didn’t need to use physical acts to heal!  He knows that we all have different physical and spiritual needs and He recognized the “spiritual” needs surrounding every miracle He performed in order to fulfill those needs.  Sometimes that did call for a physical action, such as the spitting used to heal the blind man, laying on of hands, et al, but those physical actions were used only to focus their faith on Him.  In this case, the people of that time believed that saliva had healing properties and Jesus’ use of saliva was in keeping with the local culture (and traditions) of His time.  In actuality, we all know that Jesus didn’t have to say or do anything at all to heal this man.  He merely used used it to emphasize His intention to heal just as He used the laying on of hands and placing his fingers in a deaf man’s ears.

How much do you think was at his Father's direction?  Jesus ALWAYS did His Father’s will and followed His guidance in every instance.  It wasn’t the physical method that He chose to use that did the healing, the healing came directly from the power of God.

Why is it important to seek God's guidance in how we should minister to a person?  It’s absolutely imperative because if you make the wrong decision or say the wrong things it could lead the person to whom you’re ministering down the wrong path.  If that happens, you will not only lose the faith and trust of that person but it will certainly bring harsh judgment upon you in the end.  The primary tool for ministering to others is your own heart and in order to get your heart right, rather than relying on your own limited competencies, you must commit yourself to the Lord and trust in Him completely.  He is the beginning and the end of all things and it’s only through Him that you can ever hope to minister to another person and have something good come of it.

• 1 year later...

If Jesus had only used one method of healing it wouldn't be long and we would soon put our trust in the healing method, believing in the power of the method  instead of fixing our eyes on Jesus knowing the healing comes from Him and through Him.

As we follow Jesus through the gospels He shows us that there is nothing ever mechanical. Just as spending time with a friend is always different, so our relationship with the Lord is new every morning. I like what many mention in their posts, how important it is to seek first the guidance of the Holy Spirit to discern the Fathers will and then pray for healing. I certainly must put this more into practice.

• 1 year later...

I think that Jesus healed in different ways to show that it wasn’t the method he used it was the message that he was trying to emulate. He was trying to show that it is the Father who is really the one healing. I think that the Father was leaving it up to Jesus to use the method he thought would bring the message. I think that is always important to seek God’s guidance in how we should minister to a person. We don’t know exactly what the person is going through and we could say or do something wrong.

• 7 months later...

Q2. (John 9:6). Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways? Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.? How much do you think was at his Father’s direction (5:19, 30; 12:49). Why is it important to seek God’s guidance in how we should minister to a person? I believe He healed in different ways because His father told Him how to heal people and which ones would accept His healing. Yes, that way we honor God and do what God wants. 

• 7 months later...

Jesus always stated that He does the will of the one who sent Him.  He never claimed to be doing His own will.  He always did the will of God.  He prayed continually and sort the fathers will in everything He did.  Everything Jesus did was the will of God.  He did nothing on His own. When Jesus was not with His disciples, He was off somewhere praying and seeking advise from God.  Jesus's prayer in the garden before being arrested was "not my will, but Thine will be done"..  We should all follow Jesus's example because He is the light sent from God to show us the way.  Jesus healed in different ways because it was God choice on how His will was done.  We may not understand His way but we must obey anyway.  Obedience is the key!!  We must believe and do His will, walk in His word and do His will.!!!  that is what he requires of us!!.  How will we know the will of God if we do not seek it???  He said "ask , and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened unto"".  I remember asking the question of what Jesus meant when He told is mother at the wedding, when she told him that the party was out of wine.  And Jesus asked her what did that have to do with Him??  She wanted him to make wine, to show to her relatives and others who He really was.  And Jesus told her that His time had not come yet.....This was not the time for Him to reveal Himself.  God had already planned Jesus's footsteps and all Jesus was to do was follow, ,where, when and how was all up to God the Father, not Him.  We have fallen in the pattern of doing what we want. We are choosing ways of worship and how to worship based on how we think it should be done and what we think God wants to hear... but we are wrong....If we are not worshipping in the way God has demanded , then our worship is in vain, no matter how sincere we are.  The only way to heaven is God's way.  Our salvation has to be God's way.  We do not have a choice if we say we love Him and believe. He said "if you love me, than keep my commandments".

• 1 year later...

How awesome is our God.   The sovereignty of God at work.   After carefull reading of aforementioned Bible texts,  I now aware that Christ ministered in different ways in accordance with his Father's direction. He didn't do this healing ministry carelessly.   His commandment  He has given Christ to speak (John 12:49) is the germ and power of eternal life (John 6;63; 12:50; 1 John 3:23).

Yes we must spend much time in prayer and implore God for a holy anointing before going out to ministry.    I have used Gospel tracts to witness.   For some that is the best way to reach co-workers or if one is at a restaurant.   I remember my days ministering on skid row and in a maximum security state hospital.   We cannot touch the Ark of the Covenant lest we be out of the will of God.   New ways of doing things not in line with the Bible will bring disaster.   All through out Acts of the Apostles, St Luke wrote constantly on how the HOLY SPIRIT guided the church.   So we need to be very carefull to ask the Holy Spirit for direction.   Some decisions may not be to our liking but we need to obey God in various matters of ministry.

• 9 months later...

Why do you think Jesus healed in different ways?  Laying on of hands, command, mud on eyes, fingers in ears, etc.?

I think He healed in different ways because each case was unique.  Every person is unique.  Not two person's needs are the same.  

If it was always the same way, very soon, that would be copied, the same way would be relied on and not God's guidance.

How much do you think was at His Father's direction (5:19, 30; 12:49).

I know everything was at His Father's direction. 

Reading in the Old Testament how God led His people. It was different ways.   Joshua with the Battle of Jericho;  Gideon with his army of 300;  Moses holding up the rod and his arms being held up by Aaron and Hur while Joshua and the army were fighting;  etc.,  it was never in the same way.   Just so with the healing, it was different ways that were used.

God's way is best and actually the only successful way.