JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Believing in Jesus

• 1 month later...

When Jesus heard the man had been cast out of the synagogue, He went to find him.  The questions this previously blind man had been asked by these religious leaders had led him on a mini faith journey as he saw through their hypocrisy and began to discern for himself that Jesus had to be One from God, One who was sinless, One who obeyed God’s will, One who had the ear of God.  The man saw firsthand the futility, emptiness, and blindness of religion, and with a well-studied Jewish background he was prepared with knowledge of history and Yahweh’s promise of Messiah.  At that point, he was entirely open to the personal encounter with the Son of Man that he needed to transform that knowledge to faith.  And that is the moment of conversion for every sinner!

Q3. (John 9:35-38) Why did Jesus go looking for the man he had healed?

Jesus already said that he was born blind so that God can be revealed in his life. Jesus came to earth to save the lost. There would be no sense in healing the man, make him experience God and then not lead him into the Kingdom of God. Jesus came looking for him because Jesus had to complete His work in him.

What was the healed man's level of openness? He just spoke the truth. He admitted what he didn't know and was very open with what he knew.

His level of faith? His faith was practical. He applied what he experienced in life to what he believed.

His knowledge? He knew that the Messiah would heal the blind and death. He was clever enough not to say directly that Jesus was the Messiah but he made it obvious that he was blind and then could see, thus Jesus had to be from God

What did he need at this point? He just wanted to tell all about his healing. He was thrown out of the temple, thus help to remain with believers was very necessary. Jesus gave him even more

What people do you know who are so ready that they just need some guidance in how to believe in Jesus? My boss

The man had been healed and shared his story, challenging the religious leaders and been thrown out of the synagogue. Jesus had opened his physically blind eyes and now sought him out to complete the opening of his spiritual eyes and to reveal Himself as Messiah, the only way to eternal life.

What was the healed man’s level of openness? His level of faith? His knowledge?

A beautiful thing! He was not only open but eager! He had a level of faith based on what he'd been told about the scriptures. He knew that the Messiah was coming, was a prophet, and would do God's will.

What did he need at this point?

He needed the personal touch of Jesus to turn his head knowledge into true and living faith. Jesus cared about the man's entire person....not just his sight and salvation, but about his need for the love of God given to him personally in his aloneness.

What people do you know who are so ready that they just need some guidance in how to believe in Jesus?

My son is like the man born blind who has been healed. He has head knowledge, but needs the "spark" of personal touch which will ignite his faith to overcome the disappointments and wounds he's received within the church.

Q3. (John 9:35-38) Why did Jesus go looking for the man he had healed? What was the healed man’s level of openness? His level of faith? His knowledge? What did he need at this point? What people do you know who are so ready that they just need some guidance in how to believe in Jesus?

Jesus went looking for the man whom he healed, as he had probably heard that he had been thrown out (ecommunicated) from the synagog by the Jewish authorities (v35). The man appeared to be receptive to what Jesus had to say to him, evident by all the questions the man asked him. He wanted to know more about the "Son of Man". When Jesus told him that he was the 'Son of Man', he believed in him and "worshiped" him. The man's level of faith was great, because he now knew that Jesus was the 'Son of Man'. The man's knowledge was probably limited, however the story indicates the man was a practicing Jew. Therefore he may have known the scriptures well, if they had been read to him.

To believe the man needed to know more about, and meet the 'Son of Man'.

Jesus looked for the man to introduced him to the message of salvation ie to heal him spiritually.

He was a man of integrity and one willing to know and ready to believe and accept the true message.

His level of knowledge of Jesus was limited. He however had big faith as seen in his acceptance and believe in what Jesus told him.

He needed discipleship, to be taught about the truth, the light and spuritual healing.

I don't know of such people but believe they are many and are around us. We need to pray that God will lead us to such people, to tell the about the saviour and salvation.

(John 9:35-38) Why did Jesus go looking for the man he had healed?

• Because the man would not cooperate with the Pharisees who were seeking to destroy his Healer, they threw him out of Temple. 

What was the healed man’s level of openness? His level of faith? His knowledge? What did he need at this point?

• His level op openness, faith and knowledge showed that he lacked knowing who Jesus was but had interest in knowing who He was.

What people do you know who are so ready that they just need some guidance in how to believe in Jesus?        

• There are some youth on my block that I have been talking to that just need some guidance.  I  talk to them every opportunity I can about Jesus and patiently waiting for them to believe in Jesus.

1.He heard that he had been cast out the Temple. I think Jesus wanted him to know who He was. He wanted him to know He was real and increase his faith.

2.He was very open about it.  This man's faith was severely tested as so today the more you believe and follow Christ the more you are persecuted and you will lose friends.

3.The longer this man experienced his new life through Christ the more confident he became in the one who healed him.

4.I don't think he had knowledge  of who Jesus was until he healed him. When we get to know Jesus everything looks clearer. He gained physical sight as well as spiritual  sight. When we turn to Christ we see Him differently.

5.He needed to turn to Jesus in times of troubles now that he  believes. As this man we all need to grow in grace and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ our  Savior.

6. We need to talk about our Savior whenever we can be gentle and loving when we tell them what Jesus has done for us they will look at it differently. So many people have so many excuses not to accept Jesus 

we need to keep talking and walking with the Lord and pray that we will get through to them.

Q3. (John 9:35-38) Why did Jesus go looking for the man he had healed? What was the healed man’s level of openness? His level of faith? His knowledge? What did he need at this point? What people do you know who are so ready that they just need some guidance in how to believe in Jesus?

Jesus went looking for the man had He had healed knowing that ha had been tested by the Jews. Jesus wanted to see if the once blind man had developed a faith in believing who Jesus was.

The healed man's level of openness was great in the presence of the Jews who had questioned him. he was not afraid of them or their accusations.

His level of faith seems to have only increased by the questions from the Jews. Surely the who healed him was from God.

The knowledge of his religious faith was probably minimal since he was born blind and having no type of education in the Jews faith. 

At this point he only needed to know that a sinner could not do acts of miracles as Jesus did. He needed only to believe that Jesus was the "Son of Man" or "Son of God".

I know of no one who is so ready to except Christ as their savior, that it would only take a bit of witnessing to get them to believe in Christ. People I know mostly have a very hard heart and do not wish to believe. Some are so wrapped up in their religious ceremonies and teachings that only worshiping is man's traditions do they feel fulfilled.     

(John 9:35-38) Why did Jesus go looking for the man he had healed? What was the healed man’s level of openness? His level of faith? His knowledge? What did he need at this point? What people do you know who are so ready that they just need some guidance in how to believe in Jesus? 

The blind man was persecuted for Jesus' sake. He was healed but because he challenged the bigotry of the Jewish leaders, he was excommunicated from the synagogue and was now alone. The blind man didn't yet know Jesus at this time. All he knew was he was healed. Having received his healing, his level of openness and faith was high. However, his knowledge was low. What he needed was to know Jesus and who Jesus is. This was demonstrated by his ready acceptance and worship of Jesus. Praise God!

Q3. (John 9:35-38) Why did Jesus go looking for the man he had healed? What was the healed man's level of openness? His level of faith? His knowledge? What did he need at this point? What people do you know who are so ready that they just need some guidance in how to believe in Jesus?

Jesus knew what had transpired and knew that the man was ready for the next step to put his trust and faith in Jesus the Messiah.  He was ready and eager.  When you have met the Lord you don't leave the same way.  His faith was strengthened and his thinking was clear.  He was ready to confess faith in Jesus, Son of God, to be saved for all eternity.

God bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q3. (John 9:35-38) 

Why did Jesus go looking for the man he had healed? 

What was the healed man's level of openness? 

His level of faith? 

His knowledge? 

Having heard that the man He had just healed was thrown out of his synagogue, Jesus went to find him. Here we see Jesus taking the initiative in opening the man’s spiritual eyes – the same as He did in giving this man physical sight. If God did not take the initiative in salvation, no one would be saved, since we, as sinners, cannot seek Him on our own. We studied in (6:44): "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day”. Just as in this case - Jesus reveals Himself and his eyes are opened. The blind man would not worship a mere man, but as soon as he realized that Jesus was the Son of Man, he worshipped Him – not for what He had done but for who He was. Unfortunately there are people I know who stubbornly refuse to believe in Jesus. Some of them are the most wonderful people who would be good Christians. How tragic. 

When Jesus heard they cast the man he healed out, banning him from the synagogue, treating him as if he were dead is why Jesus went looking for him.

The road of salvation is not “ALWAYS” an easy road as some would declare, in fact; it is a road that many do not want to follow because it is a narrow road.

Q4. What were the healed man's level of openness and his level of faith?

His level of openness and faith was now at an all time great level. – This man’s openness began while he was still blind and he allowed this man they called Jesus to rub clay of spittle on his eyes, it was because of his openness that we see his “FAITH” come alive and he went and washed the clay off his eyes.

Faith like that of Abraham’s is called “trusting” faith, faith that is proved through obedience, this man’s faith was revealed in his obedience to what Jesus said, therefore he went to the pool of Siloam and washed it off, that he received his sight.

Q5. What was his knowledge?

It was because of his knowledge that his faith was at an all time high, for the one thing he “KNEW”, he was once blind, but now he could see.

His level of knowledge was enough to face those of higher learning and to speak words of great wisdom to them, “Since the world began was it not heard that any man healed the eyes of one that was born blind, if this man were not of God, he could do nothing” 

I often am amazed at those who seem to have much knowledge, and yet am blind to that knowledge as these Pharisees were.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus looked for him because he heard about his interrogation by the Pharisees and his brave attitude.  The healed man was very open and believed that his healing could only have come from God.  He was not knowledgeable at this point, but wanted to learn more.  The first people to spring to mind as ready, are children.  They listen as no adult will.  They need guidance, but faith comes easily to them.

Q3. (John 9:35-38) Why did Jesus go looking for the man he had healed? What was the healed man's level of openness? His level of faith? His knowledge? What did he need at this point? What people do you know who are so ready that they just need some guidance in how to believe in Jesus?

The blind man didn't do this; but he did recognize that the so called Jewish leaders were not being objective. This man knew he was healed by God, a miracle, not just a great healing. His faith and knowledge grew as he was questioned, and then when Jesus came to ask him some questions.

I don't know any people who are just looking for guidance to help them believe in Jesus. People in 12 step programs are trained to seek the God of their understanding, their higher power to heal them. If they find Jesus, it is God's will, but are not necessarily seeking Him. It is all so personal and based upon trust relationships for every thing. Praying and asking for healing; and me knowing I must pray a lot more to be able to deal with anyone who might be seeking Jesus without realizing it. All people who do good charitable things are getting these ideas or hints from God talking to them. That is why we need to give God all the glory, and retain our humility.

• 3 weeks later...

Why did Jesus go looking for the man he had healed?

The Lord is very compassionate in the soul of this man and he chosed him to be save. After the physical eyes of the young man was opened, Jesus next plan and purpose is to open his spiritual eyes.

"35  Jesus heard that they had thrown him out, and when he found him, he said, 'Do you believe in the Son of Man?'

What was the healed man’s level of openness?

This man's openness is great and no fear.

"He replied, 'Whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!'" (9:25)

His level of faith?

The man's faith is so high that he gave his healer the highest office.

"Finally they turned again to the blind man, 'What have you to say about him? It was your eyes he opened.'
The man replied, 'He is a prophet.'" (9:17)

His knowledge?

He know that this is a work of God.

15  Therefore the Pharisees also asked him how he had received his sight. 'He put mud on my eyes,' the man replied, 'and I washed, and now I see.'
John 9:33 (KJV)
33  If this man were not of God, he could do nothing.

This man needs to confess in his mouth that Jesus is Lord.

38  Then the man said, 'Lord, I believe,' and he worshiped him." (9:35-38)

People who listen now to the Words and continuing on until they finally confess that Jesus is Lord.

• 2 weeks later...

The man’s new faith was severely tested by some of the authorities.They wanted to know who healed him. Jesus wanted him to be served and believe in who healed him. He was cursed and evicted from the synagogue. Persecution may come when you follow Jesus. You may lose friends; you may even lose your life. But no one can ever take away the eternal life that Jesus gives you.

The longer this man experienced his new life through Christ, the more confident he became in the one who had healed him. He gained not only physical sight but also spiritual sight as he recognized Jesus first as a prophet, then as his Lord. When you turn to Christ, you begin to see him differently. The longer you walk with him, the better you will understand who he is. Peter tells us to “grow in the special favor and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18). If you want to know more about Jesus, keep walking with him.

As we disciple new believers they need to walk with Godday by day in faith. 

• 2 months later...

The man never saw Jesus. He only knew his name and would recognize his voice. However, the man actually defended Jesus as coming from God. He tried to get the Pharisees to see the truth about Jesus. The man probably only heard the word of God in the temple. He would never have been able to got to school. But he was able to use common sense to know who Jesus really was. he was very logical in his basic knowledge of the word of God. At this point, of now being able to see, the man needed to be able to praise Jesus and to thank him. He needed guidance on how to build on the faith that he already had. Jesus was ready, willing and able to teach him how to live a life that is ready to serve God.

I feel that my community is ready to start to hear the word of God. They just need someone to approach them on their level. They need to be heard on their problems. They do not need to feel like an outsider in an established church. They need someone to teach them on their own level.

• 1 month later...

Jesus sought him out because he heard that the Pharisees had excommunicated him from the temple because he had been totally open and confident in his proclamations about Jesus Christ.  Although his formal knowledge was probably limited, his “common sense” told him that the man who’d healed his blindness was in-fact a true man of god.  At this point all he needed was confirmation that his assertions were correct and when Jesus gave that to him he believed and worshiped Him.

• 3 years later...

I think that Jesus went looking for the man because he probably sensed that he was in trouble with the Pharisees and wanted to console him. The blind man was open to the man that had healed him because he knew that he was at least a prophet or better and that the only way that he could have been healed was by God. He needed somebody to inform him who the man was that he could heal and willing to learn more about him.

• 7 months later...

Q3. (John 9:35-38) Why did Jesus go looking for the man he had healed? What was the healed man’s level of openness? His level of faith? His knowledge? What did he need at this point? What people do you know who are so ready that they just need some guidance in how to believe in Jesus? He did because He knew that the man was seeking answers for who healed him. It was completely open since he was kicked out of the synagogue by the Pharisees. He had some faith but not a lot. He had prior knowledge of the Scriptures but not much else. Verification of who Jesus was. They ask me who Jesus is and how to believe in Him. 

• 7 months later...

The scripture states that when Jesus heard that the blind man had been questioned and thrown out of the synagogue he went and found him.  Jesus needed to complete the assignment given to Him. He opened the eyes of the blind man now He needed to see if this man would believe in Him and worship Him as the Son of God.  It completed the miracle.  He revealed Himself to the man and asked if he believed in Him?.. In order to be saved a person must believe in Jesus. Once his physical blindness was cured, his spiritual blindness must be cured also. Confessing Jesus as the Messiah and believing, and worshipping Him, completed the act.  The man could not see Jesus before, now that his sight was restored, he could see and confess who it was that healed him.

• 1 year later...

The healed man was excommunicated from the synagogue.  This man did not hesitate to oppose ythe judgment of the Pharisees; he had firm conviction of the miracle of the energy of Divine power and in the character of Christ as the representative of God.   His parents were not exactly supportive of their son.  No wonder why Christ sought him out ;  the healed man needed to be further discipled and confirmed.  Christ had to make him the subject of spiritual illumination.  Miracles though magnificent cannot work faith.  Christ engendered faith in this man.  Faith is based on knowledge; this man receives Christ's testimony with promptness, and accepts him as Redeemer.  His confession is concise and unremitting. He worships Christ.  The Greek word for 'worship' is proskunein-simple act of faith in Christ.  We are anticipating the confession of Thomas the Apostle (John 20:38).

This man's openess, faith and knowledge were extraordinary ! He was ripevfor the picking.   What a work of grace. The denunciation of the Pharisees and the lukewarm reception of his family made him think more profoundly upon Christ's mission, his character and divine nature as the Son of God.  Christ knew the predicament of this man that had a divine miracle; Christ gradually discipled this man by signs, by word and by his character..

Yes ! There are individuals that I know that I have dealt with in the past.  Amazingly, a number have kept in touch with me over the years.

• 9 months later...

Why did Jesus go looking for the man he had healed?  Jesus heard that the man had been put out of the synagogue (been excommunicated) and so He went to him.

What was the healed man's level of openness?  The man was very open to hear what Jesus had to tell him.

His level of faith?  He trusted and believed completely. He had even voiced his opinion in front of the authorities.

His knowledge?  He does not seem to be ignorant.  When he spoke to the Pharisees he pointed out that if Jesus was not from God, He would not have been able to perform the miracle.  When Jesus asked him if he adhered to the Son of man, he was honest and said who is He, that I may believe in Him.  He was open to learn.

What did he need at this point?  The man needed guidance and encouragement. He fully believed and worshiped Christ.