JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Loving Your Life

• 2 months later...

To love and value our eternal life so much that it makes any love for this earthly life and things of this world look like hate by comparison truly is the essence of what it means to be a disciple.  I think Jesus was using hyperbole, as He did many times.  This doesn’t mean we must despise our life on earth, for God intends for us to enjoy life abundantly wherever we are!  To me, it means that we must not become so “in love” and attached to this world that we are governed by its ways, philosophies, ideologies, desires, etc.  We must not set our hearts on the things of earth more than we long for for the things of heaven.  We should always consider ourselves more as citizens of heaven than residents of earth.  A person blinded by a high regard for the life in the transient earthly realm will end up losing true life in the eternal realm.

This is what Jesus demonstrated for us in the Garden of Gethsemane.  Even as He struggled mightily and asked if there was any other way, He “died” to His own human will and surrendered completely into the perfect will of the Father.  This was the only path to please God and to be exalted and honored by God.

(John 12:25-26) In what way is verse 25 the essence of what it means to be a disciple? In this verse, what does it mean to “love” your life? What does it mean to “hate” your life? How did Jesus live this out in the Garden of Gethsemane?

We cannot and must not be distracted by the world. Essentially, loving your life and hating your life does not literally mean to love or hate but rather where our focus us. Verse 25 is the essence of being a disciple in the sense that our focus must be on the Lord Jesus Christ. As Jesus said, where our treasure is, there our heart lies also. (Matt 6.21) Jesus lived this out in the Garden of Gethsemane by being obedient to God's will even until death. 

In what way is verse 25 the essence of what it means to be a disciple?

I have to let go ofbmy desires, of my will, of my control and trust Him to lead me completely. When He leads me in to the valley of death i have to trust Him because where He is, is life -even in the valley of death.

As a disciple have to die to myself n order to really love.

In this verse, what does it mean to "love" your life? Love your own desires and will

What does it mean to "hate" your life? Tovfeel ashamed of whole are without Christ. To hate my sinful desires, will, scheming, trickery, hatefulness and so on

How did Jesus live this out in the Garden of Gethsemane?

He laid down His life so that all may have eternal life

Q2. (John 12:25-26)

The disciple follows and willingly obeys the Master whether it is convenient or not, even if it means losing his life. There is eternal reward for this. This is what verse 25 is saying. He who loves his life will lose it.

In this verse, what does it mean to "love" your life?

To 'love' ones life is to put ones interest and comfort first before the service of the Lord. The reverse should be the case.

What does it mean to "hate" your life?

To 'hate' ones life is to be able to go any where the Master sends one and to be willing to suffer for the Master's work.

Jesus lived this out in the Garden of Gethsemane by going ahead willingly to face the cross and death despite the anticipated humiliation, pains and eventual death.

Q2. (John 12:25-26) In what way is verse 25 the essence of what it means to be a disciple? In this verse, what does it mean to "love" your life? What does it mean to "hate" your life? How did Jesus live this out in the Garden of Gethsemane?

To be a disciple is to learn from the Master and to follow Him, carrying our cross (not some little burden but to go to death  as He went to death for us).

To love your life means to forsake Christ for the pleasures of this world, to hate your life means to be willing to die for the glory of Christ or to live a life separate from the ways of the world.  Hated by the world.

In the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus knew intensely all that was ahead of Him in His time left on this earth.  He pleaded to have it removed however He knew God the Father's will was of eternal importance for so many and desired more the Father's glory than His own release from the pain to come.  We are to desire God's glory more than our own lives.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Verse 25 is the essence of self-sacrifice.  We cannot be true disciples if we do not sacrifice our worldly will for God’s will.  To ‘love’ your life means to enjoy material things ahead of spiritual.  To ‘hate’ your life means to despise worldly things and long for eternal life.  Jesus lived this out in the Garden of Gethsemane by placing his fate completely into his Father’s hands.

Q2. (John 12:25-26) In what way is verse 25 the essence of what it means to be a disciple? In this verse, what does it mean to “love” your life?

To love one's life is to choose one's will and priorities over that of our master, Jesus. A disciple lays down one's life and allows Jesus to reign supreme in His priorities...that of the Kingdom.

What does it mean to “hate” your life?

It means to value life lived in the Spirit, ( walking with Jesus), with a willingness to "crucify"  the flesh or self life.

He surrendered His human life in order to fulfill His Father's purpose for Him....the crucifixion so that like the kernal of wheat dying and going into the ground, countless lives would be born from his death.

Q2. (John 12:25-26) In what way is verse 25 the essence of what it means to be a disciple? In this verse, what does it mean to “love” your life? What does it mean to “hate” your life? How did Jesus live this out in the Garden of Gethsemane?

It is the essence of what it means to be a disciple becaues Jesus said "if you love me you will obey my commandments" (John 14:5). This is the true test that a christian obeys the commands of Christ, Its about putting Christ first in life and not settling for second best.

To hate ones life is to put christ first, above the wants and desires of the individual. Paul writes that we have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16b) so as a disciple of Christ, our lives become more in tune with him as we know him more and more. Paul also wrote in Romans 8:5  "For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit."

Q2. (John 12:25-26) In what way is verse 25 the essence of what it means to be a disciple?

A true disciple is one who is willing to follow after the Messiah; it is because our “LOVE” for him supersedes that of self.

Q3. In this verse, what does it mean to "love" your life?

To love one’s life here means one plans to continue on living the way they want to, even if it is contrary to the wisdom of God, in other words, they plan to do it “MY Way.”

Q4. What does it mean to "hate" your life?

The meaning here to “HATE” one’s life simply means to “LOVE LESS”; it means we understand full well that God has a plan for us, a plan not to do harm, but to do good, it is in that understanding that we “LOVE LESS” our lives.

To be a disciple means to follow Jesus whatever the dangers or consequences - in total obedience to Him. It reminds me of Psalm 25:4-5: Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Saviour, and my hope is in you all day long”. And then some of my favourite verses come to mind: “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3:5-6). Acknowledging Him in everything we do. When we love our lives we live for material things – food, clothing and pleasures are the most important things in our lives. We live for these things. By loving our lives, we fail to realize that the soul is more important than the body. We end up neglecting our soul's welfare, and thereby we lose our lives. On the other hand, to hate one's life means to love Christ more than we love our own interests. We hate worldly things and we are more focused on things eternal. To serve Christ, one must follow Him. Not my will, but yours be done! 

Lesson 2 question 2

To be a disciple of Jesus is the follow him wherever he is calling us to go and do whatever he wants us to do. We are not our own but belong to our faithful Savior - (first question and answer - Heidelberg Catechism) . We are to give up our selves and follow him, trusting that he will faithfully lead and help us to glorify Him and the Father. - the Holy Spirit helping us. That is, we are to lose our life and make even good things secondary to the Father's will. We are to offer our lives as a sacrifice to God - this is our worship - Romans 12: 1, 2. we are to transform our live. .

b. To love our life is to make our wishes the priority.

c. To hate our life is to make the Father's will our priority.

d. Jesus in the garden felt the extreme weight of what obedience to the Father would entail. It would not be easy. For Jesus to give himself to the Father's wishes was hard and went against his natural human desire for freedom and self will and also went against his God nature (equality with God) the thing that he in obedience would not grasp.( Phil. 2) He gave up this right for us.

that we have to be so committed to living for Christ that we hate our lives by comparison.

This does not mean that we long to die or being destructive with the life God has given us but be willing to die if doing so will glorify Christ.

If we hate our life we are not willing to lay aside our worldly pleasures and our own self-centeredness  to love God freely. We need to release our life and control to Jesus  so we can live for him with  joy in our lives.

I am sure if anyone knew death was coming soon would plead with our Savior to not let it happen this is what Jesus done in the garden he knew every detail he was going to go through but Praise  the Lord he realize that it was his Father's will and not his and that when he said not my will but thine will.  This is how we should pray in the  Father's will  not our will.

Q2. (John 12:25-26) In what way is verse 25 the essence of what it means to be a disciple? In this verse, what does it mean to “love” your life? What does it mean to “hate” your life? How did Jesus live this out in the Garden of Gethsemane?

In verse 25 means to be disciples of Christ we are to stop doing the things that are not glorifying God. If we love Christ we will deny the flesh pick up our cross and follow him, to where ever he leads us in life. We are to hate the things of the flesh which can lead us to sin, we must be witnesses for him and spread the good news of the gospel making disciples of others.

If we love our life in which all the world has to offer, high positions, things that benefit us materially and not focuses on Christ is wrong. He is our creator and only wants our love and obedience for Him.

By hating our life we hate the things in the world that draw us away from God. We hate the sins that the flesh causes us to be tempted by. God offers a perfect life, he will provide for us if we allow him to.

In the garden of Gethsemane Jesus was tempted by avoiding the pain and torture that was coming his way. No doubt Satan was probably present to try and persuade Jesus not to go through with Gods plan for him. Jesus was determined to be obedient to the Heavenly Father, he knew why he was sent to bring all men back to God. He would be obedient to the end of his life.   

• 3 weeks later...

To be a disciple means the follower of Jesus Christ. Doing all things according to Jesus way. The willingness to surrender our life and obey Jesus Christ is the very basis of what it means to be a disciple.

In this verse, what does it mean to “love” your life?

To follow your own way. To disregard Jesus way and love yourself only. To be unbeliever of Jesus, not willing to surrender his life to Christ.

What does it mean to “hate” your life?

Surrendering your life to Christ. You are not loving this world. You don't own your ola nature anymore.

Jesus obeyed the Father by facing death in the cross. He surrender and obey to the plan and purpose of God because it is better. The way of Jesus is to obey the will of God.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (John 12:25-26) In what way is verse 25 the essence of what it means to be a disciple? In this verse, what does it mean to "love" your life? What does it mean to "hate" your life? How did Jesus live this out in the Garden of Gethsemane?

We must be so committed to living for Christ that we “despise” our lives by comparison. This does not mean that we long to die or that we are careless or destructive with the life God has given, but that we are willing to die if doing so will glorify Christ. We must disown the tyrannical rule of our own self-centeredness. By laying aside our striving for advantage, security, and pleasure, we can serve God lovingly and freely. Releasing control of our lives and transferring control to Christ bring eternal life and genuine joy.

Many believed that Jesus came for the Jews only. But when Jesus said, “All those who want to be my disciples must come and follow me,” he was talking to these Greeks as well. No matter who the sincere seekers are, Jesus welcomes them. His message is for everyone. Don’t allow social or racial differences to become barriers to the Good News. Take the Good News to all people.

Jesus knew his crucifixion lay ahead, and because he was human, he dreaded it. He knew he would have to take the sins of the world on himself, and he knew this would separate him from his Father. He wanted to be delivered from this horrible death, but he knew that God sent him into the world to die for our sins, in our place. Jesus said no to his human desires in order to obey his Father and glorify him. Although we will never have to face such a difficult and awesome task, we are still called to obedience. Whatever the Father asks, we should do his will and bring glory to his name.

• 2 weeks later...

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it." (Matthew 16:24-25)

"The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life." (12:25)

What could more better express following God's will that to reject anything that is of this world, to follow Him? Is this not what every pastor and priest and rabbi has done. It is not easy to despise the world and  be in it. We can too easily judge the others that might not yet be called to take the path of the Kingdom. If I don't "hate my life" it would not make sense to let it go; or maybe I just don't hear Him and what He is asking me to do.

Jesus was never "of this world" or He would have sinned and lost connection with the Father, Sounds like a familiar story for me in my life. I seem to not yet be ready to give it all up. Seeking God's will

It is easy to hate some of my life. The more I study the Bible, the more I can easily confess that I am a worthless sinner. I have no merit for God's grace and mercy. Still, it is offered to me, if I will surrender deeper to HIM. He loves to show me this because "hardship is the pathway to peace, to Christ."

Not remaining in Christ, per John 15, is a dangerous way to live for some one who knows they are ADHD. And a challenge, since it is by some evil habitual nature that such wandering came about.

Hating my life and letting go of old ways, of the world, this is what He is asking us to do. So that our joy will be complete, and we'll desire to tell others how good it feels; and how God is alive in me, so I can serve others above myself.

Let the deeper healing come oh Lord, what I really need, what we all really need. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

• 3 months later...

In what way is verse 25 the essence of what it means to be a disciple?  In v. 25 Jesus said, “Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.   

“Anyone who loves their life will lose it...“ Being a disciple of Jesus is a serious life-changer.  It means that you must be willing to give yourself over to Him and make major changes your life.  When you give yourself over to Him, you have Him with you every minute of every day and then you’ll begin to know Him intimately, obeying Him without question and doing His will.  Leaving your old life to follow Jesus is a very serious commitment. You are putting Him first and foremost in your life and that commitment could mean leaving family and friends to follow Him.

“…anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.”  A true disciple of Christ will hate his earthly life.  He/she must undergo a spiritual death in order to rid themselves of the old, sinful self.  Discipleship is spiritual growth through this re-birth and, as a disciple, you‘re so spiritually committed to Jesus that that you put ego and worldly things away to follow Him. 

What does it mean to "love" your life?  Those who love their earthly lives are never satisfied.  Always thirsting for worldly gratification and personal gain, they lose sight of Christ and put themselves in danger of losing their spiritual life.   When faced with a choice those who love their lives opt for the comforts of life over eternal life with Christ Jesus.

What does it mean to "hate" your life?  Those who hate their lives give themselves to Christ while rejecting worldly things and embracing His teaching, gaining back their spiritual life.

How did Jesus live this out in the Garden of Gethsemane?  In accordance with the will of His Father, as He entered the garden He knew that He was nearing His appointed time to die and His holiness would not interfere with His rendezvous with the cross.  Jesus came to the garden "being found in fashion as a man," and He endured the obligation to His Father is if He were entirely human.  He began His prayers in the garden with the words "if it is possible" signifying a spirit of dutiful submission to His Father’s will.  That very same spirit is echoed in His closing words, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” As He awaited His fate in the garden, He embraced the very same mental, moral, physical, and spiritual suffering that we too experience during times of intense personal anguish.  His faithful submission to the Father’s will was nothing new and His prayers in the garden were a clear expression of His humanity and the purpose of his entire life was about to be fulfilled as he prepared to set his earthly life aside.

• 3 years later...

It means that we are willing to give up on our way and follow Jesus fully. The word “love” in this verse means that we will only do what benefits us. The word “hate” in this this verse means that we will follow Jesus no matter what it takes. Jesus lived this out in the Garden of Gethsemane when he told God “not my will but yours”.

• 7 months later...

Q2. (John 12:25-26) In what way is verse 25 the essence of what it means to be a disciple? In this verse, what does it mean to “love” your life? What does it mean to “hate” your life? How did Jesus live this out in the Garden of Gethsemane? It is the essence of being a disciple because we must be willing to lose our life and realize that nothing is more important than Jesus' and His word and what He wants for us. It means giving up our rights and what we want for His will and plan for us. The word for Love depicts us what we want and not what He wants for us. The word Hate depicts us walking away from our old way of life and friends and saying goodbye and choosing to follow Christ wholeheartedly. The Lord depicted this by saying not my will but thine done in the Garden. 

• 2 years later...

Roman's 12:1-3 sums it up very nicely.   Our Christian lives must be one of living in sanctification all day long.  Too many churches are presently telling people that it is fine to live in sin.   Spurious reasonings that are doctrines of devils.  We are to live in his Son and for his Son.  Apostle John is stressing here that Christ is calling us to live in holiness; the Advocate, the Holy Spirit would be our Treasury of blessings.  The church of God is called to be the Bride of Christ,the ecclesia..the people chosen out of the market place.

Temple coinage and animal sacrifice ceased.   The universality of the Jewish religion fell by the wayside and became very parochial when Jesus was preaching.  Even the Essenes by the Dead Sea couldn't accept the goings on in Jerusalem.  Here we are presented with the universality of the Christain faith---only by the Cross and Resurrection--can all of mankind be saved.

Bible believers from various denominations need to rediscover the privileges of 1Peter2:9.    God calls to the Holiest of Holies;  the word "laity" is so similar to "lazy".   So many aren't aware of their callings to ministry.  They are entrenched in the world.   Time for sports, hobbies and immoral activities....yet to take time for evangelism and prayer and fasting---they have no time or little time..so sad.

Abandonment to the providence of God---many shudder at this!  No Cross-no crown.  Though good church members,  many shirk from launching into the deep.  Very sad that many ethnic churches don't fulfill the universal call to go forth to ALL NATIONS.  By the grace of God,  I have made it through my gardens of Gethsemane.  To preach the Gospel faithfully in good and bad times; times when I couldn't understand why things were going haywire.

• 9 months later...

This verse basically is saying that it is far better living for God, wherever He has placed you. No matter the difficulty.  If we live there to carry out His will and by doing so , we are not really in an over comfortable position (thus not putting our comforts first) we are dying to our selfish desires ('hating' our lives). We are being a disciple by following His will, where He leads we are right there.  

If we would rather "love our lives" than follow His leading, we would then make sure that wherever we are, would meet our human comforts and not necessarily be following His leading.  The opposite would be said for "hating our lives". We would seek His will for our lives and whatever that is, we would follow .

In the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus  prayed ,  NOT MY WILL BUT THINE BE DONE.  In this dark hour He still submitted to the Father's will.