JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

In several instances, Jesus spoke of literally being “lifted up”.  I agree with Pastor Ralph that He likely had triple meanings of (1) being lifted up on a cross to atone for man’s sin, (2) being lifted up out of the grave in resurrection to overcome death, and (3) being lifted up to His rightful place in heaven by ascension as Redeemer and Savior.  In these specific verses, I think He particularly spoke of the crucifixion, since John tells us in verse 33 that Jesus was speaking of the way He would die.

“EXTRA CREDIT”: Isaiah 52:12 speaks of Israel’s deliverance from bondage and divine protection as God goes before her and follows as her rear guard. 

Perhaps we’re meant here to look at Isaiah 52:13Behold, my servant shall act wisely; he shall be high[H7311] and lifted up[H5375], and shall be exalted[H1361, H3966].  The same Hebrew words here were also used in Isaiah 6:1, where Isaiah “saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high[H7311] and lifted up[H5375]”, speaking of Christ’s position of importance and prominence.  Also in Isaiah 57:15, the same words speak of “the One who is high[H7311] and lifted up[H5375], who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy.” 

H7311=rûm, which means to be set on high, raised, uplifted, exalted of person

H5375=nâsâh, which means to lift up, bring forth

H1361=gâbahh, which means to be high, exalted, made higher

(H3966 is a superlative to intensify H1361 = very high)

The context of all 3 of these verses regards the personal and positional lofty height, incomparable glory, and supreme majesty of Christ’s exaltation when He ascended back to heaven.

Philippians 2:8-9: And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name.   Jesus obeyed the Father’s will that required His death.  This obedience pleased the Father by accomplishing His will, and He consequently raised Christ from the grave and restored Him to His superior elevated position of exaltation and great authority in heaven.

I tend to think that, while Jesus did use the term “lifted up” in those 3 different ways and they’re all related, John 12:33 specifically identifies His statement about being lifted up from the earth in verse 32 as a prophetic word about His death, which would be by crucifixion.  This was the prophesied death that would lift Him up to so effectively pour out His blood in atonement for all sin.

(John 12:32-33) What does Jesus mean when he talks about being “lifted up.” Do you think Jesus means being “lifted up” literally or figuratively or both? “Extra credit”: How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:12? How does it relate to Philippians 2:8-9? 

What Jesus spoke about being lifted up, it was more literally -  Jesus was physically lifted up on the cross, Jesus was raised from the dead and Jesus ascended into heaven. I believe these were physical acts rather than a figure of speech. 

For you shall not go out with haste, Nor go by flight; For the LORD will go before you, And the God of Israel will be your rear guard. Behold, My Servant shall deal prudently; He shall be exalted and extolled and be very high. (Isaiah 52.12-13)

And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,... (Phi 2:8-9)

The term lifted up has the connotation of being above. The verse in John relates to Isaiah and Philippians in the sense of Jesus being above all men. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. Hallelujah!

What does Jesus mean when he talks about being "lifted up."

As per the teaching it can mean 3 things . To be lifted on the cross, to be raised from the grave and to accent to heaven. I think it also points to Jesus being glorified and raised to 2nd in command for the whole universe.

Do you think Jesus means being "lifted up" literally or figuratively or both? Both as discussed Above.

Q3. (John 12:32-33)

What does Jesus mean when he talks about being "lifted up." Do you think Jesus means being "lifted up" literally or figuratively or both?

When Jesus talked about being "lifted up", He meant his crucifiction on the cross, resurrection from the grave and assension to heaven.

"Extra credit": How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:12?

In Isaiah 52:13 we see the prophet proclaiming that Jesus would be lifted/ raised up and be highly exalted and He was!

How does it relate to Philippians 2:8-9?

Paul testified to the fulfilment of prophesies as Jesus was lifted up on the cross to die for sin but glorified by God as He was raised from the grave and taken up to heaven where He sits on the right hand of God.

When Jesus talks about being lifted up, he means being crucified.  He means it literally, both bodily for himself, and spiritually for us. 

In Isaiah 52:12 Isaiah says ‘the Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel will be your rear guard.  The following verse (52:13) says ‘he shall be exalted and lifted up and shall be very high’.  When Jesus was ‘lifted up’ on the cross, he went before us, showing us the way.  In Philippians 2:8-9 St Paul says that Jesus humbled himself to the point of death on a cross and was therefore exalted.  Death on the cross was the ultimate disgrace in Roman times.  It was therefore a very humble death, performed for our sake.  He was then lifted up to heaven where he is above all.

Q3. (John 12:32-33) What does Jesus mean when he talks about being “lifted up.”Do you think Jesus means being “lifted up” literally or figuratively or both?

He was speaking both of being lifted up on the cross, and after the resurrection, being "High and Lifted up in Glorification."

“Extra credit”: How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:12?

(I'm thinking you meant Isaiah 52:13? ) "Behold my Servant shall deal wisely and shall prosper: He shall be exalted and extolled and shall stand very high" ...again, He's speaking of both the coming crucifixion, where like the serpent lifted up on a "pole", Jesus would be lifted up high and all who look to His death for salvation will be saved...as well as later being glorified as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Because He humbled Himself so low in obedience to the extreme of death on the cross, God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the Name that is above every name...and at which Name, every knee will bow and tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of the Father!

I love these verses...such a precious "picture" of our Lord....Humility and Honor.....the strength of steel, and the softness of velvet.

Q3. (John 12:32-33) What does Jesus mean when he talks about being “lifted up.” Do you think Jesus means being “lifted up” literally or figuratively or both? “Extra credit”: How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:13? How does it relate to Philippians 2:8-9?

In every sense Jesus was and is lifted up.  He was allowed by the Father to be lifted up on a cross by men, He was lifted to the right hand of God by the Father, and He is lifted in our hearts when we worship Him. He is lifted up when we don't worship Him because He is who He is.  He is seated forever at the right hand of God and makes intercession for us. 

Everything Jesus did, does, will do prospers. (Isaiah 52:13). And in His work on the cross for God's glory and for our salvation He was lifted high, very high for God was pleased with His servant.

in His humility He was lifted up.  There is  a magnificent strength in humility and Jesus who was and is and always will be King of Kings and Lord of Lords humbled Himself and became obedient to God to suffer by and for us on the cross, to death and was exalted by God to have a name that is above all names, JESUS, high and lifted up. Philippians 2:8,9

God Bless!

Jen

Philippians 2: 10,11

Q3. (John 12:32-33) What does Jesus mean when he talks about being “lifted up.” Do you think Jesus means being “lifted up” literally or figuratively or both? “Extra credit”: How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:13? How does it relate to Philippians 2:8-9?

Verse 33 of the chapter concerned says that he (Jesus) said that he will be lifted up to indicate how he was going to die, so he was speaking of a literal lifting up on the cross. According to the notes, in other passages of scripture and other places in the Gospel of John, the term lifting up refer to Jesus raising from the dead and the ascension. The words used in the Septuagint translation of the old testament, hypsso (lift up spatially, lift up, raise high) and doxazo (highly exalted) are the words in the Gospel of John refering to Jesus crucifixion and glorification. Isiah 52:13 and Philippians 2:8,9 both are strong evidence that the servant Christ, would be lifted up and exalted because of his obedience ..."unto death on the cross"

What does Jesus mean when He talks about being "lifted up." 

Do you think Jesus means being "lifted up" literally or figuratively or both? 

"Extra credit": 

How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:13? 

Jesus is speaking about His crucifixion, resurrection and ascension. It is to be taken both literally and figuratively. It ties in with Isaiah 52:13 where Jehovah’s Servant was exalted in resurrection, lifted up in ascension and made very high in glory at God’s right hand. Confirmed in Philippians 2:8-9 where Jesus in humble obedience to the Father, died on the cross and was given the highest place and His name honoured above all names. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is literally.I Isaiah 52: 13  It states that He would be highly exalted because of his sacrifice for our sins which means  he died on the cross for us.

Jesus died as one who was cursed it is amazing that this  perfect man should die the most shameful death so that we would not have to face eternal punishment. Praise His Holy Name JESUs

Jesus gas spoken of being lifted up in three different scenarios or situations, explaining his purpose for coming to earth and saving all man kind or at least those who believe and trust in him. In Moses time the people had rebelled against God, therefore he sent serpents to bit and kill the people. God commanded Moses to make a brass serpent, lift it up on a pole and all who gazed at it were healed. So as Christ was lifted up on the cross all who believe in him will have eternal life. As the Son of man was crucified all who believe will know that Jesus did nothing on his own, only as was instructed to do by his Father. For no one had ever done miracles or taught the word as he had done. Jesus was lifted up on the cross doing the will of God. He was raised from the dead and ascended into heaven. He did nothing for his own glory but for the glory of the Father. God has glorified Jesus and now Christ draws all who will come to him that they may have eternal life in heaven with God.

Jesus meant being lifted up both figuratively and literally. He was lifted upon the cross to show he was to die. He also ascended into Heaven beforre many witnesses. Figuratively as the serpent was on the pole saved , so Christ death on the cross saved us from eternal damnation. He ascended to heaven and was glorified, thus the Holy Spirit was sent to us to witness the truth of God.

Relating to John 12:32-33 to Isaiah 52:12, the pillar of fire at night and a cloud by day illustrates how the Lord who was lifted up for all to see drew all the people to him, to guide and protect them. As Jesus was lifted up he draws all believers to himself to guide them, but not in the physical sense but in the spiritual sense. In Philippians 2:8-9 Jesus is lifted by the cross and has ascended, now ha is exalted by God the Father, he draws all to himself.             

• 3 weeks later...

What does Jesus mean when he talks about being “lifted up.” Do you think Jesus means being “lifted up” literally or figuratively or both?

It is both literally and figuratively. Jesus talk of being lift up was refer initially to his being lift up on the cross (John 12:32-33) His words seems to have triple meaning, (1) being lifted up on the cross - death on the cross, (2) being raised or lifted up from the grave, and (3) being lifted up to heaven in the ascension.

“Extra credit”: How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:13?

Isaiah 52:13 (KJV)
13  Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high.

He shall be exalted - shall be raised

Philippians 2:8-9 (KJV)
8  And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
9  Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

Death of the cross (v8) and highly exalted him (v9) speaks also of Jesus being "lift up".

• 1 month later...

Q3. (John 12:32-33) What does Jesus mean when he talks about being "lifted up." Do you think Jesus means being "lifted up" literally or figuratively or both? "Extra credit": How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:13? How does it relate to Philippians 2:8-9?

Jesus says that it is his job to draw all the people to himself. The crowd could not believe what Jesus was saying about the Messiah. They were waving palm branches for a victorious Messiah who would set up a political, earthly kingdom that would never end. From their reading of certain Scriptures, they thought the Messiah would never die (Psalms 89:35, 36; 110:4; Isaiah 9:7). Other passages, however, showed that he would die (Isaiah 53:5-9). Jesus’ words did not mesh with their concept of the Messiah. First he had to suffer and die—then he would one day set up his eternal Kingdom.

Jesus was the sin bearing servant. He went through agony for our sake. He willingly died for us, that we might live. He lived the natural life as us and died on the cross for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (John 12:32-33) What does Jesus mean when he talks about being "lifted up." Do you think Jesus means being "lifted up" literally or figuratively or both? "Extra credit": How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:13? How does it relate to Philippians 2:8-9?

Jesus was lifted up on the cross to bear our sins and save our souls. Praise His Holy Name!

Jesus was lifted up from the grave to show the promise of eternity with Him for those who die to Him, as His disciples.

Jesus was lifted up to heaven, to show us where He is until He returns to bring about the final victory over sin and the evils of this world, led by the devil, who has no power over those who are surrendered to Christ.

LET US ALL DIGEST THIS DEEPLY. LET ME SURRENDER MORE DEEPLY

Philippians 2:8-9King James Version (KJV) And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

The servant King was to wash His disciples feet to remind them He came to server and save, not to judge. That will come later. It is my soul that crises out Hosanna, for my heart is often stuck in my old prideful ways when I was sure I knew God yet kept my 11th, 12th and 13th earthy commandments. Let me breath in this life and energy if God is willing, an send me out to tell the lost of His love, grace and mercy. Le me by humbled to exalt His Holy name.

• 3 months later...

What does Jesus mean when he talks about being "lifted up."  This particular passage refers to the son of man being lifted up on the cross to die.  But, He said, “And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself."  “Lifted up from the earth could also be referring His being lifted up from the earth (the grave) and it could also be referring to the final glorification of himself (His ascension).  Jesus was now going to heaven and he would draw men's hearts to him where he will sit as our judge at the right-hand of God.

Do you think Jesus means being "lifted up" literally or figuratively or both?  Both

How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:13?  How does it relate to Philippians 2:8-9?
Isaiah accurately prophesied Jesus’ death as the surrogate sacrifice for sin and the physical suffering leading up to and including the Crucifixion.  He also accurately describes the resurrection, ascension into heaven and Jesus ultimately sitting at the right hand of the Father.  Isaiah also correctly foretold the reverence for Christ Jesus that would come to pass after His ascension; “Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name. [Philippians 2:9]

• 3 years later...

I think that Jesus is talking about being “lifted up” to heaven. I think that Jesus was “lifted up” both literally and figuratively. I think that the phrase is almost a copy of what it says in Isaiah 52:13, In Philippians 2:8-9 not only does it say that he was exalted to the highest place but it also says that his name is above every name.

• 7 months later...

Q3. (John 12:32-33) What does Jesus mean when he talks about being “lifted up.” Do you think Jesus means being “lifted up” literally or figuratively or both? “Extra credit”: How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:13? How does it relate to Philippians 2:8-9? It means that He was to be lifted up literally and figuratively. It also meant that by what death He would die meaning the crucifixion. It relates to the crucifixion completely and states what the crucifixion will be like. It states how Jesus became completely humble to the point of death and took upon the cross and God chose to exalt Him after. 

• 2 years later...

Christ was giving a prophetic allusion to his mode of death, by what death, he was about to die. The lifting up on the Cross would be the salvation of multitudes.  Also this would also refer to Christ's Ascension. 

His lifting up is both Literal and figurative.  Apostle Paul wrote eloquently about Christ's Ascension in his letter to Ephesians.   His Ascension has wrought gifts and graces for his elect as evident throughout the Acts of the Apostles.   In the Epistle to the Hebrews,  Christ is our Joshua who has gone into the holiest of holies; we have access to the throne room.  We abide in the land of sabbath rest.   We are seated in heavenly places with Christ Jesus in the NOW.

This was God's plan--Isaiah 52:13 underscores that this exaltation would follow after humiliation, suffering, and obedience.  What a deep gold mine here! Apostle Paul was taught by God in regards to the enkenosis--complete self emptying of Christ's will to do his Father's bidding for Christ to be the Paschal Victim and the High Priest---all at the same time.  He was slain before the foundations of the world were lain down.   Hebrews 5:8-9 Christ became the Author of our eternal salvation after he suffered and offered strong crying and tears; including offering prayers and supplications.  Christ's priesthood is eternal; there will be eternal worship and eternal priesthood duties (Hebrews 5:6; 6:20; 7:3, 17, 21).

• 9 months later...

Q3. (John 12:32-33) What does Jesus mean when he talks about being "lifted up."

Do you think Jesus means being "lifted up" literally or figuratively or both?

How does this phrase relate to Isaiah 52:13?

He was referring to the manner of death He was going to die, viz., on the cross.

I do think both. On the cross, He would be nailed and the cross would be planted upright and He would be lifted high up for all to see Him.  That's physically but at the same time, a terribly humbling death, and yet from that He would be exalted to eventually sit at the right Hand of the Father.

Isaiah 52:13 speaks about the Messiah as the Servant being exalted.  Christ came by putting aside His equality with God and putting on as it were the garment of a servant, becoming a Man, who would be exalted and stand high.

In Philippians also it is reflected that Christ put aside His equality with God and put on the outward appearance of a man and the was obedient even unto the death of the cross.  God has exalted Him and given Him the Name above every other Name.

So all in all He will no longer be looked down upon but be looked up to, be honored.