JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

(John 12:42-43) When we are quiet about our relationship to God out of fear that people will criticize us, what does this say about our priorities? About whether we are true disciples? When Peter denied knowing Jesus in the High Priest’s courtyard, what was the effect in his life? 

A true disciple will never deny our Lord Jesus Christ even at the threat of death. Having said this, it is must be highlighted that many Christians have not been put in this position as our brothers and sisters are facing in many parts of the world. I wonder how many of us will be able to declare like Joshua - Choose for yourselves whom you will serve..., but as for me and my household we will serve the Lord. (Joshua 24:15) Peter wept bitterly when he denied Jesus three times as Jesus had said. It was reported in John 20:10 that the disciples went back to their homes, which seems to signify that they left the ministry and were in disarray after Jesus' death. 

When we are quiet about our relationship to God out of fear that people will criticize us, what does this say about our priorities?

Often it points to us not being out of the world.completely, although sometimes it is better to be quiet. Jesus said don't.fed.pearls to.swine and wipe the dust from your feet. Jesus often walked.away instead.of meeting confrontation. But in general it shows.that what people think is more important to us than what God sees in us.

About whether we are true disciples? It depends on the situation but in most.cases more.sanctification is needed.

When Peter denied knowing Jesus in the High Priest's courtyard, what was the effect in his life?

He cried bitterly, and later is.seems he lost.faith.when he.went.back to fishing

When we are quiet about our relationship to God out of fear that people will criticize us, what does this say about our priorities?

Often it points to us not being out of the world.completely, although sometimes it is better to be quiet. Jesus said don't.fed.pearls to.swine and wipe the dust from your feet. Jesus often walked.away instead.of meeting confrontation. But in general it shows.that what people think is more important to us than what God sees in us.

About whether we are true disciples? It depends on the situation but in most.cases more.sanctification is needed.

When Peter denied knowing Jesus in the High Priest's courtyard, what was the effect in his life?

He cried bitterly, and later is.seems he lost.faith.when he.went.back to fishing

When we hide our relationship with God out of fear of criticism and rejection we are revealing a concern over man’s opinion that is greater than one for God’s estimation.  Our priorities are self-protection and preservation.

I think every believer faces moments and situations where we battle such a fear, but I’d have to wonder about the authenticity of faith for someone who totally denies a belief in Christ.  A true follower of Christ will have the inner presence of Light that begins to break through and shine outwardly, and that Light can’t be forever hidden when the Spirit is at work within to develop spiritual fruit.  In those times when we deny and try to hide the Light of truth, believers suffer consequences of shame, regret, and broken fellowship with God.  Peter was overcome with grief and wept bitter tears when he realized how he had denied Jesus.  A genuine follower of Christ cannot flatly deny Him and maintain inner peace.

(John 12:42-43) When we are quiet about our relationship to God out of fear that people will criticize us, what does this say about our priorities? About whether we are true disciples? When Peter denied knowing Jesus in the High Priest’s courtyard, what was the effect in his life?           

• Our priorities are to man rather than God.  We are more concerned about being approved by our peers.
  • A true disciple is willing to glorify God.  We should not be afraid of what the world thinks and stand when trouble or persecution comes.
  • Peter was miserable.  He was overcome with grief and wept bitterly.

Q5. (John 12:42-43)

Q. When we are quiet about our relationship to God out of fear that people will criticize us, what does this say about our priorities?

A. It means that we prefer to get the praise of men instead of praise from God.

Q. About whether we are true disciples?

A.This may mean that we are not true disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Q. When Peter denied knowing Jesus in the High Priest's courtyard, what was the effect in his life?

A. He felt bitter and guilty about himself for denying his Lord and Saviour.

When we are quiet about God out of fear of others, it shows weakness.  Our priority should be God, not our fellow man.  We are not behaving like true disciples.  When Peter denied knowing Jesus he showed human fear.  Afterwards he was very distressed and remorseful and turned back very strongly indeed, so that he completely redeemed himself.

Q5. (John 12:42-43) When we are quiet about our relationship to God out of fear that people will criticize us, what does this say about our priorities?

It says we're bound by the fear of man, and we love our life while despising His presence and work in us.

About whether we are true disciples?

I believe there are many believers who are bound by satan, and keep their Christian life a secret, and are therefore ineffective in the kingdom....but who over time may become true disciples as they gain trust, deliverance and grow in their knowledge of His love for them, and their love for the Lord.

When Peter denied knowing Jesus in the High Priest’s courtyard, what was the effect in his life?

Shame, despair, and known throughout history for his cowardice....but that was BEFORE he was indwelt by the Holy Spirit....He became powerful after he became a Christian. (The disciples were just followers until Pentecost, then they became Christians)

Q5. (John 12:42-43) When we are quiet about our relationship to God out of fear that people will criticize us, what does this say about our priorities? About whether we are true disciples? When Peter denied knowing Jesus in the High Priest's courtyard, what was the effect in his life?

​To me for a while it speaks of immaturity, after a while it speaks of cowardiceness, and not wanting to have your boat rocked or your parade rained upon. Wanting to straddle the fence.

Sometimes I felt God wanted me to speak up and I didn't right away and the opportunity passed, others I felt I was to keep quiet.  Others I have spoken up right away.  I knew God put me there for a reason.  The times I have not  spoken up or listened to God's leading I have had to live with the sadness of it which I felt most sorely and would not have felt if I did not truly love the Lord.  I have learned it is best to obey God's leading without hesitation.

I am sorry for Peter, he lived with his denial of Christ  all  his life however I think it had the effect to spur him on greatly afterward and after to die a martyrs death for his Lord.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

One becoming a true believer it is very difficult to keep quiet about it. We are so fired up and full of enthusiasm for the Lord that we want to tell everybody about our acceptance of Christ as our Lord and Saviour, regardless of the consequences. We saw what the effect of denying Christ had on Peter – he weeps bitterly, profusely, sorrowfully, his heart being filled with genuine regret for what he has done. In the same way it is difficult for us to deny Christ once we fully realize what He has done for us!

Q5. (John 12:42-43) When we are quiet about our relationship to God out of fear that people will criticize us, what does this say about our priorities? About whether we are true disciples? When Peter denied knowing Jesus in the High Priest’s courtyard, what was the effect in his life?

I used to feel pressured about telling people about my faith in God. So when I belonged to young people's bible study group and also spent a couple of years at bible college, there was a great emphasis on sharing ones faith with other people. At that stage I was very young and still getting my life together, so in lots of ways I think I turned people away from Christianity because they could see some incongruence in my life.

Now, I trust that my life is a light and mostly wait for people to ask or enquire rather than push my faith on people. I suppose I am into lifestyle evangelism. However, in some situations  I wonder if I should have been more forthright in telling people about God or shared with them in a deeper way. In other situations God seemed to use me in spite of myself.

When Peter denied Christ, there was a period of intense sorrow and remorse over what he had done (Luke 22:62)..."he wept bitterly".

Lesson 22 question 5

These are tough questions for me. I like to be liked. My tendency is to clam up and it therefore takes a special effort for me to be faithful to my calling and to speak up. God help me.

I love the story of Peter's failure. It gives me hope and a new resolve - not to place my faith in myself but to depend on Christ in me. I think Peter was profoundly change by his public failing and even more by his reinstatement by the loving and gentle Jesus.

If we do not tell others our feeling about how we feel about Jesus then it would be to me we are afraid of how others will feel about us. I tell all that will listen what he has done for me which is the best testimony we can use. The Bible tells us that Jesus said if we are ashamed of him before his Father then he will be ashamed of us. 

Peter knew he messed up when everything happen that Jesus said would happen he wept bitterly. We should be more concerned much more about God's eternal acceptance than the temporary approval of other people.

Q5. (John 12:42-43) When we are quiet about our relationship to God out of fear that people will criticize us, what does this say about our priorities? About whether we are true disciples? When Peter denied knowing Jesus in the High Priest’s courtyard, what was the effect in his life?

When we are quite about our relationship with Christ around other people or our peers, we are afraid they will make fun of us for our belief or we would rather have the praise of man than that of God.

This of belief makes us to be shallow believers, we may believe in Christ but are afraid to follow him because we may love our sins more than the Lord.

When Peter denied Christ in the Court Yard the effect it had on him was devastating. At the time he loved Jesus but was afraid to be associated with him on account of persecution that they were receiving. He no doubt knew Jesus would be humiliated by the Sanhedrin, he perhaps did not know Jesus would be persecuted and hung on a cross. After the **** crowed he realized his wrong, he then realized how much Jesus loved him and how he failed Jesus. Peter repented of his act of not knowing Jesus and this caused Peter to weep bitterly.      

• 3 weeks later...

Fear of letting peole know of our relationship to God means we are not really a believer or a follower of God's word, he is not our priority.

True disciples are truly follower of God the Father through Jesus the Son. A true disciples will live like a tree standing tall declaring Jesus name and will bear fruits, the fruits of the spirit.

When Peter denied knowing Jesus in the High Priest’s courtyard, what was the effect in his life?

He was haunted by guilt and shame. He was sorry and it was a very good lesson for him and made his faith so deep and made Jesus his only priority in life.

• 1 month later...

Q5. (John 12:42-43) When we are quiet about our relationship to God out of fear that people will criticize us, what does this say about our priorities? About whether we are true disciples? When Peter denied knowing Jesus in the High Priest's courtyard, what was the effect in his life?

Along with those who refused to believe, many believed but refused to admit it. This is just as bad, and Jesus had strong words for such people (see Matthew 10:32, 33). People who will not take a stand for Jesus are afraid of rejection or ridicule. Many Jewish leaders wouldn’t admit to faith in Jesus because they feared excommunication from the synagogue (which was their livelihood) and loss of their prestigious place in the community. But the praise of others is fickle and short-lived. We should be much more concerned about God’s eternal acceptance than about the temporary approval of other people. Peter did not want to be associated with Jesus. Sometimes we live for people instead of following Jesus, regardless of the circumstance we need to die for the sake of the gospel

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus told Peter he would be the rock on which His church would be built. He also said Peter would deny Him three times. Jesus said "do you love me" three times, and Peter knew why. So the bible and its truthful stories are exciting and amazing as to what real human do, should do and don't do. I am a very human sinner and am in a hopeless state without my Jesus. Still, I hope and pray for the grace to trust Him more.

God knows us, and it is His will and destiny we can try to follow or really let go and follow. Its about trust, and life is an exciting mystery what might happen next. If we hang on to Him, and recognize anything can happen, and without Him, it might really hurt us... we have good reason to believe everything that happens is good for us. We will remain saved and ready to serve. According to God's plan for us.

We can judge others who deny Him when we are evangelizing, but what does this mean? Are we denying Jesus full control and causing those denying to be hardened, and to be sinning ourselves?

Who would give us the right to ask someone what they know about God? If they are saved? in a few sentences we can tell of Jesus' transforming impact on our lives. The rest is about them, and must be asked by the Holy Spirit, not from our own minds.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4, be prayed up and ready to witness and speak to their hearts with His love and inquisitive humble tone of voice.

We like Peter have denied God more than we would like to admit. But still, we are forgiven; so we can try to let Him lead us again, to His glory, for His Kingdom, what ever He puts in front of us. For Peter, denying His savior 3 times helped him recognize what he shamefully had to give up, his own fears. Does this sound familiar, yes I convict myself and confess oh  Lord, thy will be done not mine, on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.

• 3 months later...

… what does this say about our priorities? About discipleship?  We should always take great pleasure in the joy of knowing God's love by sharing that love with others.  By sharing Christ Jesus with others, your service has eternal meaning.  Jesus said that the most important command is to love and what better way to show someone that you love them than introducing them to Jesus.  As a disciple of Christ, the most important mission that He left us with is winning souls for Him, that should be our number-one priority and if we’re not doing that, our priorities need a major realignment.

What was the effect of his denial on Peter’s life?  Even though by the grace of God Peter was forgiven, I’m sure he still felt shame and regret over his public denial of Jesus.  His personal failings served to reinforce his understanding of the work Jesus had in store for him.  Because of God’s grace, he was able to transcend his personal weaknesses and rise above his shame and regret to “strengthen his brothers” just as Jesus had instructed to do in Luke 22:32.

• 3 years later...

When I am quiet about my relationship to God out of fear that people will criticize me, this is saying then I don’t have my priorities right. It is also saying that I am not a good disciple because I am supposed to spread the word. When Peter denied Jesus in the courtyard is made him feel sad that he did it and he didn’t recover from it until he admitted that Jesus is the messiah.

• 7 months later...

It says that our priorities are wrong and that we don't love the Lord as much as we say we do. It says that we are not truly His disciples when we are not willing to share our faith. When Peter denied the Lord he immediately cried after the rooster crowed three times. He also had to be reinstated as a disciple by the Lord as well. He was also questioned about His love for the Lord as well. 

• 2 years later...

Priorities are definitely defective.  A greatt deal of soul searching is needed.   As of today, a church denomination decided to allow pro abortion politicians to receive Holy Communion.   The leaders or "bishops" are more concerned on what the current trend is within their "good boys" club instead of taking a firm Bible stand on church discipline.

Many have a shallow and cynical view on life.   What a tragedy that those who witnessed the signs and miracles of Christ;they did not have self-denying devotedness.  They cared more about human applause than for the approbation of God.

Peter truly hit bottom.   Though he readily confessed wonderfull declarations; he betrayed Christ.  Peter had to come to the zero level so that God could a further work in his life.   Apostle Paul also had to come to that level of insufficiency.  The mystery of God's workings of grace.   The Prophets Ezekiel, Haggai and Zechariah knew very well that saying--"man's extremity is God's opportunity to do a miracle".   Though the walls of Jerusalem were in dissaray and their Captivity;  they were imbued with the grace of God to rebuild the altar and the walls of Jerusalem.   They did not have a superficial knowledge of God; they had truly deeply rooted heart-felt knowledge that God is truly Yahweh- Elohim -Adonai.  Apostle Paul had to let this sink into his bones as he tarred in the desert after his conversion; he didn't automatically traverse the world but carefully waited upon God for further enlightening.

• 9 months later...

What does this say about whether we are true disciples?

Our priorities are not right, we are more concerned to receive acknowledgement by man than to stand and maybe be persecuted for our beliefs.  If this does in no ways affect us, i.e., we do not feel deep remorse about our negative stand, then there is a big question about whether we are true disciples. After Peter had denied knowing Jesus, he was devastated and went out into the night sobbing in sorrow, for what he had done.