JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Exclusivity of Jesus' Way

• 2 months later...

(John 14:6d) Is it intolerant to believe that no one comes to God except through Jesus? How does Jesus’ death and resurrection atone for the sins of the Old Testament saints? Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that “No one comes to the Father but by me”?

He (Jesus) is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. (1 John 2:2) The "whole world" includes the Gentiles and the Old Testament saints. Their forgiveness was contingent upon what Jesus would do on the cross. It is not intolerant to believe that no one comes to God except through Jesus Christ. There are questions that do not have an answer. For example what about those people who have not heard about the Good news and died. Such questions would undoubtedly make some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that "no one comes to the Father except by me". Our job is to believe and have faith in Jesus and be obedient to His word. Jesus is that Narrow Gate. Jesus is that Narrow Road or Way. Exclusively! To get to our destination, the Father's House, we must follow him and him only. The reason Jesus is the exclusive way to God is because he is the Unique Son, the Only Begotten, the Co-Creator, the only one who has been given the authority to have life in himself.

Q3. (John 14:6d) Is it intolerant to believe that no one comes to God except through Jesus?

Truth is truth, regardless of whether one believes it or not. The one world religion which is in process right now, teaches that all exclusiveness in religion must be killed off....hence the increased persecution of Christians and Christian beliefs, and the pressure to embrace all religions and life styles as equal and acceptable...it requires that we all agree and think alike.

How does Jesus’ death and resurrection atone for the sins of the Old Testament saints?

Just as we look back to the Cross and Jesus' finished work and are saved, the Old Testament saints looked forward to the cross.

Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that “No one comes to the Father but by me”?

The world is applying tremendous pressure to squeeze Christians into its' mold. Common Core (core values of the unbelieving world) is taught in schools, the Universities have been taken over by the liberal agenda, television promotes the same....and some Christians are becoming desensitized to the truth in order to "go along and get along"  Statistics say that 90% of Christians have never read the entire Bible...if one doesn't know the truth, and know the Bible, the naysayers will destroy weak faith.

Is it intolerant to believe that no one comes to God except through Jesus?

No. God is sovereign and He is our Creator. He determined that Jesus is the way, and Jesus paid the price, thus we are double His. We can't instruct our Creator what we want Him to be and what He should instruct us to do.

We must play the game according to His rules.

How does Jesus' death and resurrection atone for the sins of the Old Testament saints?

He took all sins on.Themselves.

Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that "No one comes to the Father but by me"?

Rebellion and pride.

Q3. (John 14:6d) Is it intolerant to believe that no one comes to God except through Jesus? How does Jesus’ death and resurrection atone for the sins of the Old Testament saints? Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that “No one comes to the Father but by me”?

God made a way for all who will to come.  It is through Jesus.  It is not intolerant to believe that since it is open to all.  Rather those who reject it are more intolerant because they reject God's only begotten Son and choose their own path.

The Old Testament saints lived by faith the same as we do.

​When I accepted Christ as my Savior I had just come from the Middle East where I was for a few years.  I remember asking the lady I prayed with "but what about the 'people I had just left' ".  I had grown to love  the people in the country in which we resided and felt sadness and concern for them.  In that sense it made me uncomfortable but I was also rejoicing for me.  God made the way open for all and there will be some who choose to reject.  I am thankful to God for giving me a teachable spirit so that I might hear the Truth and listen.

We can absolutely trust God that He knows and cares and will do what is right and good.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q3. (John 14:6d)

Q.Is it intolerant to believe that no one comes to God except through Jesus?

A. No. God loved the whole world and sent Jesus His only Son to die for all. By believing in Him and accepting Him as Lord and Saviour, there is salvation.

Q. How does Jesus' death and resurrection atone for the sins of the Old Testament saints?

A. God made plans for salvation since the beginning of times and this covered the past and future generations. Paul reminded us that God, through nature and connciense made His unwritten code known so that no one has any escuse.

Q. Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that "No one comes to the Father but by me"?

A. The Christians who are uncomfotable about Jesus being the only way to the Father need to believe the word of God. This is a matter of spiritual facts that does NOT have to make sense. It is a matter of FAITH.

It does seem unfair on the surface.  However, God calls people in diverse ways.  It is only necessary to consider the conversion of St Paul, who was adamantly anti-Christ beforehand.  In the end it is up to those who are called how they respond.  I believe that Jesus’s actions had a timeless quality, because God takes no account of time.  It is absolutely just that those who were on earth before the birth of Christ should not be forgotten.  Their actions, good and bad, also hold them to account.  Some Christians are uncomfortable with the statement ‘No one comes to the Father but by me’ because it makes them responsible for teaching others, rather than just murmuring about a ‘personal faith’.  Sheer moral cowardice.

How does Jesus' death and resurrection atone for the sins of the Old Testament saints? 

Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that "No one comes to the Father but by me"?

No, it can never be intolerant for the simple reason that it is the truth! There is no other Saviour, or mediator between God and man, is taught throughout the New Testament. Therefore, no one can come to God in any other way, except through Christ. All the saints and prophets of the OT had taught, whoever believes in the name of the Messiah will receive forgiveness of sins. Therefore, Jesus’s death and resurrection has atoned for their sins. To be a true Christian one has to have a personal relationship with their Saviour Jesus Christ. They must know Him and not only know about Him. He has many times stated He is the only Way. If they do not believe the Word as stated that “no one comes to the Father but by me”, then I feel sorry for them in that they have been misled or they have a different Bible. I know some liberal theologians do lead people astray. This just goes to show that we have to be very careful of not being misled by some false doctrine. It means we have to study and meditate on the Scripture ourselves, and of course these Bible study courses that Dr Ralph so generously offers help tremendously to keep us on the right track. 

Q3. (John 14:6d) Is it intolerant to believe that no one comes to God except through Jesus? How does Jesus' death and resurrection atone for the sins of the Old Testament saints? Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that "No one comes to the Father but by me"?

The world is becoming less and less tolerant of the claim that Jesus is the only way to God. There is no way to eternal life or salvation except through embracing Jesus Christ and his word (8:42, Acts 4:12). This would be an intolerant and bigoted belief if Jesus had not said this, that he was the only way to the Father (6:14). Because he did we as his followers must believe it.

The old testament people of Israel were given the law and a covenant with God (Exodus 24). However because they were not able to obey all of the law all of the time, they had to sacrifice animals on the alter of the temple so that their sins were atoned for (Leviticus 1:7-9a). The sacrificial system of the old testament culminated in Jesus sacrifice on the cross (Ephesians 5:2, Hebrews 10:14).

Q3. (John 14:6d) Is it intolerant to believe that no one comes to God except through Jesus? How does Jesus’ death and resurrection atone for the sins of the Old Testament saints? Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that “No one comes to the Father but by me”?

It would be intolerant for us to believe or teach in the world today that Jesus is not the only way to God. Many believers, atheist and humanist are trying to persuade everyone that God does not exist or some teach that we can get to heaven by working our way there.

Jesus death and resurrection also atone for the Old Testament saints because they believed in the one true God and hoped for the resurrection of the dead. Prophets prophesied that one would come to bring peace and rule all nations forever. After Christ death those in the bosom of Abraham (a holding place for Old Testament saints) were released from there at the resurrection, as witnessed by many.

Some Christians maybe uncomfortable with the statement Jesus made "that no one comes to the Father except through Him" because today there are many religions that believe they are the only true congregation. Some  Christian denominations believe you must do extra work or penance to get to God. To have help by praying to a deceased one to get to heaven. And so, not all believers in Jesus, even though they are claiming to be believers, are not totally relying on Christ for their salvation.             

Lesson 24 Question 3

It is not intolerant to believe that no one can come to God except through Jesus. To believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father is simply to attest to what the Scriptures teach us is true. Yet, we are not to hate the unbeliever for even God loves the world - John 3:16 - yet even here there is the requirement that people believe and trust and receive this love from God. That is to say, that they must love back. When this happens we rejoice. When it doesn't happen we are saddened. But we have to be extremely careful here lest we take on the pride of personal achievement as the Pharisee praying in the temple.

The Old Testament saints were saved by their trust in God's gracious love through faith and by the effective and backward application of Jesus attoning sacrifice on the cross. 

The seeming exclusivity of the gospel,for me, is very uncomfortable. It raises so many questions about those seemingly good people who indeed do loving things and have a righteous conscience. It truly is a mystery along with the other paradoxes in the scriptures. What are we to do? We have to be obedient to Jesus' commands in the Great Commission and simply say we don't know what God will do but we trust that He will work it out. In the meantime, we know of the certain way of rescue revealed to us in the scriptures. This is what we must hold to and present to those who are perishing.

• 3 weeks later...

1. To me very intolerant if anyone believes any other way than that to get to the father is through Jesus is not a true believer.

2. His death atones for all the world dead or alive.

3.They  can't separate the two it is hard for people to believe that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost. it is hard for me but I believe the word and I know it is the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

To have the knowledge of wisdom to believe in Jesus as the way is a gift. It is by mercy and grace of God through Jesus the Light. So to be intolerant is being in the darknest and fall short of the glory of God.

How does Jesus’ death and resurrection atone for the sins of the Old Testament saints?

By believing in Yahwe and following his commandments and by hoping in the prophesy of the coming of the Messiah. Everyone who put their faith in God, Jesus saves them all.

Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that “No one comes to the Father but by me”?

The old natural of a person is still kicking and we need to pray hard always for them because they are like us still under processing.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (John 14:6d) Is it intolerant to believe that no one comes to God except through Jesus? How does Jesus' death and resurrection atone for the sins of the Old Testament saints? Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that "No one comes to the Father but by me"?

As the way, Jesus is our path to the Father. As the truth, he is the reality of all God’s promises. As the life, he joins his divine life to ours, both now and eternally.

In the OT, biblical faith was spoken of as a lifestyle path (Deuteronomy. 5:32-33; 31:29; Ps. 27:11; Isa. 35:8). The title of the early church was "the Way" (Acts 9:2; 19:9, 23; 24:14, 22). Jesus was emphasizing that He was and is the only way to God. This is the theological essence of John's Gospel! Lifestyle good works are an evidence of personal faith (Ephesians. 2:8-9, 10), not a means of righteousness.

The term "truth" in Greek philosophy had the connotation of "truth" versus "falsehood" or "reality" versus "illusion." However, these are Aramaic-speaking disciples who would have understood Jesus to be speaking in the OT sense of truth which was "faithfulness" or "loyalty. Both "truth" and "life" characterize "the way." The term "truth" is often used in John to describe divine activity

The life John to described the life of the new age. In the OT, a believer's lifestyle faith is spoken of as a path unto the life if we read (Ps. 16:11; Pro. 6:23; 10:17). All three of these terms are related to lifestyle faith which is found only in personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

What a shocking claim! It is very restrictive but also very obvious that Jesus believed that only through a personal relationship with Himself can one know God (cf. 1 John 5:10-12). This has often been called the exclusivist scandal of Christianity. There is no middle ground here. This statement is true Christianity 

• 1 month later...

It is better to find the most positive loving way to say how we will be saved, John 3:16 because it gives us all a focus on Jesus. To be Christian is to be a believer of Jesus. He is the center, He is our everything. There is no one else who can save, no one else who raised the dead, healed the lame and blind, no one else.

Anyone uncomfortable with this is still early on a walk with God, or already on the road to perdition. Also, the "bigness" of the value of eternal life is not easily grasped. But you can't buy this in a store and apply it to our skin or take like a pill. There is no other way. But knowing Him is to love Him, His ways, and His word, our only real truth in life. The rest is like TV commercials, sounds good but not really true in the long term, or in the moment. Heaven help us, thank you God for Jesus!

• 3 months later...

Is it intolerant to believe that no one comes to God except through Jesus?  No, absolutely not!  Jesus has the final word on this and He clearly said No one comes to the Father except through me.”  The Word of God is pure and He clearly tells us that Everyone will be judged by Christ Jesus on the last day.  To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.” (Titus 1:15)  It is not our place to interpret God’s words, all we can do is believe and obey.  Those who  have “minds and consciences that are corrupted” will most certainly be condemned.

How does Jesus' death and resurrection atone for the sins of the Old Testament saints?  Jesus is the atoning sacrifice for the sins of the world.  In the Old Testament as well as the New, God's expectations are exactly the same: absolute righteousness.  Meaning of course that ALL of mankind are commanded to live perfectly righteous lives according to His commandments in order to earn redemption.  The blood of Christ washed away the sins of mankind and delivers, through God’s grace, the righteousness that He requires.  Jesus Christ is the Messiah in whom the OT saints were promised.  He died for their sins as well as for ours in order to escape condemnation of the Law.  It is through their faith in The Living God, and the Messiah (Jesus Christ) that He promised to send, that the OT saints are saved and they too will be judged by Jesus Christ.

Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that "No one comes to the Father but by me"?  I don’t know why anyone who professes to be a Christian would be uncomfortable with that.  The truth is, if you are true, devout disciple of Christ Jesus, i.e., “Christian”, you certainly shouldn’t be ashamed or uncomfortable with anything He has to say.  Paul said in Romans 1:16, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes..."  If you are a Christian, meaning of course that you truly believe Jesus Christ to be the one true Son of The Living God then you must believe His words to be true (without personal interpretation).  Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ himself told us that the road to salvation is through Him and Him alone.  The truth is, salvation can’t be conferred by Papal absolution, it can’t be conferred by a Buddha, Mohammed or any other person or deity no matter how well intentioned.  It can’t be purchased by your money or your good deeds, nor can it to be acquired through any other religion known to mankind.  “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12)  There is absolutely, unequivocally no salvation except the salvation obtained through the grace of God through the blood of Jesus Christ.  Those, Christian and non-Christian alike, who believe otherwise should heed Paul’s words in his letter to the Philippians, “Their destiny is destruction… (Philippians 3:19)

• 2 months later...

In a way, I guess you could say that it is "intolerant" to believe that the only way to God is through Jesus, in the sense that God will not tolerate any other way.  But though the truth that God made a plan to save us at all is proof of His love, our culture certainly gives that word a negative, even hate-filled connotation.  We are not to take on such an attitude as we stand firmly for the truth. Truth isn't intolerant or bigoted; it is enduring reality and available to all.

Old Testament saints were accepted y Yahweh because of their faith, just as we are.  Chapter 11 of Hebrews records O.T. saints who pleased God, were commended by Him, and were considered righteous because they had a living faith in God and what He said.  They believed all that God had promised.  They lived and died by faith that God would bring all to pass just as He said, even though they might never see it themselves in their day.

Some Christians are uncomfortable with Jesus' declaration that no one comes to the Father but by Him.  This is a product of rampant political correctness that demands tolerance for every belief and life-style.  It is influenced by an unbalanced understanding of God's love that ignores His holiness and justice.  It is easier to disagree with Jesus than to accept things we cannot fully understand.  It is unnerving and frightening to stand for something that the world is so hostile about.  And so we find ourselves in an era when people claim that Yahweh and Allah are one and the same, just offering different paths to salvation.  This is not what the Son of God has declared.  He is the only Way, and praise God there is a way!

• 2 years later...

Yes, it is intolerant to believe that no one comes to God except through Jesus because that is the way it is. The Old Testament saints gave animal blood sacrifices to God for the atonement of their sins and Jesus consummated that by giving his own blood. I think that the reason that some Christians are uncomfortable with the saying “No one comes to the Father but by me” is because that isn’t politically correct and there for they will be laughed at.

• 7 months later...

No absolutely not. Not when there are pastors of megachurches bowing down to Allah and saying that Allah is way to heaven. The only way to heaven has been and always will be Jesus. The people of this world must realize that there is a time coming when every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. That means there is no other way to heaven. The OT saints gave animal sacrifices for their sins like Job did. However when Jesus died he paid for their sins and ours and took them out of Abram's bosom. I believe they are uncomfortable with it because they feel people will frown upon it and tell them to get with the program and change their view point. 

• 2 years later...

No it is not intolerant.  We have the clear words of divine Revelation.   This silences those who are Unitarian Universalists in name or in spirit.  Even within historical Christain churches have false teachings that all religions are equal.   There is a false ecumenism in many sectors today.

The OT saints were in the paradise section of Hades.   They were awaiting their full redemption because Christ was not yet crucified; Christ the Paschal Lamb of God was not offered. Prevenient graces were given to the OT saints prior to Christ's death and Resurrection.  Christ took away the keys of death and Hades from the devil (Revelation 1:18).

Those Christains that are uncomfortable with John 14:1-6 have a low esteem of God's Word and knowledge of the person and ministry of Jesus Christ.  Also they have deep problems with the sovereignty of God.  The founder of Jehovah Witnesses-Charles Russell and those of the Unitarian Universalists and New Thought movements---all couldn't comprehend Acts 4:12 and John's Gospel and Epistles.  Nominal or sincere but sincerely wrong Christains need to become astute Bible students.

• 9 months later...

Why are some Christians uncomfortable with the statement that "No one comes to the Father but by Me"?

The Scripture is quite clear about the fact that Jesus Christ is the only WAY to God.  The O.T. saints believed in the coming of the Messiah.  

If some believe differently , they clearly want their belief to make a way into heaven but the Word clearly teaches us that works are not what will get us saved. It is completely and utterly a Gift. Only through Christ and only because He paid the price.