JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. I and the Father are One

• 2 months later...

(John 14:1b, 6-11) In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God? How accurately does Jesus portray God’s actions and words? What does it mean that Jesus and the Father are one (John 10:30)? 

Trusting Jesus is the same as trusting God because Jesus said that "... the words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me..." (John 14:10-11) "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made." (John 1:1-3) Jesus is the Word, the Logos, the clear expression of the Father's words.

Q4. (John 14:1b, 6-11) In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God?

Trusting Jesus is trusting God....He is God. Jesus is the second person of the triune God....co-equal but with different responsibilities.

How accurately does Jesus portray God’s actions and words?

Perfectly! I remember as a baby Christian, that due to an abusive father, I wanted nothing to do with "the Father"...wouldn't pray to Him...only wanted to "deal with Jesus" Before long I realized that was skewed and asked Him to straighten out my thinking. It was with astonishment and joy when He led me to the scriptures "I and my Father are One", and "If you've seen me you've seen my Father", and "I only do what I see My Father is doing". (He's so gracious to teach us and to lead us into all truth)

What does it mean that Jesus and the Father are one (John 10:30)?

It means that they are equally God, and with the Holy Spirit. The three Persons of the God-head are mentioned in Genesis co-creating....the Holy Spirit brooded over the waters breathing life, and the 3 in 1  said "Let Us make man in our image"....and created 3 part beings. Body, soul and spirit. (man's spirit died at the fall of Adam, but is reborn at salvation when we receive the Holy Spirit and are in fellowship with God as was intended before the Fall)

(John 14:1b, 6-11) In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God? How accurately does Jesus portray God’s actions and words? What does it mean that Jesus and the Father are one (John 10:30)?          

• Trusting Jesus is the same as trusting God because He is in the Father and the Father is in him.  To know Jesus is to know the Father. 
  • Jesus portrays God actions and words perfectly because the Father works thru Jesus.
  • Jesus and the Father are one means He is God.  He is equal to God. 

Q4. (John 14:1b, 6-11) In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God? How accurately does Jesus portray God’s actions and words? What does it mean that Jesus and the Father are one (John 10:30)?

Trusting Jesus is the same as trusting God because Jesus is God.

Jesus portrays God's action and words perfectly because Jesus is God.

Jesus and the Father are one because they are both the one and only God.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q4. (John 14:1b, 6-11)

Q. In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God?

A. Because Jesus who is the Word is God

Q. How accurately does Jesus portray God's actions and words?

A. Through His word, the good works He did and the miracles He perfotmed.

Q. What does it mean that Jesus and the Father are one (John 10:30)?

A. They are one in mind, purpose, plan and fully blended but truly seperate. Hard to understand though. Help us Lord.

As God the Father and Son are one, we cannot have one without the other.  We cannot say we trust Jesus without also trusting God. Jesus says that the Father is speaking through him.  Therefore the actions and words of both are identical.  Jesus and the Father are one being, which divided to allow Jesus to take the form of a man, but is basically one.  It is very hard to explain clearly.

In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God? 

How accurately does Jesus portray God's actions and words? 

Jesus and The Father are one, therefore, we can trust Him fully, the same way we trust God the Father. Jesus reflects and obeys The Father’s actions and words. His actions and words are the actions and words of God. The Lord Jesus Christ is God in the fullest sense and is equal with the Father in every way. 

Q4. (John 14:1b, 6-11) In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God? How accurately does Jesus portray God's actions and words? What does it mean that Jesus and the Father are one (John 10:30)?

There are many scriptures that state that God the Father and Jesus are the same...”the Father is in me and I in the Father”...(John 10:38, John 14:10). Jesus and God are one in the same. Jesus is fully divine and fully human.

Q4. (John 14:1b, 6-11) In what sense is trusting in Jesus, the same as trusting in God, and what does it mean that Jesus and the Father are one (John 10:30)?

When we place our trust in the Messiah, we are really placing our trust in God the Father; Jesus said He was the way, the way that leads to “The Truth” and “The Life” (John 1:14) And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and “TRUTH” – (John 1:4) In Him was life; and the "LIFE" was the light of men.

(John 3:34) For He whom “GOD” has sent, speaks the words of GOD”: for God gives not the Spirit by measure unto him, thereby God the Father has turned all things into his hand, (except for the Father) so that they that believe on the Son has everlasting life: but he that does not believe on the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abides on him.

The Son being in subjection to God, it is thereby we are placing our trust in the Father, as we come to fully understand, the Son does nothing of Himself, but what the Father does, for the “Son and the Father” work in unity, as One.

Lesson 24 Question 4

When we trust in Jesus, we are trusting in the Father who sent him. Jesus is saying in John 14: 1 and verses 6 - 11  what was said about him in John 1: 1 ,that he is the Word who was with God and who is God. So when we trust and receive Jesus and believe what he says and believe in him we are believing in God. That is to say, we are believing in the one who sent him. these two together - the Father and the Son - with the Holy Spirit make up the Trinity - the Godhead. It is not possible to trust in Jesus without trusting in the Father who sent him and neither is it possible to trust in God the Father fully without the Son who came to reveal him fully.

Jesus can only portray God's actions and words because He is God. Jesus said that he can only do what the Father wishes because the Father lives within him - John 14: 10.

The Father and Jesus are one. Here again we are speaking of the mystery of the Trinity. Tim Keller described the Trinity as a three sided glass pyramid - the three sides representing the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  When you look at one side you can see the other two sides also and together they make the one God. This construct has helped me although like all attempts to reduce the mystery of the Trinity, it is bound to have its faults. Charles Williams, a contemporary and friend of CS Lewis used the word coinherence  to describe this.

Q4. (John 14:1b, 6-11) In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God? How accurately does Jesus portray God’s actions and words? What does it mean that Jesus and the Father are one (John 10:30)?

Trusting Jesus is the same as trusting God, because of the evidence Jesus gives us by his miracles, walking on water and calming the wind, healing the blind and lame and raising individuals from the dead, he also states that the Father is living in him and doing his work. Stated in John's gospel 1:1-3, that Jesus was the word, the word was with God from the beginning and all things that were created were created through him.

Jesus portrays God's actions by doing only what the Father tells him to do. Jesus said if you have seen me you have seen the Father.

To say Jesus and the Father are one is to know that Jesus came down from the Father, he did all that the Father commanded him to do. Gods witness that Jesus was His son starts out in the immaculate conception of Mary. The Father speaking from heaven that Jesus was his son in whom he was well pleased at his baptism, the transfiguration on the mountain and the Father telling the Apostles to listen to him and at last Jesus resurrection from the dead and his ascension in to heaven, witnessed by many.      

• 3 weeks later...

Whoever has seen me has seen the Father…I am in the Father and the Father is in Me.  Jesus is God who came to earth in human flesh as a man.  He spoke only the words the Father gave and did only the things that the Father directed.  So every word and deed of Jesus can be trusted because they are directly from God and they accurately portray God to mankind.  Jesus and the Father are not one Person, but are one essence and substance of nature, character, quality, power, and authority.  In an utter mystery to man, Father, Son, and Spirit are distinct yet together in union as one entity, the true and living God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q. In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God?

A. We can use a witness in order to be sure that we can really trust Jesus. (John 5:36, 10:37-38)

Q. How accurately does Jesus portray God’s actions and words?

A. see also (John 10:38, 7:16-17) Jesus did exactly what he was told.

Whatever Jesus is saying is the words of the Father and not just on his own. Whatever Jesus is doing is the work of the Father. There is no other person can do this that's why trusting him alone make sense.

A.

Verse 30. I and my Father are one. The word translated "one" is not in the masculine, but in the neuter gender. It expresses union, but not the precise nature of the union. It may express any union, and the particular kind intended is to be inferred from the connection. In the previous verse he had said that he and his Father were united in the same object-that is, in redeeming and preserving his people. It was this that gave occasion for this remark. Many interpreters have understood this as referring to union of design and of plan. The words may bear this construction. In this way they were understood by Erasmus, Calvin, Bucer, and others. Most of the Christian fathers understood them, however, as referring to the oneness or unity of nature between the Father and the Son; and that this was the design of Christ appears probable from the following considerations:

1st. The question in debate was not about his being united with the Father in plan and counsel, but in power. He affirmed that he was able to rescue and keep his people from all enemies, or that he had power superior to men and devils-that is, that he had supreme power over all creation. He affirmed the same of his Father. In this, therefore, they were united. But this was an attribute only of God, and they thus understood him as claiming equality to God in regard to omnipotence.

2nd. The Jews understood him as affirming his equality with God, for they took up stones to punish him for blasphemy (John 10:31,33), and they said to him that they understood him as affirming that he was God, John 10:33.

3rd. Jesus did not deny that it was his intention to be so understood. John 10:34, also on Matthew 10:35-37.

4th. He immediately made another declaration implying the same thing, leaving the same impression, and which they attempted to punish in the same manner, John 10:37-39. If Jesus had not intended so to be understood, it cannot be easily reconciled with moral honesty that he did not distinctly disavow that such was his intention. The Jews were well acquainted with their own language. They understood him in this manner, and he left this impression on their minds.

(*) "I and my father" John 17:11,22

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (John 14:1b, 6-11) In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God? How accurately does Jesus portray God's actions and words? What does it mean that Jesus and the Father are one (John 10:30)?

Jesus’ words show that the way to eternal life, though unseen, is secure—as secure as your trust in Jesus. He has already prepared the way to eternal life. This means to stop an act already in process. "Stop letting your hearts be troubled." Jesus' comments about leaving had caused great anxiety.

Jesus is the visible, tangible image of the invisible God.Whatever Jesus is doing it is the work of the Father. He is the complete revelation of what God is like. Jesus explained to Philip, who wanted to see the Father, that to know Jesus is to know God. The search for God, for truth and reality, ends in Christ

This is the clearest statement of Jesus’ divinity he ever made. Jesus and his Father are not the same person, but they are one in essence and nature. Thus, Jesus is not merely a good teacher—he is God. His claim to be God was unmistakable. The religious leaders wanted to kill him because their laws said that anyone claiming to be God should die. Nothing could persuade them that Jesus’ claim was true.

• 1 month later...

Jesus is God. It can be seen in His miracles and the way He talks to people. You can read it on His face. Jesus says He only says and does what God wants, His model is to follow God 100%, total surrender. This give Him God's power, but only can it be used for God's will.

As Jesus tells us to "remain in Him" in John 15. He himself is constantly remaining in the Father, So in humbling Himself to do God's will only, He is following His own principles.

Will we be giving all control to God by remaining in Jesus fully? The answer is yes. But it is easy and not easy to remain in Him.

This is how Jesus and the Father are one, one in the same.\. Easy to say, but oh so deep. A deep love and compassion to have saved us all by death on the cross.

• 3 months later...

In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God? How accurately does Jesus portray God's actions and words?  Trusting Jesus is exactly the same as trusting God in that He and the Father are one. (John 10:30)  He was given authority by God and speaks the Father’s words and the Father’s message.  "The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work." (John 14:10)

What does it mean that Jesus and the Father are one?  Jesus didn’t profess to be simply a messenger or prophet of God, He openly stated that His Father (God) had sent Him (John 10:36) and that he had the same redemptive power as God.  John 1:1 tells us in no uncertain terms that Jesus was with God in the beginning and that He was (is) God.  His words are an open acknowledgment that He… 1) was sent by the Father, 2) He had full authority to act on His behalf and 3) He has been with God from the very beginning.  The bottom line is that He is the Son of God, existing in perfect union and possessing the same power as God. 

• 1 month later...

Q4. (John 14:1b, 6-11) In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God?

Our Lord, Jesus is God walking and sharing among His creation..  Absolutely amazing:   Emmanuel --  God with us. He claimed to be equal with God ... ie the Sovereign Lord through his deed, his word, his teaching and miracles gave evidence of this.

How accurately does Jesus portray God’s actions and words? 

100% limited perhaps by the limitations that Jesus took on himself by becoming man.

Exactly wht He says:  This is evidence of 'The Trinity of God';  Father - Son - Holy Spirit ... perfectly one and in unity... one day in heaven I will understand it better.   : )

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Q4. (John 14:1b, 6-11) In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God? How accurately does Jesus portray God’s actions and words? What does it mean that Jesus and the Father are one (John 10:30)? When you trust Jesus; you are trusting God because He and Father are One. When he talks about God He does not stray from His character and the truth that He tells. Also He shows through His own actions what real forgiveness of sin is all about. When he forgave the adulteress he did not condemn her to death but chose to forgive her and told her to sin no more. He also healed the sick and raised the dead as well.  

• 2 years later...

As Christains we believe in one ousia and three hupostases---Holy Trinity.   Jesus Christ is one substance with the God the Father. Basil of Caesarera taught that hupostasis was synonymous with person.  As Bible believers we belive in one God in divine persons. We confess one essence or substance (ousia) but confess three hupostases. Council of Chalcedon stated that Christ Jesus' had two natures--human and divine--no separation without mixture nor change and complete unity.  This called hypostatic union.  Hupostasis is synonymous to prosopon "person".  There are three real and distinct substances in the Godhead.  All of the above is a summary of John 10:30.  

What a profound truth !  Christ's union with God the Father defies our complete undestanding;  the English language cannot convey completely this theological concept.  No wonder the Greek school of theology believed in the 'via negativa'.  Psuedo-Dionysius was the main theologian.

• 9 months later...

In what sense is trusting Jesus the same as trusting God?

How accurately does Jesus portray God's actions and words?

Firstly I would like to say that I completely accept the fact that The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit are ONE. I have no doubt about it at all. I have no qualms about accepting it either. To explain it is not so easy. The best is to say as the Scripture does and ask the Holy Spirit to do the explaining.

Because Jesus (The Son) and God (The Father) are ONE, trusting Jesus is the same as trusting God.

In the beginning was The Word, The Word was with God and the Word was God.  This says clearly enough that God and the Word are one and the same.  Jesus performed miracles as only God would. He spoke words to the natural elements and they obeyed.

Jesus does not do or say anything without the Father. They are ONE.