JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Courage Fails

Q2. (John 18:17-18, 25-27) What have been Peter’s acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest’s courtyard? Why do you think he ends up denying Jesus? How would you rebuke Peter according to Galatians 6:1b? Has your courage failed lately? What should you do about it?

• 1 month later...

Q2. (John 18:17-18, 25-27) What have been Peter's acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest's courtyard? Why do you think he ends up denying Jesus? How would you rebuke Peter according to Galatians 6:1b? Has your courage failed lately? What should you do about it?

Peter had the courage or misguidedness to try the sword at the arrest of Jesus.  He had a zeal for Christ  however he did not know himself yet and he did not understand the cleverness of the real enemy, Satan.  In the courtyard he was totally out of his element however he still went in.  Not wisely however I think he was just following the other disciple at this point who was more in his element with the people in the courtyard than the fisherman Peter.  Personally I believe that Peter was overwhelmed at this point and full of so many emotions and thoughts he did not know how to control.   And Peter was full of Peter at this point.  I like to say 'all about me' time.  I think if he had been given some space to process and think what was going on he might have bolstered up himself to at least speak the truth.  I think when he went into the courtyard he did not think that someone would connect him with Jesus and that he would deny the One he said he would die for when questioned.  Pride goeth before a downfall and on our own we are prone to that.  Peter did not have the benefit of the indwelling Holy Spirit at the time which is the only reason any of us have the courage to confess Christ in this world (in my opinion).  Also when we are tired we are prone to make mistakes and lose courage.  When Goliath taunted the army of Israel it was always when he knew they would be at their weakest.  And I want to say that Peter confessed his sin and turned around and spoke fearlessly for Christ later.

We should rebuke very very tenderly because we can just as easily be caught in the same sin, maybe already have been.

My courage has failed often.  Not so much recently however I don't always feel I am the person I would like to be.  I don't have the prayer life right now that I would like however I have been dealing with that and using my spare moments to be silent before the Lord on a more regular basis.  My priorities get  out of whack with lifestyle changes as I feel my way through the unfamiliar territory.  I feel an urgency and believe that prayer is our best weapon against the spiritual forces of darkness.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q2. (John 18:17-18, 25-27) What have been Peter’s acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest’s courtyard?

At the arrest of Jesus, Peter stepped up to protect Jesus with his sword, and cut off the ear of the high priest's servant. In the courtyard, he is "in the camp of the enemy" standing around with the servants and officers...where he could have been recognized and arrested for "being with Jesus."

Why do you think he ends up denying Jesus?

I love Peter! He's just like one of us (me)....a contradiction. Brave one minute and paralyzed by fear at another. I think he was just plain scared, as he heard the goings on inside, with the religious leaders attacking Jesus, and Who was not defending Himself. Since Peter didn't understand that Jesus must die, it may have seemed to him that the religious leaders were in power and the fight was lost...and he might be next.

How would you rebuke Peter according to Galatians 6:1b?

I see what is being asked here, but looking at Peter's situation, I'd have had to face him with his same lack of clarity and could not rebuke him. I'd have probably been huddled with him in fear by the fire...If I'd had the courage to go that far with him. Galatians  says "those who are spiritual should set him right and restore and reinstate him"....I love though that Jesus first restored Peter, privately, after His resurrection, rather than publicly, adding more sorrow and shame, before He appeared to the others. (Luke 24:34 The two whom Jesus had walked with on the road to Emmaus, reported back to the disciples and said "The Lord really has risen and has appeared to Simon Peter!) With Jesus' restoration, none else is  needed.

Has your courage failed lately? What should you do about it?

I've been plagued with anxiety and fear since early childhood, suffering beatings and death threats, verbal abuse and neglect from my parents....so my process is to work with the Lord as He leads to heal those wounds and "holes in my soul". This has been ongoing and we're making much progress. My mind is being renewed as I steep myself in His Word and spend time every day just soaking in His love and Presence. I've learned that He is trustworthy and faithful! I've also learned that babies are only born with 2 fears.... loud noises and falling. All other fears are learned, so they can be unlearned over time...I'm quite bold in sharing His love and the gospel message, for which I'm truly thankful!  He is truly the Lord Who heals!

(John 18:17-18, 25-27) What have been Peter’s acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest’s courtyard? Why do you think he ends up denying Jesus? How would you rebuke Peter according to Galatians 6:1b? Has your courage failed lately? What should you do about it? 

Peter's acts of courage:

- he cut off one of the guards' ears when they came to arrest Jesus

- he went into the courtyard with the guards who brought Jesus to Annas

Peter's flesh took over and his courage left him when he was questioned by the girl as to his association with Jesus.

Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. (Galatians 6:1) In this light, we could probably advised Peter to pray and ask God for forgiveness.

Q2. (John 18:17-18, 25-27) What have been Peter’s acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest’s courtyard? Why do you think he ends up denying Jesus? How would you rebuke Peter according to Galatians 6:1b? Has your courage failed lately? What should you do about it?

Peter's act of courage at the arrest of Jesus was to draw his sword, and try and defend Jesus, to prevent him from being arrested. The other act of courage was when Peter entered the high priests courtyard, with another disciple. This action was risky, as he could have been recognised as one of Jesus disciples-which he was. All the other disciples excluding the disciple he was with in the courtyard, had long since scattered for fear of their lives (Mark 14:27). Peter at least (along with the other disciple) was prepared to put his life on the line, for Jesus- to make an effort to save him from being crucified, or was he?  It may have been easier to try to defend Jesus at his arrest, when there were other disciples there, of like mind to support him. However in the courtyard he was alone with the other disciple, with no one else to back him-so when the servant girl confronted him by asking him if he was one of Jesus disciples. Peter replied... "I do not know him!" (Luke 22:57).

Sometimes I do not have the courage to admit to others, my faith in Jesus.

(John 18:17-18, 25-27) What have been Peter’s acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest’s courtyard? Why do you think he ends up denying Jesus? How would you rebuke Peter according to Galatians 6:1b? Has your courage failed lately? What should you do about it?     

• Peter's acts of courage is when he drew his sword to defend Jesus and when he entered the courtyard of the high priest.
  • Peter ends up denying Jesus because Jesus said he would. 
  • According to Galatians 6:1b, to rebuke Peter should be done gently and humbly to bring him back on the right path.  We must remember it is him today but may be us tomorrow.   
  • Yes, my courage has failed especially when I do not witness to someone when I know that they need Jesus.  But because of my relationship with Jesus I always know who to turn to for forgiveness and strength.

Q2. (John 18:17-18, 25-27) 

What have been Peter's acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest's courtyard? 

Has your courage failed lately? 

What should you do about it?

Peter showed his courage in wounding Malchus and in following Jesus and the guards; despite initially fleeing after Jesus’ arrest (Matthew 26:56). To have gone into the courtyard of the high priest with the possibility of being recognised and perhaps arrested was an act of braveness. To think Peter had witnessed Jesus’ miracles and had heard His teachings, I can only imagine His courage deserted him, and he ends up denying Jesus three times. From the other Gospels we know that Peter went out at this point and wept bitterly. Therefore, we know that Peter truly loved the Lord and it is not for us to judge him in his moment of weakness. Often, but then I pray and ask the Holy Spirit to give me the courage needed. 

Peter's act of courage when Jesus was arrested was an act to defend Jesus, showing he was willing to die for him. In the High Priest yard Peter mat have been intimidated by the surroundings and all the soldiers present. Because of this he ended up denying or admitting he knew Jesus at all.

Rebuking Peter according to Galatians 6:1b while he was in the court yard denying Jesus would be to gently restore him spiritually, least one's own self be tempted to fall.

Has my courage failed lately? Not to the point of being accused of a believer of Christ.

If I should fail in courage, I would no doubt feel as Peter did when he realized what he had just done, weeping and regretting the act of knowing the Savior. 

Lesson 30 Question 2

What have  been Peter's acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest's courtyard? Perhaps Peter wielding a sword and his entering into the courtyard of the accusers could be construed as courage. But I have always thought  sword incident was impulsivity and that the following into the courtyard "incognito" was more curiosity.

I think Peter denied Jesus at this point because of fearfulness. He was fearful of arrest.

Jesus rebuked Peter simply with his look. Probably it was a look of disappointment. Peter was jarred back by the look and wept bitterly. At this point, Peter needed assurance of Jesus continuing  love. One could offer this assurance by gently reminding Peter of Jesus love - but not by minimizing the seriousness of the offense.

I too, like Peter, have not been as courageous as I should. I must confess this and the underlying lack of trust in Jesus that it entails. I must pray for Jesus Christ's forgiveness and must lean on the promises of forgiveness as stated 1John 5: 9. I then must pray for more courage, trusting that he will supply it.

Q2. (John 18:17-18, 25-27) What have been Peter's acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest's courtyard?    

Peter's acts of courage had been confronting the arresting team by slicing of the ear of one of them. another act of courage was following Jesus along to the Chief Priest place even though at a distance.

He ended up denying Jesus because of fear of being arrested too (I think).

I will not rebuke Peter because I am not sure I would have done better.

Has your courage failed lately?

My courage fails from time to time.

What should you do about it?

I need to ask God to help out given His word that he has not given me the spirit of fear but of power, love and sound mind. 2 Timothy 1.7

Peter’s acts of courage were to try to physically defend Jesus when he was arrested and then to follow after Jesus even into the place where Jesus was being interrogated at the risk of being treated similarly.  I think he ended up denying Jesus because his courage deserted him when he was actually in that position.  I would be very sympathetic and try to help him regain his courage.  A couple of years ago, when I was in the Islamic part of Sudan, the security police were starting to make their presence felt towards me.  I panicked.  My reaction was to phone the priest at the church I was supporting.  He is wonderfully courageous himself and helped me simply by saying, ‘Courage, Rebecca.  Courage.’  He definitely had (and has) the gift of the spirit of gentleness mentioned in Galatians 6:1.  So my advice to anyone is ‘phone a good friend’.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (John 18:17-18, 25-27) What have been Peter's acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest's courtyard? Why do you think he ends up denying Jesus? How would you rebuke Peter according to Galatians 6:1b? Has your courage failed lately? What should you do about it?

I cannot imagine I would have followed like Peter, because I know the full story of the next 43 days.

If he was there with the other disciple, was he afraid because he had violently cut on of the troop who arrested Jesus. He for sure should have been arrested that night but by God's grace and plan for the 11, he was spared.

Yes, my courage fails regularly, especially when I get up and walk wobbly. But that is my problem and it is indeed God's call to slow me down and bend my will to His. And I hope and pray forever, as long as I live. To Him be the Glory.

More prayer, more praising God, slowing down and seeking His will and digesting His Word more deeply, digesting what Jesus did for me and for you. But how I could have done it for me, considering my wavering ADD mind, God's love is amazing.

The other disciple is probably John, the author of this Gospel. He knew the high priest and identified himself to the woman at the door. Because of his connections, John got himself and Peter into the courtyard. But Peter refused to identify himself as Jesus’ follower. Peter’s experiences in the next few hours would change his life.

No Christian should ever think that he or she is totally independent and doesn’t need help from others, and no one should feel excused from the task of helping others. The body of Christ—the church—functions only when the members work together for the common good. Do you know someone who needs help? Is there a Christian brother or sister who needs correction or encouragement? Humbly and gently reach out to that person.

I have always taken and strengthened by Gods word Deuteronomy 20 v 1 “When you go out to fight your enemies and you face horses and chariots and an army greater than your own, do not be afraid. The Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, is with you! 

2 Kings 6 v 16 - 17 “Don’t be afraid!” Elisha told him. “For there are more on our side than on theirs!” 17 Then Elisha prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!” The Lord opened the young man’s eyes, and when he looked up, he saw that the hillside around Elisha was filled with horses and chariots of fire.

The Peter here seems a lot like me, lots of brave words, but then a little later, my mind goes off into an ADHD cloud of wandering.  Peter was afraid of what he might get if he confessed. He had gotten caught up in something where I couldn't deal with the situation and so he lied.

How could I rebuke Peter, a great saint and disciple of Jesus? I've found myself caught up in other lies, and other self centered fears concerning important  life events. My ego takes over and lies for me, I'm used to praying later and saying, I don't want to live like this, I'm so sorry.  And to make matters worse, I admit it over and over. I do repent, sometimes with tears.

Praying all the time is a solution I need to develop as a "best habit." Oh Lord please hear my prayer; I want to be better at "remaining in you, Lord" I am helpless but seem to fall so many times over the same set of things. Self-reliance out the window, please Holy Spirit, teach me to notice my state, and pray more in these moments; in Jesus name, amen.

• 1 month later...

It is good to recognize that Peter did have courage, a truly admirable quality. But he didn't always have it under control. He had some history of being a bit rash at times, letting emotions rule, and not thinking things all the way through before acting. This may have been one of those times. It certainly took courage to step out and take action to defend Jesus in the garden.  It took courage to follow Jesus as He was arrested and taken away by powerful people who meant harm. It took courage to wait alone when he was refused entry to the high priest's courtyard but “the other disciple” was allowed to go in with Jesus. It took courage to hang out by the fire with the officials, and I can understand that desire to know what's going on. But in all this, Peter had placed himself in a position he wasn't yet prepared for. He wasn't ready to defend his faith when questioned. He wasn't prepared to calm the overwhelm of emotion.  He wasn't strengthened in spirit to stand securely in truth when faced with real danger. He trusted in his own courage, his own strength, his own understanding. And he found that they were not enough to overcome his own fear, which I think, along with no recognition of his own weaknesses, is the reason he ended up denying Jesus.

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Peter didn't need a harsh rebuke, and Jesus didn't beat him down with one. It's a hard place to be when you've been betrayed, but Galatians 1:6 gives 3 guidelines. First, put your spiritual nature in charge. Christ in you is the only way you can rightly face and deal with the wrong and hurt. Second, focus on the desired outcome of restoration. That's always the Lord's primary focus, and it should be ours. Third, maintain a gentle spirit. An arrogant, judgmental, or legalistic attitude always makes things worse. It destroys restoration, relationships, and people. And it doesn't display the defining characteristic of Christian behavior, which is that of love.

When our own courage fails us, the realization of it is a miserable feeling. According to 1John 1:9, we need to immediately confess it to the Lord. Then the hardest part is accepting His forgiveness, learning from it, and moving forward. One of the great lessons of our own personal failures is compassion, humility, and mercy toward others when they fail and repent. It's supposed to be all about restoration – all the way around. I fail in this, as we all do. I speak when I shouldn't and don't speak when I should. Staying close in the Word, prayer and fellowship with the Spirit is the key for me.

• 3 years later...

Peter’s acts of courage at the arrest was that he drew his sword and was about to fight off those that were after Jesus. In the priest’s courtyard it just took courage to in into the enemy’s territory. I think that Peter denying Jesus was so that he could stay close to Jesus for incase he was needed. I would rebuke Peter with gentleness. My courage does fail me sometimes. The only thing I can do is go to Jesus for courage.

• 8 months later...

His acts of courage were drawing the sword to fight off the people who were going to arrest Jesus, following Jesus into courtyard. I believe it dealt with fear. I would rebuke Peter with gentleness and tell him that he needs to be in the word and also realize he can't let his emotions rule over him.

• 1 year later...

1.    What have been Peter's acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest's courtyard? I don’t know if Peter is courageous or he is just acting out his impulsive nature.

2.     Why do you think he ends up denying Jesus? Jesus knew Peter’s nature just as He knew that it would be only Peter and John (most probably) who would come along. So Peter’s denial is a prophetic testimony that Jesus would use to further mold the “rock” to play a leadership role after the ascension.

3.     How would you rebuke Peter according to Galatians 6:1b? I would humbly reach out to Peter while clinging to the Holy Spirit to ensure that I do not fall into the temptation of feeling more righteous than him.

4.     Has your courage failed lately? Yes it has.

5.      What should you do about it? It’s difficult because it concerns confronting my wife about certain aspects and I prefer to remain silent to maintain peace. I’ll just keep praying.

• 1 year later...

.,Peter's acts of courage consisted of cutting off the ear of the servant and entering the court of Annas.  By entering the court, Peter took some risk of being charged of cutting of the earth of the servant; that was deemed a very serious crime. Whatever courage Peter had, it wasn't stable.

His first denial was most sparked by the thought that he would end up in a bad predicament.   A sense of sheer panic must have overwhelmed him as he was warming himself by the fire.   Whatever courage he had--must have vanished quickly.

We must not exalt ourselves as being above the same fall.  We are to sympathize, and to show love and mercy.  We are to fulfill the law of Christ.

My courage has been good here in NYC.  Outdoor preaching has been a challenge during this dangerous era.   By the grace of God,  I have been given great graces to proclaim the unadulterated Word of God on public streets.

• 8 months later...

What have been Peter's acts of courage at the arrest and in the high priest's courtyard?  Peter was the one who drew a sword and cut off the ear of the high priest's servant, when the crowd came to arrest Jesus in the Garden.  This took courage. They were vastly outnumbered, in what was visible,  including unseen forces this was of course not so. They were just not allowed to do anything as Jesus came for exactly that purpose, to die for mankind. 

In the high priest's courtyard, Peter was at first excluded, but the unnamed disciple saw to it that he could enter.  This itself was a brave act . The fact that he then went and warmed himself around the same fire where the officers were standing, was surely even braver,

Why do you think he ends up denying Jesus?  He was no longer thinking straight , he was tired and terrified.  

How would you rebuke Peter according to Galatians 6:1b?   In a spirit of gentleness and not superiority, for there but for the grace of God, go I.

Has your courage failed lately? What should you do about it?   When it does happen  I am to turn back where I failed, ask God's forgiveness and accept it and walk on with Him as my guide and encourager.