JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Value

Q4. (1:18-19) Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you? What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? What are your true long-term investments? Why?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never felt of "no value"; but before salvation I have felt "of little value." But 1 Peter 1:18-19 says that a sinless Christ was willing to take my sin and give his life to purchase me and rescue me from my own destruction. That he considers me of greater value than anything on this earth by giving his life shows his great love for me and shows me how precious souls are in his sight. I cannot comprehend what eternal life with God will be like but I know that it will far outweight any temporal things here on this earth.

Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you? What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? What are your true long-term investments? Why?

I can't say that I have ever felt I have no worth or value, however I'm not so sure these feelings spring from a godly point of view. 1 Peter 1:18-19 tells me that I am worth more than what our society holds dearest. It tells me that God loves me dearly, that the ransom paid for me was the spotless Son of God, who had no sin in Him. And this has nothing to do with financial worth. This ransom was paid so I could be saved. That makes me very valuable to God. If I am worth more than what society holds dearest then the only long term investment which has any meaning is salvation for which Jesus was offered as the ransom.

One of the reasons people give for not turning to God is that "God wouldn't want them" - somehow they are unacceptable, unable to be loved by God. They often feel they have little or no value in God's eyes. I pray that we, the Church, haven't given that impression to them.

God demonstrates His love for us in this - while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. He paid the highest price for us! We are so valuable to Him. We are so loved by Him. When I first began to understand this, my entire way of thinking started to shift. Even now, things and ideas I once held in high esteem continue to FALL AWAY as I learn to love what God loves.

I have on many occasions been made to feel worthless to certain people who were important in my life. However I could never really accept that valuation of me. I think I have to thank my Baptist Sunday School (we left the district when I was ten) for giving me enough faith to last until, at the age of eighteen, I met and surrendered, with almost blinding (as in when the sun shines so brightly it blinds you) hope and joy, to Jesus.

The Blood of Jesus was a totally inestimable value to place on me. At a prayer meeting once, Jesus said to me, "You are worth everything I suffered for you".

God's love for me has no horizon. "If He gave us His only Son, will He not also with him freely give us all things?"

My balance sheet and financial assets are neutral things and do not impress God.

The only things I can take to heaven with me are other people. People are worth the Blood of Jesus and greatly to be prized. We should always invest heavily in people. This is the mind of Christ.

Yes!

Redeemed by the PRECIOUS BLOOD of Christ not by the currency of man.

God paid the highest price that could be paid; by the blood of His only begotten; by His own blood.

Sin has been wiped clean from my ledger. Now I'm a child of God for eternity.

I've been set free from the bondage of sin, ie I was a slave to sin and eternal damnation, but I am now free to serve Him.

What a privilege and wonderful opportunity. The Son now shines upon my life and darkness no longer takes control of my existence.

I can't say that I ever felt I was without value...but now that I am writing, memories do come to mind of feelings of insecurity. I'm self employed, and if business is slow for more than a week or two, I begin to wonder what I have done wrong. That is what's happening now, as a matter of fact. January is always slow. Just this morning, after reading over this part of the lesson, and sitting quietly in prayer, my first thought was to ask the Lord to envigorate my business. Before the thought could fully form though, a stronger impulse overcame me to simply give thanks for Jesus' sacrifice, and the fact that we are all ransomed with the blood of Christ, which is more precious than this world's most precious metals and that what is most secure is to simply put my trust in the Father to guide my days and and to trust the work that I have been given to do.

At one point in my life I must have thought I wasn't worth much because I didn't care. I didn't care about anything. I didn't care where my heart was. I don't think I even cared what anyone thought or what the world expected out of me. But I wouldn't have ever admitted that I thought I wasn't worth anything at that time because even I didn't know what I really thought. That's a lot of not caring!! There was a definate end to that life and the life I have now in Jesus Christ. It took tragic circumstances beyond all bad things that have ever happened to me my whole life. I know that I am worth more than anything to God because Jesus died for me and when things were about as bad as they could be He came to find me. He convinced me I was worth more than all this uncaring and that He didn't want me to die with that attitude. That is a profound and personal experience to realize that you are worth more than you could ever imagine. Gods' love is way beyond my understanding and that renders everything of this world totally invaluable. "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also". Matthew 6:19-21. Jesus was a people person, He served, He serves and we serve. Now people are important to me. The people who are around me everyday are important to me. You are important to me. If God gives me a little place to work, I'm happy. That is true treasure. If I'm working for God then that is the best investment I can make. My heart is with Jesus today and He wants me to work for Him.

Q4. (1:18-19) Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you? What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? What are your true long-term investments? Why?

I have indeed felt worthless and of no value. However from 1 Peter 1:18-19 I learn that I have great worth and value to God in-so-much-that He would come and die in my stead. He would bear the punishment of my sin. What value could we put upon the life of a man? But yet God Himself shed His blood for me, what infinite love! This is why our praise and worship (worth-ship) will go on for eternity, we will never tire of worshipping our loving Father.

This certainly makes our assets in this world seem corrupt and contemptible. Who cares about these things in the light of what we have in Christ. They serve only as an means to serve Him more, to bring glory to His name.

My true longterm investments are those things which are eternal, they are not seen 2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen [are] temporal; but the things which are not seen [are] eternal. Since the value of a soul is so valuable to God, should it not be so with me? Christ's investment in the souls of men earned Him a name above every name. My investment in the souls or men is of great value to God. Ultimately that is what all our investment of time and energy in the kingdom of God is for, bringing souls into the kingdom of God, rescuing them from death.

Sure. 1 Peter 1:18-19 says I was redeemed from this life and bought by his precious blood. I am of great worth to God and his love for me is everlasting. He who was sinless paid for my sins with his life. He was willing to die in my place. Now thats love that no one else can give me. Material things have no long term value, you can't take them with you when you enter eternity. Living for Christ and doing his will is what I am working towards. I want to be able to stand before my father and have him say well done good and faithful servant.

Q4. (1:18-19) Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value?

Because of certain circumstances in the past, I did feel like I had no value. Thankfully, because I finally realized how much Jesus loved me, and realized the price that He paid so I could be saved, I no longer have that feeling of being worthless and of no value.

What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth?

God thought I was valuable and worthy enough that He paid the price for my redemption and set me free from my sins; not by silver or gold, but by the blood of His Son, Jesus Christ.

What does it say about God's love for you?

That He loved me so much that he sacrificed his only Son, for me.

What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets?

That anything of financial or worldly value is perishable. The only thing that is eternal is His love for me, and my salvation.

What are your true long-term investments? Why?

My salvation, and my eternal life spent with my God. Worldly valuables are temporary and of this world, my salvation is eternal. Praise the Lord!

'Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you? What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? What are your true long-term investments? Why?'

Have I ever felt of no value..I would have to say yes; Before coming to the Lord almost 24 yrs ago, I can honestly say I don't feel I had much value..

But Praise be to God, I do now! :lol: I am worth more than silver or gold, to my Father in Heaven; God loved me so much, he allowed me to go my own wicked way for 32 years; Until I realized how much I wanted and needed Him. He opened my eyes, to the wonders of His Son Jesus...just in time.

He did not use tradition of man, to do this, nor the law...but showed unto me, His grace and mercy.

Anything and everything, 'stored up' on this earth is worthless, and will be useless in Gods Kingdom...my soon to be home.

Only those treasures stored up by me in Heaven, will matter then.

All else will have passed away.

Gold and silver can be corrupted..but not the precious Blood of my Saviour; It is life giving, life sustaining, and forever.

There was indeed a time when I felt of little or no worth. However I have come to see that in the eyes of God I am of inestimable value. I asked Jesus how much He loved me and He spred his arms out on a cross and said, "This much".

"Oh How Wonderful Is My Saviours Love For Me"

I'm goin' to heaven and I want to take my friends and loved ones with me. What is my treasure? Its them!

Yes many times i have felt of little worth or no value.

If we dedicate ourselves to God, (even if we don't) his grace is with us, He will help guide usto work in his service no matter how lowly we may feel our worth.

No matter how unworthy I may feel God is there to love me.

My worldly wealth means nothing. What counts is how I can love and help my naeighbour, try to live a spiritual life, serve my Master is all that matters.

My true long term investment is that we have been cleansed by the blood of Christ. I can talk freely and prayerfully to God. Being able to worship freely . Hopefully I can get away from some of my sins and that I can look at my neighgbour and see the face of God.

Have you ever felt you were of no worth or value?

Yes, before I was aware of the love of Jesus for me. I had very low self esteem and at times didn't think it mattered that I lived or died.

What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you.

More than silver and gold! And not perishable, but eternal. Purchased with a price, the precious blood of the Lamb.

What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets?

You can take it with you! Things of this world mean very little.

What are your true long term investments? Why?

People:Family members... wife, children, grand children, friends and strangers alike. People are the only ones that will have the opportunity to see in Heaven.

I have ofen tried to measure myself in terms of worth, and always come up wanting. Satan has placed spiritual landmines everywhere. He revels in watching us beat ourselves up. I often succumb to the sins of the flesh, only to fell worthless later.

God cares enough about us that he sent his only son to face the torment, torture, tease and terror that vile man could inflict on him. We should care enough about ourselves to want to be purified by the blood of the Lamb.

All that we own will one day become worthless someday. Being in this world, but not "of" this world, we should put all of our stock in the Lord. We should pray without ceasing to have divine guidance as we try to be obedient servants of the Master.

There are only two possibilities after my life on this world comes to an end. I know what choice I will make. I pray for the shelter of the Lord, while the storms gather.

I cannot say that I have ever felt "of no worth" to anyone. I always felt loved and important.

I would like to bring up the fact that my worth as a believer, is not out of self. My worth as a believer rests totally and completely in the gift of salvation and in my identity in Christ. I in myself am not as valuable as gold or silver, and indeed, Peter describes my former way of life as empty, futile, without purpose or meaning.

When Christ redeemed me (bought out of a slave market), I was no longer the slave of sin. Instead, I became the bondslave of Christ. My life without Him is meaningless... I have no eternal value apart from Christ. It is the blood of Christ that is imperishable, and precious, not anything in myself.

Knowing that I have been redeemed with the precious blood of Christ makes me respond in praise and worship, makes me bow the knee all the more in thankfulness that I can even stand before a pure and holy God. It makes me eternally grateful for the amazing sacrifice and gift of Christ's salvation that He has worked in me.

As I was growing up in my abusive home, my dad called me 3 things. Ugly, Stupid, and Whore. We have all learned the damage "words" can do to another human being, (James 3:5-7) and especially when a father speaks these words into the life of his young daughter. I was only 9 when it began, I left home at 14. But it took me 30 years to get over those words and there are times I still feel the affects of them. But God has so graciously loved me and healed me. He made me a promise and told me He would "give me back the years the locust has eaten" (Joel 2:25) and He has.

To God, I am worth everything, because He paid for me with His Precious Life. I am bought and paid for and my long term investments will not be of this world, for my citizenship is not of this world, God is my Father and my home is in Heaven. So my investments are to live a life of love for Him. And spend my time here loving others and living a life that honors, gives praise, and worships Him in all I do. I truly want my life here to bring Him glory and to bring others to Him.

Love to you all,

Patsy in Idaho

No, I have not felt that I was worthless or of no value. I was raised to feel that I am somebody no matter what may come my way. 1 Peter 1:18-19 says that we were not redeemed by perishable things but by the precious blood of Jesus Christ. This says that God loved us so that Jesus Christ, His son, paid the price for us by shedding His blood on the cross. This indicates that we are wealthy beyond belief. What we have in Christ Jesus is worth more than silver or gold. My long term investment is to live for Christ. There is no greater joy, peace, love, or excitment to know Him or to live for Him. When you know Jesus there is peace of mind.

For one to feel you were of no worth or of no value is because of the depending on people,and things of this world.There has been a time when I even felt I was a failure.Nothing I did was of any value..It is so hard to please people.You want a loving responce,a feeling of thankfulness in what you do.But in the long run we know we suffer from ways of life."We learn".

Our value is not through people,so we are not a slave of people.God redeemed us from sin,not with money but by the precious blood of his own Son,Jesus Christ.So Gods love for us goes far beyond any worth or value of ones self of what we have ever felt or thought.

:) Invest in everything God had planned for us,which is greater than anything we could ever imagine.God is our source of everything in our life.

Our safety and security are in God.Amen

Q4. (1:18-19) Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value?

As a young person, I had very little self-esteem or self-worth until I received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and realized what it means to be one of God's children.

However, even after becoming a Christian, I have allowed people to make me feel that I was not as "good" as them, but then I would remind myself that God loves me more than anyone else possibly could, so that gives me a great deal of self-confidence.

What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth?

That I am worth more than silver or gold, and God was willing to ransom me from sin because I was helpless to escape from sin on my own.

What does it say about God's love for you?

God loved me so much that He was willing for His precious Son to shed His blood in order to save me from my sin.

Our financial assets will one day be worthless to us, and only what we have done for Christ will matter. We should be good stewards of His money while we are here, but not to make it our primary focus.

What are your true long-term investments? Why?

Living a life that is pleasing to God because He is all the world to me. And I hope that I will be able to have a part in winning more souls to Christ. Why? Because He tells us to go and make disciples, so that His Word can be spread everywhere and more souls will be won for Him.

Have you ever felt you were of no worth or of no value? What does 1 Peter 1:18-19 say about your worth? What does it say about God's love for you? What does it indicate about the long-term value of your balance sheet and financial assets? What are your true long-term investments? Why?

Worth...Did I cost something? Depends who you ask. My mother would tell you I was woth enough to go through 18 hours of labor and so it goes with others in my life. I was worth enough that people spent time and effort on me and I have recognized that from an early age. I alwasy felt some sense of worth.

Value...Did I feel valuable enough to be good at soemthing or used in some way to get something for myself or others. Most all people would find some type of value of you. See value to get what they wanted from you. So yes I new I had value, whether it be good or bad.

Precious..I believe that my mother was the only one who consider me precious.

God's words here tell me that there is nothing in His sight that is of more worth, of more value then me. That because of who He is and for what I was created for, He paid a great ransom for me. A ransom that could only be paid by HIM. He knew before hand that the life that was waiting for me here at this time and place was one of emptiness and sorrow, lonliness and despair, pain and suffering, want and deprivation and the lists goes on and on. He wanted to do away with all these lists in my life and He did it for me by calling me by name and making a way for me to be His and His alone through Christ's death on the cross. He wanted so much to share with me all that He has to share and to bestow upon me, His List of blessings and that I might be called a son of God, a friend of of the One(John 15:15), the One who God made to be sin so that in Him I might become the righteousness of God (2 Cor. 5:21). Because of my sinful nature, my desire and chasing after things of no worth or value in His Kingdom, God saw me as only He can see me. A prodigal that did not know his way, a lost sheep that had no shepherd, a man without purpose or home. HE showed me HIS love by the taking the beatings I deserved, the shedding of the only blood that was not tainted and the giving of His life. "Greater love has no one then this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13) Part of this greater love is in that He has allowed us to live so that he can show it to us daily. Amen and Amen.

Part 4 of this question reminds me of a joke that gives us a glimpse of this.

A man died very unexpectedly and was standing before St. Peter. He started complaining about his unexpected death and was begging St. Peter to let him go back to earth to bring his most valuable posession to heaven with him. St. Peter told him that there would be no earthly thing allowed in heaven. The man was very upset and kept beggin and whinning to St. Peter until Peter could no longer stand it. He told the gentleman that he would allow one thing and let him go back to his earthly home and retrieve what he so badly wanted. After a short while the man returned and was dragging behind him a large knapsack full of gold and jewels. Some other saints had joined St. Peter in his absence. Curious, St. Peter ask to have a look inside and the man allowed him a quick and short peek. Smiling, St. Peter allowed him into heaven and after he was out of sight, started laughing and his fellow saints asked him what was so funny? "After all that fussing, beggin and whinning that man went through to bring with him, what he held so dearly, it turns out to be only street pavement."

I will not say more.

My long term 'investments' now are in the inheritance that has been given to me and that is the people of this world. To share the gospel and the love, mercy and grace of our Heavenly Father that was shared with me. My long term investments are now in Him and for Him. I know that the only jewel I want now is to be the jewel of HIS eye. This lasting, long term investment is the only one that assures me of the greatest return that I look for, The RETURN OF our LORD and SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST... Hallelujah.