JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Tricky Pride

• 1 month later...

(Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar’s life? In what ways does it show up in your life? Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility? 

Nebuchadnezzar does not change his ways. He is still obsessed with pride in himself and his

achievements. It can be described in the following ways:
  • Pride in his achievements - "Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?"
  • Pride in his terrible power, that everyone feared him, and didn't dare to challenge him This isolated him from truth, and made him more vulnerable to believe that whatever he thought was right.
  • Pride in his absolute authority to condemn and execute, to promote, and to humble at his own whim .
  • Pride that hardens his heart . Pride distorts our perception of reality.
Pride is characteristic of the world system we live in. Pride can mask itself in our self-confidence. While it can be a good thing, it can also harden our hearts towards God and lead us to believe that our success and achievements were by our own hand, while in fact, everything that we have and own (our life, our health, our families, our possessions, our careers, etc) came from God. Thank you Lord Jesus!

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life? UNBELIEF BECAUSE OF DELAYED IMPLEMENTATION OF WHAT DANIEL SAID: "But Nebuchadnezzar does not change his ways. He is still obsessed with pride in himself and his achievements (4:30). God gives him twelve months to repent, and then the hammer falls… his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride,"

In what ways does it show up in your life?  BEING BLESSED WITH A LOVE OF INFORMATION, my tolerance for uninformed and assertive people causes me to validate and verify.

Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?  AS PASTOR WRIGHT SAYS, ALL PRIDE IS NOT BAD: "There is a good kind of pride that is self-confidence born of experience. We try to encourage that in our children. Confidence allows children to walk, to run, to climb trees, and to try new things. That is good. That is the way God made it to be.

PRIDE VS HUMILITY?  Sometimes, under the auspices of informing; it is really leveling. God looks at the heart. "But pride out of control is a terrible thing that hurts others and becomes hard towards God."

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life? UNBELIEF BECAUSE OF DELAYED IMPLEMENTATION OF WHAT DANIEL SAID: "But Nebuchadnezzar does not change his ways. He is still obsessed with pride in himself and his achievements (4:30). God gives him twelve months to repent, and then the hammer falls… his heart became arrogant and hardened with pride,"

In what ways does it show up in your life?  BEING BLESSED WITH A LOVE OF INFORMATION, my tolerance for uninformed and assertive people causes me to validate and verify.

Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?  AS PASTOR WRIGHT SAYS, ALL PRIDE IS NOT BAD: "There is a good kind of pride that is self-confidence born of experience. We try to encourage that in our children. Confidence allows children to walk, to run, to climb trees, and to try new things. That is good. That is the way God made it to be.

PRIDE VS HUMILITY?  Sometimes, under the auspices of informing; it is really leveling. God looks at the heart. "But pride out of control is a terrible thing that hurts others and becomes hard towards God."

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life?

The king was so prideful that he ignored Daniel's interpretation of the dream and plea to repent of his sins. After an entire year he was still self deceived and believed he was king because he was so wonderful, and that he had built the great Babylon as his own royal residence (not just the palace! The entire nation!) by his own mighty power and for the glory of his own majesty!" (He's right up there with some in power today!)

In what ways does it show up in your life?

When I forget I'm only a branch and assert myself as the vine!  When that happens it's a clue or nudge to me that I've forgotten how much I'm loved, and to take a deep breath and dig out the "weed" that is pushing me to want to take back the control of my life.

Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?

I recall a time when I wanted to share something I had accomplished and for which I felt proud, but shared it in such a way that it sounded very humble. Also, wanting to take credit for something the Lord has done....It's ALWAYS HIS WORK. 

I love this quote:" I  must remember I'm just the donkey Jesus rode in on."

By insisting that the people worship him, not God.

Too often I get so caught up in what I am doing, I forget that it is the Lord I serve and to give Him

the glory

We can say the right things, but our attitudes don't say the same things--shows in our faces & actions.

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life?

Twelve months on, after having wasted the opportunities to renounce his sinful ways, he was still brimming with pride and arrogance, as he was walking about in the palace, he says, “Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?” Is this not PRIDE and ARROGANCE ?

Every time I exalt myself over others – and man, it feels good – Humility is the virtue to be sought after and this must be my vestment. No, I'm not more worthy than anyone else - God loves us all the same and only His opinion matters. And as for glory = it all belongs GOD - all power praise and glory thanksgiving & worship belongs to GOD !

Pride thrives in us because our focus in self rather than in God. There’s pride in humility too especially when we think too lowly of ourselves – we focus on self and not on God. We forget that everything is given to us from God – our lives. “For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did

receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?” (1 Cor 4:7)

In the parable of Pharisee and the Tax Collector below, Jesus helps us to see the fine line between pride and humility

"Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 'Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, "God, I thank You that I am not like other men -- extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week, I give tithes of all that I possess." And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, "God, be merciful to me a sinner." I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted' " (Lk 18:9-14)

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar’s life? In what ways does it show up in your life? Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?      

In the following ways pride shows itself in Nebuchadnezzars life.

• Pride in his achievements -- the self-made man complex. "Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?" (4:30)
  • Pride in his terrible power, that everyone feared him, and didn't dare to challenge him (5:19a). This isolated him from truth, and made him more vulnerable to believe that whatever he thought was right.
  • Pride in his absolute authority to condemn and execute, to promote, and to humble at his own whim (5:19b).
  • Pride that hardens his heart (5:20a). Pride distorts our perception of reality.

Yes it shows up in my life too, mainly in achievements.

While doing this study itself God revealed to me how I am sometimes proud even when testifying Gods goodness in my life in church or during fellowship, Pride masks itself because sometimes I feel the sense of achievement, a thinking that I deserved it all.  Forgive me Lord and thank you for this revelation.

​

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar’s life?

• Pride in his achievements -- the self-made man complex. "Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?" (4:30)
  • Pride in his terrible power, that everyone feared him, and didn't dare to challenge him (5:19a). This isolated him from truth, and made him more vulnerable to believe that whatever he thought was right.
  • Pride in his absolute authority to condemn and execute, to promote, and to humble at his own whim (5:19b).
  • Pride that hardens his heart (5:20a). Pride distorts our perception of reality.

Pride always appeals to our senses; our sense of worth, sense of ownership, sense of spirituality, sense of well being, and in most all ways that comes from worldly desires and pleasures.  I am guilty of declaring doing "good" things and expect to get a certain response, I am guilty of comparing myself with others by dress, looks, education, occupation, etc. Now that I am in advanced years, retired and out of the mainstream of life I find that I am much more in control of what I say, how I say it and how I attempt not to be prideful.

Humility is best when it is something that is hidden.  By that I mean prefer others over yourself, you don't have to be the authority about everything keep your mouth shut even if someone else has an answer that is less accurate than yours.  Be sensitive to your surroundings; do not seek to be the leader, in charge...step back let someone else be in the drivers seat.

How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life?

Pride in his achievements -- the self-made man complex. "Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by

my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?" (4:30)

Pride in his terrible power, that everyone feared him, and didn't dare to challenge him (5:19a). This isolated him from

truth, and made him more vulnerable to believe that whatever he thought was right.

Pride in his absolute authority to condemn and execute, to promote, and to humble at his own whim (5:19b).

Pride that hardens his heart (5:20a). Pride distorts our perception of reality.

In what ways does pride show up in your life?

In my life personally, I feel pride when my superiors tell me a job well done.

How can pride mask itself with humility?

Pride out of control is a terrible thing that hurts others and becomes hard towards God.

(Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar’s life? In what ways does it show up in your life? Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?     

Because of the high position Nebuchadnezzar had, he felt that he could do whatever he wanted.   

He began to think that his success was his own doing. He abused his power and authority to the point that people feared him.  Pride harden his heart.  Sometimes I have to catch myself when I have accomplished something in life and remember that it is God's doing and not my own.  It is so easy to get caught up in the hype.  Don't let pride get out of control.  It's okay to be self-confident, but be humble as well and remember it's God's doing not you. 

Pride showed itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life by him believing he is the greatest king in his kingdom and everyone must obey all his rules or they would be punished. He doesn't believe God blessed him with all the wealth he had, instead he thought he was the smartest and earn the wealth by his own doing. Sometimes I have to pray that God remove selfishness and think of others. And since I completely turned my life over to God I am humbled before Him at all times. God keeps me in check by reminding me of the selfishness and that's a good thing. Pride can mask itself with humility by believing we are doing what God wants us to do, but deep down inside we know that's not what we are feeling at the moment.

Q4. (Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar’s life? In what ways does it show up in your life? Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?

By stubbornly believing and espousing he is the sole reason for his success and high station and its privileges Nebuchadnezzar's pride overtakes his faith and his life.

Pride is not to be confused with self confidence. It is by God's grace that this thing has come to pass. Self confidence that God chooses me to carry out His task is where I try to start with this topic otherwise pride does take over. It's not a case of following instructions but more a case of using the skills developed over many years that self confidence can deliver the outcome that God expects - have to say don't always seem to get this right for any number of reasons when the outcome is the experience of pain and doubt either for myself or someone else. 

Reflecting on the process and the outcome doesn't always deliver an alternative option, mostly just sort of left wondering. Self doubt becomes the antithesis of self confidence and so the double edged sword becomes the reflective surface. 

Can only pray that as I move forward in my walk with Jesus that He is there to guide me and show me the path.

Nebuchnezzer thought he was unconquerable and didn't need to answer to any man or any god. He considered himself to be a self-made man who took great pride in all he'd done.

I'm a good guitarist. Better than most out there. But I acknowledge God as the One who has made my solo music career, which I began at 43 years of age, even possible. Every now and then though, I get an overblown sense of my own worth. That's pride. I'm glad I read this lesson this morning because even today I was thinking along those lines and I repented. Thank God. 

Quite simply, we can be proud of our humility! Humility is a funny thing. The minute you tell someone you're humble, you're not. I think the best way to go is to quietly acknowledge God as the provider of every good thing. Did we buy ourself something we really like? Thank God for the ability to earn the money to buy that. Have we had success at work? Thank God for enabling us to achieve whatever we have achieved.

Nebuchadnezzar had it all. His mere word was law across his wide kingdom.
People bowed and scraped before him. On the other hand such adoration
could leave him a lonely man for true affection, something we see when we
work for a hard boss. Then his pride can prevent lesser mortals from
getting close.

Nebuchadnezzar had all power, he could instruct and it would be done, no body questioned him (Daniel 4:30): Nebuchadnezzar was in awe of what he had achieved and built. He gave himself all the credit, he did not acknowledge the God of Israel, in spite of seeing what God had done for Daniel and his friends.

Pride often shows up in my life, often I avoid praying when I have a problem in my life and will say to myself, I should be able to sort this out for myself. Sometimes I try and take the credit instead of giving God the credit. Sometimes, I hate hearing the truth. It is easy to say something, so that I sound as though I have humility, but underneath I am thinking the opposite.

How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life? In what ways does it show up in your life? Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?

• Pride in his achievements (4:30)
  • Pride in his terrible power,  (). 
  • Pride in his absolute authority (5:19b).
  • Pride that hardens his heart (5:20a)

Pride is something we all deal with in one way or another.  Pride keeps our focus on ourselves and our plans, goals problems, solutions and seeking our will over God's or other's.   We can act humble, while reveling in the attention we get from others.  We can act pious but still have a very prideful heart.  Humility is seen in surrender of our wills, our agenda, how good we look to others.  

Someone once told me that being a servant is a good thing, until someone tells you what to do.  Then being a servant isn't so fun.  We can be prideful servant when we serve when and how and doing what we want to do.  Surrender is letting someone else tell us how to serve.

Pride showed itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life by his bragging of his great achievements, doing to others as he wished and not acknowledging God.

Pride in my life, that I am proud of having accomplished a long work history, but in my heart knowing without God's help I would have never made it.

Pride mask itself with humility by pretending to others we are doing good especially the poor. This helps us to feel like we are humble, but in reality we think it is all our own doing.    

Daniel 4:30; 5:18-21) How does pride show itself in Nebuchadnezzar's life? In what ways does it show up in your life? Pride is tricky. How can pride mask itself with humility?

As he looks over his kingdom he marvels at what he has built up, he does not let anyone give him council to keep him humble. I think pride can sneak up on you in ways that are subtle, an attitude or proud look. As a Christian the pit fall can be that we take pride in our humbleness.

Nabuchadnezzar used to do what he considered was correct. He followed his own feelings without minding if it was right or not before God's eyes. In the same way, when we think we are owners of our lives and we follow our own ways, we are repeating Nabuchadnezzar attitudes. Pride can disguise himself into humility. If we do the right things, help the others, read the Bible and pray to be praised by men, our pride is only masked with humility.  

The pride of king Nebuchadnezzar is that he sees his success is of himself not a blessing from the Most High.  This pride is found in everyone's life in this world whether as a President or a simple officer at the lowest level.  The people who are most prone to this pride are entertainer stars, sport stars, politicians, lawyers, and company CEO.  We can see this pride everyday on TV programs.

Pride starts from self-confidence; this is the beginning.  It will grow with time as we grow stronger in life.  We can see that it is our own abilities, skills, knowledge and smartness that we are successful in life.  Our pride puts God away from our life.  At the end, we may not see the presence of God anymore.  This is the trickiness of pride.

Pride can mask itself with humility; we can take a real example of the Papacy of the Roman Catholic Church.  Followers see the Pope as the most humble man through his loving gesture, and kind words to disadvantaged people, but they have to worship him as a god on earth.  His title is "Holy Father".  He is a king as Nebuchadnezzar.  He has guards, requires strict security to be organised wherever he goes.  He lives in a sumptuous palace.  If we compare the Pope with Jesus Christ, we can see the difference as black and white.

In regards to my own life, I can also see pride masks itself with humility when I acknowledge my success was due to the support of other people around me without acknowledging the blessing of God.

A typical example of pride in the New Testament is the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican praying in the temple (Matthew 18: 10-14).

Daniel pleaded with Nebuchadnezzar to change his ways, and God gave Nebuchadnezzar 12 months to do it. Unfortunately, there was no repentance in the heart of this proud king, and so the dream was fulfilled.

The king offered Daniel beautiful gifts and great power if he would explain the writing, but Daniel turned him down. Daniel was not motivated by material rewards. His entire life had been characterized by doing right. Daniel was not showing disrespect in refusing the gifts, but he was growing older himself and knew the gifts would do him little good. Daniel wanted to show that he was giving an unbiased interpretation to the king. Doing right should be our first priority, not gaining power or rewards. We should love God enough and do what is right, even if it means giving up personal rewards?

1.  The king refuses to believe that God has all authority and acts as if nothing will happen  to him. He continuously accepts attention from others. He has pride: Pride in his  achievements -- the self-made man complex. "Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?" (4:30)

· Pride in his terrible power, that everyone feared him, and didn't dare to challenge him (5:19a). This isolated him from truth, and made him more vulnerable to believe that  whatever he thought was right.

· Pride in his absolute authority to condemn and execute, to promote, and to humble at  his own whim (5:19b).

· Pride that hardens his heart (5:20a). Pride distorts our perception of reality.

2.  It will if I let it show up in my clothes and looking extra, extra nice. 

3.  Letting the devil fool you as if your pride is nothing and that you have humility when you do not. 

I have built this great Babylon as my royal home. I built it by my power to show my glory and my majesty.

Self glory not recognizing who is the creator

Love being recognized by every achievement you make

According to these passages, Nebuchadnezzar believed that he was an independent, self-made man who had built the great kingdom of Babylon by his own “mighty power” and for the glory of his own majesty. His authority and iron-fisted power were unchallenged and all-inclusive. His magnificence was to be honored by all without question. People were dispensable when no longer useful, and his heart was hardened toward those of his kingdom who were in need. He didn't think he needed or owed any god, even Daniel's Most High God who had demonstrated such profound power in the past. When Daniel interpreted the king's dream that delivered Yahweh's warning of judgment, there was no timetable given and as weeks turned into months and months into a year, the complacent king didn't see anything happening, no need to worry or respond with self-reflection and humble repentance. He mistook God's mercy and patience for weakness and inaction.  Ultimately, he completely ignored the prophetic word. In his pride, he saw himself as above all and accountable to none.

Pride shows up in my life any time I choose what I want or think best over what God desires and knows best. It's revealed any time I act on my own instead of seeking and yielding to Him. Pride is when I esteem myself over others, when I try to fix things only God can fix, when I hold others to standards I'm not willing to live by, or when I refuse to see myself as I truly am. It shows up when I start thinking I'm the queen of my supposedly self-made little kingdom of accomplishment or influence. Pride is when I ignore God's direction and warnings and am lulled to think I can get away with it without consequence.  And pride is even the true problem when I don't genuinely trust that God can heal or forgive or transform the hurts or old wounds or repeated failures in my life as I allow those kinds of things to rule with greater power than I'm accepting from God. 

The question about pride masking itself with humility instantly reminded of the pastor of a church I attended about 15 years ago. He wore his “humility” like a badge of honor. He became so proud of being humble that there was no longer any virtue in it. When you are humble in order to make yourself look good to others, you have actually become arrogant and proud.