JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

(Daniel 9:24) In what ways can we find in Jesus the fulfillment of the six tasks found in verse 24? 

1. To finish transgression

2. To put an end to sin

"She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins." (Matthew 1:21)

3. To atone for wickedness

Jesus is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29)

"He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." (1 John 2:2)

4. To bring in everlasting righteousness

Our righteousness does not depend on us, but on Jesus who justifies us, that is, declares us righteous.

"By his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities." (Isaiah 53:11)

5. To seal up the vision and prophecy

To authenticate by accomplishing all that God had revealed to Jeremiah, the focus of Daniel's prayer of intercession

6. To anoint the most holy

Anointing of the Anointed One, Jesus the Messiah, who will accomplish God's work (Matthew 12:6)

To me, it's important to begin by noting that Daniel had specifically prayed about God's chosen people and His holy city (chpt.8). In 9:1, Gabriel specifically identified the answer was tied to Daniel's prayer as he revealed the overall purposes of the Seventy Weeks and said that they “are decreed about your [Daniel's] people and your holy city.” This prophecy affects everyone, but is directly about the Jews and Jerusalem.

The ways Jesus fulfilled the six tasks that relate to the 70 weeks for the Jews and Jerusalem in verse 24 was interesting to consider and research. I don't normally reference commentaries in answering our questions, but found Barnes' Notes on the Bible to be helpful.

1. The first purpose of the “seventy weeks” is to “finish the transgression” (ESV). I've always understood this as the time period God uses to bring an end to the rebellion of His chosen people and their rejection of Messiah. But the Hebrew word actually means “to shut up, restrain, withhold” - not “finish”. The 70 weeks is about the process of restraining their sin, not the end of it. Messiah came to atone for sin and complete the requirement for sin offerings. Barnes says, by God's mercy and choice, this essentially shutters or covers His eyes to the sin that otherwise lies openly exposed before His righteous eyes. So as He looks on those who are redeemed by faith, sin “can no more be regarded as existing.” Jesus has fulfilled this hope for believers, as His Holy Spirit residing in us now restrains sin in us.

2. The second purpose is to “put an end to sin”. I've seen this as the Jews' acceptance of Christ as the final victory over sin. But the Hebrew word means “to seal” - not “end”. Barnes likens it to a seal that's been placed over what Jesus has done, a seal set on what covers sin before the eyes of God. What has ended is the effort to atone for sin! We know this hasn't been fully realized in the world, but Jesus will finish that work in the future. It has been sealed to be so.

3. The third purpose is to “atone for iniquity”. The Hebrew word used here means “to cover or appease”. The blood of Jesus was presented as the pure and holy sacrifice on heaven's altar so that we can have eternal atonement/pardon for our iniquity and the righteous cover of Christ over our sin. Any further offering of atonement sacrifices by the Jews has been rendered void of meaning, and it actually dishonors Him as they choose to remain bound with rituals and external laws rather than accept liberty in what He has completed. Only their acceptance of Christ's work of atonement will appease God's holiness and cover their sin.

Barnes' says that these three things to be done within the 70 weeks are specified in regard to sin. For the Jews, sin would be restrained, sealed up, and covered over.

Three necessary things remained that would be done to complete the work: bring in everlasting righteousness, seal up the vision and prophecy, and anoint the Most Holy.

4. The fourth purpose is to “bring in everlasting righteousness”. The Hebrew word means “to come, arrive”. The eternal, unending righteousness of the Kingdom of God arrived on earth with Jesus' first advent. His righteousness now in us is perpetual and unchanging. So, not only would sin be restrained, sealed up, and covered over in the 70 weeks, but the “method would be introduced by which man would become, in fact, righteous and holy.” As believers, we already know this is in Christ alone.

5. The fifth purpose is to “seal both vision and prophet”. Jesus' completed work set a seal over both of these. Barnes' says this should likely be understood in a general sense of all the visions of future events seen by prophets that would be sealed or shut up by the 70 weeks, since they all pointed the Jews to the coming of Messiah, who has now come. “The fulfillment would, as it were, close them up forever”...as a “book that is fully written and sealed up”. All those prophecies would be manifest to them in Jesus and the resulting fulfillments would “confirm and seal all that had been written”. Since the time Jesus came to earth, God no longer communicates His Word by Jewish prophets of old, but “by His Son” (Hebrews 1:1-2). Jesus has proven the authenticity of Jeremiah and Daniel's prophecies, and all the rest of Daniel's sealed predictions will be confirmed with the full completion of the entire 70 weeks.

6. The sixth purpose is to “anoint a most holy place”. The Hebrew words literally mean “most holy” (place or thing). This has been interpreted in different ways: a most holy place (ESV), holy of holies (Young's Literal Translation), the most holy (KJV). Because I believe Daniel 9:24 clearly assigns this time of “70 weeks” to Daniel's people and their holy city; respectfully, I do not believe it is for the Church. I do believe we currently live in a span of time (the last days) before the fulfillment of the last “week” (Daniel was given no evidence to either confirm or dispute this; technically, he doesn't specify that any of the 3 parts of the 70 weeks run in direct sequence, for that matter). Our anointing as the Body of Christ in this age of grace is with the Spirit (2Corinthians 1:21). Barnes' suggests this 6th purpose ultimately refers to God's holy dwelling place with man in the New Jerusalem where the very presence of Christ Himself is the highest anointing that could ever be made and the most holy place that ever could exist on earth. Hallelujah!

Q1. (Daniel 9:24) In what ways can we find in Jesus the fulfillment of the six tasks found in verse 24?

"HE (You) PAID IT ALL UPON THE CROSS: HE PAID THE COST BECAUSE WE WERE LOST" (Wess Morgan)

"Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression,

to put an end to sin,

to atone for wickedness,

to bring in everlasting righteousness,

to seal up the vision

and prophecy and to anoint the most holy." (9:24)

Q1. (Daniel 9:24) In what ways can we find in Jesus the fulfillment of the six tasks found in verse 24?

1.  To put an end to transgression.

2.  To securly close or seal; to finallly put an end to sin.

3.  To forgive, to attone for, and reconcilliation for wickedness.

4.  To bring an everlasting righteousness by Jesus who justifies us.

5.  To seal up the vision of prophesy, which most likely means to authenticate by accomplishing all that God had revealed to Jeremiah, the focus of Daniel's prayer of intercession.

6.  To annoint the most highly, which is Jesus the Messiah that will accomplish all of God's work.

Verse 24 reads as follows:

"Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression,

to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness,

to seal up the vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy."

We can find in Jesus the fulfillment of the six tasks found in verse 24:            

1)    “to finish transgression,“ Jesus came to bring an end to man’s sinning. His teachings were to lead man to live a righteous life.

2)    “to put an end to sin,” Jesus came to destroy the work of the devil. To cut down the devil’s influence on man.  His example after    

baptism is for us to know that we too can live above the devil’s temptation.

3)    “to atone for wickedness,” Jesus came to “atone for” the sins of man.  Our forgiveness is in His atonement.

4)    “to bring in everlasting righteousness,”  The everlasting righteousness is in our justification, as children of God.  We are justified not

because of anything we did but because Jesus’ death on the cross bought our cleansing from the unrighteousness of sin.  

5)    “to seal up the vision and prophecy,”  the law and its sacrifices were only a "shadow" of the perfect and permanent sacrifice to come.

Jesus came, fulfilling prophecy, and brought the final and perfect sacrifice for man’s justification.  Heb. 10:5-7 (“That is why, when

Christ came into the world, he said to God, “You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings. But you have given me a body to offer.

You were not pleased with burnt offerings or other offerings for sin. Then I said, ‘Look, I have come to do your will, O God -

as is written about me in the Scriptures.’”)

6)    to anoint the most holy," Jesus, the Most Holy, was anointed from birth and is indeed the Messiah; Savior of the world. 

In what ways can we find in Jesus the fulfillment of the six tasks found in verse 24?          

Jesus is the fulfillment of God's plan for mankind:

1) Finish transgression, 2) Put an end to sin, 3) Atone for wickedness, 4) Bring in everlasting righteousness, 5) Seal up vision and prophecy, 6) Anoint the most Holy place

To finish transgression

To put an end to sin

She will give birth to a son and you are to give him the name Jesus because He will save His people from their sins. Matthew 1:21

To atone for wickedness

The reason the Son of  God appeared was to destroy the devil's work. 1 John3:8

He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins and not only ours but also the whole world 1 John2:2

To bring in righteousness everlasting

By His knowledge my righteous servant will justify and bear their iniquities  Isaiah 53:11

To seal up the vision and prophecy

To authenticate by accomplishing all that God revealed to Jeremiah, the focus of Daniel's prayer

To anoint the most holy

The anointing of the Annointed One Jesus the Messiah Matthew12:6

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

1. To finish transgression.  the end of being controlled by sin

To put an end to sin. Jesus paid it all!  Jesus has been promised

To atone for wickedness, Jesus takes away our sins!

To bring in everlasting righteousness. Jesus  justifies us--declares us righteous."

To seal up the vision and prophecy. When Jesus comes, He'll break the seals and the end will play out.

To anoint the most holy. possibly anointing Jesus who is The Most Holy!!

I see Jesus undertaking the transgressions of the Jews of His time and laying greater restraints upon them. Again Jesus, the Lamb of God, made an end of sins by exposing the root of Israel’s transgression, by paying an “expensive” price to procure pardon for all. He also, through His sufferings and “ultimate” death, acquired reconciliation for the iniquities of all His people. He made full reparation for the injuries caused by sin.

In God’s terms, Jesus, through His death, not only dealt with and destroyed sin but He brought about everlasting righteousness. Jesus, in my opinion, is the substance of all the visions and prophesies of the Old Testament – He did not literally seal up the visions and prophesy, but brought the visions and prophesies more clarity through His fulfillment of them. It could be the sanctuary or the Temple, but I see the Jesus, both human and divine, the most Holy, with all His righteousness being anointed by the Father and sanctified His Holy Spirit.

(Daniel 9:24) In what ways can we find in Jesus the fulfillment of the six tasks found in verse 24? 

Jesus fulfilled all these tasks by obediently carrying out his Father's will, by dying on the cross.

1. To finish transgression
  2. To put an end to sin.
  3. To atone for wickedness,
  4. To bring in everlasting righteousness.
  5. To seal up the vision and prophecy.
  6. To anoint the most holy.

• SANCTIFICATION—Daniel's vision for the future of his people included their sanctification. It takes time to be holy. Sanctification is the process of putting an end to sin. Both people and places may be sanctified, or set apart to God's service. The text makes three negative and three positive assertions about the removal of evil. Sanctification has both negative and positive aspects. It is a turning away from sin and a turning to God.
  • RIGHTEOUSNESS—The apocalyptic vision and the history to which it points have an ethical goal. God seeks to inform, assure, and motivate His people by revealing His eternal purpose of establishing eternal righteousness. Apocalyptic is a call to be a faithful citizen of God's eternal kingdom of righteousness.

A. Jesus came to finish the transgress; put an end to sin; atone for wickedness; bring everlasting righteousness; etc

1. To finish transgression. I can't help but think of what Jesus said from the cross: "It is finished" which I understand to mean salvation, but what Jesus accomplished on the cross essentially finished the devil's work.  He is defeated and there will come a day when it is realized in its fullness.
  2. To put an end to sin. Sin reigned until the time of Christ.  Even the Law could not stop sin. But Jesus gave us victory over sin through the cross. 
  1. To atone for wickedness, Jesus death on the cross atoned for our sins.  We can be transformed by His shed blood and death and resurrection.  "He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." (1 John 2:2)
  2. To bring in everlasting righteousness. His righteousness alone saves us.  He is is our righteousness.
  1. To seal up the vision and prophecy. I think of a Roman seal that authenticates that this is from the person who sealed it.  Only the authorized person can break the seal and open the contents.  I think it again points to Jesus that both authenticates and has authority to break the seal.
  2. To anoint the most holy. I would agree this again points to Jesus and His anointing as the Holy One, Jesus, the Messiah.  

1. to finish transgression: Jesus death provided a clean slate for each believer who trusts in Him as Lord and Savior, IT IS FINISHED.

2. to put an end to sin: When we are in Christ, we are no longer under the bondage to sin, but now have a choice.

3. to atone for wickedness: Jesus changed our nature from fallen and wicked to being new creatures in Christ.

4. to bring everlasting righteousness: When we receive Salvation, we are covered in His robe of righteousness forever.

5. to seal up the vision and prophecy: Jesus has been waiting until the appointed time to come again where He will reign forever.

6. to anoint the most holy: Jesus is THE MOST HOLY....the anointed One, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.​

Q1. (Daniel 9:24) 

In what ways can we find in Jesus the fulfilment of the six tasks found in verse 24?

Daniel had prayed that his people be forgiven their sins against the Lord, that the city of Jerusalem be rebuilt, and the temple restored – this vision is a direct response to Daniel’s prayer.

Gabriel explained that by the end of the Seventy Sevens time period, Jesus would have accomplished six specific tasks for the Jewish people.

To finish the transgression – limiting and controlling the transgression of the Jewish nation. 

To put an end to sin – to put an end to all Israel's sinful ways - especially the rejection of the Messiah. At the Second Coming of Jesus Christ there will be a remnant that will turn to Him in faith, and their sins will be forgiven.

To atone for wickedness – Daniel knew that Israel was scattered because of her sin, and it was only by offering a sacrifice that there would be atonement for their sin. Our Saviour the Lord Jesus would provide this atonement for their sins.  

These three tasks all have to do with solving the problem of sin. Jesus died for every tribe and nation, but in a very special way, He died for His own people, the Jewish nation (John 11:51).

The next three have to do with righteousness and the future kingdom of the Messiah.

To bring in everlasting righteousness – this points to the Second Coming and the Millennium, when our Lord will reign in everlasting righteousness.

To seal up vision and prophecy – with the coming of Jesus all predictions will be completed and there will be no need to predict future events. 

To anoint the most holy – refers to the sanctifying of the future temple in Jerusalem (Ezekiel 40-48). 

Ultimately, Israel's sins will be forgiven (Zechariah 12:10-13:1), the city of Jerusalem will be rebuilt, and the temple and its ministry will be restored, all because of the atoning death of Jesus Christ on the cross. 

When Jesus returns, He will establish His righteous kingdom (Jeremiah 23:5-6; 31:31-34) and rule in righteousness (Isaiah 4:2-6). 

I interpret "the anointed one" in verse 27 as being Jesus; Therefore, in the light of this, the verse in question (v24), Jesus partially fulfills-for the moment, all 6 components. Dr David Jeremiah (2015 http://www.davidjeremiah.org/site/radio_player.aspx?id=1819) states that,

"All six of these events that Gabriel tells Daniel in Daniel 9:24 must ultimately be fulfilled and experienced by the nation of Israel and this wont happen until the end of the four hundred and ninety years of Daniels prophecy since not one of these prophecies was fulfilled in the first 69 weeks there must be a future time in which they will be fulfilled"

Jesus said, when he stood in front of his disciples, after his resurrection;

"...This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”(Luke 24:44)

1 and 2 To finish transgression and put an end to sin: John the Baptist said of him, "...behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world" (John 1:29). The holy spirit will convict the world of sin (John 16:8).

3 To atone for the wickedness

The notes state that Jesus came not only for the forgiveness of the world but to bring reconciliation to the world (1John 2:2)

4 To bring everlasting righteousness

Jesus Christ is our righteousness (Daniel 9:18b).

5 To seal up vision and prophecy

Perhaps this means that Jesus Christ has and will accomplish all that was prophesied about him.

6 To anoint the Most Holy Place

According to the notes this probably refers to the anointing of "...the anointed one". Jesus Christ who will accomplish God's work (Matt 12:6). However Jeremiah (2015) states,

"Christ's kingdom can only be established in the future when the holy place in the millennial temple is anointed. "The phrase the most holy is never used of a person it refers to the sacred place in the temple, to the holy of holy's where the reestablishment of religious service will take place in a future temple"

Anointing means to be appointed for a specific purpose.

Jesus fulfilled the six task found in Daniel 9:24 by putting an end to the death sin causes, he accomplished this by becoming an atonement for our sins and wickedness, provided we believe in Christ and repent of our transgressions. His everlasting righteousness by defeating Satan and his temptations. He fulfilled prophecy relating to the anointed one of Israel and will accomplish God's work when he returns to defeat Satan on earth and proclaim his judgement against him. Then he will set up God's kingdom.       

1. To securely close, put an end to sin.

2. She will give birth to a son, and His name will be called Jesus Christ be cause He takes away His people sin.

3. Jesus Christ came to destroy the works of the devil.

4. To atone wickedness, meaning to forgive.

5. Jesus Christ is our sacrifice for atoning our sins.

6. To bring everlasting righteousness.

The Messiah will fulfill His entire mission as prophesied to Israel, the first part of His mission was to come as a sacrificial Lamb to end the purpose of the sin offering, the second part of His mission (the part yet to be fulfilled) is to come as warrior and king, to defeat the forces of evil and to establish everlasting righteousness and to rule over a tangible earthly Kingdom of God worldwide.

To finish transgression.

To put an end to sin.

To atone for wickedness,

To bring in everlasting righteousness.

To seal up the vision and prophecy.

To anoint the most holy.

1. We can put an end to sin because Jesus came to save his people from their sins."

Jesus is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.

We can be forgiven so that we will have a good relationship with Jesus.

Jesus is the one who justifies us, that is, declares us righteous. "By his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities." Jesus is the anointed one and the Messiah, who will accomplish God's work.

1. We can put an end to sin because Jesus came to save his people from their sins."

Jesus is the one who justifies us, that is, declares us righteous. "By his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities." Jesus is the anointed one and the Messiah, who will accomplish God's work.

The coming Messiah Jesus as the fulfillment because it is the concluding phrase in a series of culminating phrases. The end has come, victory has been won through God’s character and God’s provision of (1) the holiness of Holinesses (2) the Son of Man (3) the Suffering Servant.

This as “fulfill the ministry of the prophets.” In this verse “vision” and “prophecy” are hendiadys. He Himself will be among them, no need for others to speak for Him.  “To anoint the most holy place”  “to anoint the Most Holy” “to anoint a most holy place”  “the holy Temple will be rededicated” “for anointing the holy of holies”

The anointed One is anointed in the new Jerusalem (Rev. 21)”1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. 2 And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.” or the heavenly sanctuary (Heb. 8-9). Jesus Himself is the new temple, He is the new focus of worship.

Daniel 9:24) In what ways can we find in Jesus the fulfillment of the six tasks found in verse 24?

Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up the vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy." (9:24)

Jesus atoned for our sins at Calvary, atoned for wickedness. In the book of Revelation it shows how Jesus will accomplish the other five things.

• 2 weeks later...