JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Unashamed

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

• 5 weeks later...

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? FOR THOSE WHO DON'T BELIEVE; WE APPEAR LESS THAN INTELLIGENT.

Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? YES.

What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? WE SPEAK OF HIM, INTRODUCE OTHERS TO HIM, WE FOLLOW HIM, WE STUDY HIM

What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus? SAME AS ABOVE.

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus' name linked to his mission? Jesus' Hebrew name is a compound word which means "Yahweh Saves

What is his mission? Save His people from our sins

How did he fulfill this mission? Died for our sins; took our place

How did he fulfill his mission in your life? Gave me a reason to believe, live, and share--an anchor for life

Taking on the name of Jesus could open us up for persecution and ridicule. The name of Jesus has put me in circumstances of argument regarding who he is and why he is the only one back to the Father. I chose not to argue, but through scripture had to prove who He is. I put on Jesus when sharing the word with others, through prayer, reconciling the lost to Christ and by actions. We can simply take on the name of Jesus through our actions without saying a word.

A Christian might show shame by acting embarrassed when a non-christian laughs and makes remarks about Christians. Maybe stays quiet and doesn't tell the person that they are a Christian. They try to hide the fact that they follow Christ so they won't be made fun of.

A Christian should tell others about Jesus. We should never be ashamed to admit we are Christians. If friends make fun of us, we should turn the other cheek and tell them that Jesus loves them despite what they are saying. We should not become angry because that is not the way Jesus would have us act. They will know us by our love; Christ's love in us.

The world does not like Christians.  They are threatened by Christians.  When we identify with Jesus, we also identify with his sacrifice.

Yes, my examples are so small, not like those of whom have risked their very lives.

If a Christian is ashamed of the gospel, he usually has inaction--refuses to speak to others about the gospel

Conversely, if a Christian is unashamed, he shares the gospel with others--regardless what their response will be.

Q2 In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with Him, open us to shame and persecution?

​Taking His Name, separates us from the crowd. We may then be scrutinized and held to the standards of perfection that He represents, which none of us are capable of doing. We may be rejected  by some, or ignored by others. A few may judge a believer as a weakling who needs a "crutch" or as "holier than thou" and therefore not worth spending time with.

Have you seen examples of this In your own experience?

​I have never been more than mildly persecuted. I've undergone that type of scrutiny when we were new in a neighborhood years ago. Our children experienced some of that by an unbelieving family next door after witnessing to their children. The Dad came to me with raised fist and angrily told me to tell our kids to stop talking about Jesus! They were also left out of  certain neighborhood swim parties, etc. because they went to a Christian school.

What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus?

​Not speaking about Him. Pretending to be like others in order to fit in and avoid rejection...."Hiding our light under a bushel" so as not to stand out or apart. There is an anti-Christ spirit in America now, using the methods of shame and fear to shut believers mouths and it is very successful.  

​What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

For​ me, it's being who I am consistently, more concerned about pleasing Jesus than wondering what others may think. Being willing to offer to

​pray for others (I've never been told no thank you! Prayer has always been welcomed), and to share what Jesus is doing in my life in ordinary conversation without being preachy. I try to be open to the leading of the Holy Spirit so that when an opportunity opens, I'm ready and willing to share.( A pastor told me when I was a new believer, to pray in the morning for opportunities to share and discernment to know what to share. That has been a gift, so that I'm really tuned into conversations, and not just chatting.

It's interesting that in the Middle East today, Isis and other terrorist groups identify Christians then paint an Arabic "N" for "Nazarene" on those houses, giving all permission to persecute those families.

Jesus promised His followers that just as the world hated and persecuted Him, it will hate and persecute those who take His name on themselves (John 15:18-20). He is the Truth, and truth is the way to liberty and freedom. But the truth also challenges sin and defines guilt, which the natural mind/world vehemently resists. The world-view and culture of our day certainly reflects this in a major way.

My own life has been so flawed, but yes, I've seen this resistance. People refuse the painful light of truth. And they often reject the people who bear that light. We have to remember not to take it personally when people reject us, revile us, ridicule us, and outright seek to hurt or destroy us. I've experienced some of this and been betrayed in standing for Jesus and biblical truth, but never in a way that truly cost me anything but personal grief.

When faced with shame or persecution, it would be easy to soften the message or to just be silent. But when we refuse to compromise the truth in a loving way, we show that we are not ashamed of Jesus or His gospel message, and that His love is greater than the world's hatred. Our consistent testimony with an attitude of love in the face of persecution can sometimes become the catalyst for change in someone else's life.

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? My Answer: I am a fool in the eyes of the unbelievers because I believe in the seemingly impossible power of Jesus, the Son of Almighty God. Society has become intolerant of moral values and the teachings of Jesus Christ under the guise of tolerance and inclusiveness.

Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? My Answer: Yes, at work the environment is one of caution in openly sharing our faith in Jesus because we don't want to offend anyone. Yet when I take the leap of faith and share my hope in Jesus, my message is favorably received.

What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? My Answer: Gving in to the fear of rejection by following the crowd, agreeing with their viewpoints even if they go against Jesus' teachings, keeping my Christianity a secret.

What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus? My Answer: Boldly speaking about the gift of God's grace through my Savior, Jesus Christ, seamlessly weaving the beauty of my relationship with Him into the fabric of my daily life, presenting myself the same way in every situation, with every group and not having a behavior in my church life that differs from my secular life, giving Him praise and honor and glory in private reflection and publicly. Making sure I walk the talk more than I talk the talk. Being a follower of Jesus Christ is the greatest gift! My words and actions in my daily routine are a more powerful witness to the difference Jesus makes in my life than merely slapping people with Bible verses. Jesus is a personal experience. He makes the Bible relevant and meaningful to every person.

Q2.

Q. In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution?

A. When people consider His humble origin from an ordinary family, form humble locality- Nazareth and as a carpenter

Q. Have you seen examples of this in your own experience?

A. No

Q. What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus?

A.  When we are ashamed to identify with Him or preach the Gospel

Q. What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

A. When we boldly identify and proclame him as Saaviour of the world.

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

Some people don't belief that He was the Son of God. They think He was only a prophet. Others would say, He didn't even speak up for Himself or save Himself. I even had someone say how can you follow such a person that His own people didn't like Him. Being humble is very hard. We got to practice it on a daily basis, and also remember Christ was humble is even when He was beaten and crucified. Following Christ is not easy but the Holy Spirit guides you and strengthen you. We must have total faith in Jesus Christ in order to stand against those who don't believe. In some countries Christians are being persecuted everyday for following Jesus. In my walk with Christ, I have faith, belief, trust and love believing Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God. When He comes into your life, good things begin to happen in your life. There is no way that you can keep the Good News to yourself. Also you must be prepared to give an answer to why you belief in Him. The Holy Bible and your life gives you all the answers you need to give an answer to others. People who are ashamed of Christ would not acknowledge Him as being the Christ. Some so-called Christians even avoid speaking His name around others. Christians who are not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ will proudly stand and boast about the goodness, grace and mercy that the Lord has given us. When you go through a total change in your life from living a sinful life to living for Christ, there is no way you would ever think about being ashamed. Instead you would be standing on the Word.

in this post modern world people often thinks they are enlightened and that one who believes in Jesus belongs to the middle ages. I have been mocked and ridiculed because I believe by family and friends. People accuse me of hate speech when I believe what the Bible says instead of trying to be political correct. I think when people are ashamed of Jesus they will just go with the flow and try not to offend anybody. The biggest problem I have is when people tell me that the Bible is corrupt, written by people and if I believe it as the truth its ok for me, but they dont have to believe it. What they believe is true for them and that is all that counts. Everybody decides for themselves what to believe.

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

Sometimes it is hard to know exactly what to say, when a christian is put in a situation where people are ridiculing and demeaning Christianity in some way. I suppose if a believer is ashamed it is failing to say or do what he/she knows what is the right thing to say or do. I have always struggled in this regard. Sometimes I believe it is pertinent to say nothing. Often it is right to say something. Jesus was silent when he was being accused in front of the High Priest (Matt 26:63). However often he spoke up, with what was appropriate. I think believers need wisdom to react appropriately (James 1:5)

Q2 In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with Him, open us to shame and persecution?

I am blessed to live in a country where Christians are not persecuted. I do know that persecution takes many forms, but I have just found that people do not want to talk about religion. They acknowledge that you are Christian and they might even say that they themselves are also, but let's not talk about it.

Have you seen examples of this In your own experience?

​I have found that the majority of people just do not like me as soon as they find out I am not going to gossip, slander, drink myself into another dimension etc. I am therefore not the preffered guest anywhere so far. I have also found that whenever someone is not in a good mood of my own family, they will make derogotary statements about "my religion"

I think that this person is someone who does not talk about Jesus to others and someone who lives of the world. They are Christians on Sundays and the rest of the week you would not know they go to church.

​​What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

Living to please God and not people. Showing compassion and being unafraid to share the gospel of Jesus with every and anyone.

In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution?

People have ridiculed, talked about, hated, feared etc. those that are not like them.  We as Christians must separate ourselves from the world.  As a result, people will not care for us, but we must remain humble as Jesus did and not be ashamed to tell the Good News. 

Have you seen examples of this in your own experience?  

Yes, within my own family.  When I try to tell them that they need to stop worldly things and turn their lives over to Jesus. 

Sometimes I have found myself when among the unsaved I act just like they do to fit in.  Also, there have been times when I have teaching moments to speak about Jesus and I don't because I don't want to be talked about.

What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?   

Once upon a time, as I stated earlier, my family talked about me when I tried to tell them about Jesus.  They would say things like "Oh here comes the holier than thou."  I stopped trying to get them to turn their lives over to Jesus.  After a while, I could not longer stand by and see the destruction they were making of their lives.  I took a different approach and proudly confessed to them what the Lord had done for me and would do for them to.  Not just with my family, but at the work place, in the streets, every opportunity I talk about the goodness of the Lord.

Q2. 

In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with Him, open us to shame and persecution? 

The world hates Jesus, and of course this hatred applies to us as well, as followers of Jesus. 

The world loves those that live as they do. They speak the same language and indulge in the same lusts of the flesh.

As Christians we expose their sinful behaviour by our righteous living. 

It is this that makes us open to abuse and persecution. 

Fortunately, I have not personally experienced any of this abuse. 

What I have found is just the opposite; knowing that I’m a Christian, people seem to trust me more, in certain areas of their life, rather than their worldly friends.

But they will approach me discreetly, without any one knowing.

Sad to say, some Christians are ashamed of Jesus. They hide this fact away from their friends – especially their work colleagues. 

They don’t talk openly about Jesus; perhaps being scared of being ridiculed, and not wanting to stick out from among the crowd. 

Boldly letting all know that we serve the risen Christ irrespective of the consequences. And, of course, willing to explain the Gospel to anyone who will listen. 

These are the actions needed to show that we are unashamed of Jesus. 

I find that this is the least we can do for our Saviour - remembering that He was humiliated, that He suffered and died on the Cross for our sins. 

However, we have to walk the talk; we must be living a righteous life, otherwise, our actions will label us hypocrites. 

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

God blesses you when you are mocked and persecuted and lied about because you are my followers”(Matthew 5:11). Christ will send his Spirit to strengthen those who are persecuted for their faith. This does not mean that all suffering is the result of good Christian conduct. Sometimes a person will grumble, “He’s just picking on me because I’m a Christian,” when it is obvious to everyone else that the person’s own unpleasant behavior is the cause of his or her problems. It may take careful thought or wise counsel to determine the real cause of our suffering. We can be assured, however, that whenever we suffer because of our loyalty to Christ, he will be with us all the way.

Let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father”

Q2. In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience? What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

1. We will experience the same as our Master.  Can it be any other way and would we want it any other way.  If our Lord suffered should we not.

2. Yes

3. Denying the faith

4.  Steadfast in belief, continuing on in the faith in spite of the 'side effects'.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution? Have you seen examples of this in your own experience?

To me, the most difficult "persecution" to deal with is the kind that comes from people you have known all your life. People who knew you before you were born-again. Even family members, siblings.

In Matthew 13, Jesus was teaching in His own country, in the synagogue where most everyone knew Him from His childhood, and they were all "offended" by Him, by His teaching. And He said, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house." And because of that offense, because of their unbelief, the last verse tells us that He did not do many "might works" ....very sad. Some blind eyes were not opened, few hearts changed!

Having a brother who refers to himself as an "agnostic" has proved to be most difficult and painful.
As an agnostic, he used his seat on the fence (pardon the pun) to allow him to curse GOD even while he said he felt no assurance that GOD even existed.
A quote from C. S. Lewis fits in right here...
"A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word “darkness” on the walls of his cell." C.S. Lewis

Eight years my senior, when I was a young teenager my brother would try to shame me in the presence of my parents and my teen friends. If I was attempting to share the gospel, and he was near, he would openly expose my "evil deeds", those things that for me had been washed away when I was born-again. But try explaining that to someone who has no faith or understanding in Christ's finished work on the cross.

Fortunately, my parents were led to a saving knowledge of Christ Jesus before they escaped this earth. I am most thankful for that.

As for my brother, I haven't seen him in nearly 20 years. People who know him have recounted to me that they believe him to be mentally ill, even to be a sociopath. Some even say that he has become aggressively violent.

I do pray for him, but I confess that I am not persistent enough, not as persistent as I should be. And I have no desire to see him as I do have, though faded from years, the memory of one attempt he made to kill me.

Not sure if that was a result of my being "born-again", reading my bible and talking to friends and my parents about Christ or not, but his anger toward me seemed to come at about the same time.

If any of us lives long enough, I feel certain that we will, if we stand out front as Christians, will be faced with terrible persecution, far greater than having someone sneer or criticize. One glance at the events in other countries (outside the USA) show that Christians are being hunted, tortured and murdered, just as the early Christians were, even as Paul was still known as Saul.

I collect quotes from Christians past & present, and this is my most recent addition.
"I know of nothing which I would choose to have as the subject of my ambition for life than to be kept faithful to my God till death."
Charles H. Spurgeon

What actions might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus? What actions might show that a Christian is unashamed of Jesus?

Because of a video I recently received that troubled me, especially the prayer at the end of the video, my first thought is prayer, that is, the public prayers of those who call themselves Christians. Now this includes current and past political leaders at all levels, plus those in other "arenas" and I use that word with purpose. Read between the lines!!

When people pray openly, they will either lift up the Name of Jesus or not.
And when I hear someone pray one of what I call a "vacant" prayer, that is, one that does not speak the Name of Jesus, does not exalt Him as King of Kings, LORD of Lords, does not honor Him as Creator, Mighty GOD or even Savior, it seems to me to be a sort of lame way of getting past those who do worship Him who might be listening, without offending those who do not believe!!

A quick word search of the  NT shows that the words "offend" in it's tenses, and "offense" in it's tenses are used many times.
Christianity is an offense to the world!

So I conclude that the way people pray out loud in public speaks volumes about their willingness to take a stand for Christ.

In what ways does taking Jesus' name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution?

In the Middle East for instance, Syria and Iraq and Nigeria in Africa there is intense persecution of the members of the Body of Christ. In some countries authoritarian governments and even religious terrorists seek to control all religious thought and expression especially that of Christians as part of a plan to control all aspects of political, religious and civic life.

In my country, Christians are subject to many limitations and are also faced open verbal abuse and in the name of defending a certain other religion priests have been imprisoned for causing public disorder. And we Christians are sometimes looked upon as enemies of the state because we are thought of as people having religious beliefs that may challenge loyalty to the rulers.

The failure to show eagerness to share Jesus before others signifies our ashamedness of Christ. Some of the others are :- to deny Christ to save our own skins – fear of being disgraced for being a Christian in the midst of others – the thought of being better off in a sinful life, because our Christian beliefs points out sinfulness.

Identifying and rejecting any and every action that puts a strain on our relationship with Christ Jesus is a desired action of every Christian. Our refusal to introduce destructive heresies about Christian beliefs and denying the sovereignty of our Lord for personal gain and advantages will bring us not only blessings but a place in God’s Kingdom.

We Christians must always abide in the truth. The arabic letter "N" does NOT stand for Nazarene.
[From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]
Nun is the fourteenth letter of the Semitic abjads. ITS SOUND VALUE IS [N]. In Arabic, nun means large fish or whale. The Phoenician letter gave rise to the Greek nu, Etruscan N, Latin N, and Cyrillic H.
Origins
Nun is believed to be derived from an Egyptian hieroglyph of a snake (the Hebrew word for snake, nachash begins with a Nun and snake in Aramaic is nun) or eel. Some have hypothesized a hieroglyph of fish in water as its origin (IN ARABIC, NUN MEANS LARGE FISH OR WHALE). The Phoenician letter was named nun "fish", but the glyph has been suggested to descend from a hypothetical Proto-Canaanite na?š "snake", based on the name in Ethiopic, ultimately from a hieroglyph representing a snake,

Some of the elite or highly educated people like to say that we are pretty dumb following Jesus. So in their eyes we have been opened us up to shame and persecution. Some of the examples that I have experienced is that some of the talk shows will say how dumb we are. Some actions that might show that a Christian is ashamed of Jesus is that we say nothing when these things are said about us. We should stand up to our beliefs and refute what is being said.

Q2.

In what ways does taking Jesus’ name on ourselves, or identifying ourselves with him, open us to shame and persecution?

We need to be like Jesus. Light for this terrible world.

Yes.

to deny him before the world.

Walking by faith and to give hope for the sinners through his word.

Taking on the name of Jesus or identifying ourselves with Jesus open us to persecution from those who are yet blinded by Satan and believes that their persecution of Christians will bring them rewards.  I cannot say that taking on the name of Jesus or identifying ourselves with Jesus open us to shame.  The true Believer counts it a joy, an honor and a privilege to be identified with Jesus.  In recent time there have been many who have been persecuted to the point of being beheaded, all for the name of Jesus. One  might be labeled ashamed of Jesus if he refuse to publicly declare his faith in Jesus Christ for fear of persecution. On the other hand a person who publicly declares that the blood of Jesus bought his salvation is not ashamed of Jesus.

Jesus told us that John the Baptist who was the forerunner and Herald who they have wanted if you accept Him.  God can send his Messenger but we can refuse to hear it.  Jesus has appealed to you that if you have ears you should hear.

1)  Hearer with a short mind

2)  Hearer with a mind like shallow ground

3)  Hearer is too busy to hear

4)  Good ground of the hearer-  He is prepared..He is not too busy to listen...He understands..He thinks it though.