JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Jesus Your Rabbi

• 1 month later...

A.I skip class too often!

B.Not enough! I listen to broadcast and Bible almost daily. Church on Sunday and Wednesday.

C.Once I see the truth of what Jesus taught I receive and change as needed.

D.Althogh I grasped concepts quickly,but I have a difficult time staying focussed. I am and have prayed that God helps me to become more focussed less scattered. I have to listen and read at the same time to maintain any concentration.

Jesus, through His Spirit, is my primary Teacher of the Word. I listen to others and do Bible studies like this one, but look to Him for explanation and understanding as I study the Word and meditate on it. There is always room for major improvement in the amount of time I spend with Him, communing with Him throughout the day. And I could always do better at really drawing from the example of how He lived His earthly life, things He did, who He spent time with, what His priorities were. Those are also part of the invaluable lessons the disciples gained from living with their Rabbi. I do see myself as teachable and want to know His wise counsel for me, but know that the application of what I learn is usually the hardest part.

Jesus comes to me and teaches me daily.  Jesus teaches me in the spirit of knowledge, confession and identification with Him.  I identify with Him as a teacher in terms of how I can be a course of action to be a helper and of service to others.  The symbolism of teacher allows a gentleness of spirit to take hold and works begin.

Q1. What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi?

​I'm His pupil. He is the source of all wisdom (He IS Wisdom!) and my desire is I to absorb all that He wants me to learn.

How often do you come to him to teach you?

​I start every morning with my Bible and devotionals and journal in a quiet place with coffee in hand, ready to learn.

​But at times when I feel rushed, it has amounted to "just getting the check mark in the box", but normally I'm there at His feet

​and ready to receive.

How do you receive his teaching?

​I would say the Bible is His primary source, both in Bible studies, and reading it on my own, but He has "instructed me" through situations with our children, during circumstances of "storms of life" and loss, through visual ​parables in nature, through times of isolation or illness, during worship, through betrayal, when afraid, through friends words and actions, during church, radio broadcasts, and television programs, to name some that just came to mind. He has given me amazing insight at times while doing the mundane household or grooming chores! (I think at those times my mind must be in "neutral" and more open to "hear" His voice.

One example of a parable: I had asked Him what is the point of parables, since You always explained them to disciples? This was during a time when I was restless, anxious, co-dependently trying to please people, and just scattered. He kept calling me to REST, and I'd say: "I know what that means", but didn't really. One day while watering a plant on a railing of the patio, I was startled to see a beautiful blue dragon fly, wings outstretched, hanging by it's tongue from a flower. When I almost watered him, not seeing him at first, he didn't move or flinch. Over the period of a few hours, I kept going outside to see if he was still there, finally touching his body to see if he was alive. His eyes rolled back to look at me but he didn't move. Finally I decided to pick the flower and put him in a place where birds wouldn't think he was lunch, and when I reached toward him this time, I heard:" Rest in Me, Feed on Me, abide in Me." and he flew away. That "picture" was worth a thousand words, as they say.

​When I looked up all the meanings of REST, I realized I hadn't a clue! It was much more than taking a break or stopping work! It was soul and mind rest He was calling me to, which only He can give, and I was too "busy"  to come to Him to receive. But I "get" parables now! I'm a visual learner and those things I "see" stay with me.

How teachable do you think you are?

​As a new believer, my Bible study leader described me as a "thirsty dry sponge." I was devoid of Bible teaching, in love with my new Savior

​and couldn't absorb fast enough!

​I've had periods where I've been angry at God or too sick to care, and that has waned for a short time, but for the most part I believe He would say ​I'm teachable and eager to learn and apply what He is teaching.

​

Q1. What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi? How often do you come to him to teach you? How do you receive his teaching? How teachable do you think you are?

As Rabbi, Jesus is my Teacher and He is my Master and Lord.  It is His teachings that my life is centered on, reflecting of them daily in various circumstances and times of praise and thanksgiving to reflect. I receive Jesus' teaching as a disciple.  His Word is a lamp that shines in the darkness that looms in the world. It is a pleasure to present the Word of God in the classroom or in general conversation having allowed the teachings of Jesus to effect change in my life..  

Q1. What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi?  IT IS MY BELIEF THAT HE WALKS AND TALKS WITH ME AT ALL TIMES.

How often do you come to him to teach you? PERVASIVE

How do you receive his teaching? CONFIRMATION

How teachable do you think you are?  VERY; I AM AWARE THAT THE ONLY THING I KNOW FOR SURE IS THAT I KNOW NOTHING.  JESUS LEADS THE WAY.

Q2. (John 1:1-3, 14) In what sense is Jesus the Word of God? HE ONLY SPEAKS ON GOD'S BEHALF/

Why do you think he is called this?  THE WORD WAS GOD.

Why does John call him the Word of Life (1 John 1:1)?  HE GIVES US LIFE.

What does this say to us about the importance of hearing, meditating on, and internalizing Jesus' words? THE MORE THE WORD BECOMES A PART OF US; THE MORE WE BECOME THE WORD.

Q3. (Revelation 3:14) Why is Jesus called the "true and faithful witness"?  Thus Christ is the ultimate affirmation, the Amen.

What did he witness to? Witness to the Peoples.

How was he faithful in his witness? Because Jesus is a faithful teacher, Jesus is also the Faithful Witness to the Father and the Father's words. John introduces him as:

"Jesus Christ the faithful witness...." (Revelation 1:5a)

As a disciple, to what degree are you a "true and faithful witness" to the Word that your Rabbi has taught and has done in your life? I READ, I BELIEVE, I SHARE, I ATTEMPT TO LIVE BY HIS WORD.

What would it look like if you improved as a witness?  I CAN'T IMAGINE.

How does Jesus' truth contrast with your culture's dearly held "truths"? OUR CULTURE BELIEVES IF YOU DON'T SEE IT; IT IS NOT THERE.

How does Jesus' wisdom differ from the worldly wisdom that your culture teaches you? In John 1, the Word, the Logos creates the world:

"He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made." (John 1:2-3)

What would help you hold on to Jesus' truth and wisdom more effectively? READ, BELIEVE, OBSERVE, & SHARE.

I pray to grow more in allowing Jesus to me my Lord and master throughout each day.

I come to Him daily.  I receive His teaching with joy and obedience.

However teachable I am now, I want to be more so!!

Q1. What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi? How often do you come to him to teach you? How do you receive his teaching? How teachable do you think you are?

He is my Lord and my teacher.  I am His devoted pupil if you will.  I start the day off with as much as two hours of Bible reading if my day allows.  I try to return at least once more if the day allows.  I get excited about my time with Him and I think I have a  teachable spirit.  Then I try to spend some time in Bible or Bible related reading in the evening.

God Bless!

Jen

Jude 20

Jesus is my Lord and Savior and I depend on him wholly to teach me things.  It was not like that before I met Him, I used to depend on my own intelligence and strength which failed me.  Now I just need Jesus to guide me and lead me.  And when He teaches me its so gently and so apt to my situation.  There is complete peace and joy and total understanding when Jesus teaches me.

I come to him everytime I need him.  but I need to come more often and sit at his feet in his presence and learn.  Sometimes I get distracted with worldly things and I usually take more time to learn when I am on my own.  I try my best to give more and more time to the Lord.

I sometimes find his teachings very hard and it hurts, but its always the best teaching I have realized.  What Jesus teaches me is only the Truth and when I depend on Jesus I am always successful.

I have become a very good learner over the years as I have realized the benefits of being more open to the teachings of Jesus.  Its only His grace that has given me a very good teachable spirit.

​

This is a hard question. I know that he is with me (Ephesians 3:17). I know that in lots of ways I fail him (Romans 3:23). This question might be better answered from the point of view of someone else who knows me well.

I have received him as my Lord and Saviour. I am quite spasmodic in my reading of the word, to be truthful. I am really enjoying these studies, which help me get into the scriptures. I also learn from him from what I observe in my daily life. Sometimes I am not teachable, but I suppose most of the time I am. I guess we will not find out for sure, how well we have done in this world for him, until we get to meet him in paradise (Matt 25:21).

What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi? How often do you come to him to teach you? How do you receive his teaching? How teachable do you think you are?

I would like to think I follow Jesus's teaching and sit at His feet often listening to His teaching, there is always room for more of Him. I love His teaching and try to make sure that I learn what He really was teaching instead of trying to make it fit into what society is trying to say. I feel that I am teachable especially in the moments when something jumps off the page at me, the Holy Spirit tugging at my heart.

What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi?

My relationship to Jesus as my Rabbi is he is my Lord, and my Teacher.  I look to him as my Lord because I put him first.  I look to his as my Teacher because I rely on his wisdom to teach me in all life circumstances.

How often do you come to him to teach you? How do you receive his teaching? How teachable do you think you are?  

There are many teachable moments whether it is thru Bible Study, Sunday School or studying the Word of God. I start my day reading the Word and meditating on it to receive what the Lord has for me. Life experiences are teachable moments. I look at each situation and try to see what the Lord is teaching me.  I am very teachable.          

I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as my teacher. I come to Him daily to teach me, sometimes more in one day. I receive His teaching through pray and studying the Bible. My mind and heart through the Spirit is always searching answers and how should I approach things in my life. In other words, I don't jump before praying to Him. He has all the glory. If you listen to Him He will give you the answer according to the Bible.

Q1. What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi?  It is because of this lesson that I see Jesus as my Rabbi, my teacher.  He is my Lord and Master.  And I know my life is greatly blessed as I follow   Jesus and obey His teaching.

How often do you come to him to teach you?  I have grown even closer to Jesus during this past year and I depend on Him and need Him to teach me all things.

How teachable do you think you are?  In my past I was not very teachable.  I thought I knew it all.  But now, I must humbly acknowledge that I must and want to be teachable.

Q1. What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi? How often do you come to him to teach you?

How do you receive his teaching? How teachable do you think you are?

Our walk with Christ is all about "relationship."
As I am not Jewish nor have I ever been, I don't think of my relationship with Christ as being one of a student to a rabbi.

I had a wonderful relationship with my dad. He knew all sorts of things and he shared that knowledge with me as I grew up. He didn't teach all the neighbor's kids, he taught me because I was his daughter.
So I think that I have always felt that my relationship with my Savior was one of a daughter to her Father.

We all have relationships, from the very obscure and distant, to those that we hold close to our hearts, intimate and personal.
But no relationship should be stronger, closer and more intimate than our relationship with our Savior and LORD Jesus Christ.
For it is IN HIM, we live, and we move, and we have our being. Acts 17:28

Christ came into my life when I was a little girl. No one told me what it would take to follow Him.
In Matthew 9 we read that when Jesus saw Matthew, He spoke to him saying, "Follow Me."
We know from the first verse of Matthew, Jesus had just returned to His "own city" which was Capernaum, but we don't know if that was the first time Matthew had ever seen Jesus.
 It's more likely that Matthew had seen Him before, perhaps even heard Him speak in the synagogue as Matthew, whose given name was "Levi" Luke 5:27, was Jewish.

Matthew was a very rich man, disliked because he was a tax collector.
So consider how compelling Jesus must have been when He said, "Follow Me."

When we begin to follow Him, we are "compelled" to do so. Not strong armed as some say, forced by circumstance or actions (or lack of them) of others, for we all still must make the choice, just as Matthew did, but we are drawn to Him just as Matthew was.

Think about getting up from your expensive desk or walking out of your beautiful home to follow an itinerant preacher, leaving all the comforts behind. That is exactly what Matthew did.

That word "compel" can mean to force, in fact, there are numerous verses when it means exactly that. Acts 26:11; Acts 28:19; 2 Corinthians 12:11; Galatians 2:3; Galatians 6:12

But when Jesus "compels" us to follow Him, it is by example.
Consider how He led His disciples to follow Him into the boat in Matthew 14:22 & Mark 6:45. Our LORD did not grab His disciples by the arm and drag them into the boat. They followed Him by faith without question.

And the word compel as used in Luke 14, when Jesus told of a man who gave a "great supper" and many chose not to attend, does not mean the use of force. The man sent his servant into the streets, the lanes, into the highways and the hedges, to compel people to come.That use of "compel" is just as it is in Matthew 14 & Mark 6.
The servant led people back to the supper by "example."

Everyday I make a decision, of my free will to follow Him. We all do!
We are not forced by an angry Pharisee with murder in his heart, we aren't coerced as many are in other "religions", nor by the threats or actions of others that brings pressure on us.
We have a free will but He is so compelling, and we want to taste His supper. "Oh taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who trusts in HIM!" Psalm 34:8
I have thought so many times how wonderful it would have been to have been there that morning to eat some of the fish Jesus had prepared! John 21:9

So I am compelled, and being compelled, I have determined in my heart to be as Mary was, sitting at His feet. I seek Him, not signs and wonders, not an audible voice, I seek Him through His Word that He so graciously quickens to me as I read and study. And I pray that as He leads me by His Spirit into His truth, I will continue as Mary did!

There have been many times when I have resisted His truth. My flesh is like all flesh, it is weak and it wants what it wants.
When I begin my day in His presence, in His Word, I find great peace and greater ease in crucifying my flesh. In Galatians 5, the Apostle Paul said that those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions (affections) and desires. Paul used that word "crucified" as a metaphor. He knew as well as anyone how difficult it is to walk in the Spirit and not the flesh. Romans 8:1

According to Strong's concordance, to crucify imply's a total destruction of power. So when I commit to His Word in my life, I set my focus on fellowship with Him not my flesh, for it has been crucified. And I have found that it is not done only once and at times it has been quite painful as I had to deal with things that had taken root in my flesh. But I will never give up or give in!!

What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi? How often do you come to him to teach you? How do you receive his teaching? How teachable do you think you are?

I am a disciple of Jesus constantly seeking to walk in his ways. I try to make use of every opportunity to learn from His word. My social network includes believers who share from scripture. I also have my personal bible study in addition to various online subscriptions where I read daily sharing of his word. I strive to receive his teaching with humility but I must admit sometimes the flesh takes over and I fail to grasp the teaching. I am learning to pray for revelation by the Spirit and for God to work in me to will and to at according to his good purpose. Putting his word into practice is a constant battle yet the devil cannot win. I am completely sold out to Christ.

Jesus is my teacher, thank fully He is a very patient teacher. I am slow to learn but He does not lose patience and I have found that the process of learning is continual. I will have a question, and then get answers bit by bit when I am driving or hanging washing. These answers are always a revelation and causes excitement.

I do not go to Jesus to teach me, I have conversations with Him the whole day, asking questions. Always these conversations are one sided but I know He hears me and I do get answers when He knows I will hear Him.

Sometimes He will lead me to a book that explains things in a way I can understand and sometimes I get answers through courses like these.

He is the most amazing teacher and I love Him to bits.

My relationship to Jesus as my Rabbi is that of the Bible. I am reading the Bible daily learning more about him and I do Bible study courses to learn more about Him. I come to Jesus daily for him to teach me. I receive his teachings by getting up early in the morning and having my time with him without any interruptions. I don’t know how teachable I am because it seems like I forget what I just learned right after I stop my lessons.

Everything that was made was made through Him and for Him. Jesus is not just a great teacher He is the best. He is my Lord and teacher and I can listen to Him because what He said is absolutely true. The Bible is our manual to live by, written by the Creator and sealed by the blood of Jesus to show us His great love that He has for us. Jesus teaches us through every page of His Word. Sin often prevents me to be more teachable, but then God's grace forgives me and his patience overwhelmed me. He is Rabboni, my Lord and my God.

Q1. What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi?

My Answer: Jesus is my Rabbi, my Teacher. As I study Him as the Word of God through His Word, Jesus teaches me how to please God and how to grow in my dependence on Him, to trust Him.

How often do you come to him to teach you?

My Answer: I lean on His strength and guidance every day.

How do you receive his teaching?

My Answer: I often refer to myself as a slow learner because I do not always model my behavior after Jesus. The consequences of my actions remind me that leaning on my own understanding will not have the outcome that God's plan provides. Even when I fail, Jesus offers me a hand up, dusts me off and patiently guides me in the right direction.

My Answer: I am very teachable when I slow down and listen for His still small voice.

Q1. 

What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi? 

How often do you come to Him to teach you? 

How do you receive His teaching? 

To me, He is my Saviour, Redeemer, Deliverer, Shepherd, Teacher, and much, much more. 

As my Teacher, I trust Him with everything, after all He is my Creator.

Being retired, I’m in the fortunate position of being able to spend so much valuable and precious time with Him. 

So I can truly say I have a very close relationship with my Saviour. 

I receive His teaching from the Word; through personal reading and Bible studies, like this one, and many others.

By meditating on His Word we grow spiritually and with the help of the Holy Spirit we are often given deeper insights as to the true meaning, and application in our lives. 

In John 10:6-10, we see Jesus as a kind and patient Teacher. He was speaking to a crowd of ignorant and prejudiced Jews, yet He dealt kindly with them. 

In the same way Jesus has with infinite grace and love persevered with me, since being a late starter in my Christian walk there was much catching up to do. 

I feel that we only have to look at how Jesus taught the disciples, most where uneducated, yet He never tired and still persisted with them. 

It is this same way He will teach us if only we will listen to Him. 

Having The Teacher of teachers, I find myself very teachable. Thank You, Lord!