JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Man of Sorrows

Pastor Ralph

• 1 month later...

Jesus came into the world to bear its sorrows. As that Intercessor, untold inner and personal sorrow was inflicted on Him. He was rejected and persecuted, ridiculed and reprimanded, misunderstood and shunned – even at times by those who loved Him. His life in flesh was headed only in one direction, toward the cruelty, shame, and suffering of the cross. There, the greatest sorrow of all would bear down as He took on man's degenerate shame and the Father turned away.

But Jesus' focus was never set on the sorrows of earth or His own heart. His focus was always set firmly on the Father and their relationship. His primary attention was directed toward heaven at all times. In that, Jesus was always encouraged by knowing that earth's suffering and pain is only for a season but the glory of heaven is for eternity. He was strengthened in the Father's joy that flooded His spirit. Peace blanketed His heart. The wisdom of God guarded His mind. He trusted in the Father's goodness and perfect plan. The future honor set before Him was the hope that saw Him through whatever He faced. Jesus knew pain and sorrow have a purpose, and that when used by God they always lead to glory.

This is the way we must also face sorrow. It's a certainty that this world is going to contain and inflict suffering and grief. That's the nature of man's sin that currently rules here. But believers have an eternal relationship with the Father, a glorious home awaiting us in heaven, the joy of the Father to strengthen us, the unexplainable gift of peace from Jesus to comfort our hearts, wisdom from the Spirit to protect our minds, the goodness of God and His flawless purpose that gives meaning to suffering, and the absolute assurance of His faithful presence in our lives to guide and uphold us.

I have lived the truth that it is absolutely possible to experience sorrow without allowing it to dominate my life. Is it easy? No. Can it be done in my own efforts and ability? No. But when our focus is set on knowing the Father's love, trusting Jesus the Word and Life, and yielding to the Spirit's guidance and empowerment (in spite of how we may feel) we can live through it with a divine joy that can't be taken from us! And we will learn lessons about our glorious and faithful God that cannot be learned any other way.

Jesus suffered the sorrow of being separated from His Father because He was carrying MY sins to the cross.  He suffered for ME.  He had the joy of obeying His Father and completing His will for Him.

We just need to know that sorrow is a part of our lives.  We give it time and know that we all have to suffer one way or another and let ourselves heal by serving others.  It is a way to really grow closer to God as we trust Him to heal us.

Q3 (Isaiah 53:3) How can Jesus be the Man of Sorrows as well as the One who finds joy in His Father?

​Jesus was fully human while fully God. As man, He was acquainted with all of our frustrations, grief, pain, and sadness. He wept with Mary and Martha over Lazarus' death, and their grief while knowing that in a few moments He would raise Lazarus from the grave and restore him to his sisters. That's His heart of compassion. He weeps with us when we weep. We were not created to die...death was a result of His giving man free will, which may involve rejecting Him. He  understands us perfectly in every way even in grief because He experienced it. He endured the pain and agony of the cross for the Joy that was set before Him....the joy of reconciling all that was lost in the Garden of Eden and hence forth, to the way He intended in the beginning.

​ It was His joy to live here on earth in total dependence on His Father, and to complete the mission for which He was sent. I can only imagine their reunion when Jesus returned to Heaven after making a way for those who will say "Yes" to Him to live with Him for eternity.

How can we experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our lives?

​At the moment I'm grieving the loss of a dear Christian friend who went home to Jesus 3 days ago, after suffering the agonies of many surgeries and treatments, medications, indignity and the wasting away of her body and even the use of her arms. There are 3 in my family who've been diagnosed with cancer, and while praying for healing, I know that healing often comes when released from the body in death. When overwhelmed last week with all of this sad news, I asked the Lord to give me His perspective on all of this, and I heard " You've prayed for years for salvation for your family and for Jenn's family. I'm using All of this." My despair turned to joy when I remembered that He can use each circumstance for eternal purposes. The day Jenn died He set a massive rainbow over her house, as if to say "rejoice! She's come home!" I will miss her...she was a joy to know and love, but I'm so thankful she will be waiting in Heaven when I arrive, and I'm trusting that her family will come to know Him and will be there too.

We remember that "Weeping my endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning!" Psalm 30:5

​How would we know Him as our Comforter if we never knew sorrow or grief?

(Isaiah 53:3) How can Jesus be the Man of Sorrows as well as the one who finds joy in his Father? How can we experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our lives?     

Jesus was rejected by those around him, the ones that he came to die on the cross for their sins.  He was wounded and bruised for our sins and never said a word.  He found joy because he was doing the will of the Father.  Our relationship and our daily walk with Jesus will keep us levelheaded no matter how bad our circumstances are.

Q3. (Isaiah 53:3) How can Jesus be the Man of Sorrows as well as the one who finds joy in his Father? How can we experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our lives?

Jesus came here to live a perfect sinless life and to then be a sinless sacrifice for human kind.  He hung on a cross for all to see, to make atonement for you and for me.  He loved and healed and was despised and rejected.  He was indeed Man of Sorrows.  He found joy in doing the Father's will and bringing glory to His name and many sons to righteousness through His life, death and resurrection.

We look to the Shephard who can sympathize with us because He Himself has experienced it.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

In humanity He suffered and bore all our sins upon Himself. We as believers can sense His sorrows when He called out "My God, My God why have you forsaken me". Jesus was in great sorrow during those times leading up to crucifixion, and during His crucifixion. But the earthly Jesus also had great joy in His life by preaching the kingdom of God, socializing with people, healing people and He loved His apostles. Overall, He was a peaceful and happy earthly man.

Q3. (Isaiah 53:3)

Q. How can Jesus be the Man of Sorrows as well as the one who finds joy in his Father?

A. He experienced sorrow at the disbelief of men especially that of His disciples; he experienced sorrow on the cross at the weight of our sin particularly  at the moment His Father turned His face away from Him to allow Him pay for our sin on our behalf.

Nevertheless he was a joyful Man and and desired and prayed that we should also experience that joy.

Q. How can we experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our lives?

A. By casting our burdens  that cause sorrow unto Him 1 Peter 5:7 and by not worrying about our challenges but praying about them. Philippians 4:6-7

Jesus can be the Man of Sorrow because of his believers. They don’t seem to believe in him and that makes him very sorrowful. He can find joy in his Father because he knows that the Father will make thing good again. We can experience sorrow when the Christian world looks like it is falling apart. But we don’t have to let it dominate our world because we also know that there will be a day when we will see Jesus.

Q3. (Isaiah 53:3) How can Jesus be the Man of Sorrows as well as the one who finds joy in his Father? How can we experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our lives?

Yes, Isaiah 53 describes our Jesus as a Man of Sorrows. From His birth to His crucifixion, He faced rejection. As a baby, His life was in danger when Herod ordered all boy babies to be murdered. And even those who knew Him from a child mocked Him.

I suspect even the "hardness" of the hearts of His own disciples caused Him great sorrow. Mark 16:14

And certainly, Matthew 26:38 and 27:46 speak of a sorrow far greater and intense than any we might ever experience. To be so full of sorrow "even to death" and in the last moments of His life on earth, He feels the separation from His Father in heaven as He took onto Himself the sin of the world.

Thought He was sinless and totally innocent, He took the punishment and the sorrow of being abandoned by GOD. Just as He does from all sin, GOD had to turn away from His own Son as He became sin for us. 2 Corinthians 5:21

Jesus knew that the feelings of abandonment were only for a short time, for as it is written in Psalm 89:33, "Nevertheless My lovingkindness I will not utterly take from him, nor allow My faithfulness to fail."

He knew too that His joy would be made full by the obedience of those who believed in Him, abiding in His love, keeping His Father's commandments as He had done.

"As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full."

Job had an experience with great sorrow. His wife and children, everything he owned was taken from him. His friends accused him of sinning against GOD but in truth, it was the work of Satan.

And in our lives, it will happen, that we experience great sorrow that sometimes comes because we live in a fallen world. Accidents and disease often take the lives of those we love, and just as He spoke to Job, He speaks to us now through His Word as we call to Him for solace in a time of grief.

Loosing possessions is one thing, but there is no greater sorrow than losing someone you love.

When GOD spoke to Job out of the whirlwind Job 38, the first thing He said was (paraphrased my words!!) 'why in heavens name were you listening to those clowns? They all wanted the last word and spoke empty words without any knowledge of Me. So stand up and be the man as I speak with you.'

GOD went on to ask Job if he had been there when He formed the earth, hung the stars, made the seas and set their limits. Was he there when He made the clouds or had he ever commanded the morning?

Job was asked if he had ever made the grass to grow or caused a drop of dew. The questions continue through Job 39; do hawks fly by your wisdom or do eagles fly by your command? And on into Job 40, with this Q asked of Job, "shall the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him? He who rebukes GOD, let him answer it."

As a woman who has been widowed twice I can relate to Job. Both of my husbands were solid Christian men. Devoted to Christ and to me. Their deaths came as a consequence of the fallen nature of this world.

First was death at the hands of a drunken driver, a minor driving illegally after late night binging and the second following a 7 year battle with cancer.

Each time, in the weeks that followed, I am sure I sounded like Job!!

I asked "why" so many times and I was so nearly overwhelmed by sorrow that I forgot what GOD had said to Job, who are you to question Me?

And as I moved forward, I turned the weight of my sorrow onto Him, trusting His Word, trusting that just as His Word says, His way is perfect, His word is proven, and He is a shield to those who trust in Him. Psalm 18:30

And as hard as it may be to understand or commit to, if His way is perfect, then I have no reason to question!

Now, just having faced the one year mark of the passing into glory of my beloved, I am moving on into the final chapters of my life.

I won't guarantee that I will never question GOD's wisdom or circumstances again. But I do know that His response will be just as it was to Job! "who are you to question Me?"

Though I may not see Him behind me, in front of me, to my left or to my right, I do know that He knows the way that I take.

And I do know that when the testing is complete, I will come forth as gold. Job 23:8-10

My faith stands on His Word as it is perfect, sure, right, pure, clean, true, righteous and enduring forever.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:7-9; 19:14

So when Jesus came to the world he took on full humanity. He did not spare himself from the experience of humanity, sorrow and suffering and the myriad of emotions in humanity. He came into a world that was hostile towards him, however he endured and won (1 Corinthians 15:17). He passed the victory on to his followers.

Isaiah 53:3 Jesus was the "man of Sorrows" who could still find joy in the Father, because even though he was despised and rejected by men he was aquainted with grief, but in his humanity he suffered for us and bore our sins. He shall see the fruit of the travails of his soul and be satisfied, because he kept his Father's commands and remained in his love. No greater love has no one than this, "to lay down one's life for one's friends".

We can experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our lives because we know that the Lord endured sorrows for our salvation from sin and it's death. So we help know that what ever trails we suffer, the Lord will help us to over come them.

Q3. (Isaiah 53:3) 

How can Jesus be the Man of Sorrows as well as the one who finds joy in His Father? 

How can we experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our lives?

We often identify Jesus as a Man that was hated and rejected, thinking His life was often filled with sorrow and terrible suffering.

People seldom treated Him with indifference; they either followed Him or plotted against Him. 

We know that He was misunderstood by some of His disciples and even His own human family.

His earthly life was full of trouble, pain, rejection, humiliation, and even sorrow. 

Suggesting a state of deep remorse over the loss of someone loved. 

So, we might find it difficult to think of Jesus as a “Man of Sorrows” yet One who finds joy in His Father.

I think this was only possible because the object of His joy was beyond this world.

We must remember, it was our sorrows and our griefs that He bore; He Himself had no grief or sorrow of His own.

He was supremely happy in His mission here upon earth - for the joy that was set before Him He endured the Cross (Heb. 12:2).

In the same way, we will experience sorrow here on earth, and the only way we can live with it, is my focusing on our Lord Jesus.

To live effectively, we must keep our eyes on Jesus. 

We will stumble if we look away from him to stare at ourselves or at the circumstances surrounding us.

The object of our joy is beyond this world. 

Q3. (Isaiah 53:3) How can Jesus be the Man of Sorrows as well as the one who finds joy in his Father?

My Answer: Jesus can see the big picture which includes His own suffering and the suffering of His followers. He knows the pain He and all of us will suffer as a result of sin. Jesus knows that His blood is the only way to cleanse us of our sins, to make us worthy of eternal life with the Father. That's why He can find joy, knowing that the ultimate outcome is eternal companionship with the Father for Him and all who believe in Him and claim Him as their Savior.

How can we experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our lives? As the saying goes, keep our eyes on the prize. This life and its challenges are temporary. We are headed for the Kingdom of God!

As Man of Sorrows, Jesus grieved over the callousness of man's heart. His joy is in fulfilling the mission that His Father sent Him to do, however, this joy was interrupted when he looked upon the multitude and sees gross unbelief in them.  Jesus must have seen into the centuries to follow, and was greatly pained that still many more would not believe in Him.  As Jesus experienced sorrow in the unbelief of man we too must have compassion on those who hear the gospel and are still in unbelief.

Q3. (Isaiah 53:3) How can Jesus be the Man of Sorrows as well as the one who 

finds joy in his Father? How can we experience sorrow without it coming to

dominate our lives?

1. In his humanity he suffered for us and bore our sins, but in the end,

"he shall see the fruit of the travail of his soul and be satisfied" 

(Isaiah 53:11).  Yet the earthly Jesus also experienced joy and prayed 

that this joy might be shared by his disciples.

1. When we think about Jesus' divine nature and what he went through

and Jesus who gave himself as a ransom for all "men." We should know and

have faith to trust that Jesus will work out everything and because he

do not want us to worry about anything. Worry is sin!

In humility He suffered and bore our sins upon Himself to the cross of calvary.

Therefore as christians, we need to adhere to his sorrow when He cried-out to His father on the cross.

He was in great sorrow in that time towards his crucification and the pain of it.

But, on earth Jesus also had great joy in His life by preaching the Kingdom of God, meeting with people, healing the sick and showing love to one another. In short He was peacefull and a happy person on earth.

Jesus Messiah, suffered for the sins of all people. Such a prophecy is astounding! Who would believe that God would choose to save the world through a humble, suffering servant rather than a glorious king? The idea is contrary to human pride and worldly thinking. But God often works in ways we don’t expect. The Messiah’s strength is shown by humility, suffering, and mercy.

"Wherefore God has highly exalted him and given him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

We experience sorry here on earth but our joy is in Jesus suffered for our sins.

Isaiah 53:3) How can Jesus be the Man of Sorrows as well as the one who finds joy in his Father? How can we experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our lives?

I believe Jesus was a man of sorrows because He was confronted with so much unbelief and the suffering He had to endure for all our sins. He found Joy in the Father because He knew the plan, and that would save all who came to believe in Him.

If we trust the Lord and know He has the best in mind for us, we can have true joy knowing that all things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus can be both the Man of Sorrows and one who finds joy in His Father because of His human nature. As humans we often experience sorrow, joy, and a wide range of other emotions.

We can experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our life by accepting the fact it is only for a season and will soon pass.

• 2 years later...

He is acquainted with sorrows because He went through grief Himself. Also the very fact He spent so much time with His Father every morning to center Himself  on His one true mission in life which was the cross to begin with. He chose not to rely on His own strength but on the Father’s instead. He went through even when it came to the time for His departure from here. He was in such turmoil that he cried tears of blood. 
We can be acquainted with it by learning to feel our emotions naturally and then accepting them as part of the healing process. However we can also learn to pray to the Lord for help when things get hectic and things get out of control. 

Jesus is the Man of Sorrows because of how he suffered on the cross. Because God, the Father separated from Him because of the sins of the world he bore on the cross. Jesus was sorrowful when his disciples deserted Him after He was arrested. He felt sorrow when Peter denied Him three times and when His followers now choose the things of this world over Him. Yet He can be joyful because He knows one-day Satan and his followers will be defeated. That one day all sin, evil, sadness, sickness, disease, sorrow, and death will be gone. And there will be a new heaven and earth and He will reign over it with His saints. Because he knows the ultimate victory belongs to Him. The Father has declared and He only must wait until the Father says it is time. Then He will be our light and we will reign with Him forever.

I believe the only way for us to experience sorrow without being overcome by it is to dwell on the thought that the loved ones who have died are with Him. And one day we will see them again and there will be no more tears. We must focus on the one who suffered for us and look to Him for help and strength. It is only when we hold onto Him and spend time with Him that we can experience joy amid sorrow. Only then can the Spirit have free reign in us to cause us to sing instead of cry; because Jesus has defeated death, hell and the grave.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Isaiah 53:3) How can Jesus be the Man of Sorrows as well as the one who finds joy in his Father?  He likely feels sorrow as much as he can feel joy.  

How can we experience sorrow without it coming to dominate our lives? We are human and therefore, when we get hurt, we feel pain. How not to let it dominate depends largely on your ability to compartmentalize.  Some people drink, some talk to therapists. I watch movies, listen to music or go bird watching. It all depends on what is accessible at the time.