JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

When God gave His name as “I AM” to Moses, He made very clear the pre-existant eternal life, sovereignty, and presence of God apart from and before the creation of anything that was made. This defines the deity of God. As Jesus used the name “I AM” in His declarations of identity (in the book of John), He was clearly revealing His divinity and identity as God.

Jesus is Yahweh: God who is Bread of Life, Light of the World, Gate for the sheep, Good Shepherd, Resurrection and Life, Way and Truth and Life, and the Vine. They are each powerful and supremely meaningful. He often reveals Himself to us through different aspects of His character according to our needs and circumstances. I particularly love His identity as Light, which overcomes the suffocating hopeless darkness of unrighteousness and evil, and the consequences of sin. And His identity as the Way, the Truth, and the Life. This covers showing me how to go where He's leading me, what I can believe is true and real without doubt or question, and the certain hope of eternity with Him. The ultimate “I AM” name is the Resurrection and Life.

Q6. Since Yahweh seems to be formed from “I AM” as God’s own name, what is the significance of Jesus’ “I am” statements? Which of these “I am” statements means the most to you personally?

The significance of Jesus’ “I am” statements show Jesus' participation with the Father in substance and in the office of Divinity when He says that He is the bread of life, the light of the world, the gate for the sheep, the good shepherd, the resurrection and the life,  the way, the truth, and the life, and still among other things, the true vine.  He is all of this so that His creation, man, will be with Him and live for eternity.  I am particularly drawn to the statement, "I am the resurrection and the life," because this is where redemption came for me.

Q6. Since Yahweh seems to be formed from "I AM" as God's own name, what is the significance of Jesus' "I AM" statements?

​When Moses asked God on Mt. Sinai "Who shall I say sent me?" God said "tell them I Am that I Am"....the self existent One, Yahweh!

​In stating:

​I Am the bread of life,

the light of the world,

the gate for the sheep,

the good shepherd,

the resurrection and the life,

the way the truth and the life,

and I am the Vine,

​Jesus was telling the people plainly that He was, and is, revealing, interpreting and making known His Father, and that He is fact Messiah and God in human form.

Which of these "I Am" statements means the most to you personally?

​It's hard to choose just one. On any given day, depending on my circumstances, one may be more special than another. Today, and especially because I just mentioned in Q 5, the struggle with His timing for deliverance of a 38 year trial which He has promised, "I am the Vine" is Who I need Him to be...that life force of strength and sustenance, motivation and nurturing endurance and encouragement. That sense of His holding on tightly to this weak branch, tendrils wrapped tightly... and that as I wait, He is at work not only in me but in the situation.

The scribes & Pharisees picked up on that right away.  They openly rebuked Jesus as having blasphemed--they knew He was referring to Himself as God/Messiah.

I like the Light--we are supposed to be the light in the world.

I also like--the way, the truth, the life--as I witness this is most important!

Since Yahweh seems to be formed from “I AM” as God’s own name, what is the significance of Jesus’ “I am” statements? Which of these “I am” statements means the most to you personally?    

The significance of Jesus "I am" statement is for us to believe in Jesus as the Son of God and to have eternal life. Jesus is declaring his divinity and oneness with the Father.  The statement that means the most to me is "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6).  It is good to know that we have a path to the Father and that is thru Jesus Christ. 

Q6. Since Yahweh seems to be formed from “I AM” as God’s own name, what is the significance of Jesus’ “I am” statements?

Only One other has declared that He is I AM. Therefore I would say that Jesus is God, there can be no other reasoning for this.

Which of these “I am” statements means the most to you personally?

I am the Light of the World. I associate evil with darkness and when you are depressed everything seems to be darker but Jesus is the Light, it chases away the darkness and the light reveals everything. The Lords love is like a radiant light that shines into the darkness of our souls and washes away the shadows.

Q6. Since Yahweh seems to be formed from “I AM” as God’s own name, what is the significance of Jesus’ “I am” statements? Which of these “I am” statements means the most to you personally?

Jesus statement "I am" signifies that he is declaring his divinity and oneness with the Father.

The best "I am" statement to me is that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life John:14:6.

through his death and resurrection ,Jesus is the way to the Father. As truth, he is the revelation of God, as life, he is the revelation (communication) of God to us. 

Jesus is revealing who He is as God in these statements.  They are beautiful, poignant statements that show the love of God for us, his care for us in the most compassionate form for us to understand.

If asked to pick a favorite today it would be" I am the bread of life".  I feed on His Word everyday, without Him I would surely perish to be lost forever in a bottomless eternity of emptiness.  All who come to Him will never die.

God bless!

Jen

John 6:38

Q6. 

Since Yahweh seems to be formed from "I AM" as God's own name, what is the significance of Jesus' "I am" statements? 

Which of these "I am" statements means the most to you personally?

Jesus is declaring His divinity and oneness with the Father – claiming equality with Jehovah. 

“I am the good shepherd” is the one that means most to me.

Jesus is the good Shepherd because He gives His life for the sheep. 

As well as caring for the sheep daily, watching, feeding, and protecting them. 

This has been true for my life. He has always been there for me. 

Not only does He care for His sheep, but he knows His sheep and they know Him.

So there is a loving intimacy between Shepherd and sheep. 

The Shepherd also knows the weak and the strong, the stubborn ones; as well as the hurts and the needs of every sheep. 

He knows all my weaknesses and all my sinfulness as well. 

And the sheep know and trust their Shepherd. 

As believers we trust Him fully. 

Q6. Since Yahweh seems to be formed from "I AM" as God's own name, what is the significance of Jesus' "I am" statements?

My Answer: God declares His sovereignty globally as I AM with no qualifiers. I AM is all encompassing and overwhelming in its sheer magnitude and magnificence. Jesus' I AM statements provide specific context and help us to identify with Him on a more personal level. Jesus is God and is I AM but as the Son of God, He is more approachable.

Which of these "I am" statements means the most to you personally?

My Answer: I tried to choose one or two but I realized that the combined statements are Who Jesus is to me. I cannot isolate one from the other as being more significant to me.

Jesus is declaring His divinity and oneness with the Father – claiming equality with Jehovah. 

“I am the good shepherd” is the one that means most to me.
Jesus is the good Shepherd because He gives His life for the sheep. 
As well as caring for the sheep daily, watching, feeding, and protecting them. 
This has been true for my life. He has always been there for me. 
Not only does He care for His sheep, but he knows His sheep and they know Him.
So there is a loving intimacy between Shepherd and sheep. 
The Shepherd also knows the weak and the strong, the stubborn ones; as well as the hurts and the needs of every sheep. 
He knows all my weaknesses and all my sinfulness as well. 
And the sheep know and trust their Shepherd. 

As believers we trust Him fully.

Q6Since Yahweh seems to be formed from "I AM" as God's own name, 

what is the significance of Jesus' "I am" statements? Which of these "I am"

statements means the most to you personally?

1. John's Gospel includes a number of passages that emphasize Jesus' deity

by placing two Greek words together, egō eimi, "I am."

It is no coincidence that John emphasizes Jesus' "I AM" statements. He wants

his readers to believe in Jesus as the Son of God and have eternal life (John 20:31).

1. "I am the bread of life" (John 6:35, 48, 51).

2. "I am the light of the world" (John 8:12, cf. 9:5).

3. "I am the good shepherd" (John 10:11, 14).

4. "I am the resurrection and the life" (John 11:25).

5. "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6).

Q6. Since Yahweh seems to be formed from "I AM" as God's own name, what is the significance of Jesus' "I am" statements? Which of these "I am" statements means the most to you personally?

Jesus referred to Himself as "I Am" in many verses. The significance of His testimony was that He knew Who He was and why He was on earth!

In Mark 14, when asked by the high priest, "Are You the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?" Jesus replied, "I Am. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven."

In John 6:35-51, Jesus answered those who were seeking signs, "I Am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst."

Jesus repeated this testimony of Himself several times.

Jesus said "I Am the Light of the world" in John 8:12 and in vs 58 He said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."

In John 10:7-10 Jesus says, "I am the door" and "I am the good shepherd"

In John 11, Jesus testifies that He is "the resurrection"; in John 13 "Master (Teacher) and LORD". In John 14:6, Jesus said, "I Am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."; in John 15:1, Jesus said, "I Am the true Vine"; in Acts 9, to Saul (Paul) on the Damascus road He said, "I AM Jesus"; In Revelation 1 He said "I Am the Alpha and the Omega"; "I Am the First and the Last"; "I am He who lives and was dead, and behold, I Am alive forevermore"; In Revelation 2 He said, "I am He who searches the minds and hearts";

In Revelation 22:16 He said, "I Am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star."

And my favorite verse is vs 20 as He says, "Surely, I Am coming quickly."

Each time I read through the last of John's revelation, I thrill at the knowledge that His coming will be quickly, it will be sudden and without delay!

I've always loved surprise parties!

I often think of 2 Timothy 4 frequently and pray that I am longing for His return as I should be, waiting expectantly for His appearing. And whether He comes before I die or not, makes no difference. His return will be right on time!

Although all the "I am's" are significant and run as deep as God himself. For the sake of answering the question I have chosen: "I am the light of the world" (John 8:12, cf. 9:5). In John's gospel, chapter one "In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcomeit (v4,5). Jesus told his disciples that they also were the light of the world, therefore so are his modern day disciples (Matt 5:14). There is no darkness in all the world that cannot overcome the light (John 1:5). He came to bring light to all mankind (John 1:4).

Q6. Since Yahweh seems to be formed from "I AM" as God's own name, what is the significance of Jesus' "I am" statements? Which of these "I am" statements means the most to you personally?

The Lord told Abram, “I am God Almighty; serve me faithfully and live a blameless life.” God has the same message for us today. We are to obey the Lord in every respect because he is God—that is reason enough. If you don’t think the benefits of obedience are worth it, consider who God is—the only one with the power and ability to meet your every need.

Samuel was probably three years old-the customary age for weaning-when his mother left him at the Tabernacle. By saying, “I am giving him to the LORD,” Hannah meant that she was dedicating Samuel to God for lifetime service. She did not, of course, forget her much-wanted son. She visited him regularly, and each year she brought him a robe just like Eli’s (2:19). In later years, Samuel lived in Ramah (7:17), his parents’ hometown (1:19-20).

One day God will bring all his faithful people together. We need not fear because (1) God is with us (“I am with you”), (2) God has established a relationship with us (“I am your God”), and (3) God gives us assurance of his strength, help, and victory over sin and death. We should be aware of all the ways God has helped us.

“I am God and not a mere mortal.” It is easy for us to define God in terms of our own expectations and behavior. In so doing, we make him just slightly larger than ourselves. In reality, God is infinitely greater than we are. We should seek to become like him rather than attempt to remake him in our image.

The phrase “then they will know that I am the LORD”  occurs 65 times in the book of Ezekiel. The purpose of all God’s punishment was not to take revenge but to impress upon the people the truth that the Lord is the only true and living God. People in Ezekiel’s day were worshiping man-made idols and calling them gods. Today money, sex, and power have become idols for many. Punishment will come upon all who put other things ahead of God. It is easy to forget that the Lord alone is God, the supreme authority and the only source of eternal love and life. Remember that God may use the difficulties of your life to teach you that he alone is God.

Many people feel restless and dissatisfied. They wonder: (1) If I am in God’s will, why am I so tired and unfulfilled? (2) What is the meaning of life? (3) When I look back on it all, will I be happy with my accomplishments? (4) Why do I feel burned out, disillusioned, dry? (5) What is to become of me? Solomon tests our faith, challenging us to find true and lasting meaning in God alone. As we take a hard look at our lives, as Solomon did, we will see how important serving God is over all other options. Perhaps God is asking you and me to rethink on our purpose and direction in life, just as Solomon did in Ecclesiastes.

Men have been startled by the boldness of Jesus’ question or by the words “I am he,” this was a declaration of his divinity (Exodus 3:14). Or perhaps they were going to be overcome by his obvious power and authority.

Jesus’ question to the leader who came and called him “Good teacher” was, in essence, “Do you know who I am?” Undoubtedly the man did not catch the implications of Jesus’ reply—that the man was right in calling him good because Jesus truly is God.

The Christian faith goes beyond knowing what others believe. It requires us to hold beliefs for ourselves. When Jesus asks, “Who do you say I am?” he wants us to take a stand. Who do you say Jesus is?

• 2 weeks later...

The significance of Jesus "I Am" statements is, Jesus is declaring His divinity and oneness with the Father.

The "I am" statement that means the most to me personally is, " I am the resurrection and the life" because He conquered death and the grave when He rose again on the third day.

• 2 years later...

The significance of Jesus’ statements is that He is declaring His oneness and unity with the Father. That He and his Father both are divine and are to be obeyed.

For me, the one saying that He is the good shepherd means a lot to me. It means that He will never lead me astray and that He will always be here to protect me. He will defend me from evil and make the way clear for me.

Also, the verse saying that He is the vine sticks with me. For without Him I can do nothing. He is the one who gives me life and sustenance. He is the one who gives joy and peace and strength for each day.

The statements say that Jesus is who say He is. It confirms that He is God in the flesh come down to earth to save us from our sins and do God’s will. I am The Resurrection and the Life because it speaks to me about how I will see my loved ones again in heaven.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:28 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q6. Since Yahweh seems to be formed from “I AM” as God’s own name, what is the significance of Jesus’ “I am” statements?  The statements that include "I am" is declaring His divinity and oneness with His Father.  He is saying that he is God to all.

Which of these “I am” statements means the most to you personally? I love the one that says, "I am the light of the world." 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:28 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  To me the I am and what it means to me is: that He is the I AM - He is everything we need or ever will need. - I am your Life, I am your Hope, I am your food, drink, happiness, joy, truth, peace, righteousness, song, delight - you could go on and on......

b.  Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. (John 14:6)  All the I AM's are so wonderful, but this word means the most to me because I want to go His Way, walk in and hear His Truth, and live His Life through me.