JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. True Light

Q1. (John 1:9; 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the True Light? In what sense is he the Light of the World? In what sense are you the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)? Why do you think people resist Jesus’ light, his truth, his view of the Father, our world, and eternal life? How does the world’s so-called “light” differ from Jesus’ light? What can obstruct Jesus’ light in this world? What can obstruct our light?

• 2 months later...

Q1. (John 1:9; 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the True Light? In what sense is he the Light of the World? In what sense are you the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)? Why do you think people resist Jesus' light, his truth, his view of the Father, our world, and eternal life? How does the world's so-called "light" differ from Jesus' light? What can obstruct Jesus' light in this world? What can obstruct our light?

LIGHT AND LOVE are two of the most penetrating gifts one can access.  Love is embraced easily because the object of our affection is evident.  Jesus as the light is up against clear and present pleasure versus a delay that spans to eternity.  In a society that craves immediate gratification, ease of access and action at the touch of a button; it takes everything we have to believe but BELIEVE we must.  What can obstruct our light is giving up the hope that is contained in belief.  The world's light is instant both in its pleasure and access; both disappear soon after the experience leaving guilt and destruction in its place.  The only thing that can obstruct our light is our decision to ignore the Word and stop believing.

Q1(John 1:9: 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the True light?

​Jesus is not only the creator of all light in the Universe, but He is the "genuine, perfect, steadfast Light"( amp), in whom there is no shadow of darkness or turning.

In what sense is he the light of the World?

​Jesus entered our dark world to expose the darkness and became our deliverer...the only WAY into the Light.

In what sense are you the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)

​Jesus has tasked us with being His light bearers....just by "being in Christ" and not hiding His light "under a cover" whenever I share testimony about Him (as John did),  light shines into darkness. Yielding to His Spirit so that His "fruit" of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, perseverance, meekness, self control, shines His light into darkened lives where most of those qualities are not "normal."

Before Joyce Myers was on T.V. a friend told me about her radio program. I listened one day as she spoke about being light bearers. She asked someone to turn off all the lights in that huge auditorium. She described the pitch blackness for those of us listening. Then she had one person in the middle of the room who had been asked beforehand to just strike a match without any fanfare. Every eye in the room turned toward that tiny pin point of light. I've never forgotten hearing that and realized that my little pin point of light can be huge in a darkened heart.

How does the world's so-called "light" differ from Jesus' light?

​Our fallen nature is prideful...we want to make and find our own way, and SHINE...every religion in the world (other than Christianity) offers a way to Heaven through personal effort and prideful works, which appeals to our fallen nature. (I was told as a new believer this analogy: "A man fell into a deep pit. One by one persons of all the different religions came by, saw him in the deep pit unable to extricate himself. Each offered their own brand of religion: "Meditate", or "keep these rules", or "use your mind and will to think your way out"...etc. Then Jesus came by, saw him, climbed down into the pit and lifted him out."  Jesus Who finished it all is the difference

Why do you think people resist Jesus" light, his truth, his view of the Father, our world, and eternal life?

​Like bugs that run for the cover of darkness when the rock or board above them is removed, human nature is resistant to change...we are more comfortable with what is familiar, even if normal may be darkness and misery.

Many, are in denial about the true condition...and believe they are fine, and don't need to be "saved" from anything!

What can obstruct Jesus'  light in this world?

Our unwillingness to allow His light to shine in and through us and we have an enemy who wants the darkness to remain.

​​What can obstruct our light?

Pride, fear, "going along to get along," apathy, ....When I went through a period of rebellion years ago, the last thing I wanted

​to do was to talk about Jesus.

(John 1:9; 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the True Light? In what sense is he the Light of the World? In what sense are you the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)? Why do you think people resist Jesus’ light, his truth, his view of the Father, our world, and eternal life? How does the world’s so-called “light” differ from Jesus’ light? What can obstruct Jesus’ light in this world? What can obstruct our light?     

Jesus is the True Light because he is the one that helps us to see our way to God and shows us how to walk along the way.  We are the light of the world because of our relationship with Jesus.  If we live for Christ, our light will shine showing others what Christ is like.  People resist Jesus' light because they are not willing to live in a relationship with him.  Jesus and our light can be obstructed if we try to hide it and not let it shine. 

Q1. (John 1:9; 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the True Light?

My Answer: "The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world." (John 1:9) 

In what sense is he the Light of the World?

My Answer: "I am the light of the worldWhoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)

In what sense are you the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)?

My Answer: In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus' disciples are "the light of the world" (Matthew 5:14)

Why do you think people resist Jesus' light, his truth, his view of the Father, our world, and eternal life?

My Answer: I think we inherently resist authority of any type, even as very young children. We don't like discipline and perceive authority as a limitation to our freedom of choice. Jesus is resisted because we don't initially understand His motivation, that being of tremendous love for us, so we resist Him to our own detriment.

My Answer: Jesus' light is that of God the Father, a pure light of love, eternal life with God. The world's light is that of Satan, a light of evil and destruction, eternal separation from God.

What can obstruct Jesus' light in this world?

My Answer: For the unbeliever, everything obstructs Jesus' light in this world because in our own power we do not have the strength to defend ourselves from Satan's deception.

What can obstruct our light?

My Answer: As believers, nothing can separate us from Jesus.

Q1. (John 1:9; 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the True Light? In what sense is he the Light of the World? In what sense are you the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)? Why do you think people resist Jesus' light, his truth, his view of the Father, our world, and eternal life? How does the world's so-called "light" differ from Jesus' light? What can obstruct Jesus' light in this world? What can obstruct our light?

He is the True Light because He is light, the giver of light and the one through whom we are translated to the kingdom of light.

Only through Him can the world experience true light that leads to salvation.

We are the children if light because the Light Jesus Christ shine through us.

People who reject the Light are those whose work are dark and they fo nit want the light to expose it.

What can obstruct the light of Jesus from us is our attitude and failure to avail ourselves to the Source of life.

Q1. (John 1:9; 8:12) 

In what sense is Jesus the True Light?

In what sense is He the Light of the World? 

In what sense are you the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)? 

Why do you think people resist Jesus' light, His truth, His view of the Father, our world, and eternal life? 

What can obstruct Jesus' light in this world? 

Jesus is the True Light since He is the full revelation of God’s Truth. 

Just as Jesus is the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world; He is also the Light of the World that brings Life. 

Since Jesus is the source of the True Light, we as Christians are to reflect His Light. Our lives are to display the teachings of the Word.

Our world does not recognise Jesus, His Light, His Truth, His view of the Father, our world, and eternal life, because those who love sin hate Light.

Jesus the True Light exposes their sinfulness. The world’s so called light is human righteousness, whereas Jesus’ Light is Divine righteousness. 

Human righteousness is based on human achievement with the help of Satan. Jesus has accomplished it all on the Cross. 

The world cannot see, understand or comprehend spiritual truths. Their minds are darkened, and there is no ability to understand the Truth. 

It is only when we receive the True Light that we suddenly see things we have never seen before. We are granted an understanding of life’s mysteries.

Our light can fade if we do not persevere with our prayers, our study of the Word, and our fellowship with our Lord and Saviour, acknowledging Him in everything we do.

Often, the word "light" is used as a metaphor for the power of understanding in moral or spiritual truths.
Many years ago I observed something about light that everyone has seen but perhaps what they saw didn't impact them as it did me, I guess you could say that the light went on in my head!
If you are sitting in a very dark room, if the light is on in the adjoining room, and the door is opened between the two, the light comes into the darkened room, but the darkness does not escape into the lighted room!
It seemed such a simple thing, something obvious and known, but I had never paid attention to it before,
And GOD's truth, His Word, His wisdom, knowledge and understanding is like that lighted room.
When it encounters darkness, it penetrates it, just as it did when the door of a darkened room is opened.
The observation that I made at that moment has clarified many things for me over the years, especially spiritual things.

Jesus is the Light of the world. When John the Baptist said that he had been sent to be a witness to the Light, he was speaking both literally and metaphorically.
Jesus is the Creator of all things (Ephesians 3:9; Colossians 1:16; Revelation 4:11) including the light that we receive from the sun which is the center of our solar system that He created, "upholding all things by the word of His power." (Hebrews 1:3)
But as He said in John 8:12, "I Am the Light of the world", He too was speaking both literally and metaphorically.
Jesus knew without a doubt that He was the Creator and sustainer of all things, both seen and unseen, of the light that shines from the sun, and the light that is the only source of true spiritual knowledge and understanding. It is His light that brings comfort, peace and salvation.

Just as our own moon makes no light of it's own, but reflects the light of the sun, the same is for the world we live in. There is no light on earth save the light that comes from GOD through those who have put their faith and trust in GOD in Christ Jesus.

And as long as there are believers on this earth there will be His light. But the moment He comes to take His bride from the earth, the light will be gone. The sun will still shine for a while, but the light of His Word will be gone, not extinguished, just translated.
As it is, the world is growing darker by the minute, and I can't imagine how dark it will be when all of GOD's people are gone!

[There are caves that allow visitors to experience total darkness. The kind of paralyzing darkness that would keep a person standing totally still for fear of falling. Not a glimmer of light, not the slightest outline of any form. Though I speak metaphorically of course, this is the kind of darkness that I think is coming.]

If we consider how remarkable our solar system is, the orbits of each planet and the moon around our sun, it is like a diagram of each Christian's life as it not only revolves around Him, but is sustained by Him, just as the earth and the other planets are sustained by the sun.

Just before Jesus said that we (His disciples) were to let our "light shining before men", He said we were to be "salt" (Matthew 5:13-14)
And just as necessary as the light is to the world, so is salt.
Unless our lives are totally focused and dependent on Him, we can no more reflect His light than we can distribute His salt.
A Christian without salt and light is an oxymoron. The human flesh and will cannot produce salt and light, it comes only by His grace as a Christian keeps their life focused on Him.
And in all ways we are to be His witness, as we live by and through Him, walking as children of light "in goodness, righteousness and truth" (Ephesians 5:8); making sure our speech is always seasoned with His salt, His grace (Colossians 4:6); making sure that our lives reflect Him in every thing we say and do.

As we continue to grow in Christ, using our talents and love of our Savior to witness to those we meet, we will find that many will resist the knowledge of Him.
For some it is because of their own feelings of "self" for they believe they are intrinsically good, and they can't accept the idea that they need a Savior.
There are others who have fallen under the false teachings of the world's system, and then there are some who though they believe in GOD and in Christ Jesus too, they love the world and all of it's pleasures and will not bend their knee to Him.
I can say for certain that I have heard people say, "I know I am going to hell but...."
They are willing to face an eternity in hell rather than submit their life to Him.

Let us all determine to be as He said, "a city that is set on a hill" not hidden, being a light in this ever darkening world!

Q1. (John 1:9; 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the True Light? In what sense is he the Light of the World? In what sense are you the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)? Why do you think people resist Jesus’ light, his truth, his view of the Father, our world, and eternal life? How does the world’s so-called “light” differ from Jesus’ light? What can obstruct Jesus’ light in this world? What can obstruct our light?

It is declared in scripture that Jesus is the light of the world (John 8:1). All of creation was made through him (John 1:2), therefore the physical light also-the sun and the moon (Genesis 1:3). He is also the light of the world in the sense that he enlightens (John 1:9 New American Standard Bible) lives with the presence of God and truth. Encountering the Light Of The World demands a response and change from the recipient (John 14:15). Jesus told his followers that they were the light of the world, in the sense of enlightening others-by their deeds (Matthew 5:14ff).

People resist Jesus light because they do not want to come to the light. They do not need the light, so they think. They do not want to be in submission to God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit (John 5:50). The world offers glamour and excitement but is evil and does not count for eternal life. It is of the devil.

Q1. (John 1:9; 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the True Light? In what sense is he the Light of the World? In what sense are you the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)? Why do you think people resist Jesus’ light, his truth, his view of the Father, our world, and eternal life? How does the world’s so-called “light” differ from Jesus’ light? What can obstruct Jesus’ light in this world? What can obstruct our light

God is light and Jesus is Only Begotten therefore Jesus is the true light.

This world is darkness and Jesus came into the world as the light of the world.  In Him there is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5

Jesus lives in us (true believers) and His light shines in us (Matthew 5:14)

Men love darkness rather than light because their deeds are evil (John 3:19)

Jesus is the true light.  The world's light comes from men whose deeds are evil.

Denying Christ can obstruct Jesus' light  in this world.

Squelching the Spirit will obstruct the Spirit through whom we get our light

God Bless,

Jen

Ephesians 5:8-10

John 1:9, Jesus is the True Light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. Jn. 8:12, Jesus proclaimed " I am the light of the world".

Jn. 1:4, in the sense "in Him was life, and that life was the Light of the world"

Matthew 5:14a Jesus stated " you are the light of the world" :16 "In the same way, let your (our) light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in Heaven"

People resist Jesus light because they love the darkness of the world better. They do not know or believe in him or his promise of eternal life. They love the world more because it promises the ways of fame and fortune. Who would want to live by a God who loves us rather than the things of material.

The worlds light promises ways that most people prefer, unbridled immorality, riches, position in society and the ability to do as you wish. Jesus light gives us eternal life, a life of moral character, love, faith and the ability to know God Himself.

Things that obstruct Jesus light are beliefs that a person doing good can earn eternal life. Others do not want to except the moral character of a God given light and eternal life. Our light can be obstructed not only by the culture of society today, but our own willingness to be a witness of the light of Jesus.     

Jesus is the True Light because He brought light to a dark world. He shines bright and no sin can hide from Him. People resist the light because they want to keep sinning and are afraid of what the light will show. Jesus light never goes out. It shines bright all the time. His great light is nothing like the light we know. We are the light of the world by being a true servant for Christ. All the wickedness we see around us obstruct our light. Jesus is the light so nothing can obstruct His light.

In Him is no darkness at all.  He is the truth as well as the light.

He brings the message of truth to the whole world.

We are God's ambassadors--we should be reflecting Jesus in our daily lives.

They resist because they don't want to give up their evil deeds.

It is limited--God's light outshines them all!

Persecution--satan's attacks.

our sin.

Jesus is the True Light since He is the full revelation of God’s Truth. 

Just as Jesus is the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world; He is also the Light of the World that brings Life. 

Since Jesus is the source of the True Light, we as Christians are to reflect His Light. Our lives are to display the teachings of the Word.

Our world does not recognise Jesus, His Light, His Truth, His view of the Father, our world, and eternal life, because those who love sin hate Light.

Jesus the True Light exposes their sinfulness. The world’s so called light is human righteousness, whereas Jesus’ Light is Divine righteousness. 

Human righteousness is based on human achievement with the help of Satan. Jesus has accomplished it all on the Cross. 

The world cannot see, understand or comprehend spiritual truths. Their minds are darkened, and there is no ability to understand the Truth. 

It is only when we receive the True Light that we suddenly see things we have never seen before. We are granted an understanding of life’s mysteries.

Our light can fade if we do not persevere with our prayers, our study of the Word, and our fellowship with our Lord and Saviour, acknowledging Him in everything we do.

Q1. (John 1:9; 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the True Light? In what sense is He the Light of the World?

He is the True Light of the world in the sense that He bring spiritual light.

Why do you think people resist Jesus’ light, his truth, his view of the Father, our world, and eternal life?

I think people resisted it because they had their own ideas of what He should be and what He should do. They were very hard headed and stubborn in their ways. They knew what they wanted and nothing else would do.

How does the world’s so-called “light” differ from Jesus’ light?

Jesus brought spiritual light to the world and not physical light.

What can obstruct Jesus’ light in this world?

Us

Again us. If we do not shine for Jesus and put our light on a pedestal then we are hampering not only ourselves but also Jesus.          

We, like John the Baptist, are not the source of God’s light; we merely reflect that light. Jesus Christ is the true Light; he helps us see our way to God and shows us how to walk along that way. But Christ has chosen to reflect his light through his followers to an unbelieving world, perhaps because unbelievers are not able to bear the full blazing glory of his light firsthand. The word witness indicates our role as reflectors of Christ’s light always to point them to Christ, the Light.

There was the true Light. As opposed to the imperfect, incomplete. Some of us are enlightened in some degree and enlightened in Christ; some by nature, some by conscience, and some by Bible revelation.

Christ gives light to every man. This does not mean universal salvation or general revelation or even inner illumination. Instead, it means that Christ as the Light shines on each person either in salvation or in illuminating him with regard to his sin and coming judgment.

Jesus offers his light to the whole world, to all the nations, as suggested an allusion to Isa 42:6. Walking in darkness will make us stumble or fall from the right path or being destroyed.“The darkness can never extinguish the light” means the darkness of evil never has and never will overcome God’s light. Jesus Christ is the Creator of life, and his life brings light to humankind. In his light, we see ourselves as we really are (sinners in need of a Savior). When we follow Jesus, the true Light, we can avoid walking blindly and falling into sin. He lights the path ahead of us so we can see how to live. He removes the darkness of sin from our lives. Have you allowed the light of Christ to shine into your life? Let Christ guide your life, and you’ll never need to stumble in darkness.

Jesus was speaking in the part of the Temple where the offerings were put (8:20), where candles burned to symbolize the pillar of fire that led the people of Israel through the wilderness (Exodus 13:21, 22). In this context, Jesus called himself the light of the world. The pillar of fire represented God’s presence, protection, and guidance. Jesus brings God’s presence, protection, and guidance. Is he the light of your world?

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus is the true light because He is the light that brings life and is a light that can never be extinguished. As we follow Christ we can never walk in darkness because He is the true light, inextinguishable. This is the light of the world that gives life. Every man who seeks eternal life can have it as they believe and receive the true light, Christ Jesus.  Believers, in Christ, will live in the light of Christ and as they continue the journey the world, will see the light exuding out of them in their everyday life. 

The world resist Jesus’ light, his truth, his view of the Father and the only way to eternal life because they refuse to accept the life that goes along with accepting the True Light and the call to living a holy life.  They prefer to live a lie, that they too have a light, called philosophy; that brings them to the edge of truth and veer off in a distorted darkness where light is forever hid. Until there is radical repentance that person will never enjoy living in the light of Jesus, the light of this world.

Jesus is the True Light because he makes us see the sins that we have in us. Jesus shines the light on the World and we can see what is sinful in the world. We are the light of the world when we are doing the things that Jesus wants us to be doing. The people resist Jesus’s light, his truth, his view of the Father, our world, and eternal life because they want to do what is pleasing to their evil spirit.

I don’t think that the world has a “light”. It seems to be all darkness. Look at the mess that the world is in. Following the idols of the world will obstruct Jesus’ light. This is also true with us when we don’t follow Jesus.

• 2 years later...

Jesus is the True Light because He is the True Source of wisdom for all men. All wisdom in men comes from Him. Human intellect comes from His brightness and reason itself comes from this Logos who is the eternal reason. Some of the most prominent rabbis understand what Is. 60:1 means and what it entails. That verse speaks of the Messiah who was to come and illuminate Israel. They believed Messiah was the very word. This heavenly light shines into every man and exposes all sin and convicts of sin, righteousness, and judgment. Through this light is when the conscience is produced or created. We are light of the world because are followers of His light and we shine light into the darkness as well. I believe they resist it because they want to live life on their own terms and not on His terms. Also they don’t want to give up control to Him and face up to the sins of their past either. The world’s light is not light at all. It’s complete darkness; a devoid of light. Sin of any kind can obstruct His light. Sin can obstruct ours as well. 
Adam Clarke Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible

Jesus is the "True Light" because He gives light to everyone. He shows them the truth about themselves. People cannot hide from His light. He points the way to salvation and makes men and women see that they are sinners and need Him. Yet, they would rather stay in their sins and try to hide or utterly reject Him. 

Jesus is the light of the world because He shines in the darkness and the darkness cannot understand it or overcome it. He is greater than Satan and all the demons. He attacks the darkness and those that hide behind it and shines a light on their actions and the sins they commit. No one can hide from His light.

Jesus is the light of the world because He shines in the darkness. And the darkness and all who hide in it do not understand it and they cannot overcome it. For Jesus is greater than the Prince of Darkness and his followers or demons. He attacks the darkness and shines His light on it and the ones who hide their sins. 
Jesus is true light because He gives light and life to everyone. He shows them the truth about themselves. He points the way to salvation and makes them see that they are sinners and need Him. But they would rather stay in their sin and hide so they reject what He says and who He is.
I am the light of the world because I am one of His followers. He shines His light on me so I can be a beacon to others. 
People resist it because they would rather keep on sinning and live in darkness. They know they are sinning, but they don’t care. They don’t want to hear about sin or heaven or hell. They think they can get to heaven on their own merits and that they do not need Him.
The world’s light is not light at all but darkness because they are blinded by Satan. He has blinded them to the truth. They believe that they can get to heaven their own way and that His truth is too hard to take. It is too narrow minded. That everyone can get to their own version of heaven. They live in darkness or shadow so that none can see their deeds. But Jesus’ light opens their eyes to the truth; because He is the only way to heaven. 
The things that can obstruct His light in the world is when His followers don’t obey Him and fall away into sin. When His Children fight among themselves and people in the world see it and turn away from the truth or when a disaster or death happens and people blame God for it. Light is obstructed when people choose to ignore God’s call and go on sinning instead.
Our light is obstructed when we fail to listen to His word. When we don’t spend time with Him as we should. When we don’t ask forgiveness for our sins or when we choose to forgive others. When we allow something or someone to take His place.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (John 1:9; 8:12) In what sense is Jesus the True Light? In what sense is he the Light of the World? According to the notes Jesus is the true light because he gives light to the world. It's hard to say who is the "true" light because the Bible references the Father as the light as well. I think from the perspective of the New Testament, Jesus' arrival in the world as "the Messiah" is thought to be the light.

In what sense are you the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)? I consider myself the light in a sense that my work as a journalist is to report the truth to my readers.  

Why do you think people resist Jesus’ light, his truth, his view of the Father, our world, and eternal life? I don't think people resist Jesus' light at all.  The light referenced in the passages seem to indicate a title with a symbolism of truth, hope and deliverance. It's my understanding that we embrace these themes all which promise salvation. 

How does the world’s so-called “light” differ from Jesus’ light?  The world's light is the life of men and because life on earth accompanies death, the light here is also darkness. 

What can obstruct Jesus’ light in this world? What can obstruct our light? This could be a reference to Satan's spread of darkness upon men. And it's this darkness that prevents man from seeing the light of salvation.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  Jesus is the True Light -"The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world." (John 1:9)

b.  I am the light of the world because my body is the temple of the Holy Ghost and the light of God lives in me.  Jesus gives spiritual light to anyone who looks to Him.  

c.  People resist Jesus light, the light of life because:   Light (Jesus) has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil." (John 3:19)

d.  The world's light is all glitz and glamour, leads to sin but offers nothing, a dead end, only temporal excitement but nothing lasting.

e.  In this world, Jesus light is obstructed by sin. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: (Romans 5:20b)

f.  Our light is obstructed by sin.

e.  

• 1 year later...

Jesus is the true light because he is the one who lights the way for everyone. This world is in darkness and they do not realize that the true light has come with Jesus. The world searches for truth and light but they will only get that through Jesus. Jesus shines through me. God has made his home within me. Jesus speaks through me to draw others to him. That is how I am a light to. Jesus expects me to tell the truth to people which brings light into their lives and situation. 

People resist truth because their hearts are hardened to truth. People want to accept their own philosophy of thinking. The world gives a false light their deceiving themselves. Different things can obstruct Jesus light and the light he shines through us. Men's philosophies, hard hearts. The devil blinds people by having them think that how they see things are accurate and true when it's not. Truth only comes from The Lord who reveals truth to us with open ears.