JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Bridegroom and Husband

Q4. (2 Corinthians 11:2) What does it take for us to be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride? How faithful are we to Christ? To what degree do we partake with the adulterous and sinful generation that Jesus decried? What does the marriage relationship say about love, communication, and intimacy with Christ?

• 2 months later...

Q4. (2 Corinthians 11:2) What does it take for us to be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride? How faithful are we to Christ? To what degree do we partake with the adulterous and sinful generation that Jesus decried? What does the marriage relationship say about love, communication, and intimacy with Christ?

TO BE PRESENTED AS HIS BRIDE IS TO FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS UNTIL HE COMES.  Faithfulness to Christ is a constant struggle; temptation is always on the horizon.  However, I have found that  what He said is true in 1 Corinthians, He will give us a way out.  Sometimes even when we are kicking and screaming to stay in as directed by our flesh; if necessary, he will remove us bodily.  In retrospect, the joy is greater than the indulgence. The marriage relationship means the search is over YOU ARE THE ONE!

Q4 (2 Corinthians 11:2) What does it take for us to be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride?

​It took an invitation and introduction and then a "Yes!" to His offer of Salvation which washed me in His blood and rendered me pure and virginal. ​It started as a blind date on my end, but I accepted and found Him to be all and more than I could ever dream..

How faithful are we to Christ? To what degree do we partake with the adulterous and sinful generation that Jesus decried?

​I can't speak for anyone but myself. (He showed me that I'm not a "fruit inspector" and to keep my eyes on Him rather than on others.) In my early walk, I rebelled outright to have my way with raised fist a few times, and the fact that He allowed me to pursue my own way, and didn't stop me frightened me...and showed me the potential and freedom I have to pursue the wrong things....that was enough to cause me to be like the lamb with the broken leg which the Good Shepherd carries....from then on I have wanted to stay close and to avoid the traps and land mines the enemy has set for me. I have thanked Jesus for allowing me to see the potential for evil in me to stray and gave Him permission to stop me in my tracks and to keep me close to Him. He has remained faithful!

What does the marriage relationship say about love, communication and intimacy with Christ?

As His bride it speaks of emotional and spiritual intimacy, honest communication, a soft place to fall, grace and mercy rather than angry accusations or blaming. Understanding. Listening with the heart, not just hearing words with the ears. It speaks of shelter, security and acceptance, and of continual welcome into His Presence...the things every bride longs for such as provision and sharing and the knowledge that the Groom has only the best interest of His bride at heart because of His deep love and appreciation for her, so that yielding to His leadership and wishes is a pleasure. Just writing that brought tears!

​Even so, come quickly Lord Jesus to claim your Bride!!!!

Q4. (2 Corinthians 11:2) What does it take for us to be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride?

My Answer: "I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him." (2 Corinthians 11:2) To be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride, we must accept His free gift of grace, the cleansing of His blood which erases our sin, making us pure virgin brides.

How faithful are we to Christ?

My Answer: I can speak only for myself. I'm not consistent in my walk with Him however He continues to pursue me, I am never separated from him.

To what degree do we partake with the adulterous and sinful generation that Jesus decried?

My Answer: Same as previous answer.

What does the marriage relationship say about love, communication, and intimacy with Christ?

My Answer: Any good marriage has a foundation built on love, communication and intimacy. These are the same principles that anchor a good relationship with Christ.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 11:2) 

What does it take for us to be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride? 

How faithful are we to Christ? 

To what degree do we partake with the adulterous and sinful generation that Jesus decried? 

What does the marriage relationship say about love, communication, and intimacy with Christ?

We are to remain loyal and obedient to the Word of Christ. Similar to an engaged bride to be married, there is the responsibility of the bride to remain pure to her pledged husband.

In the same way that wives are commanded to submit to their own husbands, are we to submit to Christ’s authority. 

However, today it is extremely unfashionable for people to remain faithful or submit to a person.

People like to be uncommitted often leading to sinful behaviour. 

A marriage relationship should be a place of patience, humility, joy, truth, peace, and hope.

Within marriage fellowship is expressed in acts of love. It is not a place for abuse. 

Jesus as the Bridegroom will provide for His followers, just as any bridegroom assumes responsibility for taking care of His wife and children. 

(2 Corinthians 11:2) What does it take for us to be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride? How faithful are we to Christ? To what degree do we partake with the adulterous and sinful generation that Jesus decried? What does the marriage relationship say about love, communication, and intimacy with Christ?        

To be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride, it takes us to dedicate our lives to the one and only true God. Our love should be for him only. For myself, I am constantly striving to be more faithful to Christ. The marriage relationship is one that is based on love, understanding, commitment, patience etc.  It portrays the wonderful ways we are loved, pursued, protected, and cherished by the One who seeks us to be His own. 

We need to live holy lives dedicated to only Him. Often we

go about pursuing the things if this world that become idols to us just as the world does.

The marriage relationship demonstrate how we are loved, catered for, protected and provided by the Lord.

This is the first time I have probably seriously thought through the implications of being the 'bride of Christ'. If I am honest, I fall far short. I am effected by the society in which I live. The church is effected and polluted by society in which it is situated. One great thing about being a believer is that we can start anew every day (Lamentations 3:2). The church is a work in progress (Philippians 1:6).

To be presented as Christ pure virgin bride our lives has to be totally like going for Christ and know one else. We put Christ first and ourselves last. When we don't put Christ first, then we are living worldly and committing sins. It talks about the wonderful ways we are loved, pursued, protected, and by Him.

As true believers in Him we are in the betrothal stage and waiting for Him to take us home to be with Him.  We are to be faithful always, live holy and pure lives, read His love letter to us (His Word), constant in prayer.  We are to be totally devoted to Him in every aspect of our lives.

We live in this world but do not partake of those things which would dishonor Him or take our eyes off Him.  He is our Lord and Savior and our first and only love.  He is God and He is holy.

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

To be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride takes complete faith, belief, trust and confidence in Jesus, that he will lead us in our walk with him and we obey his will.

We should be faithful to Christ, he is our focus and center of life. If we allow worldly things to creep into our lives then we are no longer following him. If we fall repentance and going forward is the only answer.

As a nation we have been silent of the worlds focus of the sinful ways. We Christians have become complaisant, we have been silent too long and maybe it is too late for revival. Jesus condemned the worlds sinful ways which were probably not that much different than today.

The marriage relationships tells us that we as believers are the Lords bride.The bride belongs to the bride groom. This portrays the wonderful ways we are loved, protected and cherished by the One Jesus, who seeks us to be his own.  

To be covered in Jesus' righteousness.

I want to be more faithful...

In very small ways--They need to be ferreted out and dealt with--repentance.

All have to be a priority!!

Q4. (2 Corinthians 11:2) What does it take for us to be

presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride? How faithful are

we to Christ? To what degree do we partake with the adulterous

and sinful generation that Jesus decried? What does the marriage 

relationship say about love, communication, and intimacy with Christ?

1. Rejoice and be glad and give Jesus the glory.We should be 

obedient and flow Jesus with love, faith, and trust him.

1. We should be faithful,rejoice,be glad, and give him glory always.

We should be a bride that belongs only to Jesus,the bridegroom.

1. Presenting our bodies as a holy bride and a witness for Jesus. We 

should not be a partaker of sins of the world.

1. "Husbands, should love their wives, just as Christ loved the church

and gave himself up for her." (Ephesians 5:25)

We are to remain loyal and obedient to the Word of Christ. Similar to an engaged bride to be married, there is the responsibility of the bride to remain pure to her pledged husband.

In the same way that wives are commanded to submit to their own husbands, are we to submit to Christ’s authority. 

However, today it is extremely unfashionable for people to remain faithful or submit to a person.

People like to be uncommitted often leading to sinful behaviour. 

A marriage relationship should be a place of patience, humility, joy, truth, peace, and hope.

Within marriage fellowship is expressed in acts of love. It is not a place for abuse. 

Jesus as the Bridegroom will provide for His followers, just as any bridegroom assumes responsibility for taking care of His wife and children.

Paul was anxious that the church’s love should be for Christ alone, just as a pure bride saves her love for one man only. By “pure bride” he meant one who was unaffected by false doctrine. The time will come when unfaithfulness will be impossible. God will bind us to himself in his perfect righteousness, justice, love, compassion, and faithfulness. God has promised us a fresh new beginning, not just a temporary rewriting of a tired old agreement

Paul says both husbands and wives should submit to each other, just as both should love each other.

Q4. (2 Corinthians 11:2) What does it take for us to be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride?

It takes for us to totally submit our lives and will over to Jesus. The only way we can ever be pure is through the blood of Jesus.

How faithful are we to Christ? To what degree do we partake with the adulterous and sinful generation that Jesus decried?

I think this is an individual question and a general answer will be incorrect. We are each different in our personalities and our walk with God and we all sin in one way or another. And lets face it, we are sinners and will not be perfect this side of heaven.

You are supposed to be your mates best friend and companion. Jesus wants to be your companion, your sole mate.

A certain amount of faithfulness can be found in most everyone, both Christian and not. But the kind of faithfulness that is pleasing to GOD comes only from His Holy Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23)

And it is by His Spirit that any Christian remains faithful, for as it says in 1 Peter 1:3-5, it is according to His ABUNDANT mercy that He has "begotten us again" (we are born-again) and we are "kept by the power of GOD through faith."

In 2 Corinthians 11, the Apostle Paul is confronted with possibility that the believers in Corinth could be corrupted from their faith in Christ by some who are preaching "another Jesus", a "different gospel."

As it was through Paul's ministry to the Corinthians they became Christians, he tells them that he is jealous for them, not carnal jealousy but with godly jealously; zeal perhaps, even to be anxious for their safety. He wanted, more than anything to present them to Christ, faithful and without spot. But he knew there was deception in their midst.

Throughout the ages, the same threat has been against those who believe in Christ Jesus. But as we walk with Him, remembering His faithfulness toward us. That He forgives us, 1 John 1:9; He protects us, 1 Corinthians 10:13; 2 Thessalonians 3:3;  calls us to fellowship with Him, 1 Corinthians 1:9, and as He is "the same yesterday, today and forever", we are not to "be carried about with various and strange doctrines" for our hearts have been "established by grace", Hebrews 13:8-9.

In Deuteronomy 4, we can read: "Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. And teach them to your children and your grandchildren"

For there to be a bride that is pure, chaste and undefiled, the believers in Christ who will be that Bride, must keep their eyes on their Redeemer. (Galatians 3:12-14; 1 Peter 1:17-19; Revelation 5:8-10)

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of GOD, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of GOD; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints" and as the Apostle Paul prayed for himself, we should pray for ourselves, "that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel"  Ephesians 6:12-20

In John 17, Jesus prays for those who had been given to Him by GOD the Father. "And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them." (vs 10)
And in vs 14-16, Jesus continues: "I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world."

Then He said two things that are of vital importance to every Christian, He said, "Sanctify them by Your Truth " (which is Christ Jesus). And then He said, "Your Word in Truth." (John 1:1-5 & John 14:6)

"Sanctify: to purify internally by the reformation of the soul. Separated and consecrated to GOD for His purpose and His pleasure. Cleansed of guilt and made new."

Romans 8 tells us that it is His plan to conform us to the image of His Son and in Romans 12  we are encouraged by these words: "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of GOD."

To not be conformed does require effort on our part. The world and all of it's enticements are like the mythological sirens that were said to call sailing ships to their doom, the world has a very sweet voice, a sound that can penetrate into the most devoted Christian.
And truthfully, as it says in Matthew 26:33 when Peter said, "I will never be made to stumble" yet the LORD had said, "All of you will be made to stumble because of Me" (vs 31)

The word "stumble" (offended - KJV) comes from the Greek 'skandalizo' - sound familiar?
It is the root from which the modern word "scandalize" comes, which means to "shock or offend by doing something immoral or illegal."
Biblically, it meant to "entice to sin" or "to cause to fall away" even to "cause a person to begin to distrust and desert the one whom he ought to trust and obey."

And in the context of both Matthew 26:31 & 33, I would say that is precisely what both Jesus and Peter meant.
Jesus warned that all of His disciples would be enticed to fall away in distrust of Him, and Peter, who said LORD, "I will never be made to stumble" - 'I will never be enticed away from trusting in You' (paraphrase mine) would soon learn how easy it is for the enemy to entice even the most devoted away from the truth.

Even as the world is always in the enemies hands, the weapon of choice used against Christians since Jesus Christ walked in Galilee, we are still called to be "separate" (to set apart for a purpose) as the Apostle Paul said of himself that he was "separated to the gospel of GOD" (Romans 1:1) and in 2 Corinthians 6:17 he told the believers in Corinth to "come out from among them and be separate, says the LORD"

But being separate doesn't mean that we turn our backs on those who are lost. The commission given to all who follow Christ Jesus (Matthew 28:18-20) is "make disciples of all the nations"
In our daily lives, wherever life leads us, we are to separate ourselves from the world while at the same time, sharing the truth of His gospel with all who will listen.
As He is in us and with us by His Spirit, He empowers us to do this.

GOD said (Genesis 2:24) that when a man and a woman are joined, they "shall become one flesh" and if there is any doubt as to what GOD meant, that truth is repeated in the NT (Matthew 19:5 & 6; Mark 10:8; 1 Corinthians 6:16; Ephesians 5:31)

When a man and a woman first meet they may know very little about each other. But as their relationship grows, an intimacy develops between them.
Modern languages seem to give the word "intimate" a sexual connotation, yet in truth, it only suggests a deep understanding and knowledge of another's heart and mind.

We are to have the "mind of Christ" (1 Corinthians 2:16) which means our relationship with Him should be the most intimate of any of our relationships.
We may have experienced a deep and abiding love in marriage, but it pales in comparison to the relationship we should have with Him.

And just as an intimate relationship between husbands and wives requires effort and submission of each to the other, our intimacy with our LORD Jesus requires our effort, not to gain the right to have that relationship as that is justification gained by faith alone in Christ alone, but as Paul said, "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12)
What the apostle meant was not that we had to work for or work to keep our salvation, but that we must pursue our own obedience just as Paul speaks of himself in Philippians 3:13-14 as "forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead" as he pressed "toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of GOD to Christ Jesus."
We are to live each day totally devoted to following Him, being obedient to His Word, reverencing Him as He moves us into maturity and sanctification.

To be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride we must daily live in total obedience to His word.  We are only as faithful as we live in His will.  When we are outside the will of God we partake in the sinful acts of the world.

The analogy of the marriage relationship shows us that love, communication, and intimacy with Christ keeps the relationship intact just as they do to keep a marriage intact.  When one is lacking in a marriage there will be faults to find and if it persists there will be a breakdown in the relationship that could be catastrophic.

For us to be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride we must be completely belonging to Him, careful that we are not stained with sin.  “He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.”  (Psalm 24:4)  We are faithful to Christ when we are obedient to His commandments and live a righteous and holy life.  We veer away from the path that God has for us, living as He desires for us; then we partake with the adulterous and sinful generation that Jesus decried.  The marriage relationship say that love, communication, and intimacy with Christ is unbroken if we are to reign with Him for eternity.

The things that it takes to be presented to Christ as a pure virgin bride is to confess our sins to Him, continue learning about Him, and to know that He died on the cross for us and that He was resurrected. I try to be a faithful to Jesus as I can. But some of my problems is I do partake in this adulterous and sinful generation that Jesus decried and I confess my sins to Him. The marriage relationship says that we do love, communicate, and are intimate with Christ.

• 2 years later...

It takes us staying away from sin and learning not to be tempted by it either. I believe we aren’t as faithful as we could be. We only are as faithful as the trials we go through. Whenever a trial we go running to Christ and then when things are running smoothly we forget all about Him just like Israel. I would say it depends on what sins we partake of. Some people partake more than others do. It speaks of how much the Lord loves us, pursues us cares for us and will be jealous for us. The intimacy of Christ is that of a husband. 

I believe that we must be pure and without sin as He is. He must be number one in our lives. We must love Him as much as He loves us, and we must be honest with ourselves and others about our faults and sins. We must be willing to be living sacrifices for Him and not let false teachers lure us away or other idols, gods, objects.  We must show love to others and reach out to the least as He did.

I believe that we as a body are not as a faithful as we should be. We have let other things take over; like money; jobs or careers, possessions, and pastimes get in the way. We have put Him on the back burner as we follow other pursuits and failed to love Him first, then others and failed to be lights and life givers as He is.

I think we are a lot like them since we seem to have lost our first love. Some of us are cold and others are lukewarm.

It says that we are to love Him unconditionally and fully. We are to give ourselves completely to Him to know Him as He knows us and to tell Him everything.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:40 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  I believe it takes getting to really know Him, as it takes  someone who is dating, learning of him and falling more and more in love with him each day.  He is teaching us through a daily walk with Him, trial and error, learning and confessing and bringing our sins to the cross where he already paid for them.  We are getting to depend on him more and more and letting go of the world and its allures  as He is bringing truth to us and we are no more believing the lies of the enemy, and the lies the world gives to us.  We are now saying what God says about us.   Where we once treasured certain things, He now is our treasure!  He is preparing us to be His Bride, holy and without blemish  as in the New Covenant we have received of His Spirit which changes us from glory to glory.  Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into His image with intensifying glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.  (2 Cor. 3:17-18)

b.  We are to be faithful in fellowship with Him, sharing our life. being able to come to Him with things we are going through as we would share with a very best friend.  Only sharing with the Lord our deepest secrets, thoughts, sins and desires.  Not being afraid to tell Him anything, because He longs for fellowship with us and is the only one who can really help us with life.  A friend could listen and have compassion but only God has the answers.  

c.  We don't partake of the World's sin, we give them the answer, which is Jesus.

d.  In Love -Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, (Ephesians 5:25)  Giving yourself to Him in total commitment.  Communication is sharing your deepest thoughts and desires, Intimacy is being one with Him, one mind, one accord, His Spirit living inside of you. When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. (John 14:20)

• 2 years later...

I find it difficult to think in terms of "we" and "us" when it comes to sin and faithfulness to Him. Obviously some of us are struggling our way through sanctification while others take the Christian life more lightly or easily. So, can "we" be presented to Christ?

No.

The church is the agglomeration of individuals each of whom have their own relationship to Christ. We are presented individually, not corporately. I am solely responsible for my own thoughts and behaviours and answer to them before Him ... thankfully, His blood covers my sins.

Marriage, too, is one-on-one. I am married to Christ, in an abstract sense. As are you. 

The intellectual tension between the individual and corporate is real. Though we are a body and function together as a body we don't know our function ... we can't see the bigger picture. We are only called to do our part as individuals trusting that God weaves it together into a larger pattern to which we will never have access or understanding. My response is to quietly submit to this unknown. I must make certain that I'm on His path, doing my role, but no more. I don't have to deal with how my role fits into the body, who is in the body or any other corporate ideals/ideas.