JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Glory

• 3 months later...

Q1. (Hebrews 1:3; Matthew 17:1-2) In what ways did Jesus show the Father's glory in his ministry? Why do you think Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see his Transfiguration? How do you think Jesus will appear in heaven?

JESUS SHOWED THE FATHER'S GLORY IN EVERYTHING he did, the healing, the teaching, the mysterious appearance and disappearance.  He was and is the essence of the Father made visible to man.  I believe he allowed Peter James and John to see his Transfiguration to give them greater courage to share what was to come next.  Based on Scripture, He will appear along with the Father.  It is then, we will understand the statement, the Father and I are one.

By all the miracles He did and the wisdom of God's Word.

They were the disciples closest to Him, who Jesus knew would strengthened by seeing it.

In God's glory--brightness-light, power!

(Hebrews 1:3; Matthew 17:1-2) In what ways did Jesus show the Father’s glory in his ministry? Why do you think Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see his Transfiguration? How do you think Jesus will appear in heaven?   

Jesus showed the Father's glory in his ministry thru the miracles that he performed and died for our sins.  He allowed Peter, James and John to see his Transfiguration so that they would believe.  Jesus will appear in heaven with radiance, like flashing light, shining with God's glory. 

Q1. (Hebrews 1:3; Matthew 17:1-2) In what ways did Jesus show the Father's glory in his ministry? Why do you think Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see his Transfiguration? How do you think Jesus will appear in heaven?

Through His miracles and works, to the three disciples at mountain - the transfiguration, His resurrection and assension.

He allowed Peter, James and John to see His transfiguration so that their faith in Him will increase.

Glorious

Q1 (Hebrews 1:3, Matthew 17:1,2) In what ways did Jesus show the Father's glory in his ministry?

​As "the perfect imprint and very image of God's nature" Jesus revealed the Father's glory in His words, His wisdom, His miracles, delivering those in bondage from demonic possession, walking on Water, by doing and saying only what He saw and heard His Father doing and saying, His very life lived in faith with no personal belongings but his seamless tunic, and ultimately laying down His life and offering Himself as the sacrifice to accomplish cleansing from sin, guilt and shame for all who believe.. The Resurrection  was more revelation of the Father's glory and the promise of the glory to be seen and experienced for believers when we get to Heaven.

Why do you think Jesus allowed Peter, James and John to see his Transfiguration?

​Peter, James and John were His closest friends and disciples, and would be instrumental in birthing and nurturing the infant church after He was gone. It would comfort them during and after the shock of His death, which they were not prepared to believe, even though He told them beforehand. They were going to need supernatural strength and courage to face the opposition from the religious leaders and from Satan himself, as well as reassurance of His Deity when they faced their own torturous deaths and those of their loved ones who would be martyred.

How do you think Jesus will appear in Heaven?

​Revelation describes how He appeared to John, as blinding light, hair as white as wool, eyes of fire..... Years ago in uttermost despair and terror, I was kneeling by my bed, head down in my hands on a bright sunny day, and I was suddenly aware of a brilliant Light in the room  even though my eyes were closed. I opened them and turned toward the light, which was also warmth, like warm oil or honey both around me and filling me. Jesus was standing there and said "Be still and know that I Am God."  then He was gone. I couldn't see His face....just a brilliant figure of Light!

​But the essence of His presence has never left me.

I don't know what He'll look like in Heaven, but I'm certain His presence will be like that....so much love pouring from Him that I didn't want to ever be anywhere else but with Him. It came from Him and invaded every part of me.

​ I've read that the only scars in Heaven will be those in His hands and feet.

Q1. (Hebrews 1:3; Matthew 17:1-2) In what ways did Jesus show 

the Father's glory in his ministry? Why do you think Jesus allowed

Peter, James, and John to see his Transfiguration? How do you 

think Jesus will appear in heaven?

1.  The glory appeared as both a cloud and fire: For six days the 

cloud covered the mountain... To the Israelites the glory of the LORD

looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain." (Exodus 24:16-17) 

"'Now show me your glory.'
Then the LORD said, 'There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock.

When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you 

with my hand until I have passed by. 

Moses himself was changed by communing with God. "When Moses came down from

Mount Sinai ... he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken 

with the LORD. At Cana, where Jesus changed the water into wine, John says,

"He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him" (John 2:11).

2. Jesus' glory is intended to spill out and be revealed by means of the miraculous 

signs that he performs.At Cana, where Jesus changed the water into wine, John says,

"He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him" (John 2:11).

3. John's Gospel speaks of Jesus as Light, evoking the Shekinah glory of God who 

"dwells in unapproachable light" (1 Timothy 6:16)He perhaps will come as a bright

or shining, brightness, splendor, radiance" and the idea, "honor as enhancement or 

recognition of status or performance, fame, recognition, renown, honor, prestige."

​In His miracles, healings, tenderness, love, his wisdom in His answers and dealings with different people.

Those who are closest to Jesus, seek Him and spend more time with Him are those He reveals more to.  I never thought about this before however I have never been surprised about it.  I am sure that it increased their faith and strength for the days to come.  As to if that is the reason why I don't know however I love reading about it.  It seems to strengthen my faith and I find comfort in it.  

In heaven I believe we will see Jesus in glory and splendor and walking among us as the King who loves His people, will be worshipped by them and fellowships with them.  He is God of all glory, grace and  love.

God bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1. (Hebrews 1:3; Matthew 17:1-2) In what ways did Jesus show the Father's glory in his ministry?

My Answer: The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

Why do you think Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see his Transfiguration?

My Answer: After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light.

I think Jesus allowed them to see His transfiguration to strengthen their faith in Him, knowing the hardships they had ahead of them when He was crucified.

How do you think Jesus will appear in heaven?

My Answer: I think Jesus will appear in heaven as He does now on earth. He is always present and never leaves us. The difference may be that I will see Him with my eyes but our closeness will be the same as now.

God who spoke in Old Testament times. Not only is Jesus the exact representation of God, but he is God himself.  He is eternal; he worked with the Father in creating the world (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16). He is the full revelation of God. We can have no clearer view of God than by looking at Christ. Jesus Christ is the complete expression of God in a human body.

The book of Hebrews links God’s saving power with his creative power. In other words, the power that brought the universe into being and that keeps it operating is the very power that cleanses our sins. How mistaken we would be to ever think that God couldn’t forgive us. No sin is too big for the Ruler of the universe to handle. He can and will forgive us when we come to him through his Son. That Jesus sat down means that the work was complete. Christ’s sacrifice was final.

The Transfiguration was a vision, a brief glimpse of the true glory of the King (16:27-28). This was a special revelation of Jesus’ divinity to three of the disciples, and it was God’s divine affirmation of everything Jesus had done and was about to do.
We will see his glory the majesty. The Second Coming is the event when Jesus Christ returns to the earth to defeat evil and establish His reign of justice and peace.

Q1. (Hebrews 1:3; Matthew 17:1-2) 

In what ways did Jesus show the Father's glory in His ministry? 

Why do you think Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see His Transfiguration? 

Our Lord Jesus is the exact image of God’s essential being. 

All the perfections that are found in God the Father are also found in Him. 

On earth, all the moral and spiritual glories of God are seen in Him.

Peter, James, and John were privileged to see our Saviour transfigured.

Prior to this they only saw His glory veiled in a body of flesh, but now they were given the opportunity of seeing His face and clothes becoming radiant and bright like the sun.

This was a visible manifestation of His deity - very similar to the glory cloud of the OT which symbolised the presence of God.

Now, they could recognise Him as God the Son, the King of kings and Lord of lords.

I think that our Lord Jesus will have His own definite appearance, and will bear the scars of Calvary throughout eternity. 

Just like us, as believers, we will have our own distinct features, but we will all be morally like the Lord Jesus Christ. 

Jesus is the radiance of God glory. His appearance was transformed so that His family was shinning like the sun and His clothes became white as light. Jesus' glory is intended to be revealed by means of the miraculous signs that He performs. Jesus will appear in heaven transformed.

Q1. (Hebrews 1:3; Matthew 17:1-2) In what ways did Jesus show the Father’s glory in his ministry? Why do you think Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see his Transfiguration? How do you think Jesus will appear in heaven?

Jesus showed the Fathers glory in his ministry by the fact that he stated Jn: 5:19, that he nothing by himself, only what he sees the father doing; 14:9-11, the words he said where from the Father and the Father was living in him and he in the Father; Matt. 17:1-2, in Jesus transfiguration on the mountain, God the Father  spoke from a cloud saying, "this is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him"' Some of the above was paraphrased for convenience of entering answer.

Peter, James and John were the only apostles to see Jesus transfiguration, because these were the ones that were closest to the Lord. He commanded them to tell no one until he had been raised from the dead, Matt. 17:9.

I believe Jesus will appear in heaven with his hair white as snow, his eyes like a flame of fire and his feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, his voice like the sound of rushing waters. Rev. 1:14-16.   

GOD's glory was so overwhelming (Exodus 24:17) that when Moses asked to see it, (Exodus 33:18-23) he was told, "no man shall see Me and live"

Notice what GOD said?
When asked by Moses to see His glory, GOD said, "no man shall see Me and live" .....so in essence it seems to me that GOD and His glory are the same.
GOD can't be separated from His glory!

GOD's glory was once manifest in the pillar of fire and the cloud as the children of Israel escaped the Egyptians. Exodus 13:21-22
But when Jesus Christ came, GOD's glory had a new resting place, "For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily" (Colossians 2:9)
That means this Man, as He is described in Isaiah 53:2, with no particular "comely" (pleasurable or attractive) appearance, without any beauty that would cause those who met Him to want to know Him, holds all of GOD's glory on earth, the receptacle, the "Temple" of GOD's Presence, His Majesty, in an earthen vessel, the Son of GOD, the Son of Man.

As the One in Whom was manifest GOD's glory (John 1:14 & 2:11) on earth, Jesus did as He as the Father commanded. (John 12:49-50)
He said in John 14:31, "But that the world may know that I love the Father, and as the Father gave Me commandment, so I do."

While it is true that our LORD was often moved by "compassion" to heal those who were suffering, were weary and hungry, even those who were "ignorant and going astray", Matthew 14:14; Matthew 15:32; Hebrews 5:2 His miracles were also to cause many to believe in Who He was and in GOD Who had sent Him. (John 5:24; John 10:38; John 14:10)

GOD's glory was also manifest visibly on Jesus as He prayed on a high mountain a short time before He would tell them how He was about to be betrayed into "the hands of men, and they will kill Him and the third day He will be raised up." Matthew 17:22-23

There on the mountain, Christ was Transfigured. And the minds of Peter, James and John were filled with the memory of that day.
In John 1:14, he would later write: "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."

James said of Christ Jesus that He was "the LORD of glory" and Peter said, "For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our LORD Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. For He received from GOD the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain."

That those three men witnessed such a magnificent display of GOD's glory was for them an eternal blessing which would be shared with the other disciples and as the event was recorded in the gospels, we have it as one of the proofs that Jesus Christ was Who He said He was!

While the New Age teachings suggest that it is a good thing to visualize Jesus, I believe it to be an occult practice and very dangerous!

In my childhood I was given a small framed "picture" of some artist's rendering of what Jesus looked like. It was a common image and can still be found today.

But it was not Him, nor do I believe that it looked like Him! It took me many years to get that false image out of my thoughts and mind.
I prefer to believe what the Apostle John wrote of what he himself was shown in heaven.
In Revelation 1:10-19, he wrote: "I was in the Spirit on the LORD's Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, saying, "I Am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last," and, "what you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia: to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, To Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."
"Then I turned to see the voice that spoke to me. And having turned I saw seven golden lamp-stands, and in the midst of the seven lamp-stands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters; He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword (Hebrews 4:12), and His countenance was like the sun shining in it's strength. And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, "Do not be afraid; I Am the First and the Last. I Am He Who lives, and was dead, and Behold! I Am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death. Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this."

In those verses is the only picture of Christ Jesus that I want to think about. I look to day when I can fall at His feet in worship of the One Who gave His life for me.

Our Lord Jesus is the exact image of God’s essential being. 

All the perfections that are found in God the Father are also found in Him. 

On earth, all the moral and spiritual glories of God are seen in Him.

Peter, James, and John were privileged to see our Saviour transfigured.

Prior to this they only saw His glory veiled in a body of flesh, but now they were given the opportunity of seeing His face and clothes becoming radiant and bright like the sun.

This was a visible manifestation of His deity - very similar to the glory cloud of the OT which symbolised the presence of God.

Now, they could recognise Him as God the Son, the King of kings and Lord of lords.

I think that our Lord Jesus will have His own definite appearance, and will bear the scars of Calvary throughout eternity. 

Just like us, as believers, we will have our own distinct features, but we will all be morally like the Lord Jesus Christ.

(Hebrews 1:3; Matthew 17:1-2) In what ways did Jesus show the Father’s glory in his ministry? Why do you think Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see his Transfiguration? How do you think Jesus will appear in heaven?

Jesus showed the Father's glory in everything He did. His life is a testamony to the Father's glory. It had to be them, to fulfill the purpose and great plan for humanity.

I have never thought of what would Jesus look like in heaven?

Q1. (Hebrews 1:3; Matthew 17:1-2) In what ways did Jesus show the Father’s glory in his ministry? Why do you think Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see his Transfiguration? How do you think Jesus will appear in heaven?

Jesus show the Father’s glory in his ministry by doing the things that His Father sent Him to do.  "For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me." (John 6:38).  Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see his Transfiguration becaus He wanted them to be witnessed to His Sovereignty.   Jesus will appear in heaven in a manner that will be like none other. Jesus' appearance will draw all eyes to Him; He will come in his Father's glory with his angels.

The way that Jesus showed the Father’s glory in his ministry was by healing the sick, casting out demons and teaching others the same. I think that Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see his Transfiguration was to have them believe that He was the one that they should be following. God came down and told them that Jesus is the one to follow. I sure that Jesus will appear as the bright morning star.

• 2 years later...

Jesus showed the Father’s glory when He turned water into wine at Cana and when he healed people and cast out demons. When he died on the cross and was raised again and before this when He was transfigured before the disciples.

Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see His transfiguration because He wanted witnesses to testify of it to others. So, He chose the ones who were closest to Him and who had witnessed His miracles. He wanted them to tell the other followers and the world about Him. He knew He could trust them to get the word out and be faithful unlike the others who had turned away at His hard sayings.

I believe that Jesus will appear in heaven as he did on the Mount of Transfiguration. He will be brighter than the sun and his clothes will be as white as snow. There we will be able to see Him in His full glory when we are changed and like Him.

Matthew Henry Commentary 1706 from Bible Study Tools

He showed the Father’s glory by raising people from the dead, giving sight to the blind, causing the lame to walk again, healing the sick, healing the lepers, and exorcising the demon possessed people. Calming the wind and waves. To show them who He really was and let them know He was the Messiah who would eventually die for their sins. I will believe He will appear like John states in the book of Revelation.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  Jesus showed the Father's glory in his ministry by doing signs, wonders, and miracles - healing the sick, raising the dead, as He did and said only what He saw the Father doing and always giving glory to the Father who did the work.

b.  They became eyewitnesses of His Majesty.  When at the Transfiguration he received from God the Father honor and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.  And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. (2 Peter 1:17-18)

c. He will come in His Father's glory with the angels and will be like the lightening coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory, as he is the radiance/brightness of God's glory.

• 2 years later...

Jesus is God though He hid His divinity, at times, as God did in his self-revelation to Moses. At other times, God openly reveals Himself ... in His glory. It's odd that Jesus didn't reveal God's glory ALL the time. He seemed to cover up aspects of His glory until the time was right to reveal Himself. His glory was a secret not an announcement.

I'm thinking of Jacob wrestling with the angel/God at Peniel. He said he called that place Penial because it was where he saw God "face to face, and yet (his) life was spared."

The three disciples He chose to see Him transfigured were those closest to Him. His reasons for choosing these men, and not others, are not known. Furthermore, the reasons why any disciple was permitted to see the transfiguration is unknown, though I may speculate that the three disciples, in particular, needed this information/vision/understanding in the future, perhaps to endure their own martyred deaths.

Jesus will be recognizable in heaven. The metaphor of sitting on a throne next to God means, to me, that somehow we'll know He's God in all His glory. He will be seen less as the Son of Man than God Himself -- his humanity which was temporary, will be consumed by His identity as God.

This is confusing.

• 7 months later...

Q1. (Hebrews 1:3; Matthew 17:1-2) In what ways did Jesus show the Father's glory in His ministry?

ANSWER: Jesus brought glory to His Father, His message was Jesus modeled glorifying God not only in His obedience to the commandments but also with the truth of His message. He invited others to enter the blessings of His Kingdom and taught the narrow way for all would-be disciples. His message proclaimed the grace and mercy of God while also boldly praising the righteous way of life and expressing displeasure toward what is evil.

We glorify God in imitation of Christ as ambassadors of His message by, first, proclaiming the truth of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus as Savior and Lord. We also speak up to honor what is righteous and good and to warn against what is false and evil, not in arrogant judgment, but in the hope that all people will find peace with God and reconciliation with others through obedience to the truth.

Why do you think Jesus allowed Peter, James, and John to see His Transfiguration?

ANSWER: The Holy Scripture of the New Testament states that only three disciples participated in the event of the Transfiguration. They were the most prominent figures and participants in the most important works of Jesus Christ: Peter, James, and John. Christ took only these disciples because they stood out among all the others: Peter because He loved Jesus, John because Jesus loved Him, and James because of the answer which He gave together with His brother: we are able to drink Your cup with You (Matthew 20:22).

Also, the three disciples were taken as witnesses according to Jewish tradition. Jesus could not take all the disciples because not everyone was worthy, and not everyone could accommodate the event and pass it on. Nevertheless, each of the apostles had certain qualities: Peter loved Christ and was firm in his confession, after which he was able to receive a confirmation from Christ himself that He was God; John was Jesus’s own beloved disciple; James was a zealous disciple, according to Jewish law, who preached Christ ardently with his life.

ANSWER: When Jesus returns, His appearance will not be as a human being who claims to be Christ or who seems to have special powers. Instead, Christ’s return will be so supernatural that there will be no doubt that it is He. Both returns of Christ will be so supernatural, there will be no question who the true Jesus is. We should not have a problem being misled by false Christs. We can be prepared for the returns by making certain that we belong to Jesus.