JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Jordan Stops Flowing

• 3 months later...

Joshua was the chosen messenger of God for leading the Israelites, he instructed the people as God has told him.  He was not a fortune teller nor did he predict the miracle that God would perform.  Joshua pleased God because he was abiding by God’s commandments and his laws.

It was God who exalted Joshua, not Joshua himself:

Jos 3:7  And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee.

Joshua’s faith was in his obedience, it was not because he believed and trust in God alone, but he strictly obeyed to God’s commandments and his laws.  Joshua knew that God does not tolerate the rebellious people.  But after all, Joshua was God’s chosen leader for the succession of Moses.

Num 27:

18  And the LORD said unto Moses, Take thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit, and lay thine hand upon him;

19  And set him before Eleazar the priest, and before all the congregation; and give him a charge in their sight.

20  And thou shalt put some of thine honour upon him, that all the congregation of the children of Israel may be obedient.

21  And he shall stand before Eleazar the priest, who shall ask counsel for him after the judgment of Urim before the LORD: at his word shall they go out, and at his word they shall come in, both he, and all the children of Israel with him, even all the congregation.

22  And Moses did as the LORD commanded him: and he took Joshua, and set him before Eleazar the priest, and before all the congregation:

23  And he laid his hands upon him, and gave him a charge, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses.

Joshua was God’s chosen precursor of Jesus Christ, in whom the Spirit of God resided. Joshua was faithful to God in every task that he was assigned to.  The first time we read of him is in Exodus 17:9-13, when Moses instructing him to lead Israel in their battle with the nation of Amalek. Joshua did this, and Israel got the victory. Apparently, God is pleased with the work of Joshua in this case. The LORD insists in Exodus 17:14 that Joshua be present to hear Moses rehearse the promise when the LORD declares that He will wipe the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven.

The main characteristics of God’s chosen leader are:

Obedient and humble:

Pro 16:5  Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

1Pe 5:5  Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

1Pe 5:6  Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

Have steadfast faith in God:

1Pe 5:7  Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

1Pe 5:9  Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

Seek God direction at all time:

Pro 16:1  The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.

Peace maker:

Pro 16:7  When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Fair and just:

Pro 16:8  Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues without right.

Honest and truthful:

Pro 16:13  Righteous lips are the delight of kings; and they love him that speaketh right.

Able to listen and learn from the wise:

Pro 15:22  Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.

Pro 16:16  How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!

Pro 16:21  The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.

Sensible, kind and gentil:

Pro 16:22  Understanding is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.

Pro 16:23  The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.

And the most important of all is always seeking to do God’s will:

Pro 16:3  Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

Edited by ducminh
Added the two last lines.

Q3. (Joshua 3:13-17) How was Joshua able to announce the miracle of Jordan stopping its flow ahead of the event? What kind of faith did it require to do so? What did this do for his credibility as a leader?

Just before crossing over into the Promised Land, Joshua gathered the people to hear the words of the Lord. Their excitement was high. No doubt they wanted to rush on, but Joshua made them stop and listen. We live in a fast-paced age where everyone rushes just to keep up. It is easy to get caught up in our tasks, becoming too busy for what God says is most important—listening to his words. Before making your schedule, take time to focus on what God wants from all your activities. Have faith in God and walk before Him. Knowing what God has said before you rush into your day may help you avoid foolish mistakes.

The Israelites were eager to enter the Promised Land, conquer nations, and live peacefully. But first they had to cross the flood-level waters of the Jordan River. God gave them specific instructions: In order to cross, the priests had to step into the water. What if these priests had been afraid to take that first step? Often God provides no solution to our problems until we trust him and move ahead with what we know we should do. What are the rivers, or obstacles, in your life? In obedience to God, take that first step into the water.

God had parted the waters of the Red Sea to let the people out of Egypt, and here he parted the Jordan River to let them enter Canaan. These miracles showed Israel that God keeps his promises. God’s presence among his people and his faithfulness to them made the entire journey from Egypt to the Promised Land possible. He was with them at the end of their wanderings just as he was with them in the beginning.

Just before crossing over into the Promised Land, Joshua gathered the people to hear the words of the Lord. Their excitement was high. No doubt they wanted to rush on, but Joshua made them stop and listen. We live in a fast-paced age where everyone rushes just to keep up. It is easy to get caught up in our tasks, becoming too busy for what God says is most important—listening to his words. Before making your schedule, take time to focus on what God wants from all your activities. Knowing what God has said before you rush into your day may help you avoid foolish mistakes.
Joshua 3:15-17

God was glorified, Joshua as a leader was exalted, Israel was encouraged, and the Canaanites were terrorized.

Q3. (Joshua 3:13-17) How was Joshua able to announce the miracle of Jordan stopping its flow ahead of the event? What kind of faith did it require to do so? What did this do for his credibility as a leader? 

God must have told Joshua. So it's like sometimes one knows what one is to do or to say, in a certain situation. So long as we are available to the Lord he will guide us. (Proverbe3:5,6 )

On 6/10/2016 at 3:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Joshua was able to announce the miracle of Jordan stopping its flow ahead of the event because he was communicating with God.  Because he had seen prior miracles that God had performed, his faith was steady and he did what God had asked him to do.  As he followed and obeyed God, the miracle that happened proved to the people that their leader was hearing from God even as Moses did. 

Joshua was able to announce the miracle of Jordan stopping its flow of water like a wall because he has followed Gods words and instructions on what should be done and how it should be done, he had complete faith on God, as God promised to him that He will magnify him as He has done to Moses, with this confidence in Gods promise he commanded the priests and the people of Israel to cross over the river Jordan.

It requires a great amount of faith in God to do such a miraculous event, in our lives also when we are in hurry to possess something which appears so close, but there will be hurdles like the troubled waters of Jordan which we should cross patiently with faith and prayers, then there will not be anything that we we fall short of receiving when we trust God and do according to his will and proceed.

God as He promised Joshua that he will magnify him as He magnified mosses, He did the same to Joshua by helping him perform similar miracle as crossing the red sea by mosses, and here crossing over  the river Jordan. Here the people who crossed the red sea that is their grandfathers and fathers  are not alive, so by repeating a similar miracle to the present generation God has shown His sovereign power and proved that what He promises He will definitely fulfill. As a leader God has elevated Joshua  all the days he lived as He has done with mosses in front of Israelites. 

Q3. (Joshua 3:13-17) How was Joshua able to announce the miracle of Jordan stopping its flow ahead of the event?
Joshua was a man "consecrated" to the LORD, he believed Yahweh would do wonders among them, that the LORD would magnify him in the sight of all Israel so they would know as the LORD was with Moses when the waters of the Red sea was divided that the LORD would also be with Joshua, Joshua’s faith in the LORD empowered him with strength and courage to speak forth and "prophesy" to the people the "wonders" the LORD was about to do.

Q. What kind of faith did it require to do so?
It required “ACTION" faith revealed in that of "OBEDIENCE"

Joshua was to announce it to the people just as God gave it to him. The kind of faith Joshua had to have was believing God will carry out what he promised. The people believed Joshua because of his faith in God carrying out His plan. The Israelites had to wonder if Joshua had lost his mind in thinking they could cross the Jordan. Joshua said, God will make a way. They saw that Joshua had strong faith in God that helped them to trust Joshua.

Q3. (Joshua 3:13-17) 
How was Joshua able to announce the miracle of Jordan stopping its flow ahead of the event? 
What kind of faith did it require to do so? 
What did this do for his credibility as a leader? 

God had told Joshua what was to happen, how they were to cross the Jordan, and now it was up to him to lead the people into that future.
Having been given specific instructions it was now up to Joshua and the Israelites to put their trust in Him. 
This reminds me of one of my favourite verses, Proverbs 3:5-6: “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”
The words of the hymn “Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah”, also come to mind:
When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Death of death, and hell's destruction,
Land me safe on Canaan's side;
Songs of praises, songs of praises
I will ever give to Thee,
I will ever give to Thee.
As to Joshua’s credibility as a leader, we read in 3:7 the Lord explaining that this miracle would exalt him as the leader of the people. 
This is exactly what happened. After the crossing the people did in fact revere Joshua, knowing that God was with him.
This is confirmed later in 4:14: “That day the LORD exalted Joshua in the sight of all Israel; and they revered him all the days of his life, just as they had revered Moses.” 

1. How was Joshua able to announce the miracle of Jordan stopping its flow ahead of the event?

Joshua knew God and His abilities. He knew God was extremely faithful and will always honour His words, therefore, on hearing from God Joshua on his part had to simply obey and do the announcement believing God for the rest. Joshua under Moses had seen similar events taking place and had not even the slightest doubts on God Almighty.

2. What kind of faith did it require to do so?. This kind of action required great faith but as said when you know and believe God, immediately you know that it is an instruction from the Father Himself, you have no other choice than to follow His instructions. God will never disappoint you because He is not a man who would change his mind. I was planning a trip to a city to meet a friend about a business I am trying to put up and God knew about my planned trip, so God gave me an instruction last week to pray for a friend and in this instruction He mentioned HIV, HIV, HIV. Knowing my God, I quickly got up prepared myself and when I was in my car, I rang this friend up telling him I have good news for him and I asked if he was staying home that day. He answered in the affirmative. I drove off, when I arrived that City, I went to meet the other guy for the business and then rang the other guy and requested his address so that I could type it in my GPS. So I drove to his home and met him a lone. I greeted and asked if I am allowed to come in. He said yes. When I was in the house, I announced to him that God sent me with a message to pray for him and since this friend never told me about his diagnosis of HIV, I told him that, in effect, it would be good to confess anything that I would say that he knows is right in order to shame the enemy. So I told him God told me to pray for him and mentioned HIV. This friend confirmed saying yes he had been diagnosed with HIV 10 years ago. I shouted Gloy to God. I prayed for him, decreed and declared him free in the name of Jesus Christ. I told him to give his life to Christ because Jesus Christ is turning his whole life now for the better. Wow!!! What a wonderful God we have as our Father. This situation makes me know and imagine the position Joshua had amongst the Isrealites, he knew God and heard from Him and trusted and believed Him with no doubts. And God will always honour his words for He remains the Almighty God (see Numbers 23:19).

3. What did this do for his credibility as a leader? 

I can say in the case of Joshua, this confirmation from God consolidated and increased his credibility amongst is brethren as the new leader after God's servant Moses.

(Joshua 3:13-17) How was Joshua able to announce the miracle of Jordan stopping its flow ahead of the event? What kind of faith did it require to do so? What did this do for his credibility as a leader? 

Joshua was able to make this announcement because of his faith.  He announced the crossing just as he had received it from God.  This was a type of walking out on God's word.  Joshua did what God told him to do no matter how foolish it might look to the people.  God came through for Joshua and the people saw that God was with him.

1. Joshua told his people to ‘Sanctify yourselves for the Lord will do wonders among you on the morrow’. Joshua 3:5.   I think that by saying these words, Joshua was preparing  them for some miracle the Lord would perform.

2. This required deep faith, trust in God.  Knowing without any doubt that God would be there finding a way for them, protecting them.

3. The people had faith in what Joshua said because he was the one chosen by God to lead them to the Promised Land.  Joshua was a man of God, he lived by God’s commandments.  The Israelites believed that whatever Joshua told them came from God and that God would keep them safe.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3 (Joshua 3:13-17) How was Joshua able to announce the miracle of Jordan stopping its flow ahead of the event? What kind of faith did it require to do so? What did this do to his credibility as a leader?

A. Joshua had a personal intimate relationship with the Lord....He accompanied Moses to the tent of meeting whenever he met with the Lord, and often stayed behind after Moses left the tent and went back to his duties. When it was time to cross the Jordan, the Lord spoke to Joshua and told him exactly what to say to the people about what He was going to do.

B. I'm trying to think... I've had that experience and it is so powerful that it is easy to just repeat what the Lord has spoken.(A gift of the Holy Spirit, called a word of knowledge or a word of wisdom) I imagine Joshua just repeated what the Lord said...he'd been with Moses in the tent of meeting for years and had heard Moses go out to the people and repeat what he'd been given to tell them. The Lord also affirmed Joshua's leadership beforehand by saying "This day I will begin to magnify you in the sight of all Israel, so they may know that as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. You shall command the priests who bear the ark of the convenant, "When you come to the brink of the waters of Jordan, you shall stand still in the Jordan. ....Then Joshua repeated the Lord's words to the people with the expectation that the Lord would do exactly what He had told Joshua, and as He'd seen the Lord do over and over again on the long journey to bring them to this point. I think Joshua was filled with excitement and expectation as he obeyed the Lord.

C. It made a smooth transition from Moses' leadership to Joshua's. There was no murmuring or complaining or rebellion....so they obviously felt comfortable that the Lord was leading them through Joshua now and they obeyed and followed directions or commands.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Joshua was able to announce the miracle of the Jordan stopping because the Lord had told him what he was going to do when the priest feet touched the water. Joshua had delivered to the people the revelation of the miracle to the people just as he had received it from the Lord.

This required great faith on Joshua's part, he had to believe God's word of what he was going to do before Joshua could see it happen himself.

This miracle was a great test of Joshua's leadership. He had to have faith in God and the people had to have faith in Joshua as their leader.     

Q

Q3. (Joshua 3:13-17) How was Joshua able to announce the

miracle of Jordan stopping its flow ahead of the event? What

kind of faith did it require to do so? What did this do for his

credibility as a leader?  

1. This was a crucial test of Joshua's leadership. He told the people, "As soon

as the priests who carry the ark of the LORD -- the Lord of all the earth --

set foot in the Jordan, its waters flowing downstream will be cut off and

stand up in a heap." (3:13) he announced the crossing, based on God's word

that he would perform a miracle.

2. It was a faith statement for Joshua, and he delivered it to the people as he

had received it from God.

3. They celebrated the awesome power of their God. 

Joshua announced so they would know that the Lord was with them, choose 12 men to carry the ark and step into the Jordan River and God would provide a way across.  It took great faith for Joshua told the men carrying the ark that the water wouldn't stop until they stepped foot into the water.  The river was at flood stage.  When the water stopped, the people would have been reminded how God was wth Moses when the Red Sea was parted.  Now God was with Joshua as the water of the Jordan parted and the people walked through on dry ground.  

Joahua was able to announce what God had told him.  It took a lot of faith and obedience to tell the people the flooded Jordan was just going dry up so they could walk across, especially in flood stage.

The fact that Joshua had faith led his people to have faith.  This confirmed Joshua was in God's will and they were following His plan.  Joshua was in sync with God's plan and led God's people, this miracle being fulfilled only strengthened the people's faith in God's plan and that included Joshua as their God appointed leader.

God told him what would happen and he also told the people what to do.

A solid trust in God and His ability to cause what He says to come to pass

His faith and the resultant miracle caused the Israelites had faith in him too

• 3 weeks later...

Joshua announced just as God announced it to him without adding or taking away anything; it is as I said previously, this is what God meant to be courageous, do as I say whether you understand it or not. No doubt Joshua did it just as Moses had in the past with a confidence that whatever he said and through his faith in God would come to pass.

Just as it was explained it came to pass, thus, the people would have no doubts about Joshua and his abiality to lead them to the land of milk and honey.

• 3 weeks later...

God had told him to tell the priests to go stand in the river, so he made the assumption that at that point the river would become cross-able.   He knew God would make a way.  He knew that without a doubt.   He predicted, it happened and his credibility was strengthened.

• 2 years later...

Joshua was able to announce the miracle of the Jordan because it was told to him by God. God told Joshua he would do this to make the people believe that he was with Joshua as he had been with Moses. Joshua's faith and obedience to God is what makes him a great leader.  There was no prediction of events to happen.  It was the direct foretelling of what God was going to do, told to Joshua by God . 

• 3 years later...

How was Joshua able to announce the miracle of Jordan stopping its flow ahead of the event?

What kind of faith did it require to do so?

What did this do for his credibility as a leader?

It was a faith statement for Joshua, and he delivered it to the people as he had received it from God. Then he announced the crossing, based on God's word that he would perform a miracle. And God did, just as he had for Moses at the Red Sea, a generation before.

Faith in the LIVING GOD.   A genuine faith that believes before it sees.

This proved to the people that just like Moses before him, Joshua too trusted and believed God. He followed His leading and did not just suck a command out of his thumb. So his leadership was trusted.