JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

Q5. (Joshua 5:12) Why did the manna cease at this time? In our lives, why does God let us experience times of manna? Why does he sometimes let the manna cease? In your own life, are you in a stage of receiving manna or planting seeds for a future crop?

God had miraculously supplied manna to the hungry Israelites during their 40 years in the wilderness. In the bountiful Promised Land they no longer needed this daily food supply because the land was ready for planting and harvesting. God had miraculously provided food for the Israelites while they were in the wilderness; here he provided food from the land itself.

Prayer is not an alternative to preparation, and faith is not a substitute for hard work. God can and does provide miraculously for his people as needed, but he also expects us to use our God-given talents and resources to provide for ourselves. If our prayers have gone unanswered, perhaps what we need is within your reach. We need to pray instead for the wisdom to see it and the energy and motivation to do it.e

There is time IO need manner from God and there is time I need to continue planting the seed and let others see light.

Like a man who used to walk with the help of crutches, if now he can walk without them, how much joy will he has in his heart?

The Israelites had been leaving with mana for all of the years travelling in the wilderness, now upon their arrival into the Promised Land, shouldn’t they rejoice the produce of the land?  The mana had ceased after their first celebration of the first Passover in the Promised Land, this is a milestone in the history of Israel.  A new page was opened as per God’s plan; from that time on the children of Israel were able to build their nation and lived with the true fruits of the land and of their hard labour; that was a great event for them.

The Spirit of God always guides anyone who truly worships Him in his heart and endeavour to do His will.  I do not assimilate the mana with the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Bible is a book of history of the children of Israel and the works of the Almighty God for his chosen people.  The Christian churches have twisted the Word of God and invented too many spiritual arguments to exalt themselves and make them holy, while they have broken God’s commandments and his laws entirely.  I cannot see anywhere in the Bible that God will not judge the Christian churches and the nations of the earth for their idolatry and spiritual fornication.

Rev 17:1  And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

Rev 17:2  With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

Rev 19:2  For true and righteous are his judgments: for he hath judged the great whore, which did corrupt the earth with her fornication, and hath avenged the blood of his servants at her hand.

Rev 19:20  And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Isaiah 66:

15  For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.

16  For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.

17  They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

18  For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory

On 6/10/2016 at 3:49 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Joshua 5:12) Why did the manna cease at this time? In our lives, why does God let us experience times of manna? Why does he sometimes let the manna cease? In your own life, are you in a stage of receiving manna or planting seeds for a future crop?

The manna cease at this time it did because the people needed to begin to plant, raise cattle and provide for their families.   In our lives, God allow us to experience times of manna to bring us into dependency upon Him and to experience His power to supply our needs.  In my own life I am in times of manna and of planting seeds for a future crop.

The manna ceased because Passover was over and they can eat from the fields that they work. Plus, they also took God for granted as though it's natural to be given food without doing anything for it. The manna ceased to draw them closer to God and depend on Him to always provide. They had to learn to work for their food. I was in a circumstance five years that taught me to rely on God and have faith no matter what position I was in at the time. God provided for me and still is providing for me in many areas of my life. I thank God that He is in my life because I don't know what I would have done without Him. Now I am thankful for little things and don't worry about big things in life.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:49 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

A). Manna was a special provision for the Israelites as they traveled and wandered in the wilderness, unable to grow or produce food on their own. It was a provision to train them in dependence upon God, so that when they "lived in houses they did not build, furnished with things they didn't buy, and eat of the crops already planted for them" that they would not  forget Who their provider is in every area of their lives. 

B). There seems to be an ebb and flow of "manna" ....sometimes plenty and sometimes just barely enough. I think the lesson for us is the same as it was for them. Am I grateful for the provision of plenty which comes with ease or do I take it for granted and  think I accomplished it on my own? In times of just barely enough and none to spare, am I grateful for every morsel or do I complain that life is hard and feel victimized by the scarcity? God promises to meet all of our needs, but not all of our wants. These have been faith lessons for me, to train me in recognizing that "God is the blessed controller of all things." Jesus said we are to ask for our "daily bread". I think He just wants to hear from His children acknowledging our need for Him, and that we are not independent of His loving care. (like 2 year olds we may say "I want to do it myself".)

C) When I was a new believer and had been showered with plenty, one day in a local panic, our stores were cleaned out of all meat and every kind of bread, crackers, etc. I had planned on going to the store after Bible study for items for our children's school lunches, only to find the shelves bare. I came home empty handed and in a panic. When I drove into the driveway, I noticed bags on our front steps. I investigated, and there were 4 large bags filled with every kind of bread and meat imaginable. I have no idea who put them there, but this was the beginning of His wonderful, loving training in my life. There isn't room to recount all of the miraculous provision He has sent our way and continues to do so.

A very special one this week is we are celebrating our 50th Wedding Anniversary and this happens to be a time of scarcity for us so we made no plans for a celebration. We didn't imagine that anyone even knew of our anniversary, but we got a call from a young couple saying they knew it was our 50th and their Bible Study group wants to honor us by providing a special time for us, which includes a bed and breakfast, meals and $500.00  with which to spoil ourselves and to celebrate. We are BLESSED...The Lord just never stops surprising us with His love, grace, mercy and generosity and with how and who He nudges to send His love our way!!!!

On 6/10/2016 at 3:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Joshua 3:13-17) How was Joshua able to announce the miracle of Jordan stopping its flow ahead of the event? What kind of faith did it require to do so? What did this do for his credibility as a leader? 

On 6/10/2016 at 3:49 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I don't know why I went from 3 to 5 anyway.  The ceasing of manna marked the fulfillment of a promise to deliver the people of Israel to th ed promised land. The people's were no longer nomads and could settle down to raise food. There are times in life when we stumble in darkness and we only survive by Following God's hands. My life is in the season of planting and rebirth 

Manna ceases - After the  Israelite's had celebrated the first Passover in the promised land the Manna stopped, because they no longer require it, in the wilderness it was difficult for them sow seeds and harvest crops as they were travelling for 40 years, so God gave them daily manna and fed them and now when they entered the promised land to begin with they are eating the crops which they did now sow and staying in the houses which they did not build. So God knows when we are in a situation where we are unable to seek God's help and he will definitely provide for all our needs if they are required, but once we become self sufficient by his blessings we are supposed to  plough  the field sow the seeds and harvest the crop by sweating out. Don't take it for granted that Gods blessings are free for ever. Now we should be in stage to sow the seeds of manna in the place where we live and see that others are blessed with the seed of Gospel manna. Our lord is God of miracles and surprises he will bless us abundantly when we follow his word and live by it, then every day it is surprise for us because we know how to live in hard times because he prepares us for both.  

Q5. (Joshua 5:12) 
Why did the manna cease at this time? 
In our lives, why does God let us experience times of manna? 
Why does He sometimes let the manna cease? 
In your own life, are you in a stage of receiving manna or planting seeds for a future crop?

The manna ceased on the very day that Israel was able to eat from the produce of the land of Canaan.
The manna that the Lord had provided was thus no longer needed.
They had reached the Promised Land and it was now up to them to supply their own needs. 
Our loving Heavenly Father is a loving, caring, and gracious Father who looks after His children, and so we experience times of manna. 
However, He sometimes let the manna cease because of need to be disciplined.
This is always done for our own good, so that we can draw closer to Him and to enable our faith to be strengthened.
By the grace of God, I am in the fortunate position of presently receiving manna and of being in the position of planting seeds for future crops. 

(Joshua 5:12) Why did the manna cease at this time? In our lives, why does God let us experience times of manna? Why does he sometimes let the manna cease? In your own life, are you in a stage of receiving manna or planting seeds for a future crop?

The manna was God's provision for a special time, and now it is no longer needed. It was time for the Israelites to produce their own food by planting and harvesting.  God lets us experience times of manna so that we can know that he is the source of our being.  He allows manna to cease because we begin to take things for granted.  Somehow, we begin to think that we are doing things on our own.  I have grown to the maturity of planting seeds for a future crop. 

1. The manna ceased since Israel was no longer in the barren desert which could not be cultivated.   They were now not in desert land; they were not going to be moving from camp to camp.  They now had to fulfill God’s plan moving into the Promised Land.  God stopped the manna so that they could move forward toward God’s plan for them.  It was a means of forcing Israel to increase their faith in God, conquer their enemies and claim what was promised them.

2. God allows us to sometimes experience manna when he sees we need a timeout from finding ourselves overwhelmed and not knowing what to do.  It’s a time provided when we can try to examine our faith, connect more with God and know that He can take care of the situation.

3. God sometimes let manna cease so that we can so that we could not become complacent but grow spiritually and fulfill his plans for us.  When there is no manna, we examine ourselves to determine what is wrong in our lives and how we could go about fixing it.  We look for new doors to open to us, become more attuned to God and are able to see what he wants us to do.  We find ourselves praying more fervently and become more focused when the manna is not there anymore.

4.  I am not really certain what stage I am at.  I am trying to grow spiritually by meditating daily on the scriptures.  My participating in this bible and future such courses will surely benefit me.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:49 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Manna ceased the day after the Israelites crossed over the Jordan and ate from the land of the Canaanites. They were to eat from the land of promise, the Lord no longer needed to provide for them.

There are times in our lives when the Lord provides for us and thus we have plenty, this is his way of blessing us.

Sometimes the Lord's blessings cease, because he wants us to provide for ourselves, not being totally dependent on him. This helps us to increase our faith in him as we go along in life.

In my life I'm still simi-dependent on the Lord. I have more burdens than I can bear alone at times. Perhaps one day the seeds of faith will produce a great crop. I must have enough faith to wait and see.      

Q5. (Joshua 5:12) Why did the manna cease at this time?

Why does he sometimes let the manna cease? In your own life,

are you in a stage of receiving manna or planting seeds for a

future crop?

1. It was no longer needed. Now the Israelites can eat the

produce of the tilled field, and the need for special

provision ceases.

2. We need it badly.He shows us that he is a provider and we

need to depend on him only.

3. Perhaps people get tired of eating it and complain about it.

People take it for granted.

4. Yes

The manna came at a time when the Israelites needed to learn to trust in the Lord.  When the time came for it to end, God's provision would come in different ways in that God would provide for a crop to feed the people.  But God warned that they remember from which the produce came.  The last question is a good question that I am not sure of the answer.  In some ways He is providing manna and in other ways He is having me work the land and give Him the credit. 

Because it was time to eat from the crop from the promised land.

So as to appreciate His miraculous provision for our faith to be sustained.

The manna may cease but God would still be there to take us up to another level of  dependence and faith

I think I am in both stages

• 3 weeks later...

Lest we should say that God makes promises but does not provide support, lest we should say he is not immutable, the promise was for a land of milk and honey and now we are are there, but did we arrive there tired and hungry? No he  hand fed us like babes. Well you are here and no longer babes, you can feed yourselves. You have seen how lush the land is and I have promised that anywhere you see your feet, the land is yours. Begin.

One of the things about manna is that it's accessible and sure, even a blind man can gather it and sometimes in our lives we need that dependence on God to take us past our greatest struggles or what we think is our greatest struggles. Then even then we have passed that stage and wants to keep that dependency God says you're good go on and I'll be there if you  think you cannot make it to the next stage.

Manna is preparation for what God desires of us. We have to realize than when it stops it means we are ready.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Q5. (Joshua 5:12)

Why did the manna cease at this time?

Why does He sometimes let the manna cease?

In your own life, are you in a stage of receiving manna or planting seeds for a future crop?

The Manna normally would not be there on the Sabbath Day.  This time the Manna ceased the day after they had eaten of the produce of the land.  The balance of that year they ate of the fruit of the land of Canaan. 

When we are in a desert experience of our lives, we too are provided with 'Mannna'.  Once in a position where we have planted and can start using that "produce"  the Manna ceases.  

There are times were we need to rely on God to supply our needs through us doing something or using the talents He has given and not just standing begging.