JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Misusing God's Name

• 3 months later...

Christians have used the Bible in court, and obliged the witness to swear that they will tell the truth.  How often have we heard false statements made by witnesses in court?  Since the first, the second and the fourth commandments of God are not respected, so neither do the third commandments.

Today, with the new trend of multicultural, Christian nations have abolished the teaching of God’s Ten Commandments.  Thus the prophecy of the book of Revelation 18:3 has been fulfilled.

Rev 18:3  For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.

Breaking oath or promise, and making a false statement or lying have been the norm of our societies.  The entire Christian world has been corrupted because God’s commandments and His law are not the conditions for living Christian faith.

Base on which law can anyone be judge for taking the promises lightly?  Base on which criteria can Christian reflect God’s characters?

1Jn 2:4  He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn 2:5  But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jn 2:6  He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1Jn 2:7  Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

Taking the Lord's name in vain is misusing the weight that it carries; making the Lord's name worthless. There's people taking the Lord's name in everyday by the terrible words they use. One of the worse things that I don't like is to make promises that are not kept. The Lord's name becomes regular language to some people, they don't take the name Lord serious. This reflects God character as if He is not our creator, like He is human!

"Take the Lord's name  in vain" means, you should not use God's name lightly or frivolously by speaking His name in such a way that our words are useless,  fruitless,  foolish or irrelevant. 

We are tempted to do that when we want to make ourselves to be what we are not.

We take our promises lightly because we do not believe on ourselves.

It does not reflect good by God's character,  we are supposed to take our promises seriously. 

Q3 Joshua 9:16-27: Ex 20: 7, Mt 4:34, 37, James 5:12)

What does it mean to take the Lord's Name in vain? 

Merriam- Webster Dictionary: in vain:  Without worth or significance, absence of value.

God's name is Holy, and is imbued with power and authority. His name is to be spoken with reverence and soberness giving it all the weight and majesty of Who He is. To take His name in vain is to use it in any way which diminishes Who He is.

How are we tempted to do that?

We may use it to pepper conversation in a light or casual manner, or to use it as a cuss word, or to give weight to a statement or to back up a lie. We trivialize His Name when we use it in ways lacking the respect and honor which is His.

Why do we tend to take our promises so lightly?

It demonstrates a lack of character. Men in earlier times were judged by their word, and a handshake was further validity to what they promised. (The phrase "A man is only as good as his word" shows how far we have fallen in that regard. Today, promises mean almost nothing.  When God speaks, His words go forth In power: "So shall My Word be that goes forth out of my mouth: it shall not return to Me void (without producing any effect, useless), but it shall accomplish that which I please and purpose, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it"  Isaiah 55:11

How does this reflect on God's Character?

Because we are His children, we reflect poorly on our Father, Who always keeps His Word.

(Joshua 9:16-27; Exodus 20:7; Matthew 5:34, 37; James 5:12) What does it mean to “take the Lord’s name in vain”? How are we tempted to do that? Why do we tend to take our promises so lightly? How does this reflect on God’s character?

God's name is special.  It carries his personal identity.  This commandment means that if you swear by the LORD you cannot break the oath, for if you do so, you are guilty before the LORD himself.  Often times we use the Lord's name in frivolously or in a curse conversations.  Using the Lord's name in any way outside of praise and worship is disrespecting his name. 

Misusing His name as a cuss word or as an expression like "OMG--oh my God"  Why don't we use Buddha instead?  Why is only His name that way? 

By hearing others use it in everyday dealings.

If someone comes to me & says "I swear it is true" I would tend not to believe him.  It means we can't trust their yes or their no. 

We need to think before we make a promise---about anything.

If I am God's child, what I do reflects on Him and could turn others away from following Him.

1. God’s name is Holy.  He is the omnipotent.  Any use of His name that brings dishonor on Him is taking his name in vain.  Commandment 3 forbids the using of the Lord’s name in an irreverent manner since this shows disrespect for God.  When we say we love God but do not follow his commandments we take his name in vain.  We have to esteem and honor His name.  Not doing this is to take his name in vain.  

2. Many of us do this all the time in careless speech or actions.  We use exclamations such as ‘Oh my God’, ‘Good Lord’, ‘Lord have mercy’ without even thinking about God.  These are utter disrespect for God’s name. The lord’s name should be used only to bless, glorify and praise His name.  It should not be abused by careless speech.

3. Many of us are tempted to take our promises lightly because we are not really devoted to God, we are not spiritual. A spiritual person would not break God’s commandments.

4. God is Omnipotent.  He is the Lord of lords and King of kings.  We are not giving him the esteem and honor due His name. As quoted from Psalm 111:10 ‘the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding of all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth forever.’     When we say we are Christians and live for Jesus, but live our life as if he did not give us laws to obey, then we are mocking God.  As Jesus said of the scribes and Pharisees in  Matthew 15:7-9 ‘Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you saying, 'This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.’

On 6/10/2016 at 3:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Joshua 9:16-27; Exodus 20:7; Matthew 5:34, 37; James 5:12) What does it mean to “take the Lord’s name in vain”? How are we tempted to do that? Why do we tend to take our promises so lightly? How does this reflect on God’s character?

Taking the Lord's name in vain is common practice today even among Christians.  It ignores the power of God, his deity and reduces Him to the common place and vulgar. We takes promises lightly because our societies have influenced us and to thinking breaking a promise or vow  is unimportant and inconsequential.  

Q3. (Joshua 9:16-27; Exodus 20:7; Matthew 5:34, 37; James 5:12) 
What does it mean to "take the Lord's name in vain"? 
How does this reflect on God's character? 
What does it mean? 

It means the unjustified use of God's Name. 
It is also the empty, groundless, without basis, flippant, or insincere us of His Name. 
It is also to blaspheme and bad mouth our Lord, to curse Him; the careless or irreverent use of His Name. 
If we know someone personally, then we will also know the identity and true nature of that person. 
So it is with our Lord. Those who know the Lord, and are close to Him will never use His Name in vain – they will only speak with reverence of Him. They will speak about His wisdom, His might, and the truth of our great God who rules history and shows His sovereignty in acts of judgment and mercy towards individuals and nations. No room for any profanity here! 
Those without Jesus Christ in their lives may be tempted in the company of unbelievers to use His Name in vain, so as not to stand out among the others. They may even be ashamed to known as a Christian. 
Lies, slander, gossip and such are not part of being a believer – only speaking the truth in love identifies a true Christian. 
Jesus called Himself the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6), and He expects those who follow Him to be people of truth. 
The truth is to be expressed in love (Ephesians 4:15), offering hope to those seeking redemption from the lies of the world.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Joshua 9:16-27; Exodus 20:7; Matthew 5:34, 37; James 5:12) What does it mean to “take the Lord’s name in vain”? How are we tempted to do that? Why do we tend to take our promises so lightly? How does this reflect on God’s character?

By taking the Lord's name in vain we are breaking the 3rd commandment, also when used as a curse word we are saying the the Lord's name is insignificant or worthless, thus we have used his name in vain.

We are usually tempted to take the Lord's name in vain when we get frustrated at what we are doing or use it when in a crowd of unbelievers.

We rend to take God's promises lightly because we do not have reverence for him or his name or he will never honor his own word.

By not relying on God's promises shows that we are self content, depending on ourselves instead of honoring God and relying on him.    

a. It means unjust use of His holy name in vein to justify our actions when others don't believe, our Lord has commanded that when we say something it should be truth and you should speak or say something it should be like if it yes it should be and if it is not it should be, let them believe it or not dont take oath in the Lord's name to prove yourselves in front of others.

b.  We are tempted to do this to prove ourselves in front of others as righteous, in most cases people do wrong things and try to take pledge in the name of the God to salvage themselves from the situation.

c.  We tend to take our promises lightly because of lack of spiritual knowledge fear of Lord, If give promise to someone come what may we have to keep it otherwise we may invite God's wrath in our lives, like in Acts we find Ananias and Sipphira were punished for Acts 5:4-10.

d.  God's character is unblemished pure, Holy the one who never lies like humans, and who keeps his promises what comes my at the right appointed time according to Him, like if see in Abraham's life God promised his a son at the age of 75 at at the age of 100 He had fulfilled it, unlike us we neither keep our promises or tend to forget as it is convenient to us. Keeping our promises to fulfil in doing God's work and doing it according to His  Will is the need of the hour in our lives to attain eternal Kingdom.

This includes swearing or cussing, swearing by His name and not honoring it, or flippantly using God's name in ways that are not specifically talking about God or to Him.   We take God's name lightly and not realize how serious it is to use God's name.  I have heard people say flippantly, in order to give credence to what they are saying, ""God told me that we are to do this. . ."  The intention is to manipulate what the person wants more than what God really wants.  Doing this can make God seem less than who He really is.

Q3. (Joshua 9:16-27; Exodus 20:7; Matthew 5:34, 37; James 5:12) What does it mean to "take the Lord's name in vain"? How are we tempted to do that? Why do we tend to take our promises so lightly? How does this reflect on God's character?

1. If we swear or lie by his name, we are guilty before the LORD himself.It is uttering his name,without meaning and gravity and power. Make wrongful use of or misuse his name.

2. When we tell a lie about his word or do something opposite of what he tells us.

3. We disobey God willfully.Using our lips to sound pious.When we do not give him respect.

4. When we are not being an example for the Lord.When we do not rely on him.

Q3. (Joshua 9:16-27; Exodus 20:7; Matthew 5:34, 37; James 5:12) What does it mean to "take the Lord's name in vain"? How are we tempted to do that? Why do we tend to take our promises so lightly? How does this reflect on God's character?

To take the name of the Lord in vain is to dishonour the Name of the Lord by using it as a swear word, for curses, use it to swear falsely or even use it as an exclamation word. In the New Testament, Jesus teaches not to even swear but by letting our Yes be yes and our No be no.

We sometimes times make promises to God without fulfilling them. Also, Christians politicians or civil servants assuming duty use the Bible to take oaths but fail to keep the oath. May god have mercy over us.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To “take the Lord’s name in vain” is to utter the name with disrespect and not in awe of his Sovereignty.

We are tempted to “take the Lord’s name in vain” when we take an oath for that which is meaningless.

We tend to take our promises so lightly we do so not sincerely determine to keep it.

Being careful to use the name of God reverently, reflect on God’s holiness.

This   has  been   very  profound  to  me  . I  have   been  found  myself  using   the   name   of   the   Lord  in  Vain   sometimes   it  may  be  my  feelings  as  I prayer  but   I remember   just  last  week  ,The   Lord  reminded  to  be   very  careful  in saying   "Thus  the   Lord  says  "   .It  may   not   be   out  of   disrespect   but  I need  to  hear  the  Lord  more  clearly  in  patience  before  I speak  

To take God's name in vain is to use His name in anyway that does not honor or glorify Him- the Almighty God.  It is His will that we keep His name holy - set apart above all other names.  

Satan's goal is to mock God.  When we in our sinful nature use God's name in vain - we mock Him.

Sin has so permeated our society in such a way that man's eyes are closed to God's truths and laws so misuse of God's name is common - not even noticed by most people today.

Promises no longer hold any value because they are so easily and often broken.  We can no longer take man's word as anything we can rely on.  This broke down man's trust and the concept of what a promise was truly meant to be...unbreakable.  When we devalue God's attributes we are devaluing God Himself. We need of fully understand what His character is in order to see Him a little more clearly.

Joshua and his advisers had made a mistake. But because they had given an oath to protect the Gibeonites, they would keep their word. The oath was not nullified by the Gibeonites’ trickery. God had commanded that oaths be kept , and breaking an oath was serious. This encourages us not to take our promises lightly.

God’s name is special because it carries his personal identity. Using it frivolously or in a curse is so common today that we may fail to realize how serious it is. The way we use God’s name conveys how we really feel about him. We should respect his name and use it appropriately, speaking it in praise or worship rather than in curse or jest. We should not take lightly the abuse or dishonor of his name.

A person with a reputation for exaggeration or lying often can’t get anyone to believe him on his word alone. Christians should never become like that. Always be honest so that others will believe your simple yes or no. By avoiding lies, half-truths, and omissions of the truth, you will become known as a trustworthy person

• 5 years later...

Q3. (Joshua 9:16-27; Exodus 20:7; Matthew 5:34, 37; James 5:12)

What does it mean to "take the Lord's name in vain"?

How does this reflect on God's character?

Just idly using the Lord's name as a swear word. Just idly using His name in chatting without meaning what you saying. Just using it in jest.  Not showing any respect to the Lord.  Actually it makes His Name be worthless.

Sometimes the temptation to use His name is great just to make what you say is important even if it is not necessarily true. By using His name it is almost automatically taken as truth.  So it is used deceptively. 

No longer is God feared and revered as in the past. All life is taken callously and speech is flippant for the most part, so promises are easily forgotten. Made for the moment and quickly pushed aside as unimportant.

It does reflect on His character because you are like saying things via your tongue as though it would be God saying it.  So in actual fact you are making Him out to be a liar.