JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Consulting God

Q4. (Joshua 9:14; 7:1-5) How did Joshua’s failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel? How did Jesus model close communication with God before making major decisions? What does it take for us to hear God’s voice or to get confirmation from God for a course of action?

• 3 months later...

Consulting God is one of the key things for the success of Joshua’s leadership.  Not consulting God means the man is confident of himself and that may lead him to be proud of himself.  God does not help anyone who is after pride.

Joshua’s failures are lessons for us to meditate that we need God in our daily life, because we are also called to serve God’s cause in this world.  Joshua was chosen to serve God’s will and to lead Israel to conquer the Promise Land.  It was not Joshua’s ambition that made him the leader of Israelites.  His success was to glorify God, not himself.

We should remember always the primary condition of Joshua’s leadership is:

Jos 1:8  This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Jesus did not only constantly in communication with his Father, he also submit himself to God’s commandments, His laws, and to do His will:

Mat 4:4  But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Mat 4:10  Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Mat 26:39  And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Mat 26:42  He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

Mar 14:36  And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

Joh 6:38  For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

1Co 15:28  And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Php 2:5  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Php 2:6  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Php 2:7  But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Php 2:8  And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Php 2:9  Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

Heb 5:8  Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

Jesus taught us to keep God’s commandments:

Mat 19:17  And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Jesus has affirmed that God’s commandments stay until the end of the world, and he also is to fulfil them:

Mat 5:17  Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Mat 5:18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Consulting God and submitting ourselves to God’s will is something to be learnt.  It must start from the very first day of life through the examples of our parents.  If Christian families today have experienced the disintegration of morality, and troubles in the order of its society, it is because God’s commandments and His laws are not respected.

Everyone has been taught about self-esteem, self-confidence and the individual rights.  All people have agreed with those values because the profound reason is the desecration of God’s statuses.  Indeed, Christians are fulfilling the will of Lucifer, the Prince of the earth.

God has predicted the disintegration of human society through the children of Israel:

Deu 31:29  For I know that after my death ye will utterly corrupt yourselves, and turn aside from the way which I have commanded you; and evil will befall you in the latter days; because ye will do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger through the work of your hands.

Hos 4:1  Hear the word of the LORD, ye children of Israel: for the LORD hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land.

Hos 4:2  By swearing, and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery, they break out, and blood toucheth blood.

Hos 4:3  Therefore shall the land mourn, and every one that dwelleth therein shall languish, with the beasts of the field, and with the fowls of heaven; yea, the fishes of the sea also shall be taken away.

Hos 4:4  Yet let no man strive, nor reprove another: for thy people are as they that strive with the priest.

Hos 4:5  Therefore shalt thou fall in the day, and the prophet also shall fall with thee in the night, and I will destroy thy mother.

Hos 4:6  My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

Hos 4:7  As they were increased, so they sinned against me: therefore will I change their glory into shame.

The following verses describe perfectly our Christian world today:

2Ti 3:1  This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2Ti 3:2  For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

2Ti 3:3  Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

2Ti 3:4  Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

2Ti 3:5  Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

2Ti 3:6  For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

2Ti 3:7  Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

2Ti 3:8  Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

2Ti 3:9  But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.

For conclusion, there is no use to consult God, if the people who believe in Christ do not repent and submit themselves to God’s commandments and His laws, in sincere obedience.

Joshua's failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel by sending 3,000 men to take the city of Ai but was defeated and they sampled the provisions without seeking the Lord first. Jesu always  communicated with God before making major decisions. We need to learn to seek God's guidance always before making major decisions.

Joshua's failure to consult God before taking a decision cause the nation to fall into trouble in latter year, God did not fight for them, because they did not  consult Him in the beginning. 

Jesus' model of close communication with God is by seeking God's face by prayer or even with fasting.

It takes praying and listening to God's direction to get confirmation from Him for a cause or action. 

Q4 (Joshua  9:14, 7:1-5) How did Joshua's failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel?

Joshua presumed (sin of presumption) that all was well, and that the Lord was with them to bring victory, and believed the spies report of a small army which wouldn't even require all of Joshua's men to go to battle....and in not seeking the Lords' guidance, they were defeated, chased away in disgrace and lost 36 men.

In the incident in Joshua 9, again Joshua failed to seek God and they were deceived by the men in "costume"...and made a covenant with the imposters, to their detriment later on.

How did Jesus model communication with God before making major decisions?

Jesus laid aside His Divinity and lived on earth as a sinless man, Who was dependent upon guidance from the Holy Spirit every moment....as we are. He prayed, sometimes all night in solitude before making major decisions, such as who to choose for His disciples, and for strength and comfort before facing the cross and His execution. He was constantly in communication with His Father.

What does it take for us to hear God's voice or to get confirmation from God for a course of action?

A personal relationship with Jesus is the beginning of hearing and receiving guidance, but I have to say that before I was truly born again, I prayed for His help in delivering our baby (my mother was dead and I was frightened). I asked: Lord if you're there, will you help me deliver this baby quickly and easily without a lot of pain?"   Our nearly 9 lb baby was born in less than an hour with no pain! The nurses said that is unheard of for a first baby...and wondered what I did to accomplish that? I said "I didn't do anything, but told them how I prayed.

A year later, I prayed again, and said "God if you're there, will you provide a job for my husband with a comfortable salary and NORMAL hours?" (He was a club golf pro and gone every day, at work in the morning before the baby was awake, and home at night after she was in bed....I prayed out of desperation because at that rate she'd never know her father! Several weeks later he was offered a job in California, with a comfortable salary and normal hours....we were in the process of looking to buy a home, from people who were moving to California. We ended up here before they sold their home!  That was the beginning of my search to know God...it took a few more years to hear how to receive Jesus as my Lord and Savior! I was delirious and kept telling people "God is real! He is alive! He answered my prayers very specifically!!!" People thought I was crazy!

I can only speak for myself and my experience, but it took some time for me to recognize His voice. I relied and still rely on Him speaking to me through scripture. Over time, I learned the difference between His voice and my thoughts. (too much danger of "hearing" what I want to hear until I'm certain it's His voice) I used to need several confirmations before I was comfortable, but He showed me the image of a wild untamed stallion who is able to be trained to bit and bridle through gentle, consistent training, until eventually he can be turned this way and that by only a gentle nudge or pressure from the riders knee. That's what He showed me He wanted for us. After 40 years of training, I feel His gentle nudges and respond. For big decisions He almost always says "Wait upon Me"....(Patience...still learning that...probably always will be). While waiting, I listen, I read scripture, sometimes seek counsel from Godly leaders. He has never failed to guide me. Another thing I learned  was from Psalm 37, which seems to be my life Psalm...I'm led there often..."The steps of a good man/woman are directed and established by the Lord....."  George Mueller, the German missionary to orphans, added in his Bible beside that verse, and I did as well: "and He orders the stops."  I start each day in prayer and add: "Lord will you direct my steps today."  then I'm aware of His presence, and when I meet someone, my antennae goes up to listen for guidance in conversation. Sometimes what I think is the plan, changes....with a nudge...and I follow. 

Another helpful thing a Christian mentor shared with me when I was worried that Satan would try to guide me and I'd be fooled, as I didn't know much scripture. She said you can pray for PEACE! Satan is the author of confusion and unrest and anxiety...only the Lord can give you peace. So I might say, Lord, I'm thinking this is what you're saying....if that's the direction, will you give me your peace. If I feel absolute peace, I move in that. 

The cat jumped on the computer and this long space resulted...I don't know how to fix it....I'm sorry!

Joshua 9:14; 7:1-5) How did Joshua’s failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel? How did Jesus model close communication with God before making major decisions? What does it take for us to hear God’s voice or to get confirmation from God for a course of action?

Joshua's failure to consult with God caused humiliating defeat when they tried to take the city of Ai.  Jesus prayed and consulted with the Lord before he made any major decisions.  We, too, must do the same.  When it comes to important decisions, we must learn to seek God's guidance before going forward. Not doing so shows that we feel we can do things on our own.  We must remember that "the battle is the Lord's".

Q4. (Joshua 9:14; 7:1-5) How did Joshua’s failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel?

The times Joshua failed to consult God before going into battle resulted in defeat. Although he had no idea at the time, the things Joshua did were being recorded for posterity to teach everyone who reads them right up to today and beyond. The same is true for everything in the Bible. It's all there for a reason. We today need to include seeking God's direction when making our plans.

How did Jesus model close communication with God before making major decisions?

Jesus prayed all the time. Often He'd be up all night praying when He needed the Father's help with an important mission the next day.

What does it take for us to hear God’s voice or to get confirmation from God for a course of action?

My old pastor, the man who led me to Christ in 1982, had a four-step method for discerning God's will. If you're planning to do something, be it a decision about ministry, a change in employment, anything at all . . he advised me to follow the four steps.

1. Is it Biblical? . . Does the Bible have anything in it that speaks against what you're planning to do? Does the Bible confirm that what you're thinking about is in line with Biblical principles? If the Bible speaks against your planned course of action, then don't do it. If what you're planning lines up with Bible teaching and/or If the Bible appears neutral on your planned course of action, go to step 2.

2. Seek the advice of mature Christian friends. . . Often God will use people to advise other people. They'll be given a word or an impression in their spirit to advise us as to God's leading. 

3. Be aware of doors opening and closing. . . Sometimes we can "see" quite clearly that God has opened a door for us in the way of an opportunity. Sometimes we can "see" quite clearly that God has closed the door. At other times we get the clear impression that God wants us to work at opening a closed door. St Paul was aware of God's leading in this way. God had plans for him that didn't include him going to certain areas.

4. Go with your gut feeling. . . Now this is important. If you want to invite disaster, follow these steps in the reverse order and wait for chaos to ensue!! What I'm getting at here, and what my pastor clearly indicated to me, is that even if we have been given the green light in the first three steps, we sometimes have an uneasy feeling in our spirit about committing. If we're prayerful in regard to making choices that could affect our future, sometimes that gut feeling is God prompting us to not go ahead. If our conscience doesn't condemn us we can move ahead with reasonable confidence that God's will is being done.

In 1997 I was injured at work badly enough that I couldn't return to it. What to do then at just 43 years of age? I'd been playing guitar in bands, Christian and secular, for many years and was considered pretty good by all who heard and saw me play. Everyone . . and I mean everyone, Christian and non-Christians alike . . who knew me told me that this was an opportunity to become a professional musician and do music full time. Now we had two pastors at Church. One was the youngest ordained minister in the history of the Baptist Church in our country. He'd become a Reverend at just 22 years of age. He and I were the same age. The other minister had been called to ministry at age 39, after working regular jobs that included book publishing and teaching in schools. The Reverend, upon hearing that I was considering a career in music, came straight to my house to warn me that I'd be playing the devil's music and to drive taxis instead. With my injured arm being next to useless at that time and in serious pain, there was no way I could drive a cab for the required 12-hour shifts that cabbies have to do. But on the very night when I got home from work after injuring my shoulder I was able to give a guitar lesson. My arm and shoulder didn't impede me in doing that. I was in a lot of pain but I could play guitar without making anything hurt worse. So I went to the other minister and asked his advice. I'd been mentoring his son and the band he was fronting, as well as supplying them with equipment etc. So I spoke with Pastor Bill all morning about my future and what I should do. We talked about the four steps to discerning God's will that my previous pastor (who had moved interstate to pastor another church) had given me and Bill agreed that there was a lot of wisdom in that advice. He didn't tell me directly to follow everyone's advice and become a professional musician, but he did tell me to keep my options open and to be particularly aware of doors opening and closing when looking for direction. OK. I received no monetary payout for my injuries, apart from the measly statutory payout that was, after the government clawed back a substantial part of it to recoup what they'd paid my wife in social security while I was waiting for it, around $5000. I took that to the music store and bought a PA system and a music sequencer to make backing tracks. Now six months prior to my being injured, I had ordered a special guitar from that store. I had some trouble getting them to even order it because they had trouble with the wholesaler who didn't want to import it! Eventually I got my way. They ordered it and I had to wait until it arrived. Now I'd forgotten about it after all that had happened to me. In the back of my mind I knew it'd arrive eventually but it was on the back burner. I was sitting at home, working on the sequencer making backing tracks in preparation for my new career and this particular day I was feeling pretty depressed and doubtful as to whether I was doing the right thing. I asked God for some confirmation . . some sign that I was in His will. About five minutes after I'd prayed that, my phone rang and it was the music shop guy telling me that my guitar had arrived. I nearly rolled my car on the first bend driving over to pick it up! They hadn't opened the shipping box because they were waiting for me to get there. When we opened the box, there is was! The most stunning looking guitar I'd ever seen! THAT was my sign, my confirmation that I was on track. Over the years I've suffered many setbacks and encountered incredible opposition, simply because my level of ability surpasses that of many others in the industry who use technology to cover up a lack of ability. I've been put out of business FIVE times! But each time I've come back by the grace of God. I'm 62 now and as busy as I wanna be. It took me years to "let go and let God" as the saying goes. I still have to work very hard at obtaining bookings, but I'm quietly confident that God is working behind the scenes to help me. For example, I'll be thinking "I really need to redouble my efforts and look for more venues because I've exhausted all my leads" and the phone will invariably ring with a venue manager offering me a gig. Then I'll do the gig and more often than not, get return bookings. The odds of that happening are too small to calculate. It's gotta be God doing His thing. 

1. Joshua lost about 3,000 Israelites in the battle.  The conquering of land for Israel was God’s work, not Joshua’s. Joshua by right had to wait and follow God’s commands.  Maybe he was a bit too self-confident after the first battle and wanted to move forward for the Lord and capture more territory in keeping with God’s promise for Israel.   He forgot to take time to commune with God and ask for guidance.  Joshua just took God for granted.

2. Jesus would pray to His Father for guidance.

3. We need to pray to God and meditate over a situation.  God answers prayers although this may not happen immediately.  We have to have deep faith and believe that all things are possible when God is in charge. 

Q4. (Joshua 9:14; 7:1-5) 
How did Joshua's failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel? 
What does it take for us to hear God's voice or to get confirmation from God for a course of action? 

Yes, not first seeking direction from God was one of the reasons for Israel’s failure.
Jesus was sent by God and did everything here on earth in loving obedience to the Father.
Also, our Lord Jesus and our Heavenly Father are one and the same, so their works are the same.
God should be consulted in all our plans, and they should be made in His will. 
We should live and speak in the realization that our destinies are in His control.
It is important for us to recognize and understand who God is, and how much we need Him day by day.
Indeed, life is a gift of God which comes by His love and mercy.
This brings me to my favourite verses: 
“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6).

On 6/10/2016 at 2:56 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Joshua 9:14; 7:1-5) How did Joshua’s failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel? How did Jesus model close communication with God before making major decisions? What does it take for us to hear God’s voice or to get confirmation from God for a course of action?

By not consulting God before making decisions Joshua brought defeat at "Ai" and making a covenant with the enemy, the Gibeonites.

Jesus always consulted with God the Father before making decisions or doing acts of healing. For he said "he only did that which he saw the Father doing". Jesus spent many hours in prayer before acting on his own.

We must take time in prayers to the Lord before doing anything that would have a serious effect on our lives or the lives of others. Praying about decisions that we get no answers for are those that we must depend on the Lord to guide us. 

He did not learn God's insight and wisdom.  He prayed with the Father before making any major decisions.  We ought to do the same.  It is okay to answer, "I need to pray about it, first."  Then we listen through the Spirit, God's Word and other godly and wise counsel.  Using the example of Jesus to take all major decision to the Lord is not a bad example to follow.

Joshua has failed in the process of waging war against Ai, with underestimating the enemy and not consulting the God Joshua had taken his own decision and in the process miserably failed and humbled by enemy by taking a retreat.  Here God wants the israelis to know that before doing anything they are supposed to consult Him, for that reason God had humbled them before the small nation of Ai, or else in future they will keep repeating the same. 

It is important in our lives to consult God and find out His will in any work we do either big or small, as shown by our Lord Jesus Christ, He consulted God, for example before starting his ministry and choosing disciples.  He has done 40 days fasting prayers Mat 4:2.  He had served five loves and two small fish to 5000 men by praying Mat 14:19 and before  crucifixion prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane and consulting God for the act of salvation, Mat 26:39. 

It  also implies for us also to consult God before taking any major decision in our lives by doing so God will guide in the right direction and there will sure success and victory in our lives.

Q4. (Joshua 9:14; 7:1-5) How did Joshua's failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel? How did Jesus model close communication with God before making major decisions? What does it take for us to hear God's voice or to get confirmation from God for a course of action?

1. It caused suffering a humiliating defeat along with getting 

the whole nation into trouble.                                                                                

2. The secret to Jesus' success was his constant communication

with the Father. He would pray constantly before making a decision.  

3. It takes a willing mind to be determined not to make a decision

until we have heard from the Lord. That means we should pray

constantly to be able to hear from God.

Q4. (Joshua 9:14; 7:1-5) How did Joshua's failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel? How did Jesus model close communication with God before making major decisions? What does it take for us to hear God's voice or to get confirmation from God for a course of action?

The nation suffered defeat as in the battle to take Ai when the army was chased out suffered heavy losses and sustained casualty because Joshua didn't know that there was sin in the camp.

Jesus often went out early in the morning to seek the face God before embarking in important tasks.

We can hear God speak to us through the written word guides on some subjects but we can actually wait upon Him for counsel before taking important decisions. He may then speak to us in a small voice or through the power of the Holy spirit through our own spirit and conscience.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:56 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Joshua’s failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel because they moved forward trusting in the "arm of flesh".

Jesus model close communication with God before making major decisions as we see Him in continuous prayer to His Father.  He tells his disciples that He does nothing except what His Father does and this he knows by keeping communication with God.

To hear God’s voice or to get confirmation from God for a course of action we need to be consistent in our communication with God.  As we communicate with God we learn to recognize how He speaks to us.

• 2 weeks later...

When Joshua failed to consult God, the men in the army were soundly defeated, showing that God's protection was not on them.  

In the Bible it spoke often of Jesus going off to Himself to speak with His Father in order to know and do His Fathers will and not His own.  Likewise, in order to truly live or lives for Him, we too need alone time with our Father to know His will for our life.  We do this through prayer, meditating of His Word and at times, fasting, for clarity. 

Q4. (Joshua 9:14; 7:1-5) How did Joshua's failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel? How did Jesus model close communication with God before making major decisions? What does it take for us to hear God's voice or to get confirmation from God for a course of action?

After the promise had been made and the treaty ratified, the facts came out—Israel’s leaders had been deceived. God had specifically instructed Israel to make no treaties with the inhabitants of Canaan. As a strategist, Joshua knew enough to talk to God before leading his troops into battle. But the peace treaty seemed innocent enough, so Joshua and the leaders made this decision on their own. By failing to seek God’s guidance and rushing ahead with their own plans, they had to deal with angry people and an awkward alliance.

• 5 years later...

Q4. (Joshua 9:14; 7:1-5)

How did Joshua's failure to consult God before making decisions hurt Israel?

Both times we see failure when the Lord was not consulted before a decision was made.  A sin had been committed by Achan and this was not known by Joshua and because he did not consult the Lord it remained hidden to him and the spies who were sent out were deceived into thinking that the city would easily be taken.  As a result they were defeated and 36 men lost their lives and they fled before the enemy and fear filled the hearts of the Israelites.  The Gibeonites deceived them into believing the story that they had come from far away. Here as mentioned before, again the Lord was not consulted.  They were very convincing in pretending to have come to see for themselves what the Lord had done for the israelites.  So a covenant was cut with them.  They proved to be a burden to the Israelites , and also now they had to honour their word by not routing them out and when the Gibeonites were troubled by other tribes the Israelites were honor-bound to help them.

Jesus spent hours alone with the Father before making decisions. We read again and again that He went into the hills to pray.  So we find with His example that in spite of being one with the Father, He laid aside that part of Him and still consulted God when having to make any decisions.  He did not pretend that it wasn't necessary. He fully and completely led by  example.  

We too need to spend time with the Lord in prayer and in the Word.  Confirmation will come and peace will follow.