JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Boasting in Faith

Q2. (Joshua 14:6-14) Why is Caleb boastful in verse 12? Is this a character flaw or a trait to be emulated? Why do you think he claimed the hill country of Hebron for his inheritance? How can a strong leader be truly humble? Why are strong leaders often tempted towards pride?

• 4 months later...

Before we can talk about Caleb boasting on his faith in God, we need to bring back the reason for the distribution of the conquered land to the 12 tribes:

Jos 13:1  Now Joshua was old and stricken in years; and the LORD said unto him, Thou art old and stricken in years, and there remaineth yet very much land to be possessed.

Jos 14:5  As the LORD commanded Moses, so the children of Israel did, and they divided the land.

We can see the conquering of the Promised Land was not finished yet, and Joshua was old.  There was a need for strong and faithful men to complete the work.

Hebron was an important city and being occupied by the Anakims. Caleb was a man of faith, he knew that God was with him and kept him strong for fighting though he was quite advance in age.  Being the leader of a large tribe of Israel, it was right for Caleb to volunteer himself for that important task.

Caleb was not boastful about himself, but about the promise, the blessing of God and his strong faith that God will help him to complete the work.  For this reason Joshua blessed him and granted his request without hesitation:

Jos 14:13  And Joshua blessed him, and gave unto Caleb the son of Jephunneh Hebron for an inheritance.

It is not right for us to judge the saints of God in the Bible.  They are faithful men and they walk with God through their lives.  They are men who observe God’s commandments and His law faithfully.

Christian leaders are often proud of themselves and boastful about their success in building big churches, gathering large number of followers and especially the large sum of money in their bank accounts.  Certainly they have been blessed with excellent interpersonal skills to attract many followers, and their ambition to conquer the world in the name of Jesus Christ is great.

In this world, God confides many talents to every person; it is up to every individual to invest those talents.  But the final judgement of man’s life is not about his riches, his status, his success and his fame in the world.  He will be judge according to his faithfulness to God.  For this reason Christ has said:

Mat 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Mat 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Mat 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Indeed, Christians should rather question about their faithfulness to God, before boasting about their faith.

Q2. (Joshua 14:6-14) Why is Caleb boastful in verse 12? Is this a character flaw or a trait to be emulated? Why do you think he claimed the hill country of Hebron for his inheritance? How can a strong leader be truly humble? Why are strong leaders often tempted towards pride?

Caleb was boasting in the power and ability of God to give him victory over the enemy just as he told the people then to counter the fear spread by the other ten spies.

This is not a character flaw but a good trait to emulate [trusting and putting our faith firmly on the Lord's ability to give us victory].

Caleb claimed the hill country where the giants lived to buttress his faith and claim that God had already given the required victory over the giants.

A strong leader can be truly humble by depending only on God for victory and acknowledging/ attributing the victory to God alone.

Strong leaders are often tempted towards pride when they begin to think that their strength or ability is what give them success.

Caleb is boastful, not of himself, he is boastful about the Lord. He is bragging on the goodness of the Lord. Caleb never doubted what God can do. He listened and believed God and God rewarded him for his obedience. This is not a flawed because Caleb live his latest feel for God only. I believe he wanted Hebron because the Anakite giants lived there and had terrified his fellow scouts 45 years earlier, but, Caleb drove them out of Hebron. A strong leader can be truly humble by supposing submitting their heart and soul to God's cause. Strong leaders that are tempted towards pride are those who self-centered and prideful. 

Caleb was boastful because he trust in the promises of God and believe that what God says He will do, He will do. This is a trait to be emulated. 

Caleb claimed the hill country of Hebron because he believe that God would help him to destroy the three Anakites and their people.

A strong leader can be truly humble by trusting fully on God.

Strong leaders are tempted towards pride because they are always successful in all they do.

He had believed God and was boasting on God--not on what Caleb had done, but what God had done.

Emulated, of course!  Boast on the Lord always!

Because it had much history there--Abraham.

Giving God the credit for what is done.

Strong leaders are tempted by pride to get the attention for themselves.

Q2 Lesson (7 Joshua:) Why is Caleb boastful in V 12?

It's odd but in all the times I've read Joshua, it's never struck me that Caleb was boastful or proud....it seems to me he is boasting in the Lord, and remarked about the long life the Lord had given him, keeping him alive for 45 years since the spy mission.

Is this a character flaw or a trait to be emulated?

Caleb is boasting in the Lord's grace and goodness to him,  and it's a trait to be emulated.  He was saying at 85 he was as strong as when Moses sent him out. That sounds to me like Caleb is thankful for the good health which the Lord has gifted him.

Boasting in self effort is a character flaw, but I don't see any of that in Caleb.

Why do you think he claimed the hill country of Hebron for his inheritance?

Hebron was where he and Joshua had walked when they spied out the land, and Moses had sworn on that day surely the land on which your feet have walked shall be an inheritance to you and your children always, because you have wholly followed the Lord my God. Caleb had followed the Lord wholly all through the years, and now he was asking for the inheritance promised to him by Moses. He was still hale and hearty and was willing to continue to battle the Canaanites who still inhabited it.

Can a strong leader be truly humble?

Certainly....but I would say there would have been "bumps of pride in the road" which had to be dealt with before true humility was part of the character.

Why are strong leaders often tempted toward pride ?

Strong leaders usually have quite a following, which can reflect success and can in fact be success. Leadership is a gift, and I know when I'm flowing in one of "my" gifts it seems effortless and the results can seem like the result of my being there. NOT! The gifts are His Spirit flowing through us, and the results are His and the glory is ALL His. It's true that He uses our personalities but the "fruit" produced is wood, hay and stubble if not flowing from the Branch. We can be grateful for all that He has accomplished and humble at the same time.

1.  Caleb was boasting about is Just because He was promised to be rewarded for showing faith in the God when others are discouraging, Caleb acknowledges his strength in God to fight the enemy that even at the age of 85 years he has strength of a 40 year old.

2.  In the case of Caleb it is not a flaw he is boasting of the grace of God in him that the faithful will be rewarded like this, He boasting of health God has given him, in this whole episode caleb was not boasting about himself but praises God and acknowledges His blessings.

3.  Caleb was asking for the hill country of Hebron because as spy He had walked around that place and gathered information about canaanites, He was promised to inherit the land where his feet have been by Moses for showing faith in God and following God wholeheartedly, and to prove he is having good health to fight the enemy and conquer.

4.  A true leader can be humble by showing gratitude to God and humbling himself before others without pride.

5.  Strong leaders are often tempted to pride, because success brings along pride but one should realise that all that success was possible with Gods Grace. In Joshua's case God Himself promised Joshua 1:5 that no man can stand before him.

(Joshua 14:6-14) Why is Caleb boastful in verse 12? Is this a character flaw or a trait to be emulated? Why do you think he claimed the hill country of Hebron for his inheritance? How can a strong leader be truly humble? Why are strong leaders often tempted towards pride?

Caleb is boastful because he experienced first hand what the Lord had done for him. He has learned to trust in the promises of God. He knows what it is like to have the LORD help him, and he is trusting that the LORD will continue to do so. 

This is  trait to be emulated.  It is good to give a testimony of what the Lord has done for you so others can see the power of God. 

I think he wanted Hebron because there were the Anakite giants that had so terrified his fellow scouts 45 years previously.  Now he has a chance to prove it as leader of "the men of Judah" that the giants were no match for the Lord for he was with them. 

The marks of a strong leader is to be humble.  They must keep the faith and remember to exalt God and not himself.

Q2. (Joshua 14:6-14) Why is Caleb boastful in verse 12, and why do you think he claimed the hill country of Hebron for his inheritance?

Caleb was forty years old when he went to spy out the land, and now forty five years later his faith was still as strong as he in all "CERTAINTY" requested that this mountain the LORD spoke of be given to him; because Caleb was fully committed that the LORD enabled him to enter into the land that the LORD promised his seed would possess. (Numbers 14:24)

Q2. (Joshua 14:6-14) Why is Caleb boastful in verse 12? Is this

a character flaw or a trait to be emulated? Why do you think he

claimed the hill country of Hebron for his inheritance? How can a

strong leader be truly humble? Why are strong leaders often tempted towards pride?

1.It sounds like bragging, but it is faith bragging on the power

of God to keep his promises.

2.It is a trait to be emulated because it is a good one. God wants

us to have faith in him and brag on him and not ourselves.

3.He wanted Hebron because there were the Anakite giants that had

so terrified his fellow scouts 45 years previously.

4.Humbleness comes when we obey God and put him first. When we 

examine our hearts to detect any self-exaltation.

5.It is certainly possible for leaders to develop an ugly,

self-centered pride.They are still human and need to

constantly pray, fast,and read the word,to avoid pride.

1. Caleb had faith in God.  He knew that God would be there with them to conquer the Promised Land.   God would protect them and make what seemed impossible, possible.

2. A trait to be emulated.  Not many 84 years old can attest to feeling 45 and going to war.  His faith made him confident and willing to continue to make conquests for the Lord.  

3. Caleb was loyal to the Lord.  He waited 45 years for the cursed Israelite population to die out to conquer Hebron.  Hebron was rugged territory and this fitted in with Caleb’s courageous, fighting spirit.  He also chose Hebron I think to fulfill the promise made by God ‘The land on which your feet have walked, will be your inheritance and that of your children’.  Joshua 14:9

4. A strong leader can be humble if he is spiritual and trusts in the Lord. Humble leaders are open to listening to others, giving encouragement and support to those under their command.

5. Strong leaders are tempted towards pride because they put themselves first and not the Lord.  They tend to forget that the Lord is always with us.  They become too confident and forget to praise and thank those under their command for contributions made. 

Q2. (Joshua 14:6-14) 
Why is Caleb boastful in verse 12? 
Is this a character flaw or a trait to be emulated? 
How can a strong leader be truly humble? 
Why are strong leaders often tempted towards pride? 

I don’t think Caleb was boastful at all; rather he had complete faith in the fact that God would be with him.
He followed and trusted God wholeheartedly having no confidence in his own ability. 
Yes, this is a character trait to be emulated by believers today.
He showed the sincerity and integrity which is the result of undivided faith in our Lord and His promises. 
Caleb does not seek a rich or easy inheritance, but one full of danger. 
The Anakim, were not completely defeated, and some still lurked in parts of the country.
It would not be an easy task to dislodge them.
With God’s help he would defeat them at Hebron and take that city for his inheritance. 
As God had promised in Deut 1:36: “Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh; he shall see it, and to him will I give the land that he hath trodden upon, and to his children, because he hath wholly followed the LORD.”
And again in Numb 14:24: “But my servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit and has followed me fully, I will bring into the land into which he went, and his descendants shall possess it.”
Strong leaders often do not give the Lord credit for what they have achieved; rather boasting about their own abilities.
Often they are idolized by their followers – easily resulting in a bloated opinion of themselves, leading towards pride. 

On 6/10/2016 at 3:02 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Caleb is boastful in verse 12 because he has faith in God and the promises he has made to them to go and take possession of the land.

This is not a character flaw in Caleb, he knows God will help him in taking the city of Hebron and the surrounding area just as Moses had told him. God promised the choice of land for him and his family.

He most likely claimed the Hebron city for his inheritance because it was well fortified and Caleb wanted to rid it of the giants.

A strong leader is humble because he has placed his faith and trust in God and is obedient to him. Fe knows the Lord and wants to please him, thus he has no self pride.

Some leaders are tempted towards pride because they forgot the Lord they serve. They begin to believe that it is their own wisdom that has got them where they are forgetting about the Lord.  

The land was divided exactly as God had instructed Moses years before. Joshua did not change a word. He followed God’s commands precisely. Often we believe that almost is close enough, and this idea can carry over into our spiritual lives. For example, we may follow God’s Word as long as we agree with it, but ignore it when the demands seem harsh. But God is looking for leaders who follow instructions thoroughly. Caleb was faithful from the start. His faith was still unwavering. Although his inherited land still had giants, Caleb knew the Lord would help him conquer them. Like Caleb, we must be faithful to God, not only at the start of our walk with him, but throughout our entire life 

Caleb is boasting in the Lord.  He trusted in the Lord for deliverance and was willing to put "his money where his mouth was," so to speak.  He was willing to settle in the Land of the giants because he trusted in the Lord to deliver him as he had stated 40 years earlier and again as then settled in the land.  It is a character flaw when boasting is in ourselves and not giving glory to God.  Caleb claimed the hill country because a good leader won't ask anyone to do something he is not willing to do himself.  Caleb trusted in the Lord just as he was asking others to do the same. Strong leaders are tempted toward pride when they get their eyes of God's ability and mis-places the ability on ourselves.  The problem with positive thinking teaching is that it often places the "I can do it!" on self rather than God.  This leads to pride and pushing God out of the picture and the focus.  

On 6/10/2016 at 4:02 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Caleb is boastful in verse 12 because he had proven that God would be with him and see him come through victoriously.

This is indeed a character  trait to be emulated because it maintains faith in God.  I think he claimed the hill country of Hebron for his inheritance because he remembered the victory God brought  to them there and it was fertile land that produced much fruit.

A strong leader can be truly humble when he diverts all attention away from himself and exalt the heavenly Father for the things he had done.

strong leaders often tempted towards pride when they take the praise of their followers.   The followers are not being told that the battle was won by God and not anything the leader did.

Q2. (Joshua 14:6-14) Why is Caleb boastful in verse 12? Is this a character flaw or a trait to be emulated? Why do you think he claimed the hill country of Hebron for his inheritance? How can a strong leader be truly humble? Why are strong leaders often tempted towards pride

Caleb knew the Lord would help him conquer them. God is looking for leaders who follow His instructions, fear Him yet humble.

• 3 weeks later...

In the words of the apostle Paul in 1 Cor 1:31, let him who boast, boast in the Lord. And this is what Caleb is doing boasting in the Lord and not in himself. He has obviously noted that his feet does not hurt nor is his clothes worn out and attributes all this to the Lord. Coupled with what he sees and knows, he, (like we who believe  today should) has no doubt in his mind that God will deliver as promised, God and the word of God has become second nature, as we say, to him.

I believe he chose Hebron for two reason;1. to prove to the people that God is true, 2. thus glorifying and extolling God. 40 years ago he boasted that the land can be taken with God as their help and protection. He is going now to prove that with God's help, giants are no match for Israelites.

Strong leaders can truly be humble when the work towards righteousness, I can quote the whole of the book of Proverbs, but to make along story short, strong leaders are really servants to all that they oversee and better leaders if they serve according to the word of God. They must look out for the widows, orphans and solourners and ensure they are not oppressed. 

Like David when he numbered Israel, like Solomon in his latter years, like Uzziah when he grew strong, like Nebuchadnezzar, strong leaders are tempted to pride when they think too much, When they think their achievements are basically through their own efforts. They no longer think that it is through God that their success lies and they let themselves forget Him.

• 5 years later...

Q2. (Joshua 14:6-14)

Why is Caleb boastful in verse 12?  Is this a character flaw or a trait to be emulated?

How can a strong leader be truly humble? Why are strong leaders often tempted towards pride?

I don't take him to be boastful. Caleb was chosen to represent the tribe of Judah, even though he was a Kenizzite, when 12 leaders of the people were chosen by Moses to spy out the land. Only he and Joshua encouraged the people that they would be able to conquer the land and take it for a possession.  He saw God to be bigger than the giants and other difficulties the 10 spies saw. To him God was big enough when he was 40 yrs of age, just as even at that moment God was big enough now that Caleb was 85 yrs old.

In Deut 1:36, Moses says that Caleb and his children will inherit the land upon which he has walked.  Caleb had waited more than 40 yrs for his inheritance.  He claimed exactly that portion which had put off the other spies, where the giants lived.  The land that Caleb saw that God would indeed drive out the enemy from before him.  This was the hill country of Hebron.

A strong leader can be truly humble when he acknowledges his inability to tackle the leading alone and his leaning on God to help him.  Often people place strong leaders on a pedestal and that is when the danger of pride comes in.