JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 months later...

Free from any sin-set apart to God alone.

God made us holy by sending His Son Jesus to pay the price for our sins. 

Our lifestyles should reflect Jesus.  We are in the process of sanctification and will continue until we die.  Almost the whole of the New Testament shows us how to grow in sanctification--our character changing to be more like that of Jesus.

Christians who denied God’s commandments and His laws can never be “holy”.  They have never truly repented from their sins; their faith are not built on the “rock” (God’s Word) and they are not living under God’s grace.

Mat 7:24  Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Mat 7:25  And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

How can Christians purify themselves if they know not God’s commandments and His laws? (2 Corinthians 7:1)

The reason for Christians continue to sin is because they do not abide to God’s commandments and His laws.  If Christians are observing God’s law then they will not fall into the law of sin as Paul has said:

Rom 7:25  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Rom 8:1  There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Rom 8:2  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

As long as Christians continue to deny God’s law, then they cannot be better than the Israelites who broke God’s law and they have had suffered the consequences of the curse of God (Deuteronomy 28:15-68) until the present time.

The Christian world will certainly suffer and be condemned as Christ has said:

Rev 19:20  And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Holiness means being sanctified in living for God Almighty, not the world because we become separated from the worldly living. Our body, mind and soul is centered on living a Godly life. (2 Corinthians 3:18) says it perfectly, "And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit".

Holiness means being sanctified in living for God Almighty, not the world because we become separated from the worldly living. Our body, mind and soul is centered on living a Godly life. (2 Corinthians 3:18) says it perfectly, "And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit".

Holiness is to be negatively separate from all that is unclean, and positively to be completely and totally God's. 

Because God has cleansed us br the Blood of Jesus we have become holy.

Holiness should affect our lifestyles by being transformed into God's likeness,  that is being sanctified and live/act in a holy way, which is pleasing to God.

Joshua lesson 7: Joshua 23:11-13)

Q2: How would you define holiness?

Unimpaired virtue; Pure righteousness. Set apart for God.

What makes us holy?

Christ ALONE! At the cross the Great Exchange occurred: Jesus took all of my sin (and of the whole world, for "whosoever will" come) upon Himself, along with the punishment and wrath of God that I deserved,  and in exchange, gave me all of His righteousness and the good that He deserved. His new nature in me, makes me holy. His grace covers me, and the Father now sees me as He sees Jesus, with love and acceptance. His beloved child. Justified: "Just as if I've never sinned" and  in process: More of Him, less of me.

How should our holiness affect our lifestyles?

Because of His amazing grace in saving me, my desire is to honor Him in all that I do, and in the way that I live. if I behave in a way that is contrary to His desires for me, I dishonor Him, and reflect badly on His Name, and diminish my witness for Him. The gift of His Holy Spirit now lives in me, to lead me into all truth, to  guide, teach, and train me in how to live for Him, and to correct me if I fail. His comfort restores my soul and encourages me to continue on growing in grace and more and more in love with Him and with others.

(Joshua 23:11-13) How would you define “holiness”? What makes us holy? How should our holiness affect our lifestyles? 

To be holy means (negatively) to be separated from all that is unclean, and (positively) to be completely and utterly God's.   What makes us holy is how we act.  Because we are God's own, we must separate ourselves from the world and live a life that is pleasing to Him.  

Q2.

(Joshua 23:11-13) How would you define "holiness"?

To be separated totally from anything that tarnishes or pollute s and clink to the Holy Lord God Almighty

What makes us holy?

The character of the Holy God at work in us which enables us to be holy.

Our holiness should cause us to walk in holiness with the Lord and with one other.

Holiness can be defined as to live without any trace of sin,

And it is possible only by having Faith in the Son of God Jesus Christ and believing in the cross.

And our holiness should reflect in our life style by keeping our spiritual life high by walking exactly the way Jesus showed us to walk and keeping the body and flesh, wants and desires away, because these two are against each other, our life style should set as an example in the non believers as Paul said to follow him as a model.

My concept of “holiness” is the consecrating of oneself to God. It’s being pure in thought, word and deed, being spiritual and humble, living a life for Christ.  It is a life of complete devotion to God.

I think that giving our lives to God, being filled with the Holy Spirit make us holy.

Holiness should make us more humble, pure in thoughts and deed.  It should make us spread God’s words to others.

Q2. (Joshua 23:11-13) How would you define “holiness”? What makes us holy? How should our holiness affect our lifestyles? 

Totally surrendered to God.  Allowing the holiness of God to rub off on my attitude and behavior.  He makes our heart pure, but He also renews our heart and transforms our mind to be more and more like Jesus.  Refining us to get out the impurities so we can reflect Jesus clearly.

Q2. (Joshua 23:11-13) 
How would you define "holiness"? 
What makes us holy? 

Holiness is the separation from the penalty of sin by the blood of Jesus Christ our Saviour.
Also, set apart from the world to belong to the Lord. 
We become holy when we put our trust in Jesus, after having repented of our sins.
We have a right relationship with God and for the rest of our life we try to become more and more like Jesus. It will initially be difficult but with the help of the Holy Spirit it will be done. 
In theology they speak of the “Order of Salvation”.
After being elected we hear the gospel call, then we are regenerated by the Holy Spirit (born again), we accept in faith and repentance; God now forgives us and gives us membership in His family (making us holy - justification), as well as granting us growth in the Christian life (sanctification) and keeping us faithful to Himself throughout life (perseverance). At the end of our life we die and go into His presence, then when Christ returns we receive resurrection bodies (glorification), and the process of acquiring salvation is complete. 

On 6/10/2016 at 3:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Joshua 23:11-13) How would you define “holiness”? What makes us holy? How should our holiness affect our lifestyles? 

Holiness is being dedicated and separated to the Lord, living as Christ did.

Having accepted Christ as our Savior and having faith in him we are made holy just as he is holy.

Holiness should affect our lifestyle by the fact that our character, moral beliefs and mindset are all lived by giving glory to God. We are purified, washed in the blood of Christ and living our life for him.   

Q2. (Joshua 23:11-13) How would you define "holiness"? What makes us holy? How should our holiness affect our lifestyles?

1. It is purity or integrity of moral character; freedom from sin. To be holy means (negatively) to be separated from all that is unclean, and (positively) to be completely and utterly God's.

2. When we turn away from our ways and receive God’s way. "When we purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God." (2 Corinthians 7:1).

"For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring us to God." (1 Peter 3:18)   In so doing God made us righteous, and cleansed us.

3. We should be an example to the world and not care what anybody says about us. We should be willing to do everything we can to serve, please, and left up God.  We are God's holy people, and we must act like it.

Q2. (Joshua 23:11-13) How would you define "holiness"? What makes us holy? How should our holiness affect our lifestyles?

Follow all that is written in the Bible. Don’t associate with non belivers or worship other gods; Worship God only and follow his deccres. Without Him temptations will ruien our lives. 

On 6/10/2016 at 4:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Holiness is separation from the world and unto God.  We are made holy through Christ.  When we receive Him as our Savior, His blood that was shed cleanses us from the filth of sin and we are made holy.  Because God has made us holy our lifestyle should reflect holiness and we should strive to live in and by God's holiness that comes to us through His Word.

• 5 years later...

Q2. (Joshua 23:11-13)

How would you define "holiness"?

What makes us holy?

Holiness is being separate unto God. Not to let ourselves be contaminated by loving and desiring the things of this world. Not to be overcome by it. We are made holy by no doing of ourselves, but by Christ having taken upon Himself our unrighteousness and placed His righteousness on us.  So now  it is as if the old "me" is dead and it is Christ that is alive. My lifestyle should now reflect Christ.  When looking in the "mirror" it is Christ's reflection that we should see.