JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Foreign Gods

• 4 months later...

1st commandment--love the Lord with all your heart, soul and strength.  Competing gods causes us to not obey that commandment.

They became divided--not serving God only. They began to compromise.

Our gods can be anything that keeps us from loving the Lord wholeheartedly--anything that keeps us from serving & worshipping God.

We need to seriously ask ourselves what is it that keeps us from time with God?  Perhaps keeping us from the Bible????

Where & what are our priorities....

The false gods to be thrown out are the pagan gods that pagans are worshipping.  They are Baal, Buddha, Krishna, Allah, Ashtoreth, Apollo, etc and their traditions are included.

Joshua reminded the Israelites to keep God’s commandments and His laws and do not stray into the pagan ways and their beliefs:

Jos 23:6  Be ye therefore very courageous to keep and to do all that is written in the book of the law of Moses, that ye turn not aside therefrom to the right hand or to the left;

They must conform themselves to the first commandment of God:

Deu 5:7  Thou shalt have none other gods before me.

Deu 5:8  Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:

Joshua was very clear that Israelites must stay away and do not learn or copy anything from the pagans:

Jos 23:7  That ye come not among these nations, these that remain among you; neither make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause to swear by them, neither serve them, nor bow yourselves unto them:

Jos 23:8  But cleave unto the LORD your God, as ye have done unto this day.

It is a misconception to put man’s passions as a kind of foreign gods.  While allowing the worldly passions taking over one’s life, man will fall into sin for violating God’s commandments and His laws.

God has condemned the spiritual fornication of Christian Churches that they are doing through their ecumenical movement and welcoming pagan beliefs and their gods as legitimate companions with the Most High.

Christian Churches are following the Roman Catholic Church to offend the Most High and challenging His almighty authority:

Rev 2:14  But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

Rev 2:20  Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

Rev 2:21  And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

Rev 9:21  Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Rev 14:8  And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.

Rev 17:2  With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

Rev 17:4  And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

Rev 18:3  For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.

Rev 18:9  And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning,

Rev 19:2  For true and righteous are his judgments: for he hath judged the great whore, which did corrupt the earth with her fornication, and hath avenged the blood of his servants at her hand.

Inter-religious marriages between Christians and pagans are very prone, thus Christians put themselves to the risk of accepting pagan gods, their teaching and traditions.

Solomon was an example:

1Ki 11:1  But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites;

1Ki 11:2  Of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love.

1Ki 11:4  For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.

1Ki 11:5  For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.

1Ki 11:6  And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father.

1Ki 11:7  Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon.

1Ki 11:8  And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods.

And he had provoked God’s anger:

1Ki 11:9  And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice,

1Ki 11:10  And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods: but he kept not that which the LORD commanded.

1Ki 11:11  Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant.

Therefore, Christian Churches should not be surprised when Christ rejects them upon his return:

Mat 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Mat 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The Israelites were to throw away their foreign gods before everyone gets infected with serving a foreign god and not the Lord God Almighty. Keeping these images in he house only brainwash them into forgetting all about the true God. I learn in life while walking with the Lord not think greatly on worldly and focus on heavenly things.

The Israelites has to throw out their foreign gods, because it will turn them away from the God Almighty. 

The effect of keeping these images is that they would bow down to them and worship them, and these images are powerless. 

Different kinds of foreign gods contaminate our homes and lives such as, money,  sex, football, pleasures etc.

We have to throw them out and concentrate fully on God.

Lesson 8: Joshua 24:23

Q3: Why did the Israelites have to throw out their foreign gods?

The Israelites were bowing down to them and their hearts were no longer inclined and devoted wholly to God. The gods had taken the honored place in their homes and hearts.

What was the effect of keeping these images in their houses?

Probably like many in the church today, they were straddling the fence...one foot "in God", and the other "in the world"...lukewarm, and as Jesus said. worthy "to be spewed out of His mouth" like tepid, stale water. Probably secretly worshipping the idols while outwardly going through the motions and rituals of the law which God required before the cross nullified it.(Romans 8)

What foreign gods contaminate our homes? Our lives?

Anything that takes first place in our hearts and lives: Money, position, status, sports, where we live, what we drive, where we vacation, our children can become idols, our jobs, television, addictions to electronic devices. (constantly checking email, phone texts, Face Book, I Pad's, electronic games...) Even how we serve God can become a "god", if we serve for the wrong reasons. (Position? Status? To look spiritual? for Approval from others? Boost poor self esteem? (from not knowing who we are in Christ)

What would be involved in "throwing them out"?

It depends on what the "god" is. (Can't throw out kids, spouses, phones,  or quit jobs :) The first step in change for me is recognizing I'm off track, and admitting it! The next step is talking to the Lord about it, and asking Him to deliver me from anything which comes before Him in my heart or life and repenting! Surrender the "god" to Him. Ask Him for help in getting things which must be kept, in proper priority. It may mean disengaging from Face Book, or electronic games, etc.. It may mean setting certain times of day for a short period of time for other time consumers. Some that I mentioned have become "gods"  due to "holes in our souls" which only He can fill and heal. Seek counseling and / or deliverance where needed. (I read that in Japan they have 12 step recovery groups for people and even little children who are addicted to electronic devices, and people are being set free!)

When I was very new, I realized that a ring I'd inherited from my grandmother was a scarab, with Egyptian symbols carved in the stone underneath, which didn't show. I didn't feel good about wearing it, and wasn't sure what the symbols meant, and didn't want to give it to someone or sell it if it had religious significance, so I destroyed it with a hammer in my zeal. Maybe extreme, but I felt better after it was gone and thrown in the trash.

Q3. (Joshua 24:23)

Why did the Israelites have to throw out their foreign gods?

Because they could not serve two masters.

They would become like the nations that they were to dis-posses their land, -rebellious and disobedient.

What "foreign gods" contaminate our homes, our lives? What would be involved in "throwing them out"?

Foot ball/ other sports, money, our jobs/ business, cars, television, etc

(Joshua 24:23) Why did the Israelites have to throw out their foreign gods? What was the effect of keeping these images in their houses? What “foreign gods” contaminate our homes, our lives? What would be involved in “throwing them out”?

The Israelite's had to throw out their foreign gods because they had began to compromise with the culture around them. Some of them possessed household gods representing Baal and other gods worshiped by their neighbors. They began to worship the other gods.   Anything that we put before God can be considered "foreign gods" whether it is money, recreation, job, power etc.  You don't necessary have to throw these this out, just do not let them take the place of God.

On 6/10/2016 at 4:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Joshua 24:23) Why did the Israelites have to throw out their foreign gods? What was the effect of keeping these images in their houses? What “foreign gods” contaminate our homes, our lives? What would be involved in “throwing them out”?

The presence of idols is a distraction from worshiping the one true God and a temptation to stray to something that seems more attractive .  the idols in my life are consumerism...boy do I love to shop but things I buy do not fulfill me spiritually. I also practice yoga which is great for my mind and body. however there is a spiritual side of yoga that in my mind crosses into idol worship

The foreign gods would have become a distraction to the Israelites.  They might have forgotten God’s commandment: ‘Thou shall have no other gods but Me’ and begin to look at the other gods.

Keeping the images in their household might have compromised the religious beliefs and their relationship with God.  They could have started to worship such images.

Love of money; addiction to alcohol, drugs, gambling.

Throwing out the ‘foreign gods’ would involve committing yourself to God and not allowing Satan to tempt you.  It would involve keeping God’s commandments and allowing His presence guide our minds

Q3. (Joshua 24:23) Why did the Israelites have to throw out their foreign gods? What was the effect of keeping these images in their houses? What “foreign gods” contaminate our homes, our lives? What would be involved in “throwing them out”?

God wants our whole-hearted love towards Him.  Having the foreign gods was compromising their love and devotion.  The idols become snares and traps to lead you astray.  We might not have graven images, but we have other things we love or give our attention and devotion more than we give to God.  It can be sports, money, success, career, family, even church.  Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.  

Israelite's have to throw out the foreign  Gods because as God's first commandments states them to strictly, as said in Deu 5:7 thou shall not have none other Gods before me. These are all pagan Gods in idol form made by human beings called by different names.

These images and idols when they are in our homes, it indicates that we have allowed them to stay with us instead of our God, we get influenced by these and drift towards them, it indicates  we have become disobedient to God, we are trying to serve two masters at the same time.

Here foreign goods mean not only pagan Gods but also all those that we love more than our God and give first place to in our lives, may be our position, children, money, drugs, alcohol and several habits with which we spend more time than our Lord God. They contaminate our lives and homes.

It involves our hearts to be cleaned first and throw away from our hearts what ever idols are stacked inside us, sweep it clean and allow our lord to stay in our hearts and make it his temple as said in 1cor 3:16.

What "foreign gods" contaminate our homes, our lives? 

The Israelites, with time, started to integrate with the Canaanites, forgetting their covenant with God.
And many adopted the Canaanite pagan culture, intermarrying, and even worshipping their false gods. 
James sums it up well in 4:4: “You, adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred towards God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.”
To be a friend of the pagan culture is to be an enemy of God.
To disobey is ultimately to run the risk of losing God's help. 
Joshua warns them of the dire consequences of their disobedience and idolatry – defeat, discomfort, and disgrace. It is the same today when we contaminate our homes and our lives.
We read in 2 Timothy 3:2-5 about the godlessness in the Last Days, but I feel it could just as well apply to our world today. In our world today the emphasis is on money, more money, sport, sex, and power.
“People will love only themselves and money. They will be proud, stuck-up, rude, and disobedient to their parents. They will also be ungrateful, godless, heartless, and hateful. Their words will be cruel, and they will have no self-control or pity. These people will hate everything that is good. They will be sneaky, reckless, and puffed up with pride. Instead of loving God, they will love pleasure. Even though they will make a show of being religious, their religion won't be real. Don't have anything to do with such people.” (CEV).
People don't live holy lives separate from the world and they are more and more involved in their own pleasures. In this world system there is no room for God or His Son. 
More and more we see the name of Christ is unwelcome, or even forbidden.
We need to shift our priorities - is Jesus Christ really first?
We need to throw out everything that interferes with this relationship. 

On 6/10/2016 at 3:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Israeites had to throw out their foreign gods because they were worshipping them instead of the true living God.

Keeping these false gods in their homes meant that they were still depending on these false idols and not putting full trust in God.

Foreign gods that contaminate our homes is video games and people being hoarders of old junk.

To be motivated in getting rid of the video games and throwing them out would take a person renewing his life to the Lord. 

Q3. (Joshua 24:23) Why did the Israelites have to throw out their foreign gods? What was the effect of keeping these images in their houses? What "foreign gods" contaminate our homes, our lives? What would be involved in "throwing them out"?

1. Joshua said, We must do no less than topple the gods that have crept into places of priority over the true God. This is part of holiness, and part of what it means to love the Lord with heart, soul, mind, and strength.” Part of holiness is to have one God and put nothing before him.

2. The  people would not love God because of an image taking his place. Therefore, a relationship with God would not be of any concern. "Where our treasure is, there our heart will be also.... No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." (Matthew 6:21, 24)

3. Sex, sports, telephone, money, ****, and anything that is useless or taking the place of God.

4. Turing to God completely, acknowledge what needs to be thrown out, and having a determined mine to live for God all the way. Repent, pray, reading his word, and fasting.

Q3. (Joshua 24:23) Why did the Israelites have to throw out their foreign gods? What was the effect of keeping these images in their houses? What "foreign gods" contaminate our homes, our lives? What would be involved in "throwing them out"?

Joshua told the Israelites to throw away their foreign gods, or idols. To follow God requires destroying whatever gets in the way of worshiping him. We have our own form of idols—greed, wrong priorities, jealousies, prejudices—that get in the way of worshiping God. God is not satisfied if we merely hide these idols. We must completely remove them from our lives.

The covenant between Israel and God was that the people would worship and obey the Lord alone.

On 6/10/2016 at 4:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Israelites had to throw out their foreign gods because they could not serve the one true God and worship the foreign gods.

The effect of keeping these images in their houses led to a divided heart.

“foreign gods” that contaminate our homes, and our lives are entertainment medias, any thing that robs us of devotion to God. “throwing them out” would allow us to use the time in fellowship, worship and service to God.

• 5 years later...

What "foreign gods" contaminate our homes, our lives?

According to them, when they were asked to choose whom they would serve, they chose to serve God, Who had taken them out of slavery. For this reason they had to throw out their foreign gods, because if you choose to serve Yahweh, it is Him and Him alone you serve. The foreign gods will make you be like an adulterous wife, i.e., not be faithful to her husband. You will not be faithful to Yahweh.

Keeping the images in their houses, made them fail in the purpose of being separate unto God.

Anything that takes the place of God in our lives.  It can be wealth, jobs, poverty, sex, our families,  fashion, phones, friends, society, being in the spotlight, staying in hiding, etc.

Throwing out whatever comes between us and our Elohim, will involve keeping our eyes focused on Him and Him alone, living for Him and being prepared to make decisions He would have you make and sticking to them, no matter what. I am in for this kind of lifestyle. I desire You and You alone, my King and my God.