JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Motivation to Return

Q1. (Ezra 1:5-6) Why did only some return to Jerusalem when given the opportunity? What are the likely characteristics of those who return vs. those who stay behind in Babylon? Why do only some answer Jesus’ call to follow him on his journey to a radically different kind of lifestyle and mission? What are the characteristics of true disciples?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/15/2017 at 2:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Ezra 1:5-6) Why did only some return to Jerusalem when given the opportunity? What are the likely characteristics of those who return vs. those who stay behind in Babylon? Why do only some answer Jesus’ call to follow him on his journey to a radically different kind of lifestyle and mission? What are the characteristics of true disciples?

1 a. God touched the heart of Cyrus first to set them free to leave, and then touched others with a longing to go. Those not touched by God, had no desire to leave with the others.

b. I think the ones who returned had a pioneer spirit, a sense of adventure, and a passion to see their homeland and temple restored and the wall rebuilt. They may have been more devout in the faith and possessed that "Can Do" attitude. Those who stayed behind were content and settled in for the long haul. They probably had a love for the land and farming and had no desire to start over from scratch. The "Bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" mentality. Stick with what is known and familiar. (The former sound like the brave missionaries of modern times, willing to leave family, home and country to go across the world to preach the gospel.)

I don't have that pioneer spirit, but 50 years ago the Lord answered a prayer for me regarding a job for my husband. I wasn't born again, and prayed: "God if you're there...." Three weeks later a job opportunity had come "out of the blue" and we were packed and moving to another state, with no idea where we would find a place to live,  and with our 9 month old baby. I knew that job was answered prayer so it was easy to leave family and all that was familiar. We were young. Now? The Lord would have to do some coaxing to move me. So, age may have played a factor in those who stayed behind...change is more difficult the older we get, and for young parents with very young children it would be daunting to travel in those days.

c. Jesus called it "Soil condition"..( believers). Mt.13:3-9.  The seed fell on the roadway (hard packed "hearts"), rocky ground (shallow soil lots of other priorities), soil choked with thorns (no room for Jesus and His Lordship), and good soil (whole hearted and open to Jesus).

d.  As far as non believers, they've rejected His call and gift of salvation and prefer to live the way they want to live without Him.

e.  A disciple is one who is devoted to Jesus, seeks intimate relationship with Him, is hungry to read, study and learn God's Word, willing to have his/her heart changed to allow the fruit of the Spirit to flourish and to nourish those around him/her, and to reflect Jesus in their lives. One who knows he/she is loved unconditionally, is forgiven, washed clean and wearing His "ermine" robe of righteousness, secure in His strong arms knowing he/she will never be let go or rejected.

(good heart soil: surrendered to the Lord's will and call on ones life, and who is a loving ambassador for Jesus....a love letter written on a heart of flesh, not on stone.)

Q1. (Ezra 1:5-6) Why did only some return to Jerusalem when given the opportunity? What are the likely characteristics of those who return vs. those who stay behind in Babylon? Why do only some answer Jesus' call to follow him on his journey to a radically different kind of lifestyle and mission? What are the characteristics of true disciples?

Since many had been prospering who were born in confinement, it can be hard to give it all up when things are going well for you. Especially if you had a family of your own to take care of. Another thing that would come to question would be one's faith at the time. When you look around today at how many people claim to know Jesus and use the words "praying,  prayers sent," etc., on social media sites when someone asks for prayer and even when it comes down to those requesting, there is sure to be a certain volume of people who will request it, however, only when things turn sour in their life but when things are going good its party time. Not having been around at the time it would be unfair to use that category for people I never even knew, but it seems like a pattern thing. The same when it comes to answering Jesus to follow Jesus through a new type of life. I hear things like "i do my own Bible study(when they're not loaded, perhaps), or maybe things are going okay for them and they think they have no use for Jesus. It seems like the further people get from God as a whole, the numbers increase until something really bad happens that affects many and even then only a certain amount will change. A true disciple, in my eyes is one who is in regular communication with God, start the morning off with dedicated personal time in praise, thanks, apologizing(not because you got caught), reading the Bible and mostly just listening to what He has to say to you. Personally, I believe God will talk to His people on an individual basis.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Only some returned to Jerusalem because God had prepared the hearts of  the people he had chosen to go back first.  Those who returned were interested in seeing their homeland again. They had the faith that they could rebuild.  They were being obedient to God. Those who stayed behind were content and had become comfortable away from their homeland.  Some had become financially stable and did not want to leave what they had accumulated.  A true disciple is one who that follows Christ.  

Maybe some were called to stay, to minister to those unable to physically follow? In Acts when the Church was persecuted, some believers stayed n some went.

Home missionaries are as valid and vital as those called to go. It can be equally radical following Jesus to Tesco as it can be following Him overseas

Edited by Godswoman
Extra meditation on passage

Q1. (Ezra 1:5-6) Why did only some return to Jerusalem when given the opportunity?

Answer: Because the others are already contended and satisfied with their lives in their new found home.

What are the likely characteristics of those who return vs. those who stay behind in Babylon?

Answer: Those who return are the kind of people who has a heart for their beloved nation who cares much about their true home and those who did not return are vise-versa.

Why do only some answer Jesus’ call to follow him on his journey to a radically different kind of lifestyle and mission?

Answer: Because some people are afraid to changes, they are scared to go out of  their comfort zone, they are contented with what they have.

What are the characteristics of true disciples?

Answer: A true disciple is someone who follow Christ UNCONDITIONALLY!!!

Q1. (Ezra 1:5-6) 
Why did only some return to Jerusalem when given the opportunity? 
What are the likely characteristics of those who return vs. those who stay behind in Babylon? 
Why does only some answer Jesus' call to follow Him on His journey to a radically different kind of lifestyle and mission? 
What are the characteristics of true disciples?

God moved the hearts of some to return to Jerusalem. The same way He motivated Cyrus to free the Jewish exiles; even helping them financially to rebuild the temple. Those that remained had settled over the years and must have been living a comfortable life – not really interested in the hardships that might await them and their family in Jerusalem. In contrast, those that God motivated to go were responding in obedience to our Lord. Their attitudes had been changed to one of desiring to please God. It is God who puts within us the desire to do His will. He also gives us the power and means to carry this out. The true disciple is the one who loves the Lord with all his heart and earnestly tries to be obedient at all times. They willingly have Jesus reign over their lives and they thirst for His righteousness. The true disciple is not focused on earthly matters but rather his thoughts are on eternal values. They do not love the world and realise that they are only passing through and have their sights set on eternity. 

I think that only some returned to Jerusalem because the others were too comfortable and complacent to have to go through all the work that would be required to move back. Those that returned were those that were uncomfortable and were probably quite religious and wanted to go back and rebuild the temple in order to follow God.

Some of us know that Jesus is the only way there is to heaven and want to do what he commands. We are looking at the future and wanting the best.

It is God who stirs the spirit, not only did He stir the spirit of Cyrus to grant freedom to the captives , but God also stirred the hearts of the Jews to give them a desire to return to Judah. For it is God who works in us all to do His will and to do His good pleasure. We must understand that God does not need a whole bunch of people to do His will. This may not reflect on the lesson here, but we all remember the story of Gideon in the book of Judges chapters 6 and 7 when God instructed Gideon to reduce the number of people he had with him from twenty two thousand to three hundred then God allowed them to over take the Midianites. God to me just want to use those who`s heart are in the things they do, those that are committed to do the will of God.

I think only some returned because of the hardships that would have been involved in such a journey.  Those who stayed may have had legitimate reasons why the could not make the journey, but there were also some that had become comfortable where they were.   After 70 years the younger people would not have even remembered their homeland.  They would have only known about it from the teachings of their elders.  This impresses on me the importance of passing down a longing for Heaven and for serving God to the younger generation.  They are the ones we will need to take over what we will eventually not have the strength to do.

I suppose those who were born in Babylon felt no need to go back.  They had built another life in the country their ancestors were exiled to.   Those who returned were the ones steeped in their ancestral customs and were desirous of rebuilding the temple in their ancestral city.

Those who returned were deeply rooted in the culture, religion of their Jewish ancestors. They were aware of their ancestors' exile and knew that God was in control and had now prepared a way for them to return and rebuild His temple.   Those who did not return had most likely given up on their ancestors’ beliefs and culture. They probably looked on themselves as havingwith no ties to Jerusalem.   Also maybe they did not want to leave so wealthy a city.

They believed in God their Savior.  They wanted the prophecy to be fulfilled, that they return to their country after their period of exile had ended.  

True disciples are those who spread the Good News about God and His Kingdom.  They are the ones who believe in Him and are ready to make sacrifices for Him.

Why did only some men return to Jerusalem when given the opportunity? 

No attachment to ancestry...God. some may have rather stayed where they built a life and not go out to the unknown to start over.  

what are the likely characteristics of those who stayed behind in Babylon?

complacency, lack of faith, fearful, indifference.

Why do only some answer Jesus call to follow HIM on this journey to a radically different kind of lifestyle and mission?

The parable of the shower Matthew 13:1-23...a man scatters seed on four different kinds of ground...1. The hard ground "by the wayside" where no seed grows at all. 2. The stony ground which has enough soil to sprout but no depth so it doesnt take root and withers. 3. The thorny ground where seeds grow but soon get choked out by the thorny bush. 4. The good soil...the seed sprouts, takes root, and produces fruit.

What are the characteristics of true discipleship?

Obedience and surrender to Christ's calling.  A "reporting for duty" attitude.  Prayerful and spiritfilled.  

Q1. (Ezra 1:5-6) Why did only some return to Jerusalem when given the opportunity? What are the likely characteristics of those who return vs. those who stay behind in Babylon? Why do only some answer Jesus' call to follow him on his journey to a radically different kind of lifestyle and mission? What are the characteristics of true disciples?

The people who returned were those who held faithfully to God. Jerusalem was the city of their people and the place of their Temple. It was the center of their religion. Those that stayed were probably too comfortable or not devout or maybe just not interested. Seems the same today. Some are willing to believe and thus have faith. Others are too comfortable and unwilling to let Jesus rock their boat, afraid of the light. True disciples are not afraid to follow where God leads.

There may be many answers to that question. The foremost on my mind is that they don't realize that they were the "baskets of good figs", Jer 24:3-7; rather they focused on the wrath of God and would not risk having going through that again. I think also that they believe that God would only be that way in Israel and they would be safe in captivity. There are also those who would have been born or have children born in captivity and believe or were convinced that captivity is the end of all things and may have no desire to continue to worship God. Some may have been thinking that they can contribute to the return and worship from afar.

The situation is no different today; some want no part of Jesus's crosses; some want no part of His promise of tribulation; those who are comfortable with the status that their cultures and traditions afford will not think of changing their religion; like some of the exiles who think that captivity means the ends, there are those who think, when your dead you're dead. My biggest reason though, I think, is that people cannot wrap their heads around eternal separation  or the consequence of eternal separation from God.

God moved the heart of Cyrus to make the proclamation and together with that he moved the heart of the Jews who were willing to return and rebuild the temple. Though these Jews were in Babylon they believed that the Lord will intervene. They had a great desire to return to their homeland and rebuild the temple.

The Jews who had settled in Babylon, had started to live their life as exiles and did not want to return to a place where they thought was no security and they would have to set up everything right from the beginning. They would have thought that it would be a tedious and tiresome journey back to set up their lives starting from scratch. Their comfort, material possession and security in Babylon led them to think that it was not worth sacrificing everything to build the temple that was completely destroyed. The task was too big for them to imagine.

They who returned remembered how the Lord had led their ancestors through times of trials and tribulations and given them victory over the enemies. They believed that the Lord who had moved the heart of Cyrus the King will lead them through to rebuild the temple at Jerusalem. They were protected all throughout their exile period. If God can move the heart of Cyrus and touch their hearts, it was his leading and the temple can be rebuilt with God’s help. God was calling them to do the service that was required then. They were ready to be part of God’s plan

The people who give ear to God’s call experience changes in their attitudes, desires and beliefs. They change themselves to be in line with what God wants them to do and hence follow His will. There is a desire in them o follow God more closely and hence they adapt to the new lifestyle and mission assigned to them.

True disciples heed to God’s voice and follow the plan God has assigned to them. They follow in obedience without being complacent to their circumstances and they carry the burdens of their Master and do what they can in fulfilling the purpose.

Question 1 :

a)     Why did only some return to Jerusalem when given the opportunity?  :

Then rose up the chief of the fathers of Judah and Benjamin, and the priests, and the Levites, with all them whose spirit God had raised, to go up to build the house of the LORD which is in Jerusalem. (Ezra 1:5)

In my opinion only those as mentioned in Ezra 1:5, living in obedience to God, were raised up to return to their Jewish homeland to rebuild the Temple – it is the same influence God had on Cyrus’ spirit to free the Jews to return to Jerusalem – In the Persian king, God raised up an earthly king to accomplish His very own divine plan for His people, the Jews – bringing them back from captivity. Remember ! The 70 years is up (Jeremiah25:11~12)

On those who did not return : Many remained in Babylon – some probably too old (70 yrs. Since the destruction of Jerusalem) to endure the long journey – same for those with babies and young children – and many would have been sick and disabled – finally, let’s not forget those who were already living in comfort as many Jews had attained noteworthy status during the reign of Cyrus, these were probably born during the captivity in Babylon.

B)    What are the likely characteristics of those who return vs. those who stay behind in Babylon?

I believe, that those who returned from exile lived in obedience to the laws of God – those were the ones who lived in Babylon, who continually professed their love for Jerusalem saying, “If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill. May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you, if I do not consider Jerusalem my highest joy.”

On the other hand, those who did not return were not influenced or called by God. They could have been the ones, with their Babylonian names, had accepted the way of life there, and being complacent did not see the reason to return from exile – probably accepted the religion of the land and lived in disobedience to the God.

c)     Why do only some answer Jesus' call to follow him on his journey to a radically different kind of lifestyle and mission?

For me, the call of Jesus, is a call to repent and return to the Good News – the many, if not all Jews then were called by Jesus - many did these were the chosen ones – but this paved a way for the Gentiles to be followers of Jesus today all over the globe.

But answering the call is not all there is – Christians would have to find and walk through the narrow gate – only those who most deservingly receive the gift of Salvation – only those who REPENT & RETURN to this new way of Christian life will be rewarded with this gift, which leads us to gate and walk through to sit with the Lamb at the consummation of all things.

But many, including Christians are living in complacency – the comforts of life they take pleasure in makes it difficult – they just can’t leave behind their luxuries and coziness behind and answer the call of Jesus – it’s just too arduous – they’d rather say “O Jesus I’ll be a Christian from where I am – all the while I’m driving – I just cannot that extra mile You require

d)    What are the characteristics of true disciples?

Jesus said, Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven” (Matt 10:32-33). A true disciple will always freely broadcast Jesus Christ.

Discipleship must come hand in hand with obedience to Jesus and without that it’s just unthinkable! “If you love me you will keep my commandments” (Jn. 14:15).

If anyone wishes to come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me” (Lk 9:23). Therefore, answering and following Jesus involves being hated, persecuted and the readiness for martyrdom.

Question 1

a) Why did only some return to Jerusalem when given the opportunity ?

> They had lived with expectation of going back.

>  They longed to see restoration of worship in the temple.

>  They were devoted to their faith.

>  Their hearts were touched by God.

B) What can you say about those who remained?

They were in their comfort zones and going back looked like a bother to them.

c) Why do only some answer to Jesus' call to follow Him ?

• Conviction by the word of God by the Spirit of God.
  • A miracle performed in life devine healing and others.

d) Characteristics of true disciples.

• Receive Gods word with gladness.
  • They mix the word of God with faith - leading to change of life. Hebrews 4:2
  • Receive the word with readiness of mind. Acts 17:11.

Q1. (Ezra 1:5-6) Why did only some return to Jerusalem when given the opportunity? What are the likely characteristics of those who return vs. those who stay behind in Babylon? Why do only some answer Jesus’ call to follow him on his journey to a radically different kind of lifestyle and mission? What are the characteristics of true disciples

Many years had passed since the captivity that some had already forgotten about their lives as God's chosen people. Some had no knowledge and/or experience as to what it meant to be God's chosen people. Others, I believe preferred their present lifestyle and didn't want to bother with the move. 

I believe characteristics of those returning were : they were hopeful, obedient, humble, optimistic, motivated, encouraged, grateful vs those that stayed behind: probably some had legit reasons, but if you truly love God and are dedicated to Him, humbled because God has made it possible for you to return to your homeland, you would set aside everything and follow God.  I would say some of those who stayed behind could of had grown resentful, perhaps some were simply lazy, unmotivated, and their hearts had turned cold, and insensitive to the Holy Spirit.

I believe being sensitive to the Holy Spirit requires a willing heart. Not many answer the calling because it takes sacrifice to follow Jesus.  A true disciple is dedicated, obedient, humble, valiant, constantly seeking God's direction and instruction. He learns from the Great Master of masters. As phillipians 3:8 says “Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ".

They returned out of a longing to return home. This was a dream come true, a prayer answered. Along with the pricking of their hearts fromGod. The ones  remained had become  complacent after such long captivity. Others never believed in the heritage. Others had notoriety there and refuse to lose it. Without hope, there is no future. You must believe in God without wavering. Believe in wholeheartedly. 

On 8/15/2017 at 4:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

There were some Jews who returned to Jerusalem when given the opportunity because they wanted to return to the true worship of the Lord and rebuild the temple.

Those that wanted to return to Jerusalem were not happy living in a land that had many false gods, they wanted to return and worship one true God. Others who did not want to return to Jerusalem were complacent living where they were. It would haave been too much trouble to pick up and leave the land of Babylon.

Only a few people who have come to the faith of believing in Jesus as their savior are comfortable living as they are, they wish not to change their life style and follow the Lord.

True disciples of the Lord are more than willing to change their life style and follow the Lord reguardless of where he leads them.     

On 8/15/2017 at 4:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Who is among you of all His people? May his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem which is in Judah, and build the house of the Lord God of Israel (He is God), which is in Jerusalem.  And whoever is left in any place where he dwells, let the men of his place help him with silver and gold, with goods and livestock, besides the freewill offerings for the house of God which is in Jerusalem.

Then the heads of the fathers’ houses of Judah and Benjamin, and the priests and the Levites, with all whose spirits God had moved, arose to go up and build the house of the Lord which is in Jerusalem. And all those who were around them encouraged them with articles of silver and gold, with goods and livestock, and with precious things, besides all that was willingly offered. Ezra 1:3-6

Key Verse 4: And whoever is left in any place where he dwells, let the men of his place help him with silver and gold, with goods and livestock, besides the freewill offerings for the house of God which is in Jerusalem.

Some were called to go with the first group to rebuild, while others were called to support the effort with silver & gold, goods and livestock.

The key to knowing who returned lies in chapter 5 with the statement, "them whose spirit God had raised." It appears those who went needed an unctioning of the Holy Spirit of God. 

The characteristics needed to go back to Jerusalem is faithfulness, trustworthiness, loving, devoted, dedicated, hardworking, and prayerful.

To answer the call of Christ one must be ready and willing to totally surrender all. Many people are attached to this life. Scripture is very clear, one must be willing to lose their life for Christ's in order to gain eternal everlasting life. Unfortunately, the Scriptures states "many are called but few are chosen."

One must be obedient, faithful, willing to die, focused, and willing to pick up your cross and blindly follow the Messiah.