JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Discipline

Q2. (Haggai 1:6, 9-11) God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). Sometimes through us not having all that we need. What is such discipline intended to do in our lives? Are you experiencing hardship? What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it?

• 1 month later...

To wake us up, realize there is a reason for those hardships and circumstances.  It may be discipline, but it also could be to grow us more.  Not really experiencing real hardship right now. I need to be ready to obey when it does come & let Him have his way in me.

On 8/15/2017 at 2:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Haggai 1:6, 9-11) God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). Sometimes through us not having all that we need. What is such discipline intended to do in our lives? Are you experiencing hardship? What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it?

I partly answered this in Q1 in the words He whispered to me this week, having not read this first. But to enlarge on reasons for hardship that I've experienced: To teach and to train me  in righteousness, to weave Perseverance into my life, to lead me in paths of righteousness, to shape my will to His will, to crucify my flesh and refocus my priorities  to His priorities. He "tests" our character and our faith in order to strengthen both. His tests are always pass or retake, until He's satisfied that we are growing in faith, character and obedience. His desire is for me to be dependent upon Him in order to fulfill His plans, purpose and destiny for me.....and waiting, temporary lack, and hard circumstances drive me to Him  to supply "all my need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."

And as Charles Spurgeon said so eloquently God shapes His soldiers (of the cross) through hard marches, deprivation, and sleeping on hard ground, not on feather mattresses then goes on to say that most of his own shaping has been through God's tool box of hammer, chisel, and rough file. I can relate to his wisdom and words and agree, and appreciate all of the time and love He takes in perfecting us as He conforms us into the image of Christ. (Phil 1:6 and Romans 8:28 & 29)

The Lord showed Joseph his destiny in 2 dreams when he was 17, but before he could be trusted with all that was planned for his future, he was "chiseled and hammered and filed" when he was thrown into the dry well, betrayed by his jealous brothers, sold on the auction block of slavery, lied about  by Mrs. Potiphar, years in prison, forgotten and bound by chains  "until the iron had entered into his soul" (Psalm 105) and his character brought glory to his God. Then he was ready to be second in command to Pharaoh in Egypt.

1 Peter 1:7, ESV: "so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."

Q2.  (Haggai 1:6, 9-11) God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11).  Sometimes through us not having all that we need.  What is such discipline intended to do in our lives:  Are you experiencing hardship?  What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it?

My attitude about life is that Life-Is-A-Classroom.  I am not disciplined, but,  I am taught and given tests to pass.  Sometimes I pass the tests I am given and sometimes I flunk.  If I passed every test that God handed me I wouldn’t be here because I would have completed all the grades and graduated (with honors) into Eternity.  The hardships He sends are opportunities to overcome if only we can see these occasions as such.  I buried a son who taught me about dying.  I am at an age when living on SS can be a challenge.  I have been through hell and back and I know that God loves you and me.

The Lord uses discipline to make us stronger. Sometimes we become angry or depressed because of a weakness in our makeup. This weakness might be a physical shortcoming or it might be a personal shortcoming. God's discipline teaches us to find our strengths and use them. In this way our relationship with God grows stronger.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The discipline that we go through is meant to get our attention.  God withholds material blessings from us because that is the best way to get our attention. Obedience is what God is looking for.  I am not personally experiencing any hardship, but I have in the past.  I had come to recognize that I was putting too much before the Lord. Now, I try to make sure that God gets his time whether it is through prayer, studying his word or being a servant in the House of the Lord.  I have family members that go through one thing after another.  The more they work, the less they have.  I try to tell them they need to develop a personal relationship with the Lord and their life will be so much better.  When we obey God, he will open up the floodgates of heaven.

Things are going good for me at the moment and currently no qualms with the way things are. I have, however gone through times where things were so bad that I would wonder how could people prosper the way they do and I always seemed to be at the bottom looking up. It wasn’t until I met Jesus and began to know Him on a one-on-one basis that my eyes were opened to the fact that I was the problem all along. I’m not saying that things changed from rags to riches overnight, although it might have been such a success story had I not looked away from Jesus and tried to see exactly what He had in mind for me. It wasn’t until I was at the point of having to move “under the bridge” with a winter freeze breathing on me and I re-located and given a roof over my head and after a couple of years, I cried out to God begging for another chance, asking Him if He would employ me doing whatever, just let me know. In less than a year I re-located once again, this time ½ way around the world and informed that I would be starting a youth Bible based ministry. I guess that is what you could call my rags to riches story. All of a sudden having more than enough, though not to the point I could actually call myself rich, which that doesn’t matter anymore as we are now able to help others and that, to me is worth more than money anyway.

What would God be saying amid such a hardship? I would say He is calling for obedience among His people and not to be wasteful with any type of resource what-so-ever, be it material goods, time, energy, etc.,. God will prosper His people if they seek first the Kingdom of Heaven and start doing as they should.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Am experiencing hardship at present, and it has been so difficult that I think I may have missed what God is trying to say to me in the midst of it. I know it says those whom He loves, He chastises or disciplines. But I have been dealing with hardship in multiple areas, and one of the main things I feel like God has been trying to communicate to me is to trust Him, no matter what it looks like. I know I don't have unshakeable trust in the Lord, but am learning how to open my hands and let it go; all the things and people I've been clinging to and putting first in my life, instead of seeking Him and giving Him first place.

God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). Sometimes through us not having all that we need. What is such discipline intended to do in our lives? Are you experiencing hardship? What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it?

I have been through hardships and difficult circumstances in my past. I was living out of the will of God. I went through a state of depression, loneliness, self pity, and so forth. It took me a while to realize that God was trying to get my attention. Though I learned to tithe most of my life, my spiritual life was non existent. I went through the motions of attending Sunday morning service, maybe Wednesday bible studies, but my heart was far from God. I was a young single(divorced) mother, angry at my circumstances but never stopped going to church. After many years of having one foot inside and one out of the church, God, through His great mercy, brought me back to Him. He mended my wounds and established me in Him. It did not happen overnight, but I can testify that I am where I am today, because I finally opened my heart to God and allowed Him into my life. I enjoy a close relationship with HIm.  God has blessed me both spiritually, emotionally, physically, and I lack nothing and desire nothing but to continue growing in the Lord and to do His will. I'm not saying all is perfect, but I have put my trust in My Father in Heaven to supply ALL of my needs and to gratefully thank Him daily for who He is and for what He will do not only in my life, my children's, but in those around me and throughout the world. God is good.  

I am happy  with Pastor Wilson, slowly but sure I know My Lord has plan for me to learn my first  bible Study. Because....

Last year I was looking for help because hardship and circumstance. I found one of Pastors in my area, I remember Bible Psalms 121and intensif time to communicate with God also to hear Gods Voice. So I can only Imagine what He has done with His time.

This theme about Discipline is very important for me self to organize my life walk with Jesus anyway and everywhere.

On 8/15/2017 at 4:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Hardships, circumstances or not  having all I need to do the Lord's will teaches me that I should depend on the lord to work things out so that I can do that which he wishes me to do. Through this I have learned to wait for the Lord's timing to accomplish things.

I always experience hardships  of some sort or another. Patience is a virtue indeed.

In the midst of all this I know God is trying to tell me to wait on him.

Q2. (Haggai 1:6, 9-11) 
God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). 
Sometimes through us not having all that we need. 
What is such discipline intended to do in our lives? 
Are you experiencing hardship? 
What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it?

God’s intention is to mould us into the image of His Son, our Lord Jesus. He disciplines His children always in love and for our benefit – unlike our earthly fathers, who might try their best, but being human will err now and then. At the same time God’s discipline is always perfect, since His love is infinite and His wisdom infallible. I have not been experiencing any hardships lately and can only thank my Heavenly Father for all His Blessings He has showered on me and my wife. I am most grateful. Thank You Lord Jesus!

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 5:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is my belief that being disciplined helps redirect one's priorities so they can get back to the required tasks.  

I am not experiencing hardships. To YAH goes the Glory.  HalleluYAH!  It appears the Caribbean Islands, Mexico, Florida, Haiti, Cuba, Turks and Caico, and Puerto Rico are suffering due to earthquakes and hurricanes.   

When I have trials and tribulations, I count it all joy.  We will suffer as our Messiah suffered, it is a part of our calling.  

Screenshot_2017-09-23-06-59-37-1.png

Q2. (Haggai 1:6, 9-11) God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). Sometimes through us not having all that we need. What is such discipline intended to do in our lives?

Answer: The discipline is intended for us to realize our wrongdoing towards God. It will also help us to correct our old and wrong belief on God.

Are you experiencing hardship?

Answer: I AM!!!

What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it?

Answer: Just today, two times I encounter His word telling & reminding me about tithes, for me to return to Him what is due Him if I want to be blessed abundantly.

Q2. (Haggai 1:6, 9-11)

Q. God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). Sometimes through us not having all that we need. What is such discipline intended to do in our lives?

A. To teach us to be faithful in obedience as our God though loving and merciful, expects us do what is right or else He punishes us to discipline us.

Q. Are you experiencing hardship? What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it?

A. Yes I do experience some difficulties some times particularly financial. 

There are times I have been certained that God is telling me that I have been selfish by acting as if I am the owner and user of my resources while in actual fact I am just a steward of the resources.

Q2. (Haggai 1:6, 9-11) God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). Sometimes through us not having all that we need. What is such discipline intended to do in our lives? Are you experiencing hardship? What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it?

1. It is to strengthen us and let us know we must go through the right way. It will help us and let us be a witness for others. His discipline helps us to put away our ugly ways that we see and do not see.

2. I am experiencing a little hardship at the present.

3. It is financially, but that is because God wants me to be thankful when he do bless me with a great amount of money. We need to know what it is to have and not have money. God wants us to trust and obey him.

Yes. I have been through hardships in almost every phase. Every time I learn a new lesson that helps me walk closer with God. There are times where I have thought why is God not listening and why is he so far away. But I have experienced His divine protection and strength in every circumstance. These experiences are there to make us stronger and trust longer. We must not lose our faith but stand firm amidst any storm. Psalms 23 says that "He will lead us through the valley" and so many verses in the Bible remind us that he will be with us in every area.

• 2 weeks later...

It is true that The Heavenly father sometimes makes us go through hardships to make us strong spiritually, or even to put us strongly in  spiritual track when we forget Him and live worldly, in Heb:12:7-11 we find that son is he whom the father God  chasteneth not.

Yes I am facing certain hardships in my life, with which I feel God wants me to refine me spiritually, and keep remembering him at least because of the hardship which brings in me repentance to refine all the walks of my life. And God is telling in the mist of all the hardships to me that It is the make you spiritually strong and to bring all your family members to Him, by act of which the Lord is disciplining my life, to serve Him better all the time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 2:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11)and sometimes through us not having all that we need; when we are faced with these situations we must be disciplined to trust God. We must rely on the Good Shepherd, that  He will provide and meet our need.  At the present I am not experiencing any hardship.  Today I chose to deliberately have a thankful heart and give God praise, glory and honor for who He is - FAITHFUL.

• 4 weeks later...

been lingering over this question (great and grate) over a week.  When I returned to God circa '97 was flying high by world's standards with a jet-set consulting etc taking me to many places including Caribbean and Mexico, almost all of USA, Canada etc; since formal return in fall '98 sure hasn't been any form of prosperity gospel!!1 in fact that theme part of my difficulty/introspection responding.  From ALL (maybe not health) secular perspectives total disaster(s) and very painful.  In hindsight realize how much perching, correction etc required from what had become deep rooted sins /habits but/and also great mental challenge to DO Phil 4:8 trying to sift through "best practices/state-of-the-art leadership and team effectiveness concepts which was my bread and butter.  Have now spent close to 20 years trying to resolve "good prophets and good profits" and really tough as so much of what I was weaned on (and taught others) is , well so upside-down to Gospel.  

So I seem to have lost everything (friends, family, fortune, fame (own mind anyway) and probably more to come

2. (Haggai 1:6, 9-11) God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). Sometimes through us not having all that we need. What is such discipline intended to do in our lives? Are you experiencing hardship? What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it?

\

Such discipline is intended to tighten our relationship with the Trinity.  Life itself is hardship to some degree or another on a regular basis.  God is saying to me as well as all of us that He is our shepherd.  Read Ps. 23.  

God sometimes disciplines us through hardships and circumstances (Hebrews 12:7-11). Sometimes through us not having all that we need. What is such discipline intended to do in our lives?To teach us to return to our God. To enable us obey God as he blesses those who obey him. Are you experiencing hardship? What is God trying to say to you in the midst of it? He wants to get our attention.

• 1 year later...