JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Discouragement

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2017 at 2:24 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Haggai 2:1-5) Discouragement is a common experience. What command does God give Joshua the high priest? What assurance does he give? To deal with your own times of discouragement, what would God’s command and assurance be for you? How would you implement them?

1. God said to "be strong, alert and courageous."

2. He said:  "For I AM with you" says the Lord of hosts.

3. The very same words comfort and encourage me if I panic when hit with a fiery dart from the enemy. 

4. To implement them I would read them, and write them on a piece of paper to keep handy...memorize them. And quote them aloud like a prescription, "as needed."

I remember from a Beth Moore study on "Breaking Free", that the lies we've believed which beset us are like "wallpaper on our minds." We need to change the wallpaper by replacing it with the truth of Gods' Word, in order to tear down the stronghold. She said in really serious times she carried a notecard with scripture verses in her purse and had been seen reading them aloud as she grocery shopped. I've never done that, but I did ask the Lord to give me specific scriptures for each of the many strongholds I discovered during the study, wrote them in a little notebook (which I still keep handy because strongholds can be STRONG and can crop up when we're not expecting them to) and I read the scripture "prescription" He gave me during that time. I've also been learning about tearing down strongholds!

5. This verse isn't one that I'd written down but now have it handy to deal with a lie I was told as a child regarding health, which just cropped up to terrify me. When fear or real discouragement come, my default mindset goes back to when I was very young and " I was all alone, with no one to help me and I had no resources." Just the reminder in WRITING, I AM with you, comforts me and reminds me that what was true back then, is no longer true now that I'm His beloved daughter.

Q 3. (Haggai 2:1-5) Discouragement is a common experience.  What command does God give Joshua the high priest?  What assurance does he give? 

God tells Joshua to “be strong” because I AM with you wherever you go.  WOW!

To deal with your own times of discouragement, what would God’s command and assurance be for you?  How would you implement them?

When I am discouraged that’s when I storm the Heavens with prayer.  I ask God to help me to see positively through the challenge.  I need all the help I can get to rise again and proceed without being negative.  What assurance does He give me?  He draws me closer to Him and gives me strength just like He gave it to Joshua.

The command God gives Joshua the high priest is to be brave and to get to work. I think that these commands are as good today as they were for Joshua the high priest. I would implement them be believing that God is with me all the time and especially when I am doing the work he wants me to and I would go to work.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:24 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Haggai 2:1-5) Discouragement is a common experience. What command does God give Joshua the high priest? What assurance does he give? To deal with your own times of discouragement, what would God’s command and assurance be for you? How would you implement them?

The message that God gave to Joshua was to be strong, courageous and work because he was with him.  I do get discouraged at times.  I believe God's word that he will be with me.  I go into prayer, mediate on his word and wait for an answer.  Always, I receive the strength to continue the work that I had been so discouraged about.  

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God instructed Joshua to be strong, and God assured Joshua that he would be with him. Basically the same as he told Joshua and Zerubbabel but we have to trust God with all our heart. I know sometimes this becomes a difficult task especially when your bills are due and you have no job, or the extreme over takes the basics.

Q3. (Haggai 2:1-5) Discouragement is a common experience. What command does God give Joshua the high priest? What assurance does he give? To deal with your own times of discouragement, what would God's command and assurance be for you? How would you implement them?

God tells Joshua the high priest " This is what I covenanted with you when you came out of Egypt. And my Spirit remains among you. Do not fear.'" (Haggai 2:5)

The same as he tells the people  in Jerusalem  in the time of Haggai. 

By working at God's  project   as did the people.

Q3. (Haggai 2:1-5) Discouragement is a common experience. What command does God give Joshua the high priest? What assurance does he give? To deal with your own times of discouragement, what would God's command and assurance be for you? How would you implement them?

God told Joshua to be strong, that He would always be with him. God does not change. God’s command & assurance would be the same today as it was 2,000+ years ago. We are still commanded to be bold in carrying out the work He gives us to do. Discouragement, however, rears its ugly head every chance it gets and it is good to know verses of encouragement and also to lean on strengthening verses such as those by David, who was a brave, bold individual.

On 8/15/2017 at 4:24 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

In Haggai 2:1-5 the command the Lord gives to Joshua the high priest is "be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged".

The assurance he gives to the high priest is that "I am with you and God is with him wherever he may go".

I would implement these commands as being directly from God, do not be discouraged but instead be strong for He is with me at all times.

Q3. (Haggai 2:1-5) 
Discouragement is a common experience. 
What command does God give Joshua the high priest? 
What assurance does He give? 
To deal with your own times of discouragement, what would God's command and assurance be for you? 
How would you implement them?

The message given to Joshua and the others, was a call to reject despair and a feeling of hopelessness. God tells them to be strong and courageous and then to do the necessary work.
At the same time giving them the assurance that He will be with them. I think God would give me the same command and assurance if I was in a situation of despair. God would be telling me to be strong and of good courage, and that I must not be downhearted because He will never leave me nor forsake me. At the same time, I am not to fear because as promised the Holy Spirit will be there as well, guiding me and giving me the power to get things done. Knowing that God will be with me is the only motivation anyone needs. I would be able to move mountains! 

God commands Joshua to be strong and courageous, to not be afraid, to not dismay or be discouraged : Reassuring Joshua that He(Jehova God) would be with him wherever he went.

I believe this command is relevant today as it was then. God has not changed nor will He ever. He promises to be with us until the end of the world. Jesus said that in this world we will have tribulations, but to take heart, for He has overcomed the world! Jesus told his disciples that He would not leave us as orphans. One day He will come for us. In the meantime He would send us a Helper( The Holy Spirit) to guide us and remind us of all He the things He had said. "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you". John 14:26

Jesus' words of assurance encourages me to continue  the good fight of the faith. To be anchored in Christ. For God has given us a spirit of power, love, and self control, therefore I press forward towards the finish line.

We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but NOT FORSAKEN...2 cor. 4:8-10

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Screenshot_2017-09-23-07-21-34-1.png.ff26830a87b246150f5bae7a92424d02.png

God lets Joshua, Zerubbabel and the people of the land and work know HE is with them and to not fear.  They are not alone in their efforts. 

For me [to not focus on discouragement], it is important that I keep my thoughts and actions totally focused on the things of God.  I am aware that haSatan wants me to keep God's children off task and discouraged. We must keep worldliness at bay.  

Listening to Scriptures daily for several hours helps to keep me disciplined and focused on the kingdom of God.  Bible studies also helps me.  

Q3. (Haggai 2:1-5) Discouragement is a common experience. What command does God give Joshua the high priest?

Answer: God told Joshua to be strong.

What assurance does he give?

Answer: God promised that He will be with them wherever they go.

To deal with your own times of discouragement, what would God’s command and assurance be for you?

Answer: Just like the assurance He gave Joshua long time ago, God is always telling me that He is always with me whatever I do & wherever I go.

How would you implement them?

Answer: By always seeking God in my life, by focusing on Him and not entertaining the works of evil in my daily Christian life.

Q3. (Haggai 2:1-5)

Q. Discouragement is a common experience. What command does God give Joshua the high priest? What assurance does he give?

A. Be strong, I am with you so get up and work. In other words, he and the people should not be discouraged because He would be there to solve their problems.

Q.  To deal with your own times of discouragement, what would God's command and assurance be for you? How would you implement them?

A. Be strong my son, work for the Lord God Almighty and do not  be timid or discouraged because I am with you to help you. 

I will arise and go to work for the Lord.

Q3. (Haggai 2:1-5) Discouragement is a common experience. What command does God give Joshua the high priest? What assurance does he give? To deal with your own times of discouragement, what would God's command and assurance be for you? How would you implement them?

1. Be strong, work, and courageous.

2. The assurance that he is with him.

3. Continue to believe and trust me, but know that you can do anything through Christ who strengthens you.

4. I will believe and trust that I can do whatever God tells and want me to do.

Haggai 2.4 ; God command for Joshua that he must be strong and work, because God with him.

So I believe God commands us to "be strong and work," to take courage and not to fear. And to realize that God is with us.

Courage and obedience are the earmarks of a disciple (Haggai 2:1-5).

• 2 weeks later...

When Joshua and Zerubbabel not to get discouraged, because in this world when we try to do Gods work there will be enemies of Gods work working against it to stop we should realize  this,  Here for rebuilding the temple the God Himself is intervening and says,    "But now be strong, O Zerubbabel,' declares the LORD. 'Be strong, O Joshua son of Jehozadak, the high priest. Be strong, all you people of the land,' declares the LORD, 'and work. For I am with you,' declares the LORD Almighty." (Haggai 2:4)

In our lives also God says not to get discouraged to His work because his assurance is that "I am with you", we should take this assurance and apply in our lives, as for me I would like to humble myself and take courage to what He commands obediently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 2:24 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Discouragement is a common experience.  When Joshua was about to take the helm and lead God's people into the Promised Land God give Joshua the high priest this command, "Be strong and of a good courage."  God then gave him this assurance, "As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you."   Joshua saw how God dealt with Moses and now knows that God will do the same with him, as leader. To deal with my own times of discouragement,  God’s command and assurance for me is always, "I am with you always, even to the end of the age."  This command and assurance I must keep firmly rooted in my heart, in my spirit; knowing that God is indeed FAITHFUL and will do as He said He will.

• 4 weeks later...

"be strong and courageous "; 

I will be with you

In my own case it has been ok (know God is with me even when all "empirical evidence" points against it e.g sure not a candidate for poster boy prosperity gospel); the be strong and courageous was more difficult in company of others, most specifically own family especially daughter and mother-lost one (so far) and other was certainly very strained until her own "re-building of the temple" when she had to confront her own Way of the Cross leading to her physical death but"joyful" passing.

had,still have, a difficult times staying charitable-too much Irish and/or hockey in my blood; (see previous responses) 

God commands Joshua to take courage and don't be afraid because God's spirit remains among them.  So get to work.  

In my times of discouragement I place my trust in God.  As St. Teresa of Avila (1515-1582) wrote:

Let nothing disturb you;

Let nothing frighten you;

All things are passing:  God never changes.

Patience obtains all things.

Whoever has God lacks nothing;

God alone suffices.

My life is rooted in this reality.

Discouragement is a common experience. What command does God give Joshua the high priest?

Be strong O Joshua and work, for he is with them. He assured that his spirit remains among them. “Don not fear”. God spoke to Zerubbabel, to Joshua and to all the people of Israel.

What assurance does he give? He assures that his spirit will remain among them. Therefore, they should be strong. “Don not be terrified, do not be discouraged, the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

To deal with your own times of discouragement, what would God's command and assurance be for you? God’s assurance would be that “Be still and know that I am God.” My spirit is with you always. God assures by his provision. Encouraging words from the Lord God Almighty. As he encouraged them “Be strong and work.”

How would you implement them? By being strong, courageous and then to work while trusting him to give us strength to do it. “Whatever God gives us to do, is possible when he is with us.”

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Q3. (Haggai 2:1-5) Discouragement is a common experience. What command does God give Joshua the high priest? "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9)

What assurance does he give? The assurance that He is with him.

To deal with your own times of discouragement, what would God's command and assurance be for you? Most of the time I hear the Lord say to me “be still and know that I am God”

How would you implement them? By calling out to Him throughout the day, reading His word and listening to the Youtube messages of the precise message that the Lord leads me to.