JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Zechariah 4:1-10) Why do we so easily fall into the trap of trying to do God’s work with our own strength? What does it mean, “Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit”? How might you apply this truth to your life?

1. I think it starts with early childhood training to take responsibility for ourselves and our work, and to have a good work ethic we are to work hard. (All of that good and necessary for development into responsible adults) But it can become a matter of pride and that "can-do" spirit that we are strong or intelligent or self sufficient or ambitious or all of those which when carried into our Christian faith becomes a stumbling block of efforts in the  flesh producing "wood, hay and stubble" to be burned up in the Kingdom.

2 and 3.  To me it means when I surrender my efforts or assignments to Him, His Spirit supplies the might and power to accomplish kingdom purposes, I show up and participate and do what He asked for my part, and He gets the glory for the successful outcome and somehow in His grace a reward awaits me in Heaven for what He accomplished! Amazing! 

Just a note re: the flying banner: I remember a Christian television ministry sharing in amazement that after they launched a satellite to carry the gospel to the nations  they realized after the fact that the satellite had the exact same measurement as this flying scroll in the Bible. The Lord is always at work amazing us with His details.

We think we can do it ourselves in our own strength.

We can be mighty and powerful, but without God's Spirit, we're failures.  We are fighting a war in the spiritual domain.

I need to be praying much more and staying in His will at all times, and ask Him to do His work through me--admitting I cannot do it by myself.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Zechariah 4:1-10) Why do we so easily fall into the trap of trying to do God’s work with our own strength? What does it mean, “Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit”? How might you apply this truth to your life?

We easily fall into the trap of trying to do God's work with our own strength because we feel God is moving too slow.  Many occasions, we feel that we are knowledgeable, strong or tough enough to get the job done ourselves.  "Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit" means that we do not have the strength or power to outdo God.  It is only through God's Spirit that things are accomplished.  We must learn not to trust in our own strength, but have the faith to depend on the might and power of the Spirit.

It is in our worldly nature to just do things without thinking to rely upon God. As we mature in Christ we start to notice the things that we should rely upon God with. Which is all our worries, no matter how small we think the matter is. 

It is so easy for us to fall back on our own strength when we should be relying upon the Holy Spirit to guide us. He is in direct contact with the Father. We should heed to His voice.

We should be still at moments when we feel the Holy Spirit trying to guide us. We should not ignore these times. It is hard to tell someone how easy it is to miss these nudges because of our carnality. We let the world influence us when we do not realize it.

Q4. (Zechariah 4:1-10) 
Why do we so easily fall into the trap of trying to do God's work with our own strength? 
What does it mean, "Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit"? 
How might you apply this truth to your life?

Perhaps it’s because the world is so real, and to achieve anything, we must be tough, strong, and ruthless. We rely solely on our human resources, human wisdom, and human strength to accomplish our goals. We only see the mighty and powerful forces available to us, and this blinds us to the fact that as Christians we walk by faith, not by sight. When in fact behind all this visible world, there is a great Spiritual Power available to us. God says "Not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit." It is only through God's Spirit that anything of lasting value is accomplished. As we live for God, we must depend on God and work in the power of His Spirit, and not to trust in our own strength or abilities. Trust Him and acknowledge Him in everything we do!

Q4. (Zechariah 4:1-10) Why do we so easily fall into the trap of trying to do God's work with our own strength? What does it mean, "Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit"? How might you apply this truth to your life?

It is possible to get so caught up in doing God’s work that, I think we fail to remember why we’re even doing the task at hand and slip into becoming prideful of what we’re doing, accepting all the glory for what is getting done. Possibly this comes about because of human nature which tells us that we can do anything we put our minds to (building the Tower of Babel?). But by my spirit, now that is taking the proper attitude, letting God handle the details, that is, consulting God every step of the, constantly in prayer (even while working), being in His word when something comes to question and listening to what He has to say at such times. I could apply this to my life simply by looking back at all the incomplete things I have done, things left incomplete for no good reason, and ask God if any of those things are important, can any of them be used for His glory and if so, lead the way for me. Sometimes I wonder at a couple of things I did half way and stopped, if it just wasn’t Satan who somehow meddled into what I was doing and brought the tent down on me, or were they just things I need to forget about.

We so easily fall into the trap of using our own strength mainly because of lack of patience. Christians of nowadays want to magically see things happen instantly especially with the gospel of prosperity that's now being preached in this world.

Not by might nor power but by spirit means that rather than use our personal strength or think you can sorely do it by yourself, we ought to ask the help of the holy spirit within us. Remember before Jesus went to heaven, he told us that he would leave us with an advocate, a helper and comforter that will help us and give us strength in our lives which is the holy spirit. Furthermore, Peter when confronted by the mass denied Jesus three times but that same Peter when he received the Holy Spirit went out to preach the good news even with having a price tag on his head and eventually died because of his faith. With the Spirit he was no longer afraid. Similarly, we ought to use the spirit within us.

I can apply this truth in my life by being patient even on God's response. On the other hand, it's so easy to say that i will forgive, i will help and i will have faith just to mention a few, but now when the day of practise or testing comes, i pray and ask God to help me through his spirit the discipline to be faithful to his word and cause so that i don't fall down.

I think that the reason that we fall into the trap of trying to do God’s work with our own strength is because first of all we think that we know more. We think that we have got all the answers. The meaning of “not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit” means we should go to God to direct us in our efforts. We can apply this truth to our lives by slowing down and listening to God.

On 8/16/2017 at 7:30 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4i. We easily get engrossed in what we're doing or our problems and disassociate from God, falling into the habit of seeking to undertake a task or solve a problems with our own resources, forgetting about the Holy Spirit, the kingdom of God within and around us in the spiritual realm. "Call to me and I will answer and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." Jer 33:3

Q4ii. It’s not by our might, nor by our power, but by God’s Holy Spirit. We need to surrender all control to God’s Spirit, trusting in the fact that God is able, He knows what’s best for us, and He is the one who does it. Acknowledge that it’s not by our own might or power, and that all power belongs to God; that God is truly the Lord of our lives, and King and Master in all our affairs. God is an almighty God and He is worthy to be trusted.

Q4iii. We need to remember to be still in each action in our day, especially in starting an action, and acknowledging God. Being still we are ready and in reverence of an almighty everpresent God, who can work in every situation or circumstance in our life - no matter how big or how small.

Q4. (Zechariah 4:1-10)

Q. Why do we so easily fall into the trap of trying to do God's work with our own strength?

A. We wrongly think we can achieve the desired end this not true. We can only do so with the power of the Lord God Almighty.

Q. What does it mean, "Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit"?

A. It means that success depends on the enablement God provides through His Spirit.

Q. How might you apply this truth to your life?

A. By asking God to be my partner in every project and to help me on what needs to be done and how/ when it should be done

Q4. (Zechariah 4:1-10) Why do we so easily fall into the trap of trying to do God’s work with our own strength?

Answer: Because Christian of our day lack patience, when God makes them wait or test our perseverance we tend to be frustrated and with that we forgot that God is in control and we result into immediate accomplishment of Gods task to us using our own skills, knowledge & strength.

What does it mean, “Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit”?

Answer: It means not by our human strength & knowledge but thru Gods divine intervention.

How might you apply this truth to your life?

Answer: By waiting on Gods timing, by asking God for direction and wisdom to do His will & not my will, in His time and not on my time.

Q4. (Zechariah 4:1-10) Why do we so easily fall into the trap of trying to do God's work with our own strength? What does it mean, "Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit"? How might you apply this truth to your life?

1. Because we do not listen to discern what God is saying and doing, and then cooperate with that, but we force things to happen by our own will and efforts. 

2. God is always with us and will give us strength to do whatever is needed. We must depend on him.

3. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. We must listen and obey him.

we try to use our own strength because we do not trust God enough to let him lead us and support us in our work in developing his kingdom.

the God is Spirit and as such it is by his spirit that he enables us to do our work. The power of the spirit is different than the power of the world. Paul writes  that the weakness of God is stronger than our strength. To us this is a paradox but it is the word of God. when we run into trouble and doing God's work we need to put our faith into the paradoxical  Lord who is Spirit and  truth.

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1.  We fall into the of trying to do God's work because we are a stubborn and controlling people.

2.  It meant that sheer human strength and physicality would not be sufficient to complete the task of rebuilding the temple.  God's Holy Spirit would need to intervene to accomplish the task.  

3.  I would also have to count on my Heavenly Father to help me accomplish my tasks. 

From my experience sometimes fall into the trap to do God’s work because I believe Him but not enoug Holy Spirit in my life. So Iam happy in Bible Study to learn voice of God everyday.

I believe one day He makes me glory in His kingdom.

We very easily fall into the trap of trying to do God's work with our own strength, because when God delays for the right time to fulfill we are in a hurry to do it ourselves with our own strength, don't be deceived be lead by Holy Spirit.

It is not by our might nor with our power but its all by the Holy Spirit, we should completely depend on our God who will lead us by His strength and His mighty Power, so try to depend on Him not in yourself, our God is Almighty God.

I will try to apply this truth by depending on His strength which is mightier then any strength in this world, to be patient and wait upon the Holy spirit to fulfill.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We so easily fall into the trap of trying to do God’s work with our own strength because we think we can do the work on our own.  “Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit” tells us that it is by the Spirit of God the work will be done.  This truth should be  consciously a priority in my life, so that in all things I will give it over to God.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 4:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because we are human we easily fall into the trap of doing things our way instead of the Lord's way.

Zechariah 4:1-10 means that through our own human power we fail at doing the Lord's will as he wants it. if we will be still and let the Lord do things through his spirit we will accomplish his task.

As above we get carried away doing the Lord's work. We usually end up trying to do it according to our own imagination or our own ways of doing things. The lesson here is to let the Lord guide our lives in his work instead of our human ways getting involved.   

• 3 weeks later...

Why do we so easily fall into the trap of trying to do God's work with our own strength? We get discourages when things are not working our way, our attitude fails us. We do this by telling ourselves that we never could have done it anyway. We tend to become impatient and despiseful. Ehen we are attacked by the enemy. Also listening to fall voices of discouragement.

What does it mean, "Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit"? Things do not happen by human’s doing but God’s mighty power and strength. Not by the might of a human being but by the power of the spirit of our Lord God. It takes the spirit of God to make things possible.

God chooses anointed men and women to build his kingdom. Not perfect men and women, but those who will stand as channels of his anointing, his spirit and his power (Zechariah 4:1-14).

How might you apply this truth to your life? Can apply this by leaving everything to God, allowing him to take control of all our actions and desires. We should not despise anything. i.e. must not be discouraged by “the day of small things” Rather, we trust God to increase what he has began. Zechariah 4:

We are encouraged not to despise small things.

God’s work does not need man’s power and might, rather it requires people of faith who will rely on the mighty and power of the spirit (Zechariah 4:6-7)

Anointed to serve the Lord of all the earth.

The way to God begins with repentance – away from evil and towards God. Otherwise, the consequences of our sin will overtake us (Zechariah 1:3-6)

as they say in real-estate "location, location, location" and despite our good intentions (we think "good" intentions) I still want to be the commander/general and don't really serve.  Even when it is right intention, I can "spring into action" again trusting in myself, the "inspiration" that must have been the Holy Spirit (but not wait long enough for verification/authentication) and the means or approach is maybe done right BUT not the right thing to do (God's plan) and even when both of these are in-line, our whole up-bringing, experience in just about all facets of "life" look for results, and comparables and rewards and recognition, reputation, a chance to play in the "bigshow" etc--in fewer words still ME oriented, directed

so tough to trust "the process" and not re-adjust, change, panic at symptoms or even results occurring--Jesus's question when He returns, "Will i find any Faith..." is a grim reminder of just how meager my faith is

the application to my life is to start the day,frequently throughout the day and especially at nigh during the "replay review"to keep saying Jesus aI trust in You, please expand my trust.

• 2 weeks later...

Our ego leads us into the trap of trying to do God's work in our own strength.  We often don't trust or know how to trust God in enabling us to carry out our assignments.

• 1 year later...

I pray I could answer that question, then maybe that would keep me from falling again.
“Not by might, not by power, but by My Spirit”   Only through the Spirit of God that we can do the work God commanded, only by God’s grace. But we must follow the Lord and obey Him.
By doing just that obeying and following the Lord.

• 1 year later...

We can easily fall into the trap of trying to do God’s work in our own strength because we are brought up to be independent and resourceful. I think we so often approach our work without enough prayer and consciousness of God’s presence with us. We therefore rush into what we are doing with asking God for His help, strength, leading and guiding. For me it is often when I realise it’s not going the way it should be, that I remember I have not spent time in prayer about whatever I am doing.

“Not by might, not by power but by my spirit “ says the Lord, means that things in our lives are not accomplished by our own efforts but by  the presence of the Holy Spirit being with us and helping us. In my own life I find this comforting that I can depend on the Holy Spirits help in every situation. I don’t have to face things in my own strength but in the strength of the Holy Spirit.