JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Gentle but Fearless Witness

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q.2. 3:15-16

1. Our "human" nature wants to focus on "getting even" rather than keeping our focus on Christ.

2. To repay evil with evil rather than with goodness.

3. Be ready to give an answer....to be looking and listening for what God the Holy Spirit gives me to say, and then to say what is given me.

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

There are two ways of looking at being a witness. Witness as a verb where we actively in word and deed proclaim Christ in the face of opposition, and witness as a noun where we exhibit godly character and patiently endure persecution with serenity and equanimity. 1) Knowing if we are to wade into the serpent's pit that evil will be enflamed fear is sure to come upon us. Fear of retribution and loss. Perhaps fear of physical harm. Certainly our insecurities are magnified and will be a fulcrum to be used against us. Insecurity in Christ and embarrassment when mocked and scorned. Our spiritual immaturity causes us to be self-centred and hence attempt to do the job in our own strength (much like Moses and the Egyptian) It causes us to confront opposition in the same spirit that it is given rather that in the opposite spirit in obedience to God. Matthew 10:19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 2) The noun. When Christ was reviled He answered not again. Love is not made perfect if there is fear. Instead of enduring all things and allowing slights to go unnoticed, resentment is generated, we incur hurt and anger. We lose our joy because we go into a defensive mode and turn inward. Instead of casting ourselves upon the care of God we panic.

If it is in our heart it will come out. Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. We can suppress it and hold it down for a time but you can be sure there will come a time when it will come out. We are told to mortify the things of the flesh and put no confidence it the arm of the flesh. Although Jesus was incarnate God, still He made Himself nothing and relied nothing upon HIs own abilities. Paul was the same Philippians 3:7-8 that anything that he thought was a strength he could rely on he cast it away so He could see God's providence, and he did in spades! In the fire the dross will rise to the top and it can be ugly. Our true nature is seen.

For me, I feel that focusing upon Christ rather than my fears is most needed.

Being a witness while being persecuted takes more courage than many of us have.

Short tempers such as I have can be hard to control and the result can oft times be wrong, losing ones temper is never right.

Remember that Christ told us to be witnesses of him and not the evil that is in the world.

It is easier to choose the path of following the others. We don't want to stand out from the crowd. I have to work on all four as I have much to learn and understand.Perhaps what I am trying to achieve is to stand firm to what I believe and not to lower myself to lesser ideals but rather to bring others up to my understanding of God's love. Keeping a clear conscience is probably the one most needed in my situation.

It's hard when people state specifically they don't want to hear anything religious, especially family. Then you are limited to loving them. Often they'll ask a question or throw a remark, but won't allow you to respond or answer. However, the loving is important as it goes to build up your case (credibility).

It is easy to be exasperated and react instead of showing patience. Also, one can feel very isolated, eg in a work situation, and want to fit in with the others. Basically you have to operate in what is best for the "enemy", pray for them and remain steadfast - "perfect and unblemished in love".

"Being able to give a reason for the hope that is in you" seems the most valuable thing to me, as it's when people lose something (health, hope, etc) that they will wonder if God is there, and may be more approachable.

Q2. (3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

We are fallen, sinful people. So, when others persecute us, we tend to lash out--as a first response! Or, we become so intimidated that we clam up and say nothing, for fear of being persecuted more harshly.

I have a daughter who turned her back on God when she was in college. She refused to listen to me, for she knew I believe in the Lord and wanted so desperately to bring her back to Him. She told me not to ever speak to her about God, not to touch her, not to tell her I love her! Her angry eyes told me she meant it when she said she would cut off any contact if I did not obey this edict!

How could I have any influence on her if no longer allowed near her, or even to see her? We continued to visit, although I could not talk with her--except comments on the weather! She spoke with her father, ignoring me. I did not respond in kind. She came to our house only when she wanted something from us. We helped her in every way possible, although she would not respond positively.

As the years went by, she slowly began to include me with her talking to us, but kept me at armlengths as she hugged her father. Sure it hurt, but I determined I would give her a Christian example and not respond in kind. Eventually, as she said goodbye one day, she hugged me as well as her father. I wish I could say that it then became possible to talk with her about the Lord, but so far, that has not been possible. I am still praying for that day. In the meantime, I continue to show love, even though not allowed to express it.

When we went in mission to the Far East of Russia for three years, she apparently began to fear we might die, for she began to correspond more frequently, and has continued to show more interest in being with us since we returned home.

Please pray that she comes back to the Lord--together with her two grown daughters who were raised to believe God and the Lord Jesus are "myths"--her word. I live for the day when she asks me to explain why and what I truly believe! :wub:

(3:15-16) Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted?

Sometimes I think we just don't trust God enough; do we fully believe that He is still in control of things, both good and bad? Persecution is hard for us to take, but we must not retaliate in a way that would harm our witness. We just have to remember that "Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world." Unless we believe that God will see us through a situation, we are already on the losing side.

Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness?

Because often times it's easier to go with the flow rather than take a stand for Christ. But when we stop to consider what He has done for us, giving His very life for us and giving us eternal life, we should always strive to be the best witness we can be, no matter what the circumstances.

Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

I think I need more boldness in sharing my testimony with others. I know what I want to say, but sometimes it doesn't come out the way it should. It is such a thrill to be a part of leading someone to Christ, and I pray that God will give me the confidence and the boldness that I need.

(By the way, I will be much in prayer for Helen Spaulding and her daughter, because I am sure that is such a heartbreaking situation).

Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted?

It is hard because when we are in a harmful or stressful situation our human nature

wants to protect us from any threat so we tend to be afraid to say anything about Christ.

Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness?

Many times it is easier for us to defend ourselves and try to get even with the persons causing the problems. We need to learn to rely on the Holy Spirit to led us in these situations so we can witness about Jesus and not have a fear of what people

may think.

Focus on Christ rather than your fears is the one that is key for me if I am focus on Christ than I can usually witness to anyone in a loving way but if I am focus on the

my fears or the problem than I have the tendecy to not witness as God wants me to do. :D

YOU HAVE BEEN ADDED TO MY LIST OF PEOPLE

THAT I PRAY FOR HELEN SPAULDING AND YOUR

DAUGHTER.

WE CANNOT PUSH ANYTHING DOWN THE THROTH

OF ANYONE MUCH LESS OUR FAMILIES, WE MUST

REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO JESUS IN JERUSALEM.

ENOUGH OF ADVISE, BUT IS JUST A LOVING RESPONSE.

ANSWER TO THE FIRST QUESTION.

WE LOSE FOCUS IN CHRIST JESUS AND WE FOCUS IN

OUR FINITE SELVES. WE DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY

SINCE WE HAVE BEEN DOING THE SAME THING OVER

AND OVER ALL OUR LIVES.

WE ARE FEAR BASED PEOPLE BECAUSE WE LIVE IN A

FEAR BASED SOCIETY. IT IS VERY HARD TO BREAK AWAY

FROM THE OLD MEN. IT TAKES LOTS OF DEEPEN INTO A

NEW CHARACTER. QUALITY CHARACTER THAT CAN BE

DEVELOPED BY THE SCRIPTURES, BY PRAYING AND

COMING TO BELIEVE THAT GOD CAN IF WE LET HIM.

HAVING HAD AN SPIRITUAL AWAKENING PUTS ME AN

A POSITION WHERE IT IS OBVIOUS TO LOOK AT MY

PAST AND SEE HOW I USED TO OPERATE. OFTEN

USED THE ANALOGY OF THE CHAMELEON.

FOR ME IS BEING READY TO GIVE AN ANSWER.

I STILL HAVE TO FIGHT OR WALK THROUGH THE

ENORMOUS INFERIORITY COMPLEX THAT PERMEATES

MY WHOLE NATURE. SOMETIMES MY THINKING GOES

THIS WAY. GOD IS NOT WORKING FAST ENOUGH ON ME

THEREFORE I STILL HAVE MANY CHARACTER DEFECTS

AND I AM NOT PREPARE TO GIVE THE RIGHT ANSWER

OR PERHAPS I SHALL SAY THE PERFECT ANSWER.

SEE I AM NOT THAT IMPORTANT, GOD RATHERS PAY

ATTENTION TO PEOPLE LIKE JOE, OR AL, OR PETE

EVERYONE EXCEPT ME.

HERE WE ARE GETTING HONEST AND HOPE

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

:P a). Many atime when we realise that taking a stand for our beliefs, under the circumstances is likely to put us in difficulties, we very cleverly avoid the situation instead of witnessing for Christ in a positive and humble manner. There are too many such occassions here in this permissive and liberal society.

B). " Be ready to give an answer" I get tongue tied.

When we are persecuted, fear will normally begin to set in, thus clouding our focus on Christ. Out of this fear that causes most of us to loose stand in our belief. Perhaps out of this fear also could cause us to blend easily into the circumstances that hence make us go along in the flow (ie. giving wrong kind of witness). For me, I need to firmly set my focus on Christ instead of my Fear. Also to be well prepared for an answer.

Persecution and other tough circumstances can bring out the worst in us. Often in moments like this, we fall back on our "old ways" or our sinful nature and emotion runs so high that we don't hear the Spirit redirecting us.

Personally, Peter's reminder to reply with gentleness is the hardest for me. My sinful self is very confrontational and often, even when I want and mean to be helpful, my tone conveys just the opposite. I need God's help even to open my mouth!

When we are being persecuted, we tend to focus on our own hardship, and tend to lash out at our tormenters, instead of living in the grace afforded us by the Father. When we get into a bind, we too often "lose our religion". We say and do things that do not give God any glory. Our witness then shows those around us that our faith is weak.

I personally must strive to always be more compassionate and gentle in my relationships with others. I am very often obstinate, stubborn and overbearing. I must tone down my responses to others. I must interact with others more as a servant than a boss. I must focus on HUMILITY! (humility with all caps-what does that say about me?)

We are afraid and want to justify why we serve Jesus. We need to be ready and this takes preparation ahead of time. In tough places it is easy to be the wrong kind of witness if we are not very careful. We maybe prone to do wrong for wrong, insult for insult, or maybe just lose it. I think, "Focus on Jesus rather than our Fears," is the most needed because we will forever have Jesus before us. If we keep our eyes on Jesus then our fears will not seem so large.

If we cast all our cares and fears on Jesus, He will sustain us when we are in these situation.

Why is it so hard for us to be a witness when we're persecuted? Why is it easy in tough places to be the wrong kind of witness? Which one of Peter's four instructions do you find most needed in your particular situation?

It is hard to be a witness during persecution because it seems we are on the losing side and our human nature wants to go with the crowd. It is not popular to be the persecuted one. Pride becomes a factor and carnal desires take over. It is easier to compromise our convictions than be persecuted for taking a stand. Fear is another factor although in the U.S. persecution has not yet taken the form of being life threatening, although it may come to that some day.

If we don't buckle under pressure we must be sure that we are dealing with our enemies in a Christ-like manner. Lashing out at our enemies or seeking revenge will not show the Love of God.

Gentleness is important to me and it is a fruit of the Spirit. I need this characteristic in all situations.

I would have to agree with the others who answered that fear is what makes it hard to witness when persecuted. And for me personally focusing on Christ rather than my fears is what I find most difficult. I tend to let the "what ifs" occupy my mind trying to work out all possible scenarios rather than just trusting God to see me through and give me the words.

Because our flesh takes over. It's hard to put on Christ in trying times, however, if we learn to obey and live like Him, when persecution comes, it would be a natural response. If we're not prepared and haven't learned to hear the Spirit, then we're still in the flesh. The flesh produces fear and flight responses. Our minds focus on our circumstances rather than Christ. Like Peter who started sinking when he took his eyes off Christ, we too must keep focused on Him. #2 Be ready to give an answer. I try to answer God related questions. I pray that the Holy Spirit works in their hearts and leads my tongue so the pearls aren't being thrown to swine. I don't feel as prepared as I should be when confronted with difficult questions concerning the bible. However, it is only the Holy Spirit that produces effective words. I must try to hear what the Holy Spirit is saying as well premeditate my words.

It is hard for us to be a witness when persecuted because even though our faith is strong we are still human and as human beings we tend to care what others think and feel about us. We should not be concerned what other people think or feel about us or say about us, we should hold fast and continue to serve and do the good works of God. He is the only one we are to please. It is easy to be the wrong kind of witness if we don't have strong faith. Everyday life is a struggle and when times get really hard, we lose faith because things seem to get worse in our eyes and minds. We plain just lose hope. All four instructions are needed in my situations.

Fear and stress are perhaps the main reasons we do not always witness well when we are being persecuted. We want to eliminate or minimize the pain (physical or emotional) that is often inflicted on the person who stands for the truth. Often, if we are in a tough spot, we respond in a way we shouldn't because the pressure of the moment does not allow us to think clearly or calmly - we operate impulsively and later regret it. My major problem is my tongue and my ability to give a sharp answer, not with gentleness.

:o Peter3:15-16

For myself I need the boldness to be able to speak,and speak with out stumbling words,and have the right words to aproach that person.I believe when you witness in tough places there is a time the Holy Spirit will move,and help you.I believe the Holy Spirit in us will direct us in what to do.Isaiah 40:31"Wait On The Lord. The Holy Spirit will teach us to be gentle and we should be respectful in speaking the word.You want them to see the love of Jesus in your speaking.You want to share Jesus with them,planting the seed of Harvest,leading that person to Jesus Christ.