JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Teaching Priests

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2017 at 3:46 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Malachi 2:1-9) In what ways do church pastors and teachers fall heir to the role of “teaching priests”?

In Old testament times, the priests were the teachers of the law.  In New Testament times pastors and teachers have the responsibility as leaders/Shepherds in the church to "rightly divide the Word of God"...which now is the teaching of Grace. (Jesus is the Person of Grace, who filled the Law and the Prophets,) and they are to encourage the sheep to  feed on the Word of God, rather than just being Sunday morning "consumers"

One of the first things I learned from an elderly Bible Scholar/teacher is to: Study to show yourselves approved....Personal study is where we learn the Bible ….whereas being "spoon fed" on Sunday mornings, rarely stays with us.

Which of the roles of teaching priests do you see as most vital in your situation?

That of being faithful to the truth of God's Word:  Never using it to manipulate or support personal gain or agenda, and never "beating the sheep" with the Word of God, but rather for teaching, training, encouraging, equipping and building up the sheep, who are the messengers of the Good News to those around us. Too many of the sheep sit in the pews soaking up what is fed them from the pulpit while believing the Pastor is the one who is to go spread the Gospel. Jesus told the disciples, the sheep, to go and spread the Gospel to the ends of the earth.

oops...pressed this by mistake.

The teaching priests not only teach the WHOLE WORD, but also live it daily.

The living it out in everyday life, and what my attitude is during those times.  Teach the whole Word and make it interesting to those I teach.

On 8/15/2017 at 6:46 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Malachi 2:1-9) In what ways do church pastors and teachers fall heir to the role of “teaching priests”?

They are called to offer true instruction, walk sincerely with God, turn people from sin, serve as messengers of God, and preserve knowledge.

Which of the roles of teaching priests do you see as most vital in your situation?

I see turn people from sin as most vital.  People look up to the pastor as an example of how they should live their life.  Living a life pleasing to God can encourage other to do the same.  Also, they must be mindful of their teaching.  They must teach what the word says and not what people want to hear.  

Priests are God’s disciples, responsible for spreading the Good News about the Lord to members of their congregation and to non-believers.

I think that ‘serving as messengers of God’ is most vital.  I think that priests, through their Sermons, Bible Classes, should spread the Good News of Christ. 

Q3. (Malachi 2:1-9) In what ways do church pastors and teachers fall heir to the role of “teaching priests”? Which of the roles of teaching priests do you see as most vital in your situation?

Church pastors and teachers have the same responsibilities and requirements as teaching priests in the Old Testament; Offering true instruction, Walking with God in peace and uprightness, Turning many from sin, Serving as messengers of Yahweh, Preserving and guarding knowledge.

In my situation, though all of the roles are considered vital, I believe that the role turning many from sin is most vital. People need to know that SIN separates us from the love of God, and only through faith in Christ Jesus, who died on the cross to redeem us from the death sentence that we deserved because of our sin, can our sins be forgiven and we can have peace with God. That we receive God's Spirit once we open our hearts to Jesus and He will lead us in all truth and righteousness and will help us in our daily walk with Jesus. This role sums up pretty much everything that I believe is very important and would like to hear in every sermon in our church. We can never stress enough how important it is to turn from our sins and follow Jesus.

I am tired of hearing sermons of prosperity. How we as children of God can  claim the promises of God and live abundantly here on earth. If we have a small house, we should not settle but ask God for a bigger house. If you have an old car, ask God for a newer one. Tired of people abusing the scripture vs;

The LORD will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the LORD your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom.

This verse has been misinterpreted and is allowing the spirit of covetousness to enter our lives.  We need the Spirit of Truth in our churches, as well.

Q3. (Malachi 2:1-9) 
In what ways do church pastors and teachers fall heir to the role of "teaching priests"? 

A true servant of the Lord must proclaim and teach the truth of God’s Word. All of it, irrespective if it is popular or not. They are to live lives that are in harmony with God, as taught in His Word – being a living example to others. They must be helping their congregation turning away from sin, and teaching them to follow Jesus as their example. Teachers are to remember that they are accountable for those they teach as well as themselves.
It calls for a total commitment to Jesus Christ – He must be Lord of every phase of their lives. I will always remember when one of our medical doctors, at the start of his first sermon, saying that standing here at the pulpit is more daunting than his first time in the operating theatre. He acknowledged that here he was dealing with people’s souls – their salvation! And to me, this is most vital role - save souls. People need to hear the gospel. 
This is done by firstly proclaiming important elements of the gospel. We read in Romans 10:14: “How can people have faith in the Lord and ask Him to save them, if they have never heard about Him? And how can they hear, unless someone tells them?” They must be aware of the facts concerning salvation. They must be taught who Jesus is and how He meets their needs for salvation. A good start would be a plan of salvation called “The Roman Road”, consisting of 5 verses from Romans. All people have sinned (Rom 3:23). The penalty for sin is death (Rom 6:23). Jesus Christ died to pay the penalty for their sins (Rom 5:8). Believe in their heart and say with their mouth that Christ is the risen Lord, they will be saved. (Rom 10:9-10). Accompanying this must be a decision to repent of their sins and come to Christ in faith, asking Him for forgiveness of sins.
What a responsibility! 

Q3. (Malachi 2:1-9)

Q. In what ways do church pastors and teachers fall heir to the role of "teaching priests"?

A. When they fail to instruct, follow the Lord, live godless lives that cause others to sin etc.

Q. Which of the roles of teaching priests do you see as most vital in your situation?

A. Living by example.

Q3. (Malachi 2:1-9) In what ways do church pastors and teachers fall heir to the role of "teaching priests"? Which of the roles of teaching priests do you see as most vital in your situation?

To tell & live the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. So often we see enough of the Word presented in such a way as to make the Christian life appear easy, but carefully omitting the whole story. Salvation is much more than a person saying “I accept Jesus as my savior” because it must come from the heart with repentance. Such a person rarely leaves the old lifestyle and like Jesus said—7 spirits return and find a nice clean house (to tear apart). People need to understand that they need to become involved in the Word of God like 2 Timothy 2:15 states. There is more to Christianity than simply saying “I’m a Christian and, yes, I know Jesus,” but, does Jesus know you? What a fear filled thing to hear when your name gets called and you’re already in the goat pen.

In my situation I think setting the example as the most vital at this point because I interact with a number of people and often find myself coming up short on this one.

Q3. (Malachi 2:1-9) In what ways do church pastors and teachers fall heir to the role of “teaching priests”? Which of the roles of teaching priests do you see as most vital in your situation?

pastors and teachers can become teaching priest by performing The Following duties-

1. Offering true instruction (verse 6a, 7b).
  2. Walking with God in peace and uprightness (verse 6b).
  3. Turning many from sin (verse 6c).
  4. Serving as messengers of Yahweh (verse 7b).
  5. Preserving and guarding knowledge (verse 7a).

offering instruction is probably my chief importance

• 3 years later...

Our present day pastors have inherited the same roles in the church as teaching priests .They are responsible for: giving true instruction, walking with God in righteousness and peace, to turn people away from their sin, to serve as messengers of God, and to guard and preserve knowledge so people will ask them to teach them.

Each area of responsibility is important but in this present time with the world becoming more and more secular and a resistance to the things of God present all the time, presenting the message of God in all its truth is vital. God’s wrath is as important to hear about as His deep love and compassion. No part of the Word should be avoided because people don’t want to hear it! Also important is the need to turn people away from sin. Many people don’t see the sin in being dishonest, or helping themselves to stuff at work or cheating on taxes etc. 
I am fortunate and blessed to belong to a church where we study all areas of God word and have had many challenging sermons on difficult subjects. Praise God!