JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2017 at 6:48 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Malachi 3:1-5) For what purpose is the Messenger sent to prepare the way?

The Messenger is sent to prepare the way for the Lord.  We know this Messenger to be John the Baptist.  We are given an opportunity to repent and to get our hearts and mind right to received the Lord. 

What will the Messenger of the Covenant do?

The Messenger of the Covenant, Jesus Christ, will come to call into account those that have broken His covenant.  Also, to bring salvation to the unsaved.

Why do God’s people need refining and deep cleaning? How do you sense God wants to refine and cleanse you?

We need refining and deep cleaning to cleanse us of the sin in our lives. 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

"Q1. (Malachi 3:1-5) For what purpose is the Messenger sent to prepare the way?

The messenger (fulfilled in John the Baptist) was sent to prepare the hearts for the coming of Messiah Jesus when He was ready to begin His ministry on earth. He was letting them know that the Messiah Who had been prophesied for hundreds of years in the scriptures was "in the wings" and coming suddenly to His temple. John was saying: "open your hearts to receive Him."

Jesus, Messiah is the Messenger of the covenant who came to fulfill the New Covenant of Grace (He's the Person of Grace) replacing the first or old Covenant of Law. The Law demands righteousness, which is impossible for fallen humanity,  whereas Grace supplies righteousness through His crucifixion, death and resurrection when received individually. John opened the way for Jesus, and Jesus opened the way for us to have eternal life with Him.

Why do God’s people need refining and deep cleaning?

When Adam fell in disobedience to God, all mankind fell with him, resulting in a sin nature separating us from a Holy God. The only way to "refine" or redeem the lost was for Jesus to become the perfect sinless sacrificial lamb. When once we are redeemed by His blood we are DEEP cleaned from all sin, past, present and future and now in right relationship with God.

How do you sense God wants to refine and cleanse you?

He actually said that to me yesterday:" I AM continually refining and renewing your mind and cleansing your heart." I love that He is actively "continuing the good work in me that He began, perfecting and bringing me into full completion" in Christ. (Phil 1:6)  So that "at that day, I will be like Him!"  How I love and praise Him!!!!!

For what purpose is the Messenger sent to prepare the way?

John the Baptist was sent to prepare the way for Jesus; to let people know the Messiah was coming to change their lives forever.

Jesus will fulfil his first mission on earth, to die for our sins that we may be redeemed and in relationship with God through His Holy Spirit. He will help refine us - through His wounds we are healed. 

Why do God's people need refining and deep cleaning?

To purify us from sin so we can offer pleasing worship to God. There is wonderful joy ahead. There is purpose in suffering.

Faith is more precious than gold. He is taking away the pain - making us more like Jesus.

It is an ongoing journey, coming from humbling ourselves before God in earnest prayer and worship. He responds in love, helping us to grow and become more like Jesus.

Q1. (Malachi 3:1-5)

Q. For what purpose is the Messenger sent to prepare the way?

A. Repentance  

Q. What will the Messenger of the Covenant do?

B. Repentance - both messengers are to preach repentance so as to save the people from impending judgement on coming of the Lord on judgment day.

Q. Why do God's people need refining and deep cleaning?

A. To save them from hell fire sequel to judgment and condemnation/conviction on the judgement day.

Q. How do you sense God wants to refine and cleanse you?

A. By the Spirit's conviction of sin and giving one no peace/ rest until the sin is confessed and led to repentance- turning away from sin to wards righteousness is accomplished

The purpose of the Messenger is to prepare the way by telling the people that they are sinning and that they need to repent of their sins. The Messenger of the Covenant will show us the way to righteousness. We need refining and deep cleaning because we keep running amuck. Unless we keep on our toes, we will let the world corrupt us. I think that the way that God wants to refine me and cleanse me is by keeping me studying the Bible and having pastors that is showing me the way.

Q1. (Malachi 3:1-5) For what purpose is the Messenger sent to prepare the way? What will the Messenger of the Covenant do? Why do God’s people need refining and deep cleaning? How do you sense God wants to refine and cleanse you?

John the Baptist fulfilled this prophecy. He was sent to prepare the hearts of the people; that they would repent of their sinful ways and get right with God.  

The Messenger of the Covenant is Jesus. He also would preach repentance of sin and the ways to righteousness. He will baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire. He will come in judgement as well: His winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his granary; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.

We need refining and deep cleansing to rid ourselves of all impurities in our lives and any hidden sins. God is Holy and without holiness we cannot see God. We want to present our bodies as a living sacrifice, acceptable, pleasing before God. 

We are refined when our faith is tested through diverse trials and tribulations: "And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore you, secure you, strengthen you, and establish you". 1 peter 5:10

The cleansing comes from the Word of God. This is the work of the Holy Spirit who brings conviction to our hearts. Jesus already washed our sins away, yet we live in a society that tends toward defilement and so we need daily cleansing. This is accomplished when we read the word, heed the word of God and live it. " Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word". psalm 119:9

Q1. (Malachi 3:1-5) 
For what purpose is the Messenger sent to prepare the way? 
Why do God's people need refining and deep cleaning? 

The first Messenger is sent to prepare the way morally before our Lord Jesus. We learn that this is John the Baptist, and his work was to call all to repent. The Second Messenger, the Messenger of the Covenant, is the Second Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ who will come to judge sin. He will come suddenly and unexpectedly “as a thief in the night” (2 Peter 3:10; 1 Thess 5:4) – bad news for the wicked when Jesus will punish all evildoers, but good news for believers. We all need refining and deep cleaning to be able to come into the presence of our Lord’s Holiness. As a sinner saved by grace, I continually need to be purified and have all my sins scrubbed away – God’s deep cleansing. 

The messenger is sent to prepare the peoples' hearts for repentance.

He announces the new covenant and His death on the cross completed the work--paying the wages of our sins= death.

God's people need that refining & deep cleansing daily because we are all sinners.

He keeps drawing me closer to Himself.  Sometimes it's a change of direction or choosing priorities......

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Malachi 3:1-5) For what purpose is the Messenger sent to prepare the way? What will the Messenger of the Covenant do? Why do God’s people need refining and deep cleaning? How do you sense God wants to refine and cleanse you?

To prepare the way   who will suddenly come to his temple. The Messenger of the Covenant will clean us  from our sin and come in to His temple in Judgment.

• 2 years later...

John the Baptist was the messenger send by God to prepare the way for the Messiah. His coming was foretold in the scriptures eg Malachi 3v1, Isaiah 40v3,and by John’s father Zechariah in Luke 1v76. John said of himself in John 1v23 “I am the voice of one calling in the desert, Make straight the way for the Lord.John’s message was also a message of repentance for without repentance there is no forgiveness of sin. A day of judgment is coming. 
The second messenger, the messenger of the Covenant is Jesus. He is the mediator of the new Covenant. Jesus fulfills the terms of the Covenant with His own precious blood on the cross. By doing this for us Jesus has given us the opportunity to repent and to follow Him as we follow He will refine us and make us as pure gold,  so we can dwell in eternity in His glorious presence.

As Christians we need cleansing and refining because we are sinful and not worthy of being in the presence of a Holy God. We cannot grasp just how Holy God is and how sinful we are, but He will refine us and hone us to be fit to be, by His grace in His presence.

I need to be refined daily as I am sinful ! Slowly I have seen changes but I can easily become complacent!