JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2017 at 3:50 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Malachi 3:6) Why should we rejoice that God doesn’t change?

I love that He is consistent. We always know we can depend on His character and there will be no surprises. (I had the misfortune of having parents who were consistently inconsistent! It was frightening to be punished severely for some little thing that we didn't know was wrong, then when we did something BIG, oftentimes it was ignored. It created great insecurity and fear. It all depended on what mood they were in at the time.) God poured out all of His wrath for sin on Jesus on the cross, so though He disciplines us with consequences when we need it, He is never in a "bad mood" toward His sons and daughters. His correction is never over reaction or anger. His love is consistently consistent! We can't do anything to make him love us more or less than the love He had for us the day we were born because He never changes.

We know that God’s character doesn’t change But if he is immutable, unchangeable, how can he answer our prayers?

I think the fact that He IS immutable is why He can answer. Answers are based on His intimate knowledge of us and the world around us, our needs as they fit in with His plans for us, and His foreknowledge and wisdom in what is best for us. If His character was always changing His answers would be based on His ups and downs and His moods. He's a good Father "Who knows best", never makes mistakes and loves us perfectly, so His answers are always right...even if the answer is "No" or "wait" when building faith and teaching us to be patient or to persevere. Unchanging doesn't mean He is rigid with only a plan A for us....he delights in delighting us with His answers. I've heard Him chuckle!

Does prayer have any effect?

Oh my goodness, Yes. I read a quote today about how important it is to not only remember His answers but to tell them to our children and grandchildren. Just for fun I started to write down answers. The first two He answered for an unbeliever. (I've heard people say God doesn't answer prayers of unbelievers) The first was "God if you're there, will you help me have this baby quickly and easily without a lot of pain?" (I'd watched too many old movies where the mother screamed or bit down on a stick during labor) Our nearly 9 lb baby was born in less than an hour with no pain to the Doctor and nurses shock! The next prayer was like the first "God if you're there will you provide a job for us with a comfortable income and normal hours so our baby will get to know her daddy" His hours were such that she was asleep when he was off work. Several months later we were moving to California for a wonderful job with a comfortable income and normal hours. This job removed us from the cult his family was involved in and put us in a neighborhood with a Christian woman who shared Christ with me.....on and on, thousands of answers. Some No and many wait's...but all of my prayers have been answered.  He's changing our nation and our world as a result of the millions of people praying to bring us back to our nations roots and Constitution and the rule of law...rather than the anarchy and godlessness of the slippery slope America was on....every prayer has an effect ..it either changes us or changes our world.

Another huge effect is that as we pray we enter into relationship with Him....it's one of the ways we get to know Him, and His character and faithfulness, and is how we reveal ourselves to Him, as we admit our dependence upon Him. Prayers of praise glorify Him and subjugate ourselves, which again is  building  relationship with our King and creator, as we take our place as His children. ( He is a "need" and sin Magnet! )

Q2. (Malachi 3:6)

Q. Why should we rejoice that God doesn't change?

A. Because if he changes, He would have destroyed us due our continuous  disobedience. But in his faithfulness, He bears with us and gives time to repent and be transformed

Q. We know that God's character doesn't change But if he is immutable, unchangeable, how can he answer our prayers

A. God is truly unchangeable. He answers our prayers based on His promises to us to call upon Him and He will answer and that if His people who are called by His Name will humble themselves and pray and turn from their wickedness He will hear and come and heal our land.

Q. Does prayer have any effect?

A. Prayers indeed have effect as the Lord God Almighty has compassion and love towards and waits in anticipation of our repentance as the father of the prodigal son waited for his strayed son's return and literally run to meet on way back home.

I rejoice that God doesn’t change because I know what to expect. If God changed can you imagine the way that the world would be today? With today’s society the world would be in chaos.  God can answer our prayers in accordance with his wisdom. This would be all in the will of God. Yes, our prayers have an effect. It draws us closer to God.

Q2. (Malachi 3:6) 
Why should we rejoice that God doesn't change? 
We know that God's character doesn't change but if he is immutable, unchangeable, how can He answer our prayers? 

Before creation God chose some people to be saved - the elect. This was not because of any foreseen merit in them, but solely an act of love on His part. This means that in the past eternity, God had decided upon this wonderful plan of salvation, to save guilty sinners through the sacrifice of His Only Son. He decided to offer eternal life to as many as would accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. This is enough reason for us to rejoice, knowing God keeps His promises, and does not change. We abide in Him, and no enemy shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus your Lord. As we read, God is unchanging in His being, perfections, purposes, and promises, however, He does respond to different changing situations. God is eternal and exists outside of the constraints of time, and since God is omniscient, He cannot learn something new that He did not already know. However, our actions cause change, things and circumstances change, but not God, and it is His response to His dealings with us that change. So, He answers pray, as we and our circumstances change. In Numbers 23:19 we read, “God is not human, that He should lie, not a human being, that He should change His mind. Does He speak and then not act? Does He promise and not fulfil?” F W Robertson wrote: “God is not affected by our mutability; our changes do not alter Him. When we are restless, He remains serene and calm; when we are low, selfish, mean, or dispirited, He is still the unalterable I Am. The same yesterday, today, and forever, in whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. What God is in Himself, not what we may chance to feel Him in this or that moment to be, that is our hope”. 

Q2. (Malachi 3:6) Why should we rejoice that God doesn’t change? We know that God’s character doesn’t change But if he is immutable, unchangeable, how can he answer our prayers? Does prayer have any effect? God's purpose is inmovable, His Word is sure, His promises are yea and amen. He can be trusted. On the other hand, we, ourselves are constantly changing depending on our circumstances, depending on our moods, emotions, trends, and so forth. We cannot be trusted. Yet, God remains the same faithful and merciful God. He keeps his promises and His covenants for His namesake not because we deserve any goodness from Him. If God would change like we do, we would had already been consumed. We rejoice because we have a loving Father; merciful, forgiving, and he showers us with blessings though we don't deserve it. We rejoice because He has promised us eternal life and we can look forward to being in His presence forever, one day.

The word of God says God hears our prayers, he is moved by our prayers, he responds to prayers, he changes his mind when people pray. (1 Chronicles 7:14) Immutability or unchangeableness does not mean inactivity, immobility, or idleness on the part of God. God is immutable in His essence, in His counsel and in his will. We pray in obedience to his command, that if we should ask according to His will, it will be done. If we seek His face He will deal mercifully with us.

If He doesn't change, what He says is true.  All His promises He will keep.  We can totally trust Him.

He answers our prayers yes, no, maybe or later.  When we pray in His will, we open ourselves to His direction--His desires become ours.  He doesn't change---WE change!!

Yes!  The prayer offered in faith will be answered!  He can and does work wonders even today!

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Malachi 3:6) Why should we rejoice that God doesn’t change? We know that God’s character doesn’t change But if he is immutable, unchangeable, how can he answer our prayers? Does prayer have any effect?

Because of His promises. Of Course He is our Power in holy Spirit when we pray.

• 2 weeks later...

Why should we rejoice that God doesn't change?

It strengthens our faith and security knowing that God doesn't change. What He created He saw as good and still does and always will. He saw in each of us something special, making each of us unique in His image. He is a loving Father and His love is everlasting and unchanging. We are blessed sons and daughters of the Most High and Holy God, by His grace, to His glory in heaven and earth.

We know that God's character doesn't change But if he is immutable, unchangeable, how can he answer our prayers?

God's character doesn't change. He is all knowing and He knows the plans He has for us. He answers our prayers in accordance with His will and plan for our lives. He wants us to call to Him, to ask Him our deepest needs, and He listens and answers in good time, often in ways we don't expect.

Absolutely. He especially hears our heartfelt cries. Here is only one story of mine.

My first child, Megan, was still born at 29 weeks. On the morning of that day my wife and I were excited to go to what was our second ultrasound for Megan. The lady doing the ultrasound was pretty quiet when doing the ultrasound and we were asked to wait afterwards. We were then told that they had arranged an appointment with our gynacologist across town. We never imagined that Megan was dead.

When we walked into our gynacologist's room, an hour after the ultrasound, he was holding the ultrasound film and proceeded to show us that our baby had died and my wife would probably never be able to have a child because of a mis-shapen uterus. My wife had to wait 3 days after that to be induced, knowing our child was dead in her womb.

Our pastors visited us in hospital on a Sunday morning the day after the birth and prayed with us, especially that my wife's 'nest' would be restored. That morning the whole church prayed for us.

A few days later when the gynacologist did a curette to scrape my wife's womb and he couldn't understand what he felt in doing this - the womb had been restored.

A little over a year later Matthew was born ('a gift from God). Some weeks later my wife and I went out the front of that church with Matthew in my arms to share this story and I thanked them for their prayers and thanked God for His mercy and blessings toward us.

We later had two healthy daughters :) 

Yes, prayers do have an affect!

• 2 years later...

If God was changeable we wouldn’t be here because our sins would have caused God to punish us, but because of His word to Moses Abraham and Jacob He remains the same. If God was changeable our lives asChristians would be very different,  we wouldn’t know for sure if our sins were forgiven, we wouldn’t know if we would get to heaven, we would have no assurance of anything because God might change His mind. 
God loves to hear us pray and if we come to Him and pray in His will ,and with the right attitude He will answer our prayers, not always as we desire but in the best way for our good. This doesn’t mean that we is changeable, His character and essence stay the same.