JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Jesus' Prayer Pattern

To help you internalize and apply what you are learning from this study, I have included several Discussion Questions in each lesson. These are designed to help you think about and ponder the most important points. Don't skip these. It is best to write out your answers, whether you post them or not. However, you can post your answers – and read what others have written – by going to the online forum by clicking on the URL below each question. (Before you can post your answer the first time, you will need to register. You can find instructions at http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/instructions.htm

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) Why? Do you have a Quiet Time? What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greetings Pastor Ralph,

The pattern which emerges in Jesus' prayer life was to start His day with quiet time and prayer. He spends quiet time before the day begins so he can hear from God for guidance for his day. It allows him to tap into God's will so it can be fulfilled through him.

The disciples desired that he busy himself in ministry and make himself available to the people because they believed he would get ,more done. My quiet times are not consistent in particular on days when i have to rush out. Need to set my alarm a bit earlier. At night i should resist working until i am too tired to assimilate what i have read and often fall asleep praying. 

If Jesus was God why He had to withdraw and pray? I think He was also a son of man, a human being subject to laws, physical and emotional limitations on earth. He might be overwhelmed by pressing human needs and constant noise. By reading this portion one thing struck me that Jesus preached, healed and cast out demons everywhere he went. Probably it was quiet and beautiful place in Nazareth and Judea at that time but when Jesus started to preach the truth and expose the evil, all the problems and a spiritual confrontation started to come out to the surface. Today when we go out and see nice roads, neighborhoods, nicely dressed people we may not realize that there is still a need for God's truth to be preached and demons to be cast out. I think Jesus is trying to teach us to be in prayer before engaging the world. 

I myself have three small kids and it is hard to find a quiet place at home. I have to go someplace to study and pray or I have to do that when everybody is sleeping. For this new year, I want to be intentional about finding a quiet place to spend time with God before going out to the world. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the good study and clear questions!

I believe Jesus took the time to meditate over his mission and the word of God (I believe he read the word in the synagogues). And from that, listening to what God wanted him to focus on during the day. The disciples wanted to "assist" the people in what they wanted most (healing) but Jesus seemed more focused on preaching the word to lost people. 

When I am caught up by the world and lose focus on listening and doing the will of God, I tend to run after other people's requests, and hence lack peace.

I believe it is possible to, if you are close to God in the word and prayer, in your heart and mind know what you should focus on. I want that focus.

What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?

He prays regularly and early in the day. He often withdrew to lonely places and prayed, yet at times He included His disciples.

Why do you think He spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

Early in the day, especially before dawn, is the quietest time of day when many others are asleep and there are generally no demands from others on His time. By paying early He can seek His Father’s guidance for the day ahead and ask for His protection and blessing for the day.

How does this prepare Him for His ministry?

Prayer early in the day means He is putting the Father first and seeking His guidance for the day. He likely commits His day to His ministry mission.

How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) Why?

It would seem that the disciples wanted Jesus to continue ministering to the people of Capernaum as He had done the day before that He should continue to heal the new crowds of sick people in town who are demanding His help.

Jesus ignores their demands and says: "Let us go somewhere else -- to the nearby villages -- so I can preach there also. That is why I have come" (vs. 38). No doubt, His decision to go and preach elsewhere was influenced by what He heard from His Father in prayer that morning.

Do you have a Quiet Time?

For 18 months, from February 2017 I regularly got up very early in the morning, often shortly after 3am to spend time studying the bible, in prayer and journaling. In recent months I haven’t been getting up as early, but I am spending more time in study and prayer with my wife. This corresponded to an important breakthrough in her life. Also, we had moved from a 3 bedroom home to a 1 bedroom apartment and I no longer had a study where I could go and not disturb my wife when I woke. It is an open plan and light easily disperses from the living area to our bedroom. About the same time I lost a study/prayer partner who I admired and looked up to and my wife and I stopped regularly attending a church – a difficult story.

My life and confidence has changed markedly since this change.

My times and duration of quiet time have therefore reduced, especially time alone. I no longer get up very early, but I believe it is for a season. I need to be patient and accept my new circumstances.

What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

I can seek agreement with my wife to get up a little earlier in the morning, as early in the morning is the best time to spend time with God in prayer. I trust in God that this will occur.

On 11/28/2017 at 12:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To help you internalize and apply what you are learning from this study, I have included several Discussion Questions in each lesson. These are designed to help you think about and ponder the most important points. Don't skip these. It is best to write out your answers, whether you post them or not. However, you can post your answers – and read what others have written – by going to the online forum by clicking on the URL below each question. (Before you can post your answer the first time, you will need to register. You can find instructions at http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/instructions.htm

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life?

Jesus starts his day off my meditating and praying to the Father.

Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

To give thanks for all that the Father has done and to as for his continue protection and guidance.

How does this prepare him for his ministry?

Receiving guidance from the Lord will give him what his next step should be in his ministry.

How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) Why?

The disciples are more concerned about Jesus popularity of healing the people than Jesus following the will of the Lord.  

Do you have a Quiet Time? What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

Yes, I do have Quiet Time.  I start my morning off by reading my Daily Word and then I go into prayer.  I can improve on taking more time to listen to what the Father has to say to me.  Sometime I rush thru my prayer and not wait to hear from the Father.

Jesus went out early in the morning to spend time with his Father and to get guidance for the day. He did not try to operate in his own strength- how much more do I need to listen to God to know how to go about my day. His disciples probably did not know what His mission was and was caught up in the excitement of the miracles and wanted to see more or maybe they saw the need of the people and knew that Jesus could help them. They could not understand why he was spending so much time in prayer and I think that is one of the reasons why He took them with him at times when He prayed. They saw the effect of Jesus' prayers and asked Jesus to teach them to pray also. 

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life? Consistency - it was important to pray often. Privacy - necessity of coming away from everyone  Amount of time - -He wasn't in a hurry

Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? To get guidance and to feel the Father's love and to show love in return

How does this prepare him for his ministry? He knew what the Father's will was for the work that needed to be done

How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do?  They wanted Him to get back out to the crowd, while Jesus NEEDED to have time with His Father

(Mark 1:37-38) Why? They had a different world view - not spiritual, but toward the kingdom of this world

Do you have a Quiet Time? Yes - every day in the morning I read my Bible and have a devotional program and prayer time.

What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day? I wish my prayer time wasn't so structured (with a list of family, neighbors, friends and ministries to pray for. I want a Father/daughter back and forth chat

Jesus prays upon arising....it is a new day and his mind and body are rested and receptive.  More importantly, before he steps out into the world for yet another day, he wants to hear what his Father has to say and he takes any concerns to his Father at that time as well.   Jesus seeks God's guidance before he goes about his day.  That is his biggest concern each morning when he opens his eyes..."what does my Father need me to know today?"  He prays before any other human has the ability to influence him in any way.  The disciples have an agenda to see Jesus perform "miracles" while Jesus wants to perform as his Father instructs even if it's contrary to what the disciples believe Jesus should do.  The disciples are tied to this world and in awe of Jesus while Jesus know he does nothing without God and the so called "miracles" are simply God at work.  Jesus does not take credit for what he allows God to do through him.  Jesus understands his mission and his role in allowing God to use him as necessary and daily asks for further clarification on his mission.

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?For Jesus prayer was the number one priority in His life. He wanted to be about His Father's business by starting each day with prayer early in the morning 

How does this prepare him for his ministry? It helped him realize what the Father wanted Him to do to daily by praying for it  

How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) The disciples were not of the spiritual realm like Jesus was. Jesus was from Heaven and not from earth at all. His father was not human like the disciples' father. So His priorities were different. 

Why?  Jesus was the Son of God. Do you have a Quiet Time? Yes but it is hard to keep. 

What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day? I could learn to spend more time waiting for His  voice to speak. 

What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?

Jesus prays in solitary places.  There are no disturbances and Jesus' time with God is quiet with one on one conversation.

Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

I think Jesus would discuss his plan for the day, ask for approval and guidance, and for God to give him strength day.

How does this prepare him for for his ministry?

He can go in faith and confidence that God is with him to guide him on his ministry.

How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? Why?

Jesus was led by God and followed God's plan rather than the disciples.

Do you have a Quiet Time?

I haven't before but will have it in the future.

What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

I am going to ge a designated space for my time with God

On 1/5/2018 at 12:43 AM, Shogird said:

If Jesus was God why He had to withdraw and pray? I think He was also a son of man, a human being subject to laws, physical and emotional limitations on earth. He might be overwhelmed by pressing human needs and constant noise. By reading this portion one thing struck me that Jesus preached, healed and cast out demons everywhere he went. Probably it was quiet and beautiful place in Nazareth and Judea at that time but when Jesus started to preach the truth and expose the evil, all the problems and a spiritual confrontation started to come out to the surface. Today when we go out and see nice roads, neighborhoods, nicely dressed people we may not realize that there is still a need for God's truth to be preached and demons to be cast out. I think Jesus is trying to teach us to be in prayer before engaging the world. 

I myself have three small kids and it is hard to find a quiet place at home. I have to go someplace to study and pray or I have to do that when everybody is sleeping. For this new year, I want to be intentional about finding a quiet place to spend time with God before going out to the world. 

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/profile/39509-shogird/ Shogrid, i loved how u talked about the fact that Jesus was also human & susceptible to our limits so that He too needed time to regroup, right! ur suggestion that His presence stirred up spiritual forces that recognized a real threat! may the good Lord give u wisdom, patience & space to meet w/ Him as frequently as possible! thx for ur insightful input on this question. gwen

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:55 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) Why? Do you have a Quiet Time? What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

1: Jesus was up before dawn, spending time alone with His Father in prayer, away from distractions before He began His day and being "about His Father's business".

2. Jesus was fully God and fully man....limiting Himself to dependence upon His Father for wisdom, guidance, knowledge, provision....for everything, just as we are if we're fully committed to Him.

3. Having been refreshed and renewed and fully surrendered to His Father's will before He began His day, enabled and prepared Him to face anything and everything that He would be facing.

4. The disciples were not born again and filled with the Holy Spirit until Pentecost, so their desires were limited and guided by their own insight and limits and what they felt pressure to attend to in the flesh.

5. Yes. I learned years ago that unless I spend the first few hours alone with Him, my day unravels and is spent in frustration without His preparation to face what comes. I have a special quiet place where I go every morning before others are up and about. I sit with Him with my cup of coffee and enjoy His Presence. I  also learned all those years ago that He desires an honest, vulnerable, no holds barred relationship with me...just like a healthy father daughter relationship should be. (I didn't have that with my earthly father so It's been a learning process. It's been precious to discover that I can express anger and frustration (in a respectful way) as well as every emotion which He's blessed us with). Recently I said "I'm angry Papa, that after all of the hundreds of prayers I've prayed asking You to motivate my husband to go to the doctor, it's come to this! (advanced basal cell skin cancer, neglected for years, that required major surgery.) I heard "I could have lit a fire under him at any point! This is My timing, trust Me."  (He is always right of course!!! This cancer treatment required him to be attached to a pump/vac machine 24/7 for over a month, after painful surgery, extensive nursing care at home, painful treatments for the 7" long 2"  deep open wound,  loss of dignity (wound is in his groin area), then back to the hospital with serious pneumonia for another stay 4 day stay. During the course of all of this, the Lord has been healing him on the inside...his inner man, which is a beautiful thing to behold and experience. The Lord "causing all things to work together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purposes, Rom 8:28, and v. 29: that we may be conformed to His image. (The gentleness, sweetness and gratitude expressed, the humility and words of praise, hearing "I love you" for the first time in 51 years are the answers to many years of seemingly unanswered prayers...coming all at once! What a Savior we love and worship!) His timing is always perfect!!!

6. The challenge for me if the days demands are pressing in,  is to remember to spend as much time listening as I do reading His word and my other devotions and talking,  so I can hear His heart for me and for my day before I get going.  I journal every day and write down what my concerns and prayers are and His thoughts and impressions and Rhema words are to me. I also write in my Bible, dates and notes when He speaks to me a promise or personal word re: the scripture I'm reading. My Bible has become a record of our relationship, many tear stains...... but such a joy to see the evidence of His faithfulness "in ink" on the pages.

Listening to God

Question 1: a. What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus prayer life? He always chose to go out early in the morning to pray and in a secluded place. He often spent a whole night in prayer.

b. Why do you think He spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? I think Jesus knew how important it was to stay in touch with His Father. He knew he needed to pour out His concerns and hear what God wanted Him to do. He knew that His power came from His Father. He knew that spending time alone with God would strengthen Him and prepare Him for what he needed to do or had to face. Jesus came to do the Father’s will not His own so He understood the importance of communicating with God.

c. How does this prepare Him for His ministry? It helps him to become stronger to resist the devil or distractions that come along. By listening to His Father He knows what is His main objective and what is more important. Yes, he is to heal but even before that Jesus is supposed to preach the good news of salvation to sinners. That is why He was born and why he died on the cross.

d. How did the disciple’s desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt compelled to do? He disciples wanted Him to keep on healing the sick, lame, blind, and demon possessed.  But Jesus main focus was on salvation and preaching the good news to people. They also thought like the crowds that He would save the Jews from the Romans; but that was not whey He had come. The disciples were not thinking in spiritual terms but physical ones. They did not understand who He really was at first or why He had come. They thought he would become their conqueror not Savior.

e. Do you have a Quiet Time? Yes

f. What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day? I could decide to only read a chapter a day or a few passages and focus on them. I could ask God to enlighten me and help me understand what He is saying. I could spend more time in praising Him first and in confessing my sins before petitions or requests. I find the longer I am away from others in the church the harder it is to really focus on Him. The more discouraged I get about my circumstances. I long to have that close relationship back again.

Edited by Lottie
I wanted to explain my trouble more so people would understand.

Jesus pray to His Father in the morning, like we should do because for me the '"manna" is in the morning alone with our Precious Lord.  In the morning, I need to have this solitary place ( ground ) where i can be with Him Alone (CONNECTION WITH MY PRECIOUS JESUS IN THE MORNING). Jesus here is teaching us ... do the things that MY Father is saying... by going out somewhere else with His disciples... In fact, , I think HE IS OBEYING TO GOD THE FATHER  and HE IS FOLLOWING  WHAT HIS FATHER IS SAYING TO HIM...  Here, Our Precious Lord is not focusing on his needs, but where the Father wants  him to go ... HIS FATHER DIRECTION.  HE is  TRUE SERVANT of His FATHER. Jesus do not let the WORLD stopping Him from listening to His Father direction.

On 1/5/2018 at 12:43 AM, Shogird said:

HI, Yes it would be difficult with the children. Can you wake 10 to 15 mins earlier and try it. That may help. Or use a down-time at night. Although it is after the day, think of it as preparing for the next day, reflecting on how God communicated with you that day and asking the Lord to  minister to your spirit , revealing His will while you rest at night.

Breaking the question into its various parts as my prior career as an engineer leads me to do.

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39)

a) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?

Alone or nearly alone and at the day's beginning or daybreak.

b.) do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

It is a time when he would be most likely to be undisturbed or uninterrupted.

c) How does this prepare him for his ministry?

Believe it puts Him in alignment with His Father's desires and His actions are in line with His Father's will.

d) How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38)

Like everyone else they wanted to see the 'show', the miracles, but Jesus was about His Father's business - preaching, spreading the Good News.

e) Why?

Jesus' time in prayer put Him in line with His Father's will, not the desires of His disciples.

f) Do you have a Quiet Time?

No. Not really or rather not frequently.

g) What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

Make time. Set aside time when I will not be interrupted or disturbed.

Listening for God as a Biblical Pattern (Mark 1:35; John 5:19) 

Question #1:

1a) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?   He had a need to break away from others for a time of private, intimate prayer before his day got started to refuel in the spirit and get directions for the day ahead of him. Though he was earthbound ( Son of man) He didn't forget who he was ( Son of God) and where He came from.  He knew His source was from God the Father. 

1b) Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?  He knew to seek God's face and to align his day with the Father's will and purpose.  He remembered that he came to fulfill the will of God.  All believers and servants of God, need to always pray daily; especially when on a special assignment.  

1c)  How does this prepare him for his ministry?  Praying should position one into a position of submission to God, thereby receiving what God would have us do by the leading of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus, not as a deity, also needed the Holy Spirit.

1d)  How did the disciple desire for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do?  (Mark 1:37-38) Why?  The disciples were led by there emotions; Jesus was led by the Holy Spirit and he was on assignment to preach the gospel not just that location but to other cities as well.  He knew the flow of people would be a continuous unending flow and that others needed to hear the kingdom message of the gospel too.

1e) Do you have a Quiet Time?  I had been consistent but it was with some other women at 6 am.  But since we stopped, I have not been rising up by 6 am to pray as I should.  I felt really good getting up and it made a difference.  Now I feel sluggishness and notice certain spiritual attacks.  

1f)  What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?   Repent, and remember God needs me to come to Him and seek Him every morning.  Remember He wants to commute with me and He loves me.  He wants a deeper relationship but I got to wanted it too.

What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? Consist prayer time.  Guidance from his Father.

Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?  It is almost like breakfast is the most important meal of the day Prayer time with God should be also like it was for Jesus.

How does this prepare him for his ministry?  It is like his focal point for guidance.

How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) Why? My belief is that that wanted to be with him at all times and totally did not understand his need for private times for prayer and the need to spread the Gospel.

Do you have a Quiet Time?  Yes, I try to get up early before the house awakens. 

What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day? I could be more consistent in my time with God.

10 hours ago, Peta-Gay said:

HI, Yes it would be difficult with the children. Can you wake 10 to 15 mins earlier and try it. That may help. Or use a down-time at night. Although it is after the day, think of it as preparing for the next day, reflecting on how God communicated with you that day and asking the Lord to  minister to your spirit , revealing His will while you rest at night.

Thank you for suggestions. I feel 10-15 minutes are not enough for me. I am easily distracted and I usually end up spending an hour or more. I like to analyze scriptures and read background information on them.

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? How did the disciple desires for Jesus differ from what Jesus felt impelled to do? (Mark 1:37-38) Why? Do you have a Quiet Time? What could you do to improve the quality of your time with God each day?

The pattern I’m seeing in Jesus’ prayer life is to get away from all the distractions the world has to offer, going into a “prayer closet”, so to speak. Spending time with the Father being the first accomplishment of the day is preparing for the accomplishments which must take place throughout the day. Of course, it is a preparation for ministry because He needed to get His “marching orders”, so to speak so that He could operate in a spirit-filled manner orchestrated by the Father. The disciples wanted Jesus to perform rather than spread the Word, but Jesus used healing in the lives of those who would believe to attract people to hear the word. Why, the disciples, used to living in the world at that point could not have understood the importance of the Word itself as at that point in history, it was mostly priests from the tribe of Levi being the ones who would have (or, is that “should have”) understood the importance of the written word. Yes, I have a quiet time and I look forward to it more than anything else these days. It doesn’t matter how late I stay up as I get up every morning almost like I had a built-in alarm clock and I’m out of bed, like it or not. It is at these times I present God with some of my hardest questions and sit back in the darkness and “listen”. Not a voice like someone sitting in the room with me but almost like it comes through me. I hear some of the best preaching ever even though, just like in a church service, I often have trouble staying awake. I could probably improve the quality of the time by getting to bed a little earlier, but even when I do I have trouble sleeping and I have one of those digital clocks that casts the numbers out onto the ceiling and it seems like I’m constantly checking it to see if its time yet. Often my wife wakes me on the couch when she gets up but even when I fall asleep at those times its like I can see something I can’t explain telling me what to do that day. Being obedient to what I hear would be a great improvement to my personal quiet time with God.

Jesus had quiet with His Father to be refreshed so He could preach, heal and drive out demons.

Quiet time serves as a praying AND listening time to learn what His Father desires.

The disciples were relying on what they wanted, while Jesus listened to the Father.

I do not have a scheduled time. I am a multi-tasker, which doesn’t go well with quiet time with God. In order to have quiet time, I am going to set a reminder on my phone at a pre-set, usually non-busy time. 

Focus first on a picture of Jesus in order to settle into my quiet time.

Jesus tends to wake up early in the morning  to have quite time with God because there no one can interrupt them and his heart listens to what god has to instruct him to do.  This prepares him to seek obedience and show the people that truth about our God.

The disciples desires from Jesus was to heal all those that came to be healed by him, but what Jesus was trying to teach the disciples was that through Prayer you can heal anyone.