JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Still Small Voice

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1Kings 17-19, he author contrasts the "still small voice" to the wind,earthquake and fire. This is done to establish the power of God through loud displays, yet the character of God to desire to seek communion with us on an intimate level through his "still small voice".

God's voice comforts and renews Elijah when he was fearful and exhausted, depressed and hopeless by giving him a new assignment and pointing him to a spiritual companion Elisha, who will share his sometime lonesome life with him and eventually succeed him.

It is easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet because the negative thoughts and issues are usually loud and grab our attention. We magnify the problem or our daily tasks, work, schedule because of demands and it drowns out that small voice. Our daily lifestyle is so media infused that our own thoughts become drowned out by loud images and sounds, that even a well written plan gets thwarted along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (1 Kings 17-19) Why do you think the author contrasts the "still small voice" to the wind, earthquake, and fire? How does God's voice comfort and renew Elijah? Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet?  We know that God is all-powerful, so we expect Him to approach with noise. The still small voice is so gentle and really shows God's love.

When God speaks with a mighty voice, loud and clear, there is not much doubt that God has spoken.  Then when God chooses to talk in His still small voice, we have to slow down and maybe even stop what we are doing, remove all distractions, clear our thoughts of all the business, friends & family.  Just like somethings given to us without costing us anything, there is little appreciation.  Time is more valuable then gold, and when we have to stop what we are doing then that is giving (or costing us much more then gold) all we have and the still small voice will be appreciated & remembered.  Plus you can't hear God's quiet voice when your talking and/or doing loud, busy things.  God's soft and gentle voice got Elijah's attention and from his reaction to God's voice it gave him confidence assurance everything was going to be alright, so he laid down and went to sleep.  

God help us all (me at the top of the list) to slow down more often in this world of nano second hyper speed of doing things and jamming our live so full of stuff.  When God said "knowledge would run away with it's self"; I think He also meant we would try to do 26 hours worth of stuff in a 24 hour period.

I  would think that the contrast is made in order to show us the sovereignty of God. He can speak in any way he chooses and he has given believers (and non-believer alike) the power to either listen to or ignore the wisdom in what he has to say to us.in that choice lies responsibility and truly committed Christians take their responsibilities to God seriously-it all depends on the quality of faith.

Why do you think the author contrasts the “still small voice” to the wind, earthquake, and fire?

God wants us to listen to him. God's quieter voice gets us to concentrate on what He is saying and us to block out what is going on around us so that we can listen to His direction.

How does God’s voice comfort and renew Elijah?

• Clarify direction
  • Point to a spiritual companion
  • Correct errors of thinking

Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet?

There are so many disturbances that surround us. (phones, televisions, minds wandering on things that need to be done, etc)  Concentrating on God's voice is difficult for me, although the nudges I seem to be getting better at.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:05 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1 Kings 17-19) Why do you think the author contrasts the “still small voice” to the wind, earthquake, and fire? How does God’s voice comfort and renew Elijah? Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet?

1. The wind, earthquake and fire are loud, insistent and difficult to miss! The still small voice is easy to ignore if we're not listening or expecting to hear it. The "chatter and noise" around us can drown it out!

2. The still small voice of God,  kind, gentle and loving, comforts Elijah because He hears acceptance and understanding of his exhaustion, depression and fear, rather than a rebuke which would have caused Elijah even more pain and distress.

3. We must  learn to listen for, hear and recognize His voice or He's apt to be ignored. 

I had an experience several years ago, while sitting alone in my car in the winter in an abandoned parking area of a local wilderness area, praying and journaling where I'd gone because it's peaceful and quiet. I was parked facing the beautiful wilderness where I often saw animals, with my back to the entrance. In the stillness I heard: "GO! NOW!"  It was "still and small" but URGENT! I put down my pen, started the car and drove around the circle to exit through the short bottleneck driveway which was the only way in or out. I passed a car which was entering just as I was leaving, and as I glanced at the mans face, I saw eyes of pure evil, causing the hair on the back of my neck to literally stand on end! I shivered, realizing the Lord had just rescued me from what only He knew was about to happen to me if I'd stayed. The man  could easily have blocked that narrow entrance and I'd have been trapped with no way to escape and no one within miles to hear me if I cried for help. How I thank and praise my Father for having taught me not only to listen for and to  hear his voice but to obey, or I might not be here to tell the story! 

Lesson 2

Question 1 a. Why do you think the author contrasts “the still small voice” to the wind, earthquake and fire? I think the author does that to show us that God does not always talk to His children in a booming voice or through earthly events. Sometimes He speaks to us through His Word or through His Spirit. And it might be in a voice only we can hear and He will wait till we are alone and without distractions. I also think that He does it that way so we do not become afraid of Him like the Israelites were and they chose not to go near the mountain. He wants us to have a relationship with Him and talk to us as a friend to friend like He did with Moses.

b. How does God’s voice comfort and renew Elijah? God comforts Him by telling Him that he is not alone. There are other faithful people still out there who have not bowed to Baal. He comforts him by coming to him softly and not scolding him for his fears. He shows great love and concern for him by having the angel give him food and water twice.

c. Why is it easy to miss God when His voice is gentle and quiet? Because sometimes we think it is our own thoughts and do not think it is Him. Sometimes we listen but do not pay attention to what He says. Or we are distracted by other things and ignore Him.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1 Kings 17-19) Why do you think the author contrasts the “still small voice” to the wind, earthquake, and fire? How does God’s voice comfort and renew Elijah? Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet?

Father God responds to us in the way we need. Elijah had already experienced God's power attributes. Here he needed rest, quiet and peaceful recovery of physical and spiritual strength, as well as reassurance that he was on the "right path," i.e. God's plan. God knew Elijah was now paying attention to Him. He spoke the way that would accomplish what both of them needed to advance His plan: quiet, intimate communication - and information. What the Lord said gave Elijah the information he was going to need when he returned to the scene of the battle: you're not the only one left. There were indeed many other faithful ones, the school of the prophets indicates that fact, and Elijah needed to remember and acknowledge that. Some believers may not be paying attention considering the distractions of their personal battles, i.e. family, work, health, many busy activities, but God will speak to us the way we need just as he did to Elijah. He may first remind us of his power attributes / our past victories to refocus our attention, using wind, earthquake and fire as he did with Elijah. But He has a plan for us, both in our personal lives and for using us to advance his kingdom. I believe He is more interested in getting through to us than we are.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (1 Kings 17-19) Why do you think the author contrasts the “still small voice” to the wind, earthquake, and fi

The author wanted us to know that God's presence is best conveyed in personal communication with his servants, not in some showy, spectacular display of power. The essence of God's nature is not power -- though God is fully capable of displaying overwhelming power. Rather, the essence of God is in his relationship and communication to the person. 

How does God’s voice comfort and renew Elijah?

God's voice restored confidence that he had lost without harsh rebuke.  God also comforts Elijah by pointing him to a spiritual companion.  It also, clarified direction for him.

Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet?

We can easily miss his voice in the clutter of our minds, through "selective hearing," or mistake it as one of our own passing thoughts when it is gentle and quiet.

19 hours ago, JanMary said:

1. The wind, earthquake and fire are loud, insistent and difficult to miss! The still small voice is easy to ignore if we're not listening or expecting to hear it. The "chatter and noise" around us can drown it out!

2. The still small voice of God,  kind, gentle and loving, comforts Elijah because He hears acceptance and understanding of his exhaustion, depression and fear, rather than a rebuke which would have caused Elijah even more pain and distress.

3. We must  learn to listen for, hear and recognize His voice or He's apt to be ignored. 

I had an experience several years ago, while sitting alone in my car in the winter in an abandoned parking area of a local wilderness area, praying and journaling where I'd gone because it's peaceful and quiet. I was parked facing the beautiful wilderness where I often saw animals, with my back to the entrance. In the stillness I heard: "GO! NOW!"  It was "still and small" but URGENT! I put down my pen, started the car and drove around the circle to exit through the short bottleneck driveway which was the only way in or out. I passed a car which was entering just as I was leaving, and as I glanced at the mans face, I saw eyes of pure evil, causing the hair on the back of my neck to literally stand on end! I shivered, realizing the Lord had just rescued me from what only He knew was about to happen to me if I'd stayed. The man  could easily have blocked that narrow entrance and I'd have been trapped with no way to escape and no one within miles to hear me if I cried for help. How I thank and praise my Father for having taught me not only to listen for and to  hear his voice but to obey, or I might not be here to tell the story! 

Oh bless God. he is indeed our keeper, our shade upon our right hand. I thank God for your life and the work He is doing in and through you.You are a blessing. 

Q 1:  

A still, small voice is a personal, loving presence of God to get our attention.

Elijah realizes God cares for and has more for Elijah to do.

So many times our mind is busy with everyday tasks, entertainment and unnecessary things, that we miss the whisper, nudge or any other way God is communicating. Just as we take time with a friend to listen, we need to take the time to be alone with God and quiet ourselves, so we can hear His voice of love, encouragement  and what He wants us to do.

Q1. (1 Kings 17-19) Why do you think the author contrasts the “still small voice” to the wind, earthquake, and fire? The wind and earthquake and fire are destructive forces of natures that would scare Elijah and not comfort him while he is depressed and feeling defeated. While the still small voice of God will bring comfort and a sense of hope to his hopelessness. 

How does God’s voice comfort and renew Elijah? The voice tells him to eat and drink more than once to renew his strength so he can continue doing the work that God told him to do. The voicer tells him that there is a remnant left that still believes in God and doesn't believe in Baal. 

Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet? It is easy to miss the voice of God when we are in hurry and want to get on with our lives and do our to do lists and don't want to wait to listen for His still small voice to speak to us. Distractions can stop us from hearing us from His voice. 

The comparison showed him he had to sharpen his senses and concentrate on God to be able to hear that small still voice.  All the others were powerful, shocking and didn't take much heart time to figure out.

He comforted him with first meeting basic needs Elijah had, then gently rebukes him to get his thinking straight.

It's easy these days to miss His still, small voice with all of the electronic media shouting at us.  It shows we need to get alone with the Lord on a regular basis.

Q1. (1 Kings 17-19) Why do you think the author contrasts the "still small voice" to the wind, earthquake, and fire? How does God's voice comfort and renew Elijah? Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet?

Could it possibly be a way of describing the one who is the strongest? In life down here on the earth I have often seen where the strongest and most capable people are also quiet natured. If we think about it, our father Yahweh is strong beyond any possible comparison, yet the humblest. If we listen, we can hear him talking, sometimes almost plain as day and yet there are times in a dream I have learned of something taken care of which at one time troubled me more than anything. I remember one time when I first knew Jesus and was out hunting in the mountains when I was sitting in a spot totally tormented about something that happened when finally, almost like a loud hollering voice, the words “forgive her”, I won’t mention exactly what happened but it was at that moment I could have fell asleep out on that freezing cold mountain I was so much at peace. It could be easy to miss God’s voice when there is much distraction. Sometimes I find myself longing to be the person I used to be, which is a bad place to be in but sometimes when things are so noisy a distracting, I get side tracked. I think the 4:00 A.M. thing is the best for me. Sometimes I wished it was always early morning when everyone else is still asleep. That is kind of a greedy and impractical thought but somewhere I think most have been.

1  GOD DOES NOT NEED TO SHOW HIS POWER BY SHOWING OFF TO MAN.HE CAN IF HE WANTED TO BUT I THINK HE WOULD RATHER SPEAK TO US IN A PERSONAL WAY.

2   GOD COULD HAVE REBUKED ELIJAH AS HE WAS ACTING VERY COWARDLY,BUT HE SPOKE TO HIM GENTLY AS HE KNEW THAT IS WHAT ELIJAH NEEDED.

3   WE ARE SO BUSY AND CAUGHT UP IN THIS WORLD-LEE THINGS THAT WE MISS THE STILL QUIET VOICE OF GOD. 

- Because God is our Father, he knows what we Need in this Situation like Elijah Situation.

- God is in his relationship and communication to the Person.

- Because we do not recognize Gods voice and we only make ourselves busy.

Q1. (1 Kings 17-19) Why do you think the author contrasts the "still small voice" to the wind, earthquake, and fire? How does God's voice comfort and renew Elijah? Why is it easy to miss God when his voice is gentle and quiet?

. The contrast possibly is showing the sovereignty of God which catches our attention. The still small voice is easy to ignore if we're not expecting to hear it.

2. He gave Elijah something to do to help him forget about the distractions that was on his mind. God comforted Elijah by pointing him to a spiritual companion, Elisha who will share his sometime lonesome life with him and eventually succeed him.

3. Sometimes if we are not trained to recognize God's voice, we might mistake it for a passing thought in our mind.

Possibly because of Elijah emotional state, God chose to speak with him in this low and comforting tone of assurance and love.  Oftentimes, when we get the impression that speaks in a thunderous voice, it brings fear to those who encounter it.  It certainly conveys to me Peter's restoration.  

God listens to Elijah without rebuke and reveals Himself with a gentle rebuke.  God allows Elijah to go back the way he came and gave him new assignments.  He gave him the assurance of a place nearby where he passes by. Also, that He, God, has other faithful prophets who have not failed Him.

Our expectations can become a hindrance and cause us to miss God's voice.  When we restrict how God's communicates to us, we can miss Him. As stated in the presentation, we can miss God's voice as a passing thought because it's not loud.

I think with all the things that are wrap up in our life is as loud as earthquakes howling winds.  We have to put all our troubles and all our concerns a side and quit trying to deal with them our

self. Turn them over to God. We really have to listen for that still small voice and be in tune with listening  for the Holy Spirit to speak

Eiijah was made known by God that there was plenty of faithful prophets that  could and would assist him.

We miss God"s voice because we are in a hurry with our quite time with him. We have to plan our quite so we can really listen for that still quite voice.

I believe it's because we all assume that since God is Omnipotent(all powerful) we expect a loud thundering noise when he speaks, or a trumpet sounding voice, etc. Therefore, we miss out on God's tender, still voice, gentle whisper, that is trying to get our attention.

God comforts Elijah in that He personally visits Elijah, as He whispers gently into his ear, makes Elijah feel loved, protected, and that God actually cares for his well being. He reminds Elijah that God has not forgotten about him. Reminds Him that his God given mission is not finished yet. Lets Elijah know that he is not alone in his walk with God, there's other brothers in Christ that have also remained faithful, and so he must not lose heart.

We can easily miss God speaking to us because we are constantly surrounded by all types of noises; from a busy work schedule, demanding children, loud radios, social media, etc. We might think that attending a bigger church, with larger crowds, louder music, louder speakers, will somehow bring us closer to God, and so we fail to realize that what God wants is time alone with us.

" Be still and know that I am God. Forget about all your worries, anxieties, troubles, hectic life, and come to me. Let me worry about all that. Right now,  I want to have supper with you. Just you and Me".     GOD.

The still small voice of God  reveals his gentleness in spite of how mighty and sovereign he is. It also shows how God is very understanding and knows how to deal with us based on our  specific circumstances. God reminds Elijah that he is not alone which is how a life committed to God feels at times. However, we are assured by this text that we are NEVER alone. God uses this tone to comfort Elijah and let him know he (God) cares. The still small voice is what we often overlook especially when we are feeling discouraged. The text reminds us to be still and know that he is God.

Q1. (1 Kings 17-19) 
Why do you think the author contrasts the "still small voice" to the wind, earthquake, and fire? 
How does God's voice comfort and renew Elijah? 
Why is it easy to miss God when His voice is gentle and quiet? 

We read of God sending the wind, earthquake, and fire, but His presence was not found here in these powerful demonstration of destruction. Instead it was in the “still small voice” that followed them.
God reveals Himself to us according to our needs. To awaken His Prophets, He is sometimes the God of thunder and flame. But to someone who is fearful and stressed, to comfort them, He is the God of the “still small voice”. This is how God, in love and grace, spoke to Elijah. Nevertheless, he was still rebuked for his loss of faith. I think Elijah was also feeling sorry for himself and wanted vengeance. 
He wanted God to send the windstorm, the earthquake, and the fire upon Jezebel and her idolaters, but God was reminding him that He is in control, not Elijah. 
God comforted and renewed Elijah by speaking gently to him as well as giving new assignments that would keep him busy and help him to forget the situation he thought he was in. This made him realize that God doesn't always reveal Himself only in powerful, miraculous ways. 
We can also miss His gentle and quiet voice. This can so easily happen today, since we are so exposed to all sorts of social media and we need to step back from all the noise and activity of our busy life and listen quietly for His guidance. It may come when we least expect it, and is often found gently whispering in the quietness of a humbled heart.