JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Nudges and Insights

Pastor Ralph

Q3. (Acts 5:1-11; 8:23; 14:8-10) Sometimes God nudges you by giving you insight into the spiritual state of people around you. What should you be asking God about once you receive this insight about them? Have you ever had a nudge from God that resulted in a person receiving help? What did you learn from this?

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Acts 5:1-11; 8:23; 14:8-10) Sometimes God nudges you by giving you insight into the spiritual state of people around you. What should you be asking God about once you receive this insight about them? Have you ever had a nudge from God that resulted in a person receiving help? What did you learn from this?

1.  Yes, many times.

2. I should be asking "What do you want me to Do? Say? Pray? Provide? 

3. One of the most fun ones was when I was going to a Kathryn Kuhlman crusade years ago and felt a nudge to invite one of my neighbors. (I was very new in the Lord then and thought I could ignore the prompting because I didn't want to invite her because she was a Catholic and I thought she would be offended to be invited to something not Catholic). So I put it off and put it off, ignoring the nudges. The day before the event I got more than a nudge...a command to invite her, so I did. She wanted to go!!!!!  When we got there we heard beautiful singing as we found our way to our seats! When we could see the front, the entire Choir was  Catholic Nuns! (tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor!!!!) It was a beautiful service of worship, a wonderful inspiring message, and many visible miraculous healings! At the altar call, she made no visible sign that she was praying, and didn't go to the front to be prayed for, so I thought it was a "seed planted" for another time. On the drive home she casually asked "Does it count that I prayed to receive Christ, but didn't go forward to be prayed for?"  I almost drove off the road as I happily explained that it was enough that her heart responded to His invitation and that He heard her prayer and she is now His beloved daughter.

The most recent was a nudge regarding a young man who works at our nearby drug store dressed as a woman. I learned his name and chatted with him whenever I went to that store. One day I felt strongly to go there but thought how weird...(my nephew died that morning and it was the morning after the recent massacre in Las Vegas). When I got there I couldn't find what I needed and he helped me find it. He brought up the horror of last night in Las Vegas, and we chatted. I noticed no one else was in the store! I followed Holy Spirits lead and shared Christ with him, and he received Him with joy. A week later when I went back, he led me to a quiet place and said: "When you came in last week I didn't tell you, but  I had prayed that morning  and asked God to send someone to me, and He sent you! (I was thrilled to have obeyed and wished I could afford to buy him a Bible!)

Several weeks ago I was cleaning out a book shelf and discovered a Bible I had forgotten. It has a concordance in the front on various subjects. Then the nudge, take it to him. When I gave it to him he said I'm interested in healing....how do I find those verses? I showed him the concordance in front and there were all of the scriptures on healing on one page for him.

I just realized all of Question #2 is what happened: What do you want me to Do? Say? Pray? Provide? How I thank and Praise our precious Lord who died to save the whole world....whosoever may come..... and uses us to be His hands, feet and heart and voice to those around us...even when we resist!

It is important for us to ask God what to do with these nudges.  He reveals it for a purpose whether to confront and correct the individuals if there is a need for repentance, pray for them for their restoration, expose their wrong or seek their deliverance or healing.

Yes. I am just a vessel to be used by God for his glory.  I have to make myself available to Christ.  

First, I would ask God to help me to reflect him in the person's life. Then, I'd ask him to teach me how to most effectively minister to and pray for him.or her. Next, I would follow up with him or her regarding God's answer and what impact prayer had in the situation and I'd be careful to give God all glory and praise for using me. I have received several divine nudges throughout my Christian journey which have resulted in individuals getting what they need and those experiences have improved the quality of my faith in miraculous ways.

Q3. (Acts 5:1-11; 8:23; 14:8-10) Sometimes God nudges you by giving you insight into the spiritual state of people around you. What should you be asking God about once you receive this insight about them?Whether or not they would be receptive to listen to the word you would have for them and how to pray for them once you talk to them about the Lord. Whether the person will be willing to receive the Lord if they are asked about salvation. 

Have you ever had a nudge from God that resulted in a person receiving help?

Yes many times 

What did you learn from this? 

That there are people out there who need the Lord or are in need of prayer or some assistance some other way. 

I Should be asking God what it is he wants me to talk to them about and in what way can I encourage them. I should be asking if I should talk to them about salvation or how their spiritual walk is with the Lord. I admit at times I do not often do this because I get so wrapped up in my own things or get afraid. Other times I hear the Spirit telling me to be quiet especially if I know the persons do not want to talk about God. Other times I have just been led to give someone a tract to read.

One time after my husband died and I was at a ladies retreat he directed me to read not only a poem I had written but verses from Isaiah 54 about the widowed woman and what I had written in my journal, words I wrote down that God spoke back to me. I knew it was Him because of the scripture involved in it. I read all 3 things that year in front of a roomful of ladies. Later I heard that there was a woman there who had just recently lost her husband. I knew then that God used my testimony to speak to her that day. Even though I never saw her God used me to help her and comfort her. We do not always have to be directly involved for God to work.

On 1/27/2018 at 2:55 PM, JanMary said:

1.  Yes, many times.

2. I should be asking "What do you want me to Do? Say? Pray? Provide? 

3. One of the most fun ones was when I was going to a Kathryn Kuhlman crusade years ago and felt a nudge to invite one of my neighbors. (I was very new in the Lord then and thought I could ignore the prompting because I didn't want to invite her because she was a Catholic and I thought she would be offended to be invited to something not Catholic). So I put it off and put it off, ignoring the nudges. The day before the event I got more than a nudge...a command to invite her, so I did. She wanted to go!!!!!  When we got there we heard beautiful singing as we found our way to our seats! When we could see the front, the entire Choir was  Catholic Nuns! (tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor!!!!) It was a beautiful service of worship, a wonderful inspiring message, and many visible miraculous healings! At the altar call, she made no visible sign that she was praying, and didn't go to the front to be prayed for, so I thought it was a "seed planted" for another time. On the drive home she casually asked "Does it count that I prayed to receive Christ, but didn't go forward to be prayed for?"  I almost drove off the road as I happily explained that it was enough that her heart responded to His invitation and that He heard her prayer and she is now His beloved daughter.

The most recent was a nudge regarding a young man who works at our nearby drug store dressed as a woman. I learned his name and chatted with him whenever I went to that store. One day I felt strongly to go there but thought how weird...(my nephew died that morning and it was the morning after the recent massacre in Las Vegas). When I got there I couldn't find what I needed and he helped me find it. He brought up the horror of last night in Las Vegas, and we chatted. I noticed no one else was in the store! I followed Holy Spirits lead and shared Christ with him, and he received Him with joy. A week later when I went back, he led me to a quiet place and said: "When you came in last week I didn't tell you, but  I had prayed that morning  and asked God to send someone to me, and He sent you! (I was thrilled to have obeyed and wished I could afford to buy him a Bible!)

Several weeks ago I was cleaning out a book shelf and discovered a Bible I had forgotten. It has a concordance in the front on various subjects. Then the nudge, take it to him. When I gave it to him he said I'm interested in healing....how do I find those verses? I showed him the concordance in front and there were all of the scriptures on healing on one page for him.

I just realized all of Question #2 is what happened: What do you want me to Do? Say? Pray? Provide? How I thank and Praise our precious Lord who died to save the whole world....whosoever may come..... and uses us to be His hands, feet and heart and voice to those around us...even when we resist!

Praise be to God Almighty! Great testimony! Thank u!

Sometimes God nudges you by giving you insight into the spiritual state of people around you. What should you be asking God about once you receive this insight about them? How He might use me in accordance with His will; please use me to give salt &/light to this person. Reasonable to share (useful, safe to share contact info) Have you ever had a nudge from God that resulted in a person receiving help? Not sure. As a people-person, I extend myself comfortably to people & offer an assortment of suggestions, conversations, helps. What did you learn from this? I probably play it safe although I make myself super available. I am skeptical b/c since the enemy does degrees of damage on earth & can masquerade as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14) it is wise to test supernatural actvy (1 Thessalonians 5:211 John 4:1-4)

On 1/27/2018 at 10:39 PM, Cindybear said:

First, I would ask God to help me to reflect him in the person's life. Then, I'd ask him to teach me how to most effectively minister to and pray for him.or her. Next, I would follow up with him or her regarding God's answer and what impact prayer had in the situation and I'd be careful to give God all glory and praise for using me. I have received several divine nudges throughout my Christian journey which have resulted in individuals getting what they need and those experiences have improved the quality of my faith in miraculous ways.

Beautiful!! Glory to God!!

- Yes many times 

- I am happy if I can help, by the way....

I pray my God to give me understanding, power and time to do that.

- Learn God is the number 1.

Q3. (Acts 5:1-11; 8:23; 14:8-10) 
Sometimes God nudges by giving you, insight into the spiritual state of people around you. 
What should you be asking God about once you receive this insight about them? 

A great friend of mine was involved in a property development which many of us saw as the wrong move. I had a dream about what he should be doing instead. At first, my wife and I were very hesitant about telling him of my dream. So we prayed about it earnestly for a while, and it was only when we were sure that this was a message from the Lord, that I approached him and told him about the plans our Lord had for him. He listened half-heartedly, but never responded or later mentioned anything about our discussion. 
What did I learn from this? Well firstly, I had regrets in ever having told him about my dream. In actual fact I felt like an idiot. But I knew I had prayed about it and I knew my motives were sincere; only having his concern at heart. I even began doubting if this was ever a message from the Lord. I don’t get any joy in reporting that since then he has only had endless expenses, staff troubles, and a deteriorating health. We now pray for the Lord’s help in getting him out of the position he has found himself in. 

I think it would depend on the situation. If at all possible, I would probably be asking God for more information to be revealed, perhaps as a result of direct conversation with the person in question, however that is not always possible. If time is not an emergency factor, I would want to know what to do but if there was no time for explanations it would be on of them speed-of-thought “please guide me through this. I’ve had something like this happen more than once and if there is one thing I have learned, don’t regard the situation as something to be put off for later unless you are heading into it which gives you more time to ask God to lead you through/do or say the right thing.

1.I think you can tell about the people you are around by the feelings you have. I think this is the Holy Spirit letting you know.

2. I think you should pray and ask the Lord if this is him  telling me or am I being judgmental.  Ask the Lord to help me with the feelings I am having about these people.

3.Yes I have.

4. When we someone who needs help really needs it the Holy Spirit will guide you to do what you can.

Q3. (Acts 5:1-11; 8:23; 14:8-10) Sometimes God nudges you by giving you insight into the spiritual state of people around you. What should you be asking God about once you receive this insight about them? Have you ever had a nudge from God that resulted in a person receiving help? What did you learn from this?

1. First of all I need to ask what do he want me to do so that I can be in his will. I should be praying and asking God what can I do to give this person a word from him so that they can be saved.

2. Yes

3. I learned that I need to be in an undivided relationship with God. I should have a steady mind on him so that he can reach me at all times to be in and do his will.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:13 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes,  I have had a nudge giving me insight into the spiritual state of those around me. When feeling those nudges I feel we should be asking God how we can be used   In that situation.

Is it to speak a special word to the person? Or a gesture of kindness? Or simply to listen and show care and concern? 

Several occasions I have received a nudge that I believe has resulted in helping people. 

One thing I learned from some of these situations is that people will appreciate and be watching your actions and often receive them as a blessing. (My hope is that they see HIM/Jesus through the action.) (It sometimes has lead to follow up with more inquiries, or friendships or a future opportunity to relate with this person.) 

Q3. (Acts 5:1-11; 8:23; 14:8-10)

Q. Sometimes God nudges you by giving you insight into the spiritual state of people around you. What should you be asking God about once you receive this insight about them?

A. I will ask the Lord God Almighty to tell me clearly WHO to talk to, WHEN to do so and WHAT to say and HOW to say it.

Q. Have you ever had a nudge from God that resulted in a person receiving help?

A. I have had, particularly regarding someone who needed some financial assistance and I responded and got response like “this aid came at just the right time”

Q. What did you learn from this?

A. When I responded to such nudges in the past, I didn’t think so much about them after my response. But now I know that God is in the business of sending us to rescue people through nudges. I will henceforth be more attentive to such opportunities and to act accordingly when I receive the Lord’s instructions that come through nudges. So help me Lord God Almighty.

We should be asking God to allow His Holy Spirit to speak through us. To let us know when to approach that person, and how to minister to them without being judgmental.

Many times God has nudged me about making a call to someone. Not understanding why, I simply call to see how they are doing. One sister(probably 96 yrs old) in particular hadn't been attending church because of her frail health. Though I moved to a different church, I still had her number. One day the Lord placed it in my heart to call her. She was very happy to hear from me. She said that she was feeling very lonely. And though she had a lot of friends(church family) no one had bothered to call her lately or visit. She said God answered her prayer when she received a call from me.  She continued to say she felt as if everyone had forgotten about her. I thanked God for nudging me to call her and for allowing me to be sensitive to His Spirit and obeying.  

Sometimes God nudges you by giving you insight into the spiritual state of people around you. What should you be asking God about once you receive this insight about them?

Pray for direction and guidance and follow through to do his will.

Possibly.  Mostly I get nudges to pray for/with a particular person that I do not know in a store. I do not know what happens after that.

God is good.  I do hope that my prayers have helped the individuals I have met.  I continue to follow Gods guidance to where he wants me to do something.

(Acts 5:1-11; 8:23; 14:8-10) Sometimes God nudges you by giving you insight into the spiritual state of people around you. What should you be asking God about once you receive this insight about them? I should ask for direction and guidance. I should ask how I can minister to them.

Have you ever had a nudge from God that resulted in a person receiving help?  Often

What did you learn from this? Be humble and open to God's leading. Don't take any credit for what He accomplishes through me

On 11/29/2017 at 2:13 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes, He does. I should seek for clear details on what God wants me to touch in terms of what the person is going through. Often they have a lot to say, but I should be asking the Lord to guide me towards what God wants to say to this person, the right words, the right time and place to talk to the person. 

I have received a nudge from God about a single mother who was at that particular moment in need of advice to raise her 4 year old son single handedly, after her abusive husband who just ditched her away made her homeless. It was apparently perfect timing when I called her, as I had an afternoon nap and she came to my short nap in a vivid dream, seeking a phone to call me. As soon as I woke up I called her and she was apparently really intending to call me but was out of credit and living in a neighbour's house while awaiting for what to do next. I really felt it was my calling. I did the right thing to help her pick up the pieces, and also give her that moral support she needed at that very broken time. She is today a fulltime working mother and successfully raising her son singlehandedly with pride from all that she earns, by God's Great Grace.

The nudges that contain insights are discernment.  You ask God how to proceed--when & where.

I'm sure I have, but cannot remember.  It's an encouragement to stay close to God and be open to Him as He speaks--in whatever way He chooses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2017 at 8:13 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I will have to ask God to help me with this. I can't honestly say I have helped someone after a nudge from GOD.

I have found that when praying for people, God will show me what to pray for that individual.  Very often, not what is observable, but I pray anyway.  God has then shown me later that I sensed it right, by revealing more to me in conversation with that person.  In mentoring people, this has also helped me.  Often the insight is not to communicate to them, but as we study together and converse, the Holy Spirit reveals it to them and then confirms what was already revealed to me.  It really helps in knowing what material to work through in our time together.

In leading a large mentor ship group, God has often revealed the spiritual state of the group to me and guided me in what topic to deal with next.  I often am not sure if it is going to be what they need, but as the year progresses on a theme, the work is confirmed by the impact it has on the group.

Often I will study scripture and not have a real sense that it is speaking to me.  Later I will be speaking to someone, and then that insight from the scripture will come up in my thoughts.  I then share it and it turns out to be exactly the word or insight they needed.  From this I have learnt, that God will always provide what is needed to help people and I need not wonder what I will say or teach, but He prepares my heart and deposits His word into me, then when it comes to the time for action, He will reveal exactly what to do and say.

Q3. (Acts 5:1-11; 8:23; 14:8-10) Sometimes God nudges you by giving you insight into the spiritual state of people around you. What should you be asking God about once you receive this insight about them? I should be asking God on the way forward, what I need to do or the action I should take in such a case.

Have you ever had a nudge from God that resulted in a person receiving help? Yes, I have had a nudge from God that resulted in a person receiving help.

What did you learn from this? It is always a joy when you respond to a nudge in a positive manner.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that you ask God to help you to relate to that person so that you can talk to them. I have been nudged from God to talk to them about Him and I don’t know if they had received help. I am not good at perceiving that kind of thing. I have learned that even if that person doesn’t open up to me I have just planted another seed in them that might someday flourish.

Sometimes God nudges you by giving you insight into the spiritual state of people around you. What should you be asking God about once you receive this insight about them?

Some insights and words to minister to their needs.

I recall feeling great compassion for an older Asian lady who had recently lost her husband, leading others in prayer in a bible study I had never attended before. She was the mother of the couple who hosted that Sunday afternoon bible study.

Don’t be afraid to act when you get a strong feeling inside, a certain stirring, a gut feel of knowing when to act and speak.