JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Pride Corrupts

• 2 months later...

Q4. How can pride corrupt our hearing from God? 

It can cause us to think to we hear God when in fact we don't and we are listening to the enemy's voive or our own desires or thoughts about something and what we want instead of paying attention to God and what He would want for us instead. We become proud and think we don't need to listen to His voice anymore or don't accurately portray His voice either. 

How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride?

We learn true humility by prayer and Bible study and learning from others what true humility is. We also learn to repent of our sins when we are confronted by someone about them and we choose repentance over pride instead. 

How can pride corrupt our hearing from God? Pride causes us to take credit for things God actually causes to happen and we wander around our own world without listening for His voice

How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride? My best defense is to ask God to point out my pride immediately and stop me from taking credit for what He did

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. How can pride corrupt our hearing from God? How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride?

1. No wonder pride is one of the 7 things God says He hates. (Proverbs 6:16-19) It's so ugly, deadly and stupid! Pride is a deception of how we see ourselves and deals with the deep heart motives and thoughts. Pride says "I'm right and God is wrong." When our thinking is twisted by pride and arrogance we are unlikely to be open to hearing anything from God (or from anyone else for that matter) because we think we are just fine and already know everything!

2. When we recognize pride in ourselves, confession and a cry for help is the solution. We're told to humble ourselves...much less painful than having the Lord humble us, I've learned. Renewing our minds as we read scripture helps us to see our true condition and need for Him every second of every day!  

If we have pride, it steals the glory God should be getting.  He isn't going to be leading us--our pride is saying we want to do it ourselves.

We need to be humble--knowing how great & awesome our God is.  He alone knows the answers & how He wants to lead us.  We want to be instruments in his hand, to use us as He will.

Pride can corrupt our hearing from God by making us full of ourselves because we think we are more spiritual than others. Just because we might hear God speak to us more. Then we tend to brag about it to others to get their praise and think too muich of ourselves. It clouds our judgement and interferes with our relationship with God. It is a sin and God cannot stand sin and it keeps us from becoming close to Him. In our pride we might mistake our own thoughts for His and lead others astray. 

We protect ourselves by only saying God told us something when He actually did and we say it with humility. We promote God not ourselves. Make sure that the message is from God and not from someone else or the devil trying to masquerade as God. We have to realize that we are here to glorify Him and not ourselves. 

How can pride corrupt our hearing from God?

It can contaminate out motives.

1. Don't publicly claim God's guidance unless it is clear.
  2. Don't say, "God told me," unless he has really spoken.
  3. When you talk about God's guidance, do it with humility. It is God you are trying to promote, not the servant whose ears got cleaned out enough to hear Him.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God will stop speaking to us if we begin to think we are more than people that do not hear from Him. 

Stay humble.

On 2/4/2018 at 11:25 PM, Jilly said:

It can contaminate out motives.

3. When you talk about God's guidance, do it with humility. It is God you are trying to promote, not the servant whose ears got cleaned out enough to hear Him.

Thank you for this response. I agree that our motives should be clear and clean. On God's guidance or hearing His voice, sometimes we Christians tend to confuse the desires of our hearts and thoughts with God's guidance. Lord teach us to be humble.

Q4. How can pride corrupt our hearing from God? How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride?

Pride can contaminate our motives. 

We can protect ourselves from beg deceived by our pride: 

How can pride corrupt our hearing from God? Im thinking that pride is at the core of most, if not all sin & it is likely that unconfessed sin, mixed motives or a private agenda will block my hearing, as well as Gods priority of messages. Ps 66:18 talks about God not hearing us if I cherish sin in my heart. Bragging about hearing from God could be presumptuous & requires great discernment. How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride? Remembering that life is not about me but the glory of God helps. Prayerful introspection, being a better listener & having fewer words, considering others as better than myself also helps but Im still trying to understand its application. Live surrendered to God primarily, with a clear conscience & not pretending to be something Im not.

Q4. 

Pride blots out any voice of God we may have been able to hear. It puts ourselves before our Heavenly Father, at least we think so - it’s all about me, me, and I. I read once that Self is the weed in the garden of life. A stubborn weed! I cannot remember where I read it, but I love this because it is so true. We cannot make demands on God. We cannot try and manipulate Him. By doing this it only shows that we are ignorant of who He actually is! Once we truly know Him, we will come before Him as a humble servant – no more pride. We need to be patient, acknowledging Him for who He really is. 
We can protect ourselves from being deceived only when we recognising our sin of pride and self-sufficiency. This can easily occur when we become complacent and allow affluence and prosperity to boost our pride so that it becomes a snare in our life. God intends us to humble and to acknowledge that our sufficiency depends entirely upon Him. 

A. When we lift ourselves by proudly proclaim that God had spoken to us. Q. How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride?

A. We are to humbly proclaim god's message without any self exaltation thereby giving God the glory

There are countless ways pride could interfere with our hearing from God, but the love of money would be high on the list. I started to list some examples I have seen in the past but in the end declined on the idea because that is not the purpose of this forum, but personal gain would be a reason for announcing either to a group of people, or targeted individuals something that “God had told them.” While protecting ourselves from another’s pride is, I believe important, protecting others from our own pride might be of greater importance, i.e., removing the plank from our own eye first, or maybe “clean your own house before commenting on the condition of your neighbor’s rug”. One should think long and hard as to where the “voice” came from and to whose benefit was it. If it was a push for personal gain, and I believe one can tell instantly whether it was right or wrong, then it needs to be dispelled quickly. Does what you heard sound like something from God or is there even the slightest hint of depravity? God is strictly a straight shooter and there is no “pranks” in His words. If it sounds even slightly corrupt, well, it is corrupt. There is no such thing as slightly. The bad apple is trying to spoil the whole batch and if you can stop it, do it. You, not your neighbor will answer.

1 Pride keeps us from letting the Lord do his job. We get above Our Lord and think we can do all things ourselves. Proverbs is a good book of the bible to read scriptures on pride.

2 we read our bibles daily we pray for the Lord to keep us humble. We let the Lord live in our hearts and guide us daily.

Q4. How can pride corrupt our hearing from God? How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride?

1.  Don’t say God told you something when you are not sure he did. Be sure it was God that spoke and speak as a humble servant. Pride can make us think we heard God when we didn’t because we are listening to the devil.

2.  We should be reading, praying, and fasting consistently to have a relationship with God and keeping our minds still to listen when he speaks. We need to have a repentant heart daily. We need to be humble.

If we are proud we believe we have the answers and can do  everything in our own strength. We will then not be receptive to hearing from Him. Humility comes from accepting that we are not in control but that He is.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. How can pride corrupt our hearing from God? When we talk publicly things that are not right and also tell what is not true.

How do we protect ourselves from being deceived by our pride? We should not publicly gain God’s guidance unless it is clear. When we talk about God’s guidance, we should do it with humility, as it is God, I am trying to promote, not the servant whose ears got cleaned out enough to hear.

On 11/28/2017 at 8:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Pride elevates self and your agenda.  Says I am more important than God, I am more important than others.  My agenda is more important.  My desires and wants are more important.

When pride sets in, it blocks a heart that is submissive and obedient. It results in taking over control of everything and disobedience.It sets itself up as God.

1. Practice self humbling.  Not self humiliating, but as Paul says: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance to the measure of faith God has given you. Rom 12:3
  2. Do it yourself, don't put it off, or wait for others to do it, or wait for circumstances to be humbled.  Do it before God has to humble you. (James 4:10)
  3. Practice regular circumspection, as this is wise. (Eph 5:15)

• 2 weeks later...

The way that pride can corrupt our hearing from God is that we brag when we do hear from God. We know that when we say that God told us then people will listen and honor you. I think that we can protect ourselves from deceiving our pride is to just do what God said to do and don’t say anything about it.

With pride we can pollute what God might say to us, for we are more led by our own self interests, rather than having a servant heart and being wholly reliant on God.

We need to get a right attitude and right heart toward God. We need to be continually in prayer, studying God’s Word and listening for God during each of our days.

a.) We need to be in the Word and know what God's Word says. We need to check our motives, are we really hearing from God or just think we are hearing from God. Are we doing it for recognition or to win people?

b.) Does it line up with the Word of God? Check in our hearts.  When we really hear from God there is a humility and a  boldness that we know it is from  God and not ourselves.  Is the word just for you, or others?

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins and is actually the number one deadly sins.  It was Lucifer’s pride that created the war in heaven, he is so proud of himself and I’ve seen a proud look and I hated it!!!  By being humble and submission to God we can keep our pride in check.  God loves humility and rewards people who are humble for Jesus Christ said the humble shall be exalted and the proud shall be abased.