JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

2. Multiple Fillings

• 2 months later...

What does it mean that Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" in these passages?

I believe it means they were empowered to witness as the Spirit deemed appropriate at an appointed time for purpose as the Spirit deemed appropriate.

Are they "re-filled"?

It is my belief the filling is a one-time occurrence.  However I also believe He can quicken our spirit man as we have the tendency to almost slip, to slip and/or misstep, sin, (Romans 8:11, Ephesians 2:1, Colossians 2:13, 1st Peter 3:18).  

It is of my belief according to the Scriptures upon receiving the Holy Spirit we should yield to His leading so that He can dwell/live within us fully and, in that sense, fill us (Romans 8:9, Ephesians 1:13-14); unfortunately, when we are not yielded unto Him, we can be grieved, (Ephesians 4:30), Him.  In a sense His activity within us can be quenched, (1st Thessalonians 5:19), when we do not adhere to His leading/guidance.

Sin hinders our being used by the Holy Spirit: Peter in Acts 10 ministered according to the leading of the Holy Spirit to Cornelius and his company; in Galatians 2:11-21 Peter grieves/quenches the Holy Spirit; the Holy Spirit prompts Paul into action.

Our obedience to God's commands allows the Spirit freedom to work within us, however because we blessed with the power of choice there are times we miss the mark in and of our own choosing. When we sin, we should immediately confess it to God and renew our commitment to being Spirit-filled and Spirit-led.

Is it possible for a believer to have many "fillings" of the Holy Spirit?

In my opinion, no as in re-filling; however in the sense of quickening yes.

Why?

At conversion the Believer receives the Holy Spirit John 14:16, Ephesians 1:13-14

Why not?

By grace in faith we receive; by faith/through faith He is manifested. 

On 7/23/2018 at 8:25 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are “filled with the Holy Spirit” in these passages?`

Answer: It may mean that the Holy Spirit empowered the apostles during that time.

Are they “re-filled”?

Answer: I dont think they are re-filled, the Holy Spirit are already there with them indwelling in their lives.

Is it possible for a believer to have many “fillings” of the Holy Spirit?

Answer: No, I dont think so.

Why or why not?

Answer: The word of the Lord in 1 Corinthians 1:22 it says there that "When we accept Christ as our Lord and savior, He immediately sealed us with His Spirit which could also mean that it is already dwelling on us permanently.

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" in these passages? Are they "re-filled"? Is it possible for a believer to have many "fillings" of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

It means that they were filled up and given more boldness and power after they had prayed to God. In their prayer, they were all united as one body and this glorified God when they all prayed for the same thing. So the Spirit came upon them and refilled them again so they could have power and boldness to speak. Yes, I believe that a believer can have many fillings if they are in line with what God wants and pray for more power and strength to do God's will. This is what God wants for only through the Spirit can we live for Him. We cannot do it in our own strength. We need the Spirit flowing through us.

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" in these passages? Are they "re-filled"? Is it possible for a believer to have many "fillings" of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

The fact that they had already received the Holy Spirit I would tend to relate this more to something like an NFL running back, who is already a gifted runner but when the heat is on in a game the adrenaline flows and the same with the Holy Spirit. As an example, I’ve seen preachers calmly reading verses and then instantly explode like a wildfire putting the word out. I don’t think a person is actually re-filled with the Spirit so much as the power from the Spirit manifests itself at appropriate times.

(Acts 4:8, 31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are “filled with the Holy Spirit” in these passages? Are they “re-filled”?

"Filled with the Holy Spirit" meant that the Spirit came upon them with special power.  I do not believe they were "re-filled".

Is it possible for a believer to have many “fillings” of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

Yes, believes can have many "fillings" of the Holy Spirit.  We can see in Acts, there were many occurrences that the Holy Spirit came upon Peter.  God's word says when we accept Jesus as our savior we shall receive His Holy Spirit.

QUESTION 2 LESSON 6

What does it mean that Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" in these passages?

The new believers will be receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit whilst in Peter’s case he will be experiencing the Power of the Holy Spirit (like a renewal of the experience of Pentecost) in enabling him to be full of courage, wisdom and eloquence.

Are they "re-filled"?

I would want to believe that what happens in the filling with the Holy Spirit of one who has already received the gift of Holy Spirit by whatever form or method is similar to spurring a horse to jump higher or filling the combustion chambers of a vehicle with fuel from the “tank” to get more thrust or power. It is also similar to a situation where someone bursts out in a fit of rage, the rage was lying dormant until a situation triggers it off. It is not as if the Holy Spirit has deserted the anointed person but that the latent power gets connected as with a battery that is being connected to a circuit to light up some bulbs.

(Acts 4:31) give us the clue to what triggers the “fillings” of the Holy Spirit to a believer who has had an initial filling. The clue is in the statement “After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were filled with the Holy Spirit…” It is therefore quite possible for a believer to have many “fillings” of the Holy Spirit.

Why or why not?

Because a lot of us believers have the Holy Spirit lying dormant in us because we do not know the nature of who is in us. If we are guided on how to acquire the knowledge of getting the most from the Spiritual gifts we can be found being filled with the Holy Spirit and demonstrate the new creation that we have become through works and witnessing like teaching, healing, prophesying and even speak in tongues.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:25 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are “filled with the Holy Spirit” in these passages? Are they “re-filled”? Is it possible for a believer to have many “fillings” of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

a.  The had an initial filling, but in Acts 4:8, 31 there was a special filling needed for boldness, like as in the old testament when the Holy Spirit came upon an individual to do great and mighty acts not able to do in the natural, but in the power of God.

b. No they were not refilled, but quickened by the Spirit.

c. Yes, it is possible to have as many as needed, by the power of God.

d. Because they are needed to do the Anointed Works of God, to change lives, to preach, teach, minister, win souls, healings, deliverances, and whatever God wants to do through us.

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31) 
Are they "re-filled"? 
Why or why not? 

I feel that there is only one Baptism with the Holy Spirit in the life of every believer, and this takes place at the moment of conversion – when we sincerely repent and place our trust in Jesus Christ as our Saviour.
This is the work of the Holy Spirit which includes the believer in the body of Christ (1Cor 12:13).
But the filling of the Holy Spirit is different. It is not a once only experience in the life of a believer, but rather we are “re-filled” time and again as a continuous process. As an example, we see that although Peter was initially filled with the Spirit when baptized at Pentecost, he was soon afterwards filled again in Acts 4:8. So it is possible for believers to have many “fillings” of the Holy Spirit.
However, for this to happen we must be in a righteous relationship with our Lord. We must have confessed all known sin and turned away from it. He must be in control of every aspect of our live – this involves the surrender of our will, our intellect, our body, our time, our treasures and our talents. We should be spending time on His Word – reading the Word, studying it, meditating on it, and obeying it. To be filled with the Spirit one must be occupied with Christ and not with self.

They were given extra power, sustenance to strengthen them to with the attacks on them  and to continue God's works.

No, there is no refilling but an extra boost, a quickening of the Holy Spirit in them 

I would say yes as the Lord sees the need of it.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:25 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are “filled with the Holy Spirit” in these passages? Are they “re-filled”? Is it possible for a believer to have many “fillings” of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

They were given extra boldness and power to testify.

No, just given more.

Yes, I believe so, when God sends his people to speak or testify more boldness will be given, God knows what we need and when we need it.

It means that when they prayed God answered their prayers to fill them with boldness to answer the authorities about the Lord and to speak about the Lord in the church. Yes it is a refilling of the Holy Spirit and given more power and authority to do their work for the Lord. Yes because of what God gives them to do in their chosen field of ministry they can be filled more than once.

Filled with the Spirit and Boldness (Acts 4-5)

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31) 4:8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, And
(Acts 4:31)  4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. Acts

Q2. What does it mean that Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" in these passages? 

ANS. Q 2:1 It means that they received anointing for ministeing.
The phrase "filled with the Holy Spirit" is used in Acts 4:8 to describe the Spirit coming upon Peter with special power to testify before the high priests.

2 a) Are they "re-filled"? Yes

2b) Is it possible for a believer to have many "fillings" of the Holy Spirit? 

ANS. Q 2:1b Yes. Believers can expect to have many subsequent "fillings" of the Holy Spirit (Acts 4:8, 31; 13:9, 52).

2c) Why or why not?

ANS. Q 2c). The Holy Spirit is given for a special purpose on certain individuals. To equip and empower for a special mission.

Even though Peter had already been baptized with the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, he now he receives a special "dose" or empowering of the Holy Spirit. We also see this regarding Paul in Acts 13:9 as he confronts a Jewish sorcerer who is opposing his message. This kind of understanding goes back to the Old Testament..

As I reflect this question, we are initially filled with the Holy Spirit at the moment of our conversion. We also need to yield and become sanctified. Sanctification is not an automatic event in the life of every believer. We realize that we are unable to live the Christian life on our own and cry out to God, He sends the Holy Spirit. We can be filled and refilled with the Spirit as often as needed. Keep in mind, the Apostles witnessed Jesus and His acts of compassion and all the other events. When the Holy Spirit came upon them, they were filled, yet they did not need the refilling as they lived through these awesome times. We need filled regularly because we allow many distractions to take our focus and we are willing but weak.

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" in these passages? Are they "re-filled"? Is it possible for a believer to have many "fillings" of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

1. The Spirit coming upon them with special power to testify.

2. No, but quicken with more power

3. Yes  

4. The power will come on us to give us strength and more power as we grow.

Q2. (Acts 4:8,31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are “filled with the Holy Spirit” in these passages? Are they “re-filled” Is it possible for a believer to have many “fillings” of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

2a. The meaning of Peter and the believer “filled with the Holy Spirit” in these passages simple describe the filling that brought special power of boldness to do God’s work.

2b. No

2 c. I don’t think they were “re-filled” because they were already filled. A believer can never lose the indwelling of the Holy Spirit according to John 14:16-17. We can however, grieve Him, Ephesians 4:30 or quench Him (1 Thessalonians 5:19), if we do, we resist the Holy Spirit influence, one writer said it’s like smother out a fire”. I believe the Holy spirit indwells the believer and He manifest his power as needed.    

Q2. (Acts 4:8,31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are “filled with the Holy Spirit” in these passages?

A special boldness was needed , a special filling was granted. God through the Holy Spirit will never desert us but fill us when we seek HIM. When they prayed they reminded God of HIS Word , they had a special request and GOD answered their special need. Their Faith opened the Fireplace of their hearts to be refilled again.

Acts 4:29 "And now, O Lord, hear their threats, and give us, your servants, great boldness in preaching your word,  

30 Stretch out your hand with healing power; may miraculous signs and wonders be done through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”

Are they “re-filled” Is itpossible for a believer to have many “fillings” of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

A Fireplace  in a home is always there  sometimes  a small simmering flame with latent power, then when needed more wood or coal is added as needed for each situation.  When the Holy Spirit takes residence in a person that Fireplace is HIS home, when HE needs to, that fireplace within the true believer will heat up appropriately . When we pray that fireplace glows brighter , when the situations arise and are prayers are even desperate, the the Holy Spirit will refill that Fireplace even to the point of a 'Mountain top' experience.    

"After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly." (Acts 4:31)

"We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him." (Acts 5:32)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Amplified:  4:8:  "Then Peter, because he was  controlled by the Holy Spirit, said to them"....  I believe these verses tell us that they were Baptized in the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, but just as we can quench the Holy Spirit and grieve the Holy Spirit, we can also yield our wills over to His power and control ….I call it "the Unction to Function" as we give control to Him.

b. Peter tells believers to" be filled with the Spirit". At Pentecost Holy Spirit filled "all of them to the brim".....now Peter is saying "Yield to Holy Spirit" and once again allow Him to have all of you or in other words,  allow Him to control you. I don't think we could function continually at that level because we are flesh. We are exhorted to "walk in the spirit", which requires mindfulness and yielding in order to function as His blessed children in our ordinary day to day activities, and instant obedience to yield when He desires to empower us at special times.

c. I think that is up for interpretation according to definitions. He never leaves us or forsakes us, so we don't need to be re-filled,  from "scratch", if I can use that term. My experience has been that He indwelt me at Salvation, never to abandon me. However there was a time when I learned about the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, and spent time in prayer asking for this gift, because I wanted all of Him that was available to me and I received the gift of a prayer language I hadn't learned and other gifts of the Spirit I had not possessed (or at least had not functioned in them, such as Words of Knowledge, Prophecy and others).  I have experienced what I would call "special anointing" at times when He has empowered me to say and do things out of the ordinary ("Unction to Function") as the situation necessitated. 

But however we look at this subject, it's clear to me that He is available in the same measure to each of His children, and will function at whatever level we will allow Him to function in and through us. At Salvation Holy Spirit comes INTO us. At Pentecost we are baptized INTO Him.

The phrase "filled with the Holy Spirit" is used in Acts 4:8 to describe the Spirit coming upon Peter with special power to testify before the high priests. Even though Peter had already been baptized with the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, he now he receives a special "dose" or empowering of the Holy Spirit. We also see this regarding Paul in Acts 13:9 as he confronts a Jewish sorcerer who is opposing his message. 

Believers can expect to have many subsequent "fillings" of the Holy Spirit (Acts 4:8, 31; 13:9, 52).

They were empowered for service in order to meet a particular challenge, or calling, of God. Their initial filling of the Spirit came at the point of being regenerated. The Holy Spirit “takes up residence” at that time – He abides within us and never leaves us.  Hence we are not re-filled, but to keep being continually filled.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2018 at 12:25 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

. The Holy Spirit is given for a  purpose to  equip and empower for a special mission of  manifestation AND  be filled & immersed in the power and presence of Holy Spirit..

Even though Peter had already been baptized with the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, he now he manifests the power and shares or bestows the power of the SPirit.

I wont think(debate ) much about this except Believe that all things (promises of Holy SPirit and its Rich  Spiritual Gifts ) /receive ,share /bestow  ,,so that Light of the Word reaches all ,

Power Power Wonder Working Power........

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31)

Q. What does it mean that Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" in these passages?  

A. The power of the Holy Spirit came upon him afresh

A. Are the "refilled?" 

A. Sort of.

Q. Is it possible for a believer to have many "fillings" of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

A. Yes when it means a fresh in pouring of the power of the Holy Spirit. We can and do actually need to be recharged with the power of God through the Holy Spirit living in us for specific challenging tasks that may arise from time to time.

I think the meaning of Peter and the believers were “filled with the Holy Spirit” in these passages was to say that they were given a little extra faith to get them through the situation. I don’t think that they were refilled but given more for the situation. I don’t think is possible as a believer to have many “fillings” of the Holy Spirit because when we receive the Holy Spirit we are filled it is just at times we can get closer to God when in a greater need.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:25 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

It meant that the Spirit came upon them in a special way, such that they were able to rise up to the challenges of that day. In v. 8, it was to enable Peter to testify in front of the chief priests. In v. 31, it was to enable the church to witness boldly in spite of fierce persecution.

Since they had already received a similar experience in Acts 2, these subsequent records can be regarded as "re-fillings".

It isn't strange for a believer to have this experience repeatedly - hence we may call it as many fillings. It isn't strange.

On the contrary, it would be strange to postulate that God would want his children to experience His Spirit only once, and thereafter to withdraw His Spirit during the rest of their lifetimes! Why would God want to deny them continuous filling of the Spirit? If a human father knows how to give good things to his children (and I'm sure it isn't just once!), how much more does the Father want to give the Spirit to us all the time!

If a Christian seems to have an initial filling of the Spirit and thereafter never had it again, it is more likely because he had sinned or strayed far from God, rather than because God wants us to experience His Spirit only once and after that never again.