JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Flesh

• 2 months later...

(Romans 7:7-25) What does Paul mean by “the sinful nature” (NIV) or “the flesh” (ESV, KJV)?

The "sinful nature" is the flesh that caters to its own desires and is open for the influence of Satan.

Is this ever eradicated?

No, it is not.  It will still be there as part of our fallen, imperfect and broken being.

Can there ever be victory over temptation?

Yes, as long as we yield to the Holy spirit we can have victory.  We will always have temptations and each time we say no that is a victory!

a. He has just answered this above "corrupt human nature, dominated by sin and rebellion against God, the unregenerate personality of man apart from God"  and "rebellion" and "apart" stand out to me.  "Sinful nature" is -- duh -- "natural" .. it is where we dwell when we are apart from God; and -- once we know the Truth -- we are apart from God because of rebellion.  Individual rebellion, not (just) that long ago rebellion of Adam and Eve.
b. No, it's not eradicated -- per the study "It's still there as part of our fallen, imperfect, and broken being" and I see no reason to disagree with that.
c. There is never final victory, but the struggle gets easier as our maturity in the Spirit grows. As Ralph says,
"As we learn to yield more and more to the Holy Spirit, we are freed from our slavery to the 'sinful nature.' ".  The "yield more and more" is consistent with my experience; and -- not said -- "we are freed more and more from our slavery" would also make sense

On 7/23/2018 at 1:34 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Romans 7:7-25) What does Paul mean by “the sinful nature” (NIV) or “the flesh” (ESV, KJV)? Is this ever eradicated? Can there ever be victory over temptation?

The sinful nature are the things we do in our flesh, the things of satan, that we do over and over, the desires of our flesh.

No, it will always try to show up, trying to enter your life once again.

YES, there is sweet victory over temptation, as we walk in the Spirit stay in the Word, we overcome temptation.We are Overcomers. 

Q1. (Romans 7:7-25) What does Paul mean by “the sinful nature” (NIV) or “the flesh” (ESV, KJV)? Is this ever eradicated? Can there ever be victory over temptation?

Paul meant the old man that caters to worldly desires and the ways of Satan. No it is not since it is part of us and we are told to keep putting it off. Yes there can be when we say no to Satan and say yes to Jesus and His ways. 

Q1. (Romans 7:7-25) What does Paul mean by "the sinful nature" (NIV) or "the flesh" (ESV, KJV)? Is this ever eradicated? Can there ever be victory over temptation?

The sinful nature is the part of us that wars against the spirit. It is something we were born with, due to the fall of Adam. In each of us, weak spots exist, all of which Satan seeks out to exploit and destroy the good we seek to be. In this life it is not eradicated though we would like it to be however I think God uses it to both test and strengthen us. If it were to be eradicated, it would remove the freedom God gives us over choices we make, and we would be more like robots than a being made in the likeness of God. Victory over temptation can be a reality when we put on God’s armor and recognize the prelude to sin it is, but it is we who make the choice, ultimately to not give into that which is wrong

What does Paul mean by "the sinful nature" or "the flesh"?

Perhaps self-will - doing what one desires contrary to God/the Holy Spirit’s guidance, statues, commands, character. 

Is this ever eradicated?

Eradicated – as I yield/adhere to the Holy Spirit, as I abide I become more like Christ. When I do not yield/adhere and/or abide in Christ I pursue my own selfish desires.  On this side of heaven daily I must choose to glorify The Father more so than appease my desires that do not align with desires of The Father. Eradicated - not when I choose to appease my desires when they are contrary to the Holy - one day - the day when there will be no more sin, that's when total eradication occurs. 

There are victories each time I glorify The Father, each time I overcome. There are victories as I am overcoming; I fight from victory more so than for victory as hold to the work of Christ on Calvary. In Him I am redeemed, in Him I have redemption. I believe the inspired words of John: Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is. Taking a passage out of context - One day I shall be like Him; and as I dwell with Him on that day and after my sinful nature will be eradicated, I exist in complete victory for sin will no longer exist.   

Q1. (Romans 7:7-25) What does Paul mean by "the sinful nature" (NIV) or "the flesh" (ESV, KJV)? Is this ever eradicated? Can there ever be victory over temptation?

1. The corrupt human nature is dominated by sin and rebellion against God, which is controlled by our self-seeking desires. It also influences man to live as a god to himself and neglecting the will of God.

2.  No, but "It's still there as part of our fallen, imperfect, and broken being

3.  Yes, when we have the Holy Spirit within us. We need help because we cannot get the victory by ourselves.

Q1. (Romans 7:7-25) 
What does Paul mean by "the sinful nature" (NIV) or "the flesh" (ESV, KJV)? 
Is this ever eradicated? 

The sinful nature/or the flesh is the evil, corrupt nature we inherited from Adam. Even though, as believers we belong to Jesus, we still live in a wicked sinful world and have this sinful nature that is completely rotten. If we live by our sinful nature we try to gratify the desires of our corrupt nature, we live in active hostility to God, and we want our will and not God’s will – the flesh is dead towards God. But when we live according to the Spirit we focus on things that are eternal, we become more and more occupied with the Word of God, prayer, worship, and Christian service; which guarantees us a life of peace with God and a life of tranquillity. We need the Holy Spirit to help us fight against being dominated by the power of sin and yo prevent us from doing evil when we actually desire to do good. It is only when we become born again that we are no longer in the flesh but in the Spirit – we now belong to Christ and we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and we have victory through Christ because the power of the indwelling Spirit of Christ is greater than the power of the old sinful nature. We will always be in war against our sinful nature until when we go to be with our Lord Jesus. Ultimately, Satan’s power has been effectively destroyed as the war has already been won through our Saviour’s death and resurrection which conquered the power of sin and death forever. We will always have temptations, and the only way we can have victory over temptation is through the power of the Holy Spirit – if we live by the Spirit, we will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature (Galatians 5:16).

On 7/23/2018 at 1:34 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. The sinful nature is what we inherited from Adam and Eve after they sinned against God - rebellion, corrupt, living for self, evil desires, etc.

b. Not yet, but the Spirit is in the business of changing us and in giving us victory over sin.

c. But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own ****, and enticed. James 1:14  There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. I Cor. 10:13       We will be tempted but God replaces the old "operating system" (the sinful nature, the flesh), with a new "operating system," the Holy Spirit. As we learn to yield more and more to the Holy Spirit, we are freed from our slavery to the "sinful nature."

Q1. (Romans 7:7-25) What does Paul mean by "the sinful nature" (NIV) or "the flesh" (ESV, KJV)? Is this ever eradicated? Can there ever be victory over temptation?

Paul means that our old sinful nature is the one we were born with; the one we inherited from Adam before we were saved. It is our corrupt and unregenerate old Adam that we carry around with us. The nature that always wants to put ourselves and our desires before God or anything else. No, our old nature is never really eradicated it is replaced by the Holy Spirit. He helps us to live a more godly and Christ-honoring life. He helps us to override our old nature and do what we should do instead of what we should not do. Although we will still struggle with it until we get to heaven and have new resurrected bodies. Yes, there can be a victory when we yield to the Holy Spirit more and more we will have a better and stronger spiritual life. Yet I think that it is a daily struggle and sometimes we slip up and go backward. We must be in a very close walk with the Lord in order to do it. I am not that far yet into it myself. I have a long way to go.

QUESTION 1: LESSON 7.

What does Paul mean by "the sinful nature" (NIV) or "the flesh" (ESV, KJV)?

Here Paul is talking about our propensity to commit sin or succumbing to the desires of the flesh, knowingly breaking God’s commandments.

Is this ever eradicated?

In the process of walking in the Spirit one’s character is transformed and will be able to focus on the Spirit. If one lives by the Spirit the desires of the sinful nature will not prosper. (Galatians 5:16)

Yes, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. {Romans 8:2)

Q1. (Romans 7: 7-25) What does Paul means by “the sinful nature” or “the flesh” (ESV, KJV)? Is this ever eradicated? Can there be victory over temptation?

Q1a. Paul is referring to our corrupt human nature that’s dominated by our sin and rebellion against God. It was our undegenerated spirit apart from God that seek to live and be right in his own eye apart from God. In our sinful nature we were the epitome of Ephesians 2:1-3.

Q1b. No

Q1c. Yes, there can be victory over temptation through, “law of the Spirit of Life set me free from the law of sin and death” (Roman 8:2). I also recall “ No temptation has overtaken except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13)

Q1. (Romans 7: 7-25) What does Paul means by “the sinful nature” or “the flesh” (ESV, KJV)?

Temptation ,  Sin , and failure.    Tools of the Enemy of GOD.    'SIN'  is anything that can put a tear in the heart of our GOD.  LOVE and only the best is what our Creator has and wants for us. When we desire things other than GOD's perfect plan for us that " sinful nature " , which we inherited from Adam, starts to drive us; and it drives us further and further from the heart of GOD.

When we stray off course and veer away from that Godly path , our loving Father gave us 'sign posts' to guide us back which we call ' the LAW' , His Law.  Without His Law we would never know we were off course and on the road to destruction.  The 'flesh' gets distracted so easily and it becomes a struggle only when we realize GOD's way is actually  better for us and we try to get back on course. 

Is this ever eradicated?

Once off course, we find it an ever 'on-going ' struggle with the flesh,  however GOD has a plan for each of us and a road to recovery. 

Can there be victory over temptation?

Absolutely !  The more we come to know and Love our Father in heaven and invite His Spirit to dwell within us and be our guide back to our rightful place with Him , the stronger we get. Remember our " God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13).  God opened that door of redemption " because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. {Romans 8:2)  .    Victory is a daily journey back to the Father,  our father of Love who picks us up whenever we fall .... if we let HIM.                                                                                                             "As we learn to yield more and more to the Holy Spirit, we are freed from our slavery to the 'sinful nature.' ".

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1a.  The sin nature or the flesh is who we are when we are born and who we are chained to until we are born again and our spirit is brought from death to life in Christ. What I believe Paul is referring to is the part of our mind which is in process of regeneration by His Spirit, and will be until we are with Him in Heaven. It's the "will" which has not yet yielded to or surrendered to Holy Spirit's control or influence. (the unrenewed mind).

1b. No, I don't believe the flesh will ever be totally eradicated until our flesh is replaced with new Heavenly bodies in eternity. My experience has been that it dies a slow death....kind of like when I was sent out to pull the dandelions out of the lawn. I never could quite get the entire root, and many just kept coming up again. There IS hope for us.....and in many cases I did get the entire root out, and those didn't come up again. As we surrender more and more to His control, and as we allow Him to uproot and heal the broken places in us that seek out sin in order to "sedate" the emotional pain we've endured, and as we "soak" in and meditate on His Word, gradually our minds are renewed and sin is less attractive or addictive or compulsive and we/He is more victorious.

1c. There can be victory if we truly repent and seek His help and deliverance. (Rather than "excusing" sin as "not that bad" or not like others do, or I'm a lot better than I used to be). But our enemy is wily, and like the Coyote with that name, is ALWAYS lurking and lying in wait to temp us, and to set us up to fail. This may sound weird, but in early days he could even make me feel guilty when I was tempted but didn't sin, until I realized Jesus was tempted to the Nth degree yet without sin and that is the victory! I'm glad Paul was honest and transparent, to let us know that sin will always be an enemy with which we must contend.

After 75 years, I've learned when tempted, to yield to Holy Spirit's power rather than relying on my own will power to defeat temptation. He has given us His power and His Word to pull down strongholds and to take captive those thoughts and imaginations which enslave us, and which promote sin. Also, as I've aged, Holy Spirit has fine tuned what is sin....the big and obvious ones from youth are no longer an issue...but the niggly ones in the mind need looking after....self pity, letting anger fester to become resentment if ignored and not considering it sin, not preferring others over my own wants, judgmental thoughts, a critical spirit....the things no one sees but our loving Father Who is always seeking after righteousness and His reflection in us and in our thought life.

Sinful nature or flesh refers to corrupt human nature, dominated by sin and rebellion against God, the unregenerate personality of man apart from God, controlled by his self-seeking whims and desires -- that character which influences man to live as a god to himself. The flesh, the sinful nature, is unconsciously led around by Satan. We're duped and controlled. 

No it is not eradicated, It's still there as part of our fallen, imperfect, and broken being. But God replaces the old "operating system" (the sinful nature, the flesh), with a new "operating system," the Holy Spirit.

As we learn to yield more and more to the Holy Spirit, we are freed from our slavery to the "sinful nature."

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Romans 7:7-25)

Q. What does Paul mean by "the sinful nature" (NIV) or "the flesh" (ESV, KJV)? Is this ever eradicated?

A. By "the sinful nature" or "the flesh" Paul means the old Adamic nature that is inclined to sinful acts and rebellion towards God, the part of us that is not totally submitted to the control of the Holy Spirit.

Q. Can there ever be victory over temptation?

A. Yes by total daily submission to the power of God. But note that we will ever be tempted by Satan but can refuse to yield or refuse to be overcome by the temptation through reliance on the power of God through the Holy Spirit in us.

The sinful nature is that nature that is always wanting to do the evil things in the world. We see things and it looks good or it might feel good but that it is evil. This cannot be eradicated but with the help of God we can control it. There can be victory over temptation with the help of God.

When you are lead by the flesh, you feed your desire and whatever you want. Yes, we can have victory over temptation.Jesus came to break the sin of living after the flesh. We have to make a decision to live and walk by the spirit. We have to submit to God and allow the spirit to empower us to resist temptation and taking god by his word that he will give us an escape from the temptation. It can be a struggle and disheartening. but we have to stay focus on God.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:34 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The flesh refers to the human tendency to sin (and even love sinning).

This is not eradicated in this life on earth.

However, we can get victory over temptation by yielding to the Holy Spirit instead of our flesh.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:34 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Paul refers to sinful nature is the spirit that operates at human level ,or flesh level ,that which operates in human bodies to do ones own will to satisfy the reckless nature selfish desires without guidance and grace of Christ ,our redeemer and God incarnate.

Christ in His life on earth was tempted in every way ,We  cannot eradicate it.control it  without the  dependance on Christ through our companion guide  Holy Spirit  

Yield to the New Operating System.This law in Spirit free us from the slaver of sinful nature of every human heart and acts .

• 3 weeks later...

The "sinful nature" is our fleshly nature, the part of our soul, mind and body that continues to war against God, God's holiness, and His righteous standard of living.  We will do battle in our souls until the day Jesus comes and wins the war against Satan, so until then, we will face constant temptation to turn away from Christ and indulge the desires that lead us into sin.  The "desires" are different for each person but they all fit into the categories of the **** of the flesh, the **** of the eyes, and the pride of life.  With the help of the Holy Spirit, we can keep our sinful flesh and its impulses under control so that the flesh does not hold mastery over us.  We can indeed celebrate victory over temptation when we don't give in to it.  This is possible through prayerful resistance, sometimes by fleeing the temptation altogether.  

Each of these answers is a sermon unto itself!  

Q1. (Romans 7:7-25) What does Paul mean by "the sinful nature" (NIV) or "the flesh" (ESV, KJV)?

We are all sinners.  Our flesh is weak.  We will always be tempted by the ways of this world Satan the ruler of this world looks for our weaknesses and uses these things against us to try to win us.

Is this ever eradicated? No I believe these things are always with us.  God can use these things to help us to grow closer to him as we call on him in our darkest hours.

Can there ever be victory over temptation? I believe everytime we are tempted and walk away from that temptation it is a victory!